Victor, Why All Of The Hate?

Permanent-Rush

Victor is a great solo album and I am sick and tired of people saying things like:

Victor should have been an instrumental album

Victor is shit

Alex should of not have been speeking in some of the songs

He should of chose a different singer

His wife should not of sang on Start Today

Victor is garbage

ETC

Even though Victor is about a guy who has mental issues and kills his wife, it Is still a great album IMO.

It's too derivative and lacks any replay value IMHO

Alex was what, like 42 or 43 years old at the time, and he's making a record full of riffs that sound like what every cliché band was doing at that moment ....

It's one thing when he's 21 years old and has some Jimmy Page in him, but Rush became such a creative force by the time the 80s rolled around, and Alex's input and parts was so important to those songs - to the Rush vibe ..

It's just really disappointing to me .. If it's what he wanted, great - but there's gotta be something in it for me, and there was nothing

• Like 6

Alex was what, like 42 or 43 years old at the time, and he's making a record full of riffs that sound like what every cliché band was doing at that moment ....

It's one thing when he's 21 years old and has some Jimmy Page in him, but Rush became such a creative force by the time the 80s rolled around, and Alex's input and parts was so important to those songs - to the Rush vibe ..

It's just really disappointing to me .. If it's what he wanted, great - but there's gotta be something in it for me, and there was nothing

I agree. It could have been something amazing and it ended up like that drunken bonfire video. It's like he just wanted to screw around, but why release it if it isn't at least up to the quality of a Rush record.

• Like 4

I don't hate it; it's not like I play it all the time, and yes, it is a little strange in places, but for the most part, I do like it. My favorite track is Shut Up Shuttin Up, with Charlene and Esther.
  • Like 1

Dear Ms.74,

It deeply saddens me to hear that others would dare share their opinions and drive you to being sick and tired. I believe every living being on Earth should automatically know what you are thinking at all times. Additionally, if their ideas or opinions differ from yours, they should immediately switch to thoughts which are in alignment with yours. Fortunately, I am sympathetic to your problem and offer my assistance. Please write a list of all the things (whether they're Rush-related or not) that make you sick and tired. I will then take this list and eliminate all of those oppositional TRFer thoughts. Do not worry about how I can do it, just understand that I can. But let's just say my powers of mental telepathy extend into manipulation. Also, do not worry how you can repay me. I will do it because fairness dictates that everyone agrees with you 100% at all times.

Sincerely,

Zarathos, the demon who possesses JohnnyBlaze

:blaze:

• Like 6

If someone (like me) does not like Edwin's voice on Victor, and than another persons asks what the people reading think about Victor, should I not answer- "I don't like Edwin's voice on Victor"?

I also said that I liked Alex tinkering around and trying new things. I won't say he shouldn't have released it because like you he probably liked it. That's fine by me. I love things others don't and they love things I don't. I think most of his tinkering didn't work. But some of it did. I think I'd like the album if it had been instrumental. At least I'd think it was okay.

These are not personal points of contention, they are subjective issues that matter nothing at all.

I imagine Alex wanted people to like the album, and I suppose it's sad if people don't.

But it isn't personal and it doesn't actually hurt anything.

• Like 1

Well, I've had a listen, and I actually like some of the songs (Strip and Go Naked in particular). It is a bit weird at times I will admit, I'm not best keen on the vocals, but I think I prefer it just a tad over MFH, it's a little more adventurous. As others have said before, both of the albums highlight why Alex and Geddy need each other musically.

I wasn't aware that there was this huge wave of hate for the album. But I also don't read any of the discussion about it on here because I didn't care about it when it was released and I don't care about it now. Unless Alex decides to continue this project in the future, I see no point of paying attention to what amounts to some random one off thing he did. Edited by J2112YYZ

I wasn't aware that there was this huge wave of hate for the album. But I also don't read any of the discussion about it on here because I didn't care about it when it was released and I don't care about it now. Unless Alex decides to continue this project in the future, I see no point of paying attention to what amounts to some random one off thing he did.

There isn't a huge wave of hate. In the other MFH vs Victor thread, some hated Victor, some liked it, but most were saying positive & negative things about it. Surrender only seems to remember the negative stuff. And the nonsense of saying "I'm tired of people saying it's shit" only ONE person in the other thread said it's shit. But even if it were 20 or 200 hating it, so what?

• Like 2

I agree. It could have been something amazing and it ended up like that drunken bonfire video. It's like he just wanted to screw around, but why release it if it isn't at least up to the quality of a Rush record.

Vanity project. Pure and simple. Go back and read Al's interviews at the time it was released. He was trying to prove to himself he could do it all on his own. And he admitted that when it came time to record T4E his heart initially was not in it and I think he wanted to continue working solo for awhile before returning to Rush. Then Neil's tragedies happened and it derailed everything. He said he did not want to listen to music or make music during that hiatus. Then when Neil returned, Al seized on the opportunity to inject VT with things he learned while making Victor. For whatever reason, by the time of VT he abandoned the idea of solo work and channeled it into VT. IMO of course.

Edited by Wil1972
  • Like 4

Vanity project. Pure and simple. Go back and read Al's interviews at the time it was released. He was trying to prove to himself he could do it all on his own. And he admitted that when it came time to record T4E his heart initially was not in it and I think he wanted to continue working solo for awhile before returning to Rush. Then Neil's tragedies happened and it derailed everything. He said he did not want to listen to music or make music during that hiatus. Then when Neil returned, Al seized on the opportunity to inject VT with things he learned while making Victor. For whatever reason, by the time of VT he abandoned the idea of solo work and channeled it into VT. IMO of course.

This perspective makes loads of sense to me. I've got to dig out my copy of Victor and have another listen.

• Like 1

Some more perspective I've just learned. According to her profile page, Surrender is only FIFTEEN! You're debating with a teenage girl folks. This is coming to mind....

We've known that she's 15 since she joined here. Everyone is well aware of who they're talking to.

• Like 3

Some more perspective I've just learned. According to her profile page, Surrender is only FIFTEEN! You're debating with a teenage girl folks. This is coming to mind....

Not all 15 year olds are bubble-headed morons. I have a 12 year old stepdaughter who could probably hold her own with a lot of adults when discussing certain topics.

• Like 4

Not all 15 year olds are bubble-headed morons. I have a 12 year old stepdaughter who could probably hold her own with a lot of adults when discussing certain topics.

Exactly.

Besides, nobody's really debating anything.

• Like 1