Jump to content


Favorite Rush album?

Rush favorite album

  • Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#41 Disk98

Disk98

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 3936 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey
  • Interests:New York Yankees
     electronics
    bass guitar
    piano

Posted 15 June 2016 - 04:26 PM

19.  Caress of Steel
18.  :rush:
17.  Test for Echo
16.  Snakes & Arrows
15.  Hemispheres
14.  Fly by Night
13.  Roll the Bones
12.  A Farewell to Kings
11.  Presto
10.  Signals
9.  Grace Under Pressure
8.  Hold Your Fire
7.  Counterparts
6.  Power Windows
5.  2112
4.  Vapor Trails
3.  Clockwork Angels
2.  Permanent Waves
1.  Moving Pictures

Sponsored Post

#42 ytserush

ytserush

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 4241 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:United States

Posted 15 June 2016 - 05:52 PM

I'd put Vapor Trails, Snakes and Arrows and Clockwork Angels up against anything. Your mileage may vary.

#43 grep

grep

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 913 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 June 2016 - 08:23 PM

Today?

FBN.

#44 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 34550 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    Type O Negative
    Machine Head
    Mastodon
    Trivium
    Metallica
    Jimmy Eat World
    The Juliana Theory
    Bruce Springsteen

Posted 15 June 2016 - 08:41 PM

View PostLucas, on 15 June 2016 - 12:53 AM, said:

View Posttony990, on 14 June 2016 - 08:13 PM, said:

Wow...a lot of mixed opinions about Caress of Steel I notice!

I didn't really like the album because I feel Fountain of Lamneth was way too long and they just made it so long to stretch the album. "I Think I'm Going Bald" was also a negative, because it didn't tell much of a story and I didn't really dig the beat. Bastille Day and Lakeside Park were good, and The Necromancer was alright, but the other two songs I don't like.

Thoughts?

The Necromancer is one of the greatest hard rock / metal / prog songs ever

My psychotic love for Cygnus X1 is the only thing that makes me put the "one of" in there ... The Necromancer is an incredible piece of music and represents the dawn of the greatest era in music history very very well

Agreed. I instantly fell in love with CoS the first time I heard it. Over the three years of owning it it's become my second favourite Rush album after AFTK. It has an atmosphere that is unique and musically it's just so ambitious and I can get lost in it. Every song is a winner.

Strange but satisfying.

#45 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 34550 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    Type O Negative
    Machine Head
    Mastodon
    Trivium
    Metallica
    Jimmy Eat World
    The Juliana Theory
    Bruce Springsteen

Posted 15 June 2016 - 08:42 PM

View Postgrep, on 15 June 2016 - 08:23 PM, said:

Today?

FBN.

I used to hate on this album.

I was truly an idiot.

#46 DirkPrattLerxst

DirkPrattLerxst

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1139 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Iowa USA
  • Interests:Professional air bassist/drummer/guitarist

Posted 15 June 2016 - 10:30 PM

As others have said, there is greatness in every album. My favorite album will switch periodically. Right now that album is Hold Your Fire.

#47 DirkPrattLerxst

DirkPrattLerxst

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1139 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Iowa USA
  • Interests:Professional air bassist/drummer/guitarist

Posted 15 June 2016 - 10:31 PM

View PostDisk98, on 15 June 2016 - 04:26 PM, said:

19.  Caress of Steel
18.  :rush:
17.  Test for Echo
16.  Snakes & Arrows
15.  Hemispheres
14.  Fly by Night
13.  Roll the Bones
12.  A Farewell to Kings
11.  Presto
10.  Signals
9.  Grace Under Pressure
8.  Hold Your Fire
7.  Counterparts
6.  Power Windows
5.  2112
4.  Vapor Trails
3.  Clockwork Angels
2.  Permanent Waves
1.  Moving Pictures
Glad to see Vapor Trails up there :D

#48 Rutlefan

Rutlefan

    Rushaholic

  • Members
  • 2095 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Maryland
  • Interests:Things that roll and fly, Tolkien, baseball (depressingly fatalistic Tribe fan), classic sci-fi, history and such

Posted 17 June 2016 - 01:09 PM

Hemi. It's not as much a slam dunk as it once was, but it still edges out PeW and MP.

#49 MusicHead

MusicHead

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1272 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:MO
  • Interests:God, writing, family, football, Dean Koontz, music, all things Spidey and Marvel.

Posted 17 June 2016 - 04:04 PM

Signals
p/g
Moving Pictures
Power Windows

After that, things get a bit...murky.

#50 Rick N. Backer

Rick N. Backer

    Loves that dirty water

  • Members *
  • 24354 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New England

Posted 17 June 2016 - 07:11 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 14 June 2016 - 08:08 PM, said:

1. Hemispheres
2. A Farewell To Kings
3. Moving Pictures
4. Permanent Waves
5. Signals
6. 2112
7. Power Windows
8. Hold Your Fire
9. Grace Under Pressure
10. Caress Of Steel
11. Test For Echo
12. Counterparts
13. Roll The Bones
14. Snakes and Arrows
15. Clockwork Angels
16. Rush
17. Presto
18. Vapor Trails

You don't even consider Fly By Night worthy of being ranked?  :huh:

#51 Blue Barchetta

Blue Barchetta

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 625 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Georgia
  • Interests:Reading, writing, sports, and Rock n' Roll

Posted 17 June 2016 - 09:10 PM

I don't have the inclination to put the thought into ranking them all, but I can say Permanent Waves is on top and Test for Echo is on bottom.

