Official AC/DC Thread

Rod in Toronto

In 2008 I've made a visit to Scotland and of course a side trip to Bon's birthplace. Here's the picture of his memorial stone:

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh597/greyfriar2112/bonscott_zps0d539ab6.jpg

• Like 3

I'm disappointed in the lack of respect Blow Up Your Video is getting in this thread. I love that album.

LOOOOOVE that album!! It kicks major ass!!!!!!!! \m/

In 2008 I've made a visit to Scotland and of course a side trip to Bon's birthplace. Here's the picture of his memorial stone:

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh597/greyfriar2112/bonscott_zps0d539ab6.jpg

Ohhhhhhhh :heart:

• Like 1

and for the record- I truly don't care what's in their setlist. I'd be happy with absolutely any songs of theirs I get to see live.

Having an AC/DC visual day today. River Plate, followed by Plug Me In, maybe one of the Backtracks DVDs too finish things. Marvellous. :haz:

Have all of those \,m/

River Plate is astounding. I need my.....4th replacement of the Donington DVD lol

I never knew this was here but I have very strong opinions on AC/DC. As with Rush and a few other bands back in the mid to late 70's AC/DC was not popular to like. I loved them. I have all the albums up to Back In Black. The imports the whole nine yards. Let There Be Rock has to be one of the best rock albums ever made and get's very little if any love. I listen to it all the time to this day and it makes me feel good every time I do. Their 3 album run from LTBR through HTH has to be as good a run as any band has produced. I know Back In Black is typically name checked as their best and greatest, but I do not think so. Bon Scott was the man and in my humble opinion when he passed the band suffered greatly. I was curious at the time what Back In Black was going to be like, just like all their fans at that time. I liked it and it did put them main stream and that's where i got off. I saw them once with Bon Scott in 79' in Baltimore and it was one of the best shows I ever saw and I have seen lot's. I saw them twice with Brian Johnson. They were good with Brian Johnson, but just not the same for me. I guess it would be different if had become a fan post 1980, and I get that. They went wrong in my opinion just like many of my favorites (Priest, Scorpions etc.). As I have stated on this forum many times even the best of the best Rush went south along the way. Just my opinion as always............ Gone way to soon Bon RIP :rose:
  • Like 4

I never knew this was here but I have very strong opinions on AC/DC. As with Rush and a few other bands back in the mid to late 70's AC/DC was not popular to like. I loved them. I have all the albums up to Back In Black. The imports the whole nine yards. Let There Be Rock has to be one of the best rock albums ever made and get's very little if any love. I listen to it all the time to this day and it makes me feel good every time I do. Their 3 album run from LTBR through HTH has to be as good a run as any band has produced. I know Back In Black is typically name checked as their best and greatest, but I do not think so. Bon Scott was the man and in my humble opinion when he passed the band suffered greatly. I was curious at the time what Back In Black was going to be like, just like all their fans at that time. I liked it and it did put them main stream and that's where i got off. I saw them once with Bon Scott in 79' in Baltimore and it was one of the best shows I ever saw and I have seen lot's. I saw them twice with Brian Johnson. They were good with Brian Johnson, but just not the same for me. I guess it would be different if had become a fan post 1980, and I get that. They went wrong in my opinion just like many of my favorites (Priest, Scorpions etc.). As I have stated on this forum many times even the best of the best Rush went south along the way. Just my opinion as always............ Gone way to soon Bon RIP :rose:

I'm not a Brian Johnson fan AT ALL. Bon Scott only for me.

My partner at work took me to AC/DC show in NYC at the Palladium in 1978. Never heard of them... WALL OF SOUND and I was a fan when I heard "Let There Be Rock" 13:40 in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkEnbXnoqkw

Edited by custom55
  • Like 3

Like Narpet, I'm a huge AC/DC fan and have all the import vinyls, minus Powerage ( :boohoo: ) with Cold Hearted Man. Nothing beats Bon-era AC/DC, and LTBR has some of the best stuff, for sure. I also love the less popular tracks from Dirty Deeds: Love at First Feel, Ain't No Fun, There's Gonna Be Some Rockin', and of course Squealer, which has one of Angus best solos.
  • Like 3

^^^^Killer version of Dog Eat Dog, Custom55! Rocker as well! The Bad Boy Boogie version here sounds a lot like the one used on the live album If You Want Blood. Edited by goose

I'm not a Brian Johnson fan AT ALL. Bon Scott only for me.

