Nevermind.... here's Metallica

Take your pick!  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer

• Nirvana - Nevermind
    • Metallica - Metallica (The Black Album)
  2. 2. Which world dominating riff of a song do you prefer?

• Smells Like Teen Spirit
    • Enter Sandman
  3. 3. Which had a bigger impact on the music world?

• Smells Like Teen Spirit / Nevermind
    • Enter Sandman / The Black Album

Are you f***in serious?

Metallica all the way.

WTF???

Are you kidding me???

Once Cliff Biurton passed away METALLICA WAS FUCKKING OVER! JUNK BAND!

I will give "And Justice For All" a thumbs up but really? Jason's bass turned off? What a TURN OFF!

Kill Em All

Ride The Lightning

Master Of Puppets

Groundbreaking masterpieces.

"The Flack Album?" MTV GET OFF THE FUCKKING AIR NOW! DEAD KENNEDYS!

"Nevermind" The Bollocks? Suck My Sex Pistol!

METALLICA IS ONE OF THE MOST OVERRATED BANDS IN THE LAND!

RIP CLIFF BURTON

THE GENIUS OF THE BAND!!

Hell they were born here. About 45 minutes from my house.

Met them all back in the day. Lars is a DOUCHE.

Enjoy your METALLICA WORLD!

I will NEVER pay a dime to see them again.

Hell, I saw NIRVANA with L7 Pearl Jam and The Red Hot Chili Peppers! Cow Palace 1991

I thought Nirvana was great live! Do you know why?

They all smashed their instruments on stage like a real band called THE WHO!

Grohl destroyed his drum set. It was fuckking awesome although not original.

Metallica is doing an S&M Reunion show at the new Chase Center. I wouldn't pay one Red Hot Chili Pepper cent to see that crap!

Great Poll! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK PERP!

Metallica hasn't made a great record since "And Justice For All." DUHHHHHHHHHH

Signed,

KISS MY ST. WHITE ANUS!

LOL!

Oh, shut up with that Metallica was over when Cliff died bullshit. Metallica has always been about the riffs. Nobody listened to them because of the bass. The band has always been about the riffs. They had great riffs with Cliff and plenty of great ones after. Can't hear the bass on Justice? Who cares? Metallica isn't the Chilli Peppers. The bass has never driven their sound.

This x1000000

He slates a band as great as Metallica but will praise shit hair metal that's all cookie cutter and by the numbers.

It makes for great comedy.

• Like 1

Nirvana's influence was the same as The Sex Pistols...right place, right time, but total flash in the pan. They were basically a loud, less talented Pixies clone who got Butch Vig to sanitize their album and make it more commercial sounding.

I don't understand the "right place, right time" argument. What does it mean? Another band would have accomplished the same thing if the cut the line? Isn't the right place and right time defined after the fact? Like after Nirvana accomplished what they did?

• Like 2

Nirvana's influence was the same as The Sex Pistols...right place, right time, but total flash in the pan. They were basically a loud, less talented Pixies clone who got Butch Vig to sanitize their album and make it more commercial sounding.

I don't understand the "right place, right time" argument. What does it mean? Another band would have accomplished the same thing if the cut the line? Isn't the right place and right time defined after the fact? Like after Nirvana accomplished what they did?

This ^. The fact that both of those bands did what they did is the PROOF of their greatness. If any other band was so much better than the Pistols or Nirvana, then why wasn't that band the one in the "right place and right time"?
  • Like 2

I love Nirvana. Nevermind completely dominated rock when it came out. I personally picked the black album and Sandman, but Metallica’s influence is more about their career, not that one moment. I remember vividly hearing Teen Spirit for the first time. It’s not the same with Sandman.
  • Like 1

Agreed. Nevermind changed the musical landscape, so people suggest it was about timing. Same with the Beatles. But the logic of the argument escapes me. Music changed BECAUSE of those events.

• Like 2

Nirvana's influence died with Cobain. Sex Pistols died with Sid Vicious. Metallica's influence soldiered on even after Burton died. There's something to be said about carrying on after you lose band members. By "right place, right time" it means that Nirvana (along with grunge) came along right when hair metal needed to be kicked in the teeth. Grunge was dead by mid 90s.

Nirvana is grossly overrated musically...just noise and Cobain wailing.In Utero would have been their last album regardless of Cobain's death...they were creatively spent at that point.

...and don't even try to say Foo Fighters was Nirvana ver 2.0...Dave took that to a completely different direction to less alt, more hard rock.