#52 Powderfinger

Powderfinger

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 767 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Dallas, TX
  • Interests:Spaghetti

Posted 17 June 2016 - 10:44 PM

Signals
Hemispheres
Moving Pictures
A Farewell to Kings
Permanent Waves
2112
Caress of Steel
Grace Under Pressure
Fly By Night
Power Windows
Hold Your Fire
Roll the Bones
Rush
Clockwork Angels
Presto
Counterparts
Snakes and Arrows
Vapor Trails
Test for Echo

#53 Disk98

Disk98

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 3936 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey
  • Interests:New York Yankees
     electronics
    bass guitar
    piano

Posted 18 June 2016 - 12:28 AM

View PostDirkPrattLerxst, on 15 June 2016 - 10:31 PM, said:

View PostDisk98, on 15 June 2016 - 04:26 PM, said:

19.  Caress of Steel
18.  :rush:
17.  Test for Echo
16.  Snakes & Arrows
15.  Hemispheres
14.  Fly by Night
13.  Roll the Bones
12.  A Farewell to Kings
11.  Presto
10.  Signals
9.  Grace Under Pressure
8.  Hold Your Fire
7.  Counterparts
6.  Power Windows
5.  2112
4.  Vapor Trails
3.  Clockwork Angels
2.  Permanent Waves
1.  Moving Pictures
Glad to see Vapor Trails up there :D
I choose to look past the subpar audio quality and consider Vapor Trails to be an utter masterpiece.

#54 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 34550 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    Type O Negative
    Machine Head
    Mastodon
    Trivium
    Metallica
    Jimmy Eat World
    The Juliana Theory
    Bruce Springsteen

Posted 18 June 2016 - 04:37 AM

View PostDisk98, on 18 June 2016 - 12:28 AM, said:

View PostDirkPrattLerxst, on 15 June 2016 - 10:31 PM, said:

View PostDisk98, on 15 June 2016 - 04:26 PM, said:

19.  Caress of Steel
18.  :rush:
17.  Test for Echo
16.  Snakes & Arrows
15.  Hemispheres
14.  Fly by Night
13.  Roll the Bones
12.  A Farewell to Kings
11.  Presto
10.  Signals
9.  Grace Under Pressure
8.  Hold Your Fire
7.  Counterparts
6.  Power Windows
5.  2112
4.  Vapor Trails
3.  Clockwork Angels
2.  Permanent Waves
1.  Moving Pictures
Glad to see Vapor Trails up there :D
I choose to look past the subpar audio quality and consider Vapor Trails to be an utter masterpiece.

I actually think the nature of the songs suits the burnt sound. It's acidic angry and fierce at times. An accident that actually did the songs justice. The remix is cleaner but far less emotional in my opinion.

Vapor Trails has had moments where it is all the Rush I think I need. If I could only have one Rush album, I could easily see me picking VT.

#55 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

    Beauty and the Bass

  • Members
  • 21908 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Phoenix, Arizona
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 18 June 2016 - 08:24 AM

View PostRick N. Backer, on 17 June 2016 - 07:11 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 14 June 2016 - 08:08 PM, said:

1. Hemispheres
2. A Farewell To Kings
3. Moving Pictures
4. Permanent Waves
5. Signals
6. 2112
7. Power Windows
8. Hold Your Fire
9. Grace Under Pressure
10. Caress Of Steel
11. Test For Echo
12. Counterparts
13. Roll The Bones
14. Snakes and Arrows
15. Clockwork Angels
16. Rush
17. Presto
18. Vapor Trails

You don't even consider Fly By Night worthy of being ranked?  :huh:

I amended my mistake in another post. I put it at about 9.5.

Edited by EagleMoon, 18 June 2016 - 08:25 AM.


#56 rftag

rftag

    The Seeker

  • Members *
  • 315 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NYC
  • Interests:Scuba diving, travel, science, philosophy, wildlife, skepticism, belief systems, consciousness

Posted 18 June 2016 - 09:31 PM

My mind changes a lot but right now I would say Farewell to Kings.

#57 Permanent-Rush

Permanent-Rush

    The Dream Police

  • Members
  • 46290 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Napoli, Italy
  • Interests:R.E.M., Bill Berry, Mike Mills, Michael Stipe, Peter Buck ,Hanging out with my best friends Heather Sylv and Jas, Drawing and drumming, thinking about life, photography, listening to music, writing.

Posted 18 June 2016 - 09:41 PM

It will always be Permanent Waves!

#58 Texas King

Texas King

    Rushaholic

  • Members
  • 1849 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 31 January 2017 - 04:03 PM

For a list of my top 10 Rush albums here I go:
1.Permanent Waves
2.Hemispheres
3.A Farewell to Kings
4.Moving Pictures
5.2112
6.Caress of Steel
7.Grace Under Pressure
8.Signals
9.Fly by Night
10.Power Windows

#59 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 34550 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    Type O Negative
    Machine Head
    Mastodon
    Trivium
    Metallica
    Jimmy Eat World
    The Juliana Theory
    Bruce Springsteen

Posted 31 January 2017 - 05:23 PM

A tie between Vapor Trails and Hold Your Fire.

#60 toddlimelight

toddlimelight

    Restless Young Rushmantic

  • Members
  • 56 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Detroit
  • Interests:Rush, drums, money, good flicks, good food, chicks

Posted 31 January 2017 - 05:50 PM

1. Permanent Waves
2. Moving Pictures
3. Hemispheres
4. A Farewell To Kings
5. Signals
6. 2112
7. Fly By Night
8. Counterparts
9. Caress Of Steel  (this is a weird-ass album, but has some great playing on...wish it were better)
10. Roll The Bones
11. Vapor Trails
12. Grace Under Pressure
13. Clockwork Angels
14. Rush
15. Snakes and Arrows
16. Presto
17. Power Windows
18. Test For Echo
19. Hold Your Fire





Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Rush, favorite, album

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users