Official AC/DC Thread

Rod in Toronto

ranton.gif I love AC/DC. They're a great fun rock and roll band. There's no fancy lyrics here that tell you how your brain works or anything, just awesome sauce RAWK. IMO, Highway to Hell, Back in Black and Black Ice. When they announced Black Ice, I was afraid it would suck like No Bull, but it turned out to be one of their best albums.

The last time they came to montreal, they chose the olympic stadium. I remember watching baseball there as a kid, the place was one big echo machine. There was no way in hell that I was going to pay to see them there. I would love to go see them live, but somewhere with better acoustics. rantoff.gif

FOR THOSE ABOUT TO ROCK....

FIRE!!!

WE

SAL-

LUTE

YOU!

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Jan 24 2012, 01:49 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 24 2012, 01:46 AM)
This band are what heavy metal is about!

1022.gif

This band IS Rock N' Roll! trink39.gif

yes.gif

And Bon was the personification of it. Everything he wrote and sang embodied the essence of rock & roll.

QUOTE (invisible airwave @ Jan 24 2012, 03:47 PM)
QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Jan 24 2012, 01:49 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 24 2012, 01:46 AM)
This band are what heavy metal is about!

1022.gif

This band IS Rock N' Roll! trink39.gif

"Rolling Stones on steroids" as Zakk Wylde once said.

The Rolling Stones are watered down METAL!

1287.gif 1022.gif

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-acdc-releases-catalog-through-itunes-20121119,0,7333616.story

The digital music world is a bit louder this morning. AC/DC, the Australian hard rock band whose heavy metal thunder has never been available for legal download, has stepped into the 21st century and released its music through iTunes, the band announced Monday morning.

After years of stubbornly arguing that iTunes was, in the words of singer Brian Johnson, “going to kill music if they’re not careful,” the band reached a deal with the company to sell its entire catalog -- 16 studio albums, four live albums and three compilations -- through the service. It’s too early to predict whether this move marks the death knell for melody, rhythm and/or song.

But “Hells Bells” sure sounds great. Like the rest of the Australian band’s big-riffed music, the classic 1980 song about Satan, death and “black sensations” has been remastered, and the opening church bells have never rang clearer (that is, unless you’ve grabbed a copy of “Back in Black” on vinyl for a dollar at a garage sale, but that’s a whole other conversation).

Until Monday, AC/DC was one of the last high-profile holdouts from the digital music marketplace. It had outlasted the Beatles, Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd, all of which jumped into the realm long after much of the population had accepted the downloading future. Only two artists remain steadfast: Garth Brooks and Kid Rock, neither of whom offer downloadable versions their backcatalog, but Rock recently broke ranks and is selling his new album "Rebel Soul" via iTunes.

Angus Young, AC/DC’s lead guitarist (known for wearing a schoolboy’s uniform when performing), had long argued against hawking the band’s music via iTunes or any other digital service. He didn’t like the idea of allowing for individual song downloads -- submitting that the group’s albums were designed to be listened to from beginning to end.

“It’s like an artist who does a painting,” he said in 2008. “If he thinks it’s a great piece of work, he protects it. It’s the same thing: This is our work.”

He’s since changed his mind. Each of the group’s songs -- “You Shook Me All Night Long,” “Highway to Hell,” “Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap,” “Thunderstruck” and “Whole Lotta Rosie” among them -- is available individually for $1.29. Albums are priced at $9.99.

In keeping with Young's point, iTunes also offers a package deal that buys mega-fans the entire lot -- live albums, compilations and all -- for $149.99. And for those who haven’t had the time or sense to manually insert CD versions of the band’s studio albums into their computer and import them into iTunes, a mere $99 provides digital copies of all those in one fell swoop.

The untethered option is a good thing, however, because while AC/DC’s peaks have been spectacular over its nearly 40-year career, it’s also put forth a lot of compost. For example, suffering through “Big Balls” just to get to “Ride On" when buying “Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap” isn’t too good a deal, especially when a used CD is also dirt cheap.

Still, AC/DC's brand of proto-metal remains timeless, and its ability to resist the technology until now proves how devilishly immortal the band's sound remains in any format. Even if its work were only available carved into stone tablets, fans would still find a way to listen.

Now, if they can just make a deal with Spotify. Sure beats importing their albums in my laptop.

Listened to the new album today in my office. It's AC/DC. If you like them (I do) you'll love it. If you think Brian Johnson sucks (I don't) you won't.

What new album? You mean the one that came out four years ago? :LOL:

AC/DC was one of the first bands I got into when I was discovering rock music. They are also the first band that I bought every album from. Got into them around Blow Up Your Vidoe/The Razor's Edge timeframe. They were my favorite band for a few years as well. I still enjoy listening to them today, just no bullshit, good ass rock n roll music that you can put on anytime, anywhere and have a good time listening to it.

