Victor, Why All Of The Hate?

Permanent-Rush

Victor is a great solo album and I am sick and tired of people saying things like:

Victor should have been an instrumental album

Victor is shit

Alex should of not have been speeking in some of the songs

He should of chose a different singer

His wife should not of sang on Start Today

Victor is garbage

ETC

Even though Victor is about a guy who has mental issues and kills his wife, it Is still a great album IMO.

You asked a question in the thread title which is answered easily enough: people hate what they hate and like what they like. No further analysis is needed. Perhaps you really wanted to ask why people voice negative opinions about Victor, and that answer is likewise simple to understand: this is a message board where people to come to express their opinions. If asked if they prefer Victor, those who don't are as entitled to express their opinions as those who do.

But you ask no questions in the actual OP. You might find this hard to understand at the age you are now, but there's an expression that goes "discretion is the better part of valor" which means (among other things), "sometimes it's better to keep things to yourself". There are a kagillion things I'm "sick and tired" of, but I don't post about them because I (rightly, I suspect) figure no one cares about what I'm sick and tired of. Posting about such things so just seems to invite a lot of unwanted commentary, don't you think?

Edited by JARG
  • Like 1

I admit I may not have heard a single track from Victor...I find I'm curious now.

I would be the first to admit that its not as good as Ged's solo album, but it has interesting moments. At least he was thinking outside the box a little. It is bizarro at times. Edwin is a little screamy but I am the Spirit, Promise and Strip and Go Naked are good tracks. At the End is pretty cool, I like the vibe. But pretty much everything else on it falls short.

All that said, I do like Victor more than I like MFH. But then again, I prefer spicy food to bland food, so maybe there's a correlation.
  • Like 1

All that said, I do like Victor more than I like MFH. But then again, I prefer spicy food to bland food, so maybe there's a correlation.

I will NOT stand for your constant attacks on Presto. STOP IT NOW.

• Like 2

If you could take the best tracks from both and make one decent album, what would they be?

I'm thinking

My Favourite Headache

Promise

Start Today

Working at Perfekt

Home on the Strange

Strip and Go Naked

Shut Up Shuttin' Up (voices removed)

Slipping

Still

Mr. X

• Like 2

If you could take the best tracks from both and make one decent album, what would they be?

I'm thinking

My Favourite Headache

Promise

Start Today

Working at Perfekt

Home on the Strange

Strip and Go Naked

Shut Up Shuttin' Up (voices removed)

Slipping

Still

Mr. X

I'm just going to pick 10 songs because that's what you did.

These:

1 My Favorite Headache

2 Promise

3 Start Today

4 Mr. X

5 Runaway Train

6 Moving to Bohemia

7 Shut Up Shuttin' Up (voices removed)

8 Home On the Strange

9 Grace to Grace

10 Strip and Go Naked

Vocals breakdown...

Geddy: 5

Dalbello: 1

Edwin: 1

None: 3

Says a lot.

• Like 1

Listening to Victor now. Somehow I made it to Strip and Go Naked, a good instrumental. But the 3 tracks prior to that are hard to listen to -- vocally. Edwin sounds like the typical, boring 90s vocalist. Then on Shut Up Shuttin' Up, I do my best to ignore Charlene and her friend's banter...but unfortunately I can't. "Stop" will be pressed after this tune finishes. Screw the last 3 tracks.

Listening to Victor now. Somehow I made it to Strip and Go Naked, a good instrumental. But the 3 tracks prior to that are hard to listen to -- vocally. Edwin sounds like the typical, boring 90s vocalist. Then on Shut Up Shuttin' Up, I do my best to ignore Charlene and her friend's banter...but unfortunately I can't. "Stop" will be pressed after this tune finishes. Screw the last 3 tracks.

:o

In the Presto thread I used this same ratings scale:

4 = great

3 = good

2= ok

1 = bad

0 = shouldn't have been made

Victor got a score of 1.54.

4 = great

3 = good

2= ok

1 = bad

Now you two are just trolling each other!

• Like 1

4 = great

3 = good

2= ok

1 = bad

Not really. That's the score I'm giving it. I gave Presto a 2 point something.

Don't really see how my post is trolling.

((Edited to add this last section))

Forgot to include my ratings...

There were two songs that got 3s, two that got 2s, six that got 1s, but no 0s or 4s.

Explain the trolling bit because I don't even think Surrender was trolling here. She simply posted a surprise/shock smiley because of my last sentence of "Screw the last 3..."

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

Listening to it right now!! BEST SOLO ALBUM EVER!!

really.

RAM

Small Change

Highway 61

Plastic Ono Band

Ziggy

All Things must pass

Gift of Screws

Ummm......Everything else in excistance that's a solo album......no.

um......o......k.

Mick

• Like 3

I think there was also a lot of expectation when this album was announced. The first full solo album from a member of RUSH. A lot of people also thought that Alex would be off the leash after years of being shackled during the synth era and solo-compromised during the grunge era. And maybe he felt like he was off the leash but it didn't sound like it because he didn't produce the quality tunes and riffs and melodies and solos that he was known for in the 70's and the 80's on this. Instead he came up with a hard-to-listen-to mixture of oddball stuff from a nu-metal-sounding dirge to creepy WH Auden poetry with leaden background music, to his "wife" talking absolute nonsense about hair on the toilet seat and other ridiculous shit while Alex plays a tuneless batch of licks, to a weird female Geddy clone singing a dull melody-challenged feminist anthem. Maybe there were too many women involved in this production? Edited by treeduck
  • Like 2

Listening to it right now!! BEST SOLO ALBUM EVER!!

really.

RAM

Small Change

Highway 61

Plastic Ono Band

Ziggy

All Things must pass

Gift of Screws

Ummm......Everything else in excistance that's a solo album......no.

um......o......k.

Mick

It is my opinion. I can like this solo album all I want.

4 = great

3 = good

2= ok

1 = bad

There were two songs that got 3s, two that got 2s, six that got 1s, but no 0s or 4s.

Explain the trolling bit because I don't even think Surrender was trolling here. She simply posted a surprise/shock smiley because of my last sentence of "Screw the last 3..."

It was a joke.

• Like 1

I didn't like it. To each his own.

Now, My Favorite Headache on the other hand is brilliant!

4 = great

3 = good

2= ok

1 = bad

It was a joke.

Sheesh. A smiley would've been nice. I'm no mind reader.

• Like 1