My partner at work took me to AC/DC show in NYC at the Palladium in 1978. Never heard of them... WALL OF SOUND and I was a fan when I heard "Let There Be Rock" 13:40 in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkEnbXnoqkw

Thanks so much Custom55! That brought a couple tears to my eyes fists%20crying.gif . That's the way I remember them and the way I choose to remember them! At their best. They were great then and very few even knew it. When I saw them at Towson State Univ. in Baltimore in 79' I will never forget it. Pat Travers Band opened and I was a fan of their's also. I have a lot of their albums also. The night of the show was the night of game 7 of the World Series that year. Orioles and Pirates. The "We Are Family" Pirates (damn Disco). They beat the O's that night and Bon Scott got on the mike and dedicated a song to the losing Orioles. Shot Down In Flames! I can remember it just like it was yesterday. Anyway, much obliged. Owe you one! :notworthy:
  • Like 1

man, I was listening to "Let There Be Rock" today on vinyl and all I was focusing on was Angus in the left channel (or was it the right one?!?), and of course the solos in the middle. I know Angus isn't the most proficient player around but the groove and the attitude almost reminded me a little of EVH, with his spontaneity and excitement. I swear most of Angus's guitar parts mustof been in one take, you can hear it in the songs. No frills, no overproduction, not even close to perfection.....just hit record and let 'er rip.

I was listening to H2H on vinyl a couple days ago and I couldnt stop listening to Cliff's bass groove throughout the record. Again, like Angus, not known for being phenominal, but Cliff fits that band perfectly. I just love the Cliff and Phil rhythm section, especially on tracks like "Walk All Over You", "Love Hungry Man", and "Girls Got Rhythm".

70's AC/DC is a classic era of rock history, never to be reproduced by anybody, even AC/DC themselves. Just timeless.

• Like 2

I am a huge AC/DC fan and I’ve seen both vocalists live. What Bon had was a rapport with his audience and it was his audience. Brian doesn’t try to communicate – he just belts the songs out, then silence, next song, more silence. Zero banter.

Perhaps I’m being nostalgic, but one of my favourite gigs was Newcastle Mayfair January ’80, AC/DC with Diamond Head supporting (Bon’s second last gig). The venue was packed and bouncing. The ticket cost me £3.50, plus my copy of Live and Dangerous, from a mate of a mate.

On the Black Ice tour, I paid in excess of £60 for the ticket, had my glasses broken (another £230) and watched a band play almost the same set as it was in ’80. Loved it! All except the 25 minute version of Let There Be Rock and Angus’s (tedious) solo.

Album-wise the best is Powerage (with Cold Hearted Man and NOT Damnation), followed by Highway to Hell. Back in Black is a classic, but the most under-rated Brian album is Flick of the Switch, which I’ve said before is Powerage’s b*st*rd son.

• Like 1

By the way, here´s me at the Bon Scott statue in Fremantle - with more or less 10 kilos more than I weight today!

They even have a Bon Scott guided tour, and Bon´s grave at the Fremantle cemetery is one of the stops.

http://images.orkut.com/orkut/photos/PQAAAH0qMyfyOlwcfpNAmxdADqRE4d4E1IxsfPZyZwgd3KHVpSY-SFYT9y-e2xjrHq07uh4yyWj0Yn_O7zPdAQoFZH4Am1T1ULvKHv6GX_6Gv9WVzxU1JZR23Sww.jpg

• Like 4

I was listening to H2H on vinyl a couple days ago and I couldnt stop listening to Cliff's bass groove throughout the record.

Funny, "Gone Shootin" came on the I-shuffle this morning and I immediately focused on Cliff's bass groove. It's like the whole song was built around his steady beat...not fancy, but perfect.

By the way, here´s me at the Bon Scott statue in Fremantle - with more or less 10 kilos more than I weight today!

They even have a Bon Scott guided tour, and Bon´s grave at the Fremantle cemetery is one of the stops.

http://images.orkut.com/orkut/photos/PQAAAH0qMyfyOlwcfpNAmxdADqRE4d4E1IxsfPZyZwgd3KHVpSY-SFYT9y-e2xjrHq07uh4yyWj0Yn_O7zPdAQoFZH4Am1T1ULvKHv6GX_6Gv9WVzxU1JZR23Sww.jpg

Now that is super cool! Thanks for the post RA. :goodone:

Thanks, Narpet.