I understand the stance they had against iTunes but just because people were buying the whole album doesn't mean they're listening to the whole thing every time they play it. It's rather naive of them to believe that most people still do that now. It was a smart thing for them to reach and agreement with iTunes. Not that the band needs anymore cash but they were really missing out on a lot of money still by not doing that. Whatever profession you're in you should be trying to make as much money as you can and while I know a lot of people don't like iTunes, it's where the future of music is unfortunately and AC/DC will make a lot by making their music available on it.

Listened to the new album today in my office. It's AC/DC. If you like them (I do) you'll love it. If you think Brian Johnson sucks (I don't) you won't.

AC/DC was one of the first bands I got into when I was discovering rock music. They are also the first band that I bought every album from. Got into them around Blow Up Your Vidoe/The Razor's Edge timeframe. They were my favorite band for a few years as well. I still enjoy listening to them today, just no bullshit, good ass rock n roll music that you can put on anytime, anywhere and have a good time listening to it.

I understand the stance they had against iTunes but just because people were buying the whole album doesn't mean they're listening to the whole thing every time they play it. It's rather naive of them to believe that most people still do that now. It was a smart thing for them to reach and agreement with iTunes. Not that the band needs anymore cash but they were really missing out on a lot of money still by not doing that. Whatever profession you're in you should be trying to make as much money as you can and while I know a lot of people don't like iTunes, it's where the future of music is unfortunately and AC/DC will make a lot by making their music available on it.

Live at River Plate was released on November 19, 2012. :hi:

Yeah, I know. Not saying "live" album threw me off :wacko:

Yeah, I know. Not saying "live" album threw me off :wacko:

It's the only "new" one they have.

I love Bon. Brian is good in small doses, but Bon is timeless - I can listen to him all night. I love Ride On.

"One of these days, I'm gonna change my evil ways...heh, someday..."

:haz:

I love Bon. Brian is good in small doses, but Bon is timeless - I can listen to him all night. I love Ride On.

A relatively common observation. I got into them in 1980, so I only got into the Bon Scott stuff after he had passed and my first exposure to the band was Back in Black. I listened to Live at River Plate at the gym this morning and then Let There Be Rock: The Movie soundtrack on the train. No question that with Brian the band is more one dimensional. It works for me, but the early stuff does have a little more variety in "feel."

• Like 1

A relatively common observation. I got into them in 1980, so I only got into the Bon Scott stuff after he had passed and my first exposure to the band was Back in Black. I listened to Live at River Plate at the gym this morning and then Let There Be Rock: The Movie soundtrack on the train. No question that with Brian the band is more one dimensional. It works for me, but the early stuff does have a little more variety in "feel."

The nuance is Bon's voice is oft times overlooked. I find Brian to be much more of a screamer. A band I used to play in had a singer that sounded just like Bon. We would bring the house down when we started with the AC/DC - always Bon. He had very little regard for Brian.

I also got into AC/DC after Bon died and Back in Black was the rage in high school (my God, was it really *that* long ago?). When I listen back to the catalog, Bon's stuff is astounding. I don't own any material with Brian.

Regardless of the singer, AC/DC is still one of the hardest rocking bands and play with more energy than 90% of the acts out there.

In Brian´s defense, death always works to the advantage of musicians, and it helped Bon build a legend around his name. Can you guys imagine if Clapton had died instead of Hendrix, Eddie Van Halen instead of Randy Rhoads, Ian Paice instead of Bonham and so on? I´m sure the comparisons would be completely different. Brian has a lot more records with AC/DC, and it´s ok for them to sound repetitive sometimes after such a long run.
  • Like 1

The nuance is Bon's voice is oft times overlooked. I find Brian to be much more of a screamer. A band I used to play in had a singer that sounded just like Bon. We would bring the house down when we started with the AC/DC - always Bon. He had very little regard for Brian.

I also got into AC/DC after Bon died and Back in Black was the rage in high school (my God, was it really *that* long ago?). When I listen back to the catalog, Bon's stuff is astounding. I don't own any material with Brian.

Regardless of the singer, AC/DC is still one of the hardest rocking bands and play with more energy than 90% of the acts out there.

I gather that you're around my age (I'm 45). You don't own Back in Black? Blasphemy! :)

I gather that you're around my age (I'm 45). You don't own Back in Black? Blasphemy! :)

I own Back in Black. Can't remember the last time I listened to it, though.

I own Back in Black. Can't remember the last time I listened to it, though.

I'm going through a little AC/DC binge right now. Back in Black probably gets the nod for my run today.