the "random music thoughts" thread

fledgehog

This is one of my favorite live shows. I'm typically the kind of person who prefers the studio version to the live stuff, but the live CD "Live at the Starland Ballroom" by Coheed is a masterpiece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqTHMyOBDS4

It's really the first time I hear the band and... I simply adore it! :)

(Another album to my wishlist)

Edited by rhyv
  • Like 1

This is one of my favorite live shows. I'm typically the kind of person who prefers the studio version to the live stuff, but the live CD "Live at the Starland Ballroom" by Coheed is a masterpiece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqTHMyOBDS4

It's really the first time I hear the band and... I simply adore it! :)

(Another album to my wishlist)

Great to hear :)

You can't go wrong with the album "In Keeping Secrets of the Silent Earth: 3"

• Like 1

WOW. Just found out about these guys from LA, called Ancestors.

Maybe best described as psychedelic stoner doom. :smoke: Brilliant band.

Here's a killer track called Corryvrecken, from the album In Dreams and Time (2012).

http://youtu.be/i_kKXvPDQSg

• Like 2

Was just listening to "Outside Woman Blues" by Cream and I couldn't help but notice that the lead guitar riff during the verses includes a bit that sounds just like the main harmonica motif in David Bowie's "Golden Years." Not making accusations here, just noticing. Anyone else ever notice that?
  • Like 1

I'm take by a new obsession with the work of Bertolt Brecht, in particular his Threepenny Opera. I suppose it's in response to reaching the end of my career and seeing that everything I did mattered immensely - and didn't.
  • Like 2

Toto, The Monkees, and Cheap Trick these days. Getting geeked for Anderson/Stolt, The Union of Sinners and Saints, and the new Switchfoot.
  • Like 3

Supper's Ready might just maybe possibly be my second favorite song ever. It's certainly about the only song I've ever seriously considered for the position. Every part is completely magical. It's something between rediscovering Tolkien for the first time and realizing Heaven and God's Love are for real. (Sorry if you don't agree with my personal beliefs; I don't judge, so please don't judge me).
  • Like 1

Supper's Ready might just maybe possibly be my second favorite song ever. It's certainly about the only song I've ever seriously considered for the position. Every part is completely magical. It's something between rediscovering Tolkien for the first time and realizing Heaven and God's Love are for real. (Sorry if you don't agree with my personal beliefs; I don't judge, so please don't judge me).

I share them. No worries!

• Like 1

Man the flower kings are criminally underrated. i know their part of the "Newer" prog wave. but i put them up against ANY of the classics.

Mick

A flower? ;)

• Like 2

Man the flower kings are criminally underrated. i know their part of the "Newer" prog wave. but i put them up against ANY of the classics.

Mick

A flower? ;)

lol........Yea. the Flower kings are good but they didn't write Supper's ready.

still my fav prog epic ever.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Mick

I said the other week I prefer older prog. Let me correct myself:

I am comfortably familiar with old prog. I think I need to widen out in the prog front. Because I do like a lot of modern prog metal (I don't count DT as to my ears they are fun but not something I could rank up their with my favourite bands...and Spock's Beard are very nice but haven't blown me away yet).

I've been thinking about this a while, but I'm rather sure of it now. I've been listening to quite a bit of Genesis lately (as some of you may know), and I've decided Genesis was one of the rare rock bands with an actual professional sense of dynamics. They could be loud and hard hitting, they could be pretty mezzo forte / mezzo piano, and most surprisingly, they could get really really quiet when they wanted to without the slightest difficulty, and often did. It can be hard to find a rock band willing to play as quiet as Genesis in the 70s.
  • Like 3

Kings X are the most criminally underrated band of all time and are not discussed nearly enough here.....

I'll discuss them anytime! :-)

Same!

• Like 1

I'm amazed by how much I enjoyed the new Tarja single, Innocence.
  • Like 1