I didn´t take the full Bon Scott Tour but visited his grave. Lots of messages, roses, empty beer cans and bottles...

I recommed you all check out the movie Thunderstruck: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderstruck_(2004_film)

• Like 1

I am a huge AC/DC fan and I’ve seen both vocalists live. What Bon had was a rapport with his audience and it was his audience. Brian doesn’t try to communicate – he just belts the songs out, then silence, next song, more silence. Zero banter.

Perhaps I’m being nostalgic, but one of my favourite gigs was Newcastle Mayfair January ’80, AC/DC with Diamond Head supporting (Bon’s second last gig). The venue was packed and bouncing. The ticket cost me £3.50, plus my copy of Live and Dangerous, from a mate of a mate.

On the Black Ice tour, I paid in excess of £60 for the ticket, had my glasses broken (another £230) and watched a band play almost the same set as it was in ’80. Loved it! All except the 25 minute version of Let There Be Rock and Angus’s (tedious) solo.

Album-wise the best is Powerage (with Cold Hearted Man and NOT Damnation), followed by Highway to Hell. Back in Black is a classic, but the most under-rated Brian album is Flick of the Switch, which I’ve said before is Powerage’s b*st*rd son.

Meanwhile I would do awful things for the chance to see a 25 minute version of LTBR live!! *sigh*

Is it just a matter of preference that you like the Powerage album with CHM instead of Damnation? I love both songs. Powerage is a perfect record.

lol "Powerage's b*st*rd son" hahahaha very true!! I've always loved the gritty, raw rock sound of Flick. Always thought it was a fantastic album.

I was listening to H2H on vinyl a couple days ago and I couldnt stop listening to Cliff's bass groove throughout the record.

Funny, "Gone Shootin" came on the I-shuffle this morning and I immediately focused on Cliff's bass groove. It's like the whole song was built around his steady beat...not fancy, but perfect.

That entire ALBUM is bass-driven. FINALLY!! Someone brings it up!!

Every single song from Powerage is built around a killer bass riff. I've always noticed that before anything else.

• Like 2

That entire ALBUM is bass-driven. FINALLY!! Someone brings it up!!

Every single song from Powerage is built around a killer bass riff. I've always noticed that before anything else.

You have a great ear my dear. The rhythm section of AC/DC is highly underrated. The bass riffs, drums and Malcolm's rhythm guitar are the key to their sound. The glue that holds it all together and forces my foot to tap and my head to bob.

:guitar: :haz:

• Like 2

aw thank you :D

Yes, the rhythm section IS what makes AC/DC. Angus may be the face of the band, but Malcolm, Phil & Cliff make AC/DC the amazing band they are.

• Like 2

While this isn't confirmed, I read an article a while back that said AC/DC may be doing a 40th anniversary tour next year. At least there's the possibility we can see them one more time live. They kicked ass when I saw them on the Black Ice tour and for all the flack some people give Brian Johnson, he did a hell of a job as the front man. Not too many guys in their 60s have the energy he does on stage. He worked that stage as good as anybody I've seen. He was even running and jumping around a good amount to. It seems everyone praises Bon for the great front man he was and I do understand that. I don't think Brian gets as much credit as he should for the great live performer he is. Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

Listened to Powerage during my workout this morning. I gotta say, I love listening to 1975 - 1979 AC/DC during my workouts. The banging rhythm guitar and thumping base line just put some serious pep in my step.......... :codger: :haz: What is next to the moon?

While this isn't confirmed, I read an article a while back that said AC/DC may be doing a 40th anniversary tour next year. At least there's the possibility we can see them one more time live. They kicked ass when I saw them on the Black Ice tour and for all the flack some people give Brian Johnson, he did a hell of a job as the front man. Not too many guys in their 60s have the energy he does on stage. He worked that stage as good as anybody I've seen. He was even running and jumping around a good amount to. It seems everyone praises Bon for the great front man he was and I do understand that. I don't think Brian gets as much credit as he should for the great live performer he is.

I think only recently Brian has had the recognition he deserves. He took one of the toughests spots in the world and did a great job. His voice is not what it used to be anymore, but he still gets the job done.

I´ve said this before over here, but while I admire Bon´s work A LOT, I grew up with the material theyr released witrh Brian, so he´s my favourite singer in AC/DC.