Nevermind was a great album. Hey I'll give due credit. But the rest of their 'catalog' of 2 albums was shit.

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 2

Nirvana's influence died with Cobain. Sex Pistols died with Sid Vicious. Metallica's influence soldiered on even after Burton died. There's something to be said about carrying on after you lose band members. By "right place, right time" it means that Nirvana (along with grunge) came along right when hair metal needed to be kicked in the teeth. Grunge was dead by mid 90s.

Nirvana is grossly overrated musically...just noise and Cobain wailing.In Utero would have been their last album regardless of Cobain's death...they were creatively spent at that point.

...and don't even try to say Foo Fighters was Nirvana ver 2.0...Dave took that to a completely different direction to less alt, more hard rock.

Nevermind was a great album. Hey I'll give due credit. But the rest of their 'catalog' of 2 albums was shit.

Cobain was more important to Nirvana than Burton was to Metallica. It would be more like Van Halen continuing without Eddie. I disagree they were “spent.” In Utero was huge too. But Cobain’s drug use got the better of him.

• Like 1

Another comparison would be Wolfmother going on without Stockdale. Or the White Stripes going on without Jack.

Then it would have been The White Stripe...two hours of a really bad drum solo. :P
  • Like 3

Metallica didn’t make the biggest 90s metal impact. That honor goes to Pantera.

Where did you find your metal impact measuring stick?

By listening to metal.

Pantera did have the bigger overall influence on the metal sound than any other metal band in the 90s. Decades later we can still hear Darrell Abbott's influence on the guitar playing all over the genre. Metallica's success with the black album saw a more immediate influence though as bands like Megadeth, Anthrax and Testament all stripped down their sound and went for a more straight metal approach. All three would release their most commercially successful albums because of that. Even unknown bay area thrash band Flostsam and Jetsam did the same thing and found a little commercial success.

No doubt the black album had influence but Pantera's was overall bigger to the sound of the genre.

I think Pantera has a big impact on BAD commercial and fake American metal (Godsmack, Limp Bizkit, Slipknot, Korn, etc).

I find them grossly overrated when it comes to metal music. There are plenty of better metal bands from the 90's, but they didn't hit the mainstream and become as famous as Pantera.

I don't hear much Pantera influence in those bands you mentioned. There is no Pantera in the sound of Godsmack or Limp Bizkit. Korn was obviously influenced by Faith No More. They completely copied their bass sound from them. One of the more obvious rip offs I ever heard in music to be honest. Slipknot was a mix of influences. There might be a little Pantera in there but there is certainly a bigger Faith No More influence (the album Angel Dust was Slipknot before Slipknot started) and there's more thrash and a little bit of punk in Slipknot.

Godsmack was influenced by 90s Metallica. Their riffs are very much in the same vein and Sully is always trying to do his best Hetefield whenever he gets his strong vocal growl going. Limb Bizkit I don't know about. They were such garbage that they probably were inspired by Nirvana.

Pantera's influence on metal goes much deeper than the mainstream metal bands of the early 2000s.

• Like 1

Another comparison would be Wolfmother going on without Stockdale. Or the White Stripes going on without Jack.

Then it would have been The White Stripe...two hours of a really bad drum solo. :P

Talk about someone who got the job by f*cking the boss. :LOL:

• Like 2

Metallica didn’t make the biggest 90s metal impact. That honor goes to Pantera.

Where did you find your metal impact measuring stick?

By listening to metal.

Pantera did have the bigger overall influence on the metal sound than any other metal band in the 90s. Decades later we can still hear Darrell Abbott's influence on the guitar playing all over the genre. Metallica's success with the black album saw a more immediate influence though as bands like Megadeth, Anthrax and Testament all stripped down their sound and went for a more straight metal approach. All three would release their most commercially successful albums because of that. Even unknown bay area thrash band Flostsam and Jetsam did the same thing and found a little commercial success.

No doubt the black album had influence but Pantera's was overall bigger to the sound of the genre.

I think Pantera has a big impact on BAD commercial and fake American metal (Godsmack, Limp Bizkit, Slipknot, Korn, etc).

I find them grossly overrated when it comes to metal music. There are plenty of better metal bands from the 90's, but they didn't hit the mainstream and become as famous as Pantera.

I don't hear much Pantera influence in those bands you mentioned. There is no Pantera in the sound of Godsmack or Limp Bizkit. Korn was obviously influenced by Faith No More. They completely copied their bass sound from them. One of the more obvious rip offs I ever heard in music to be honest. Slipknot was a mix of influences. There might be a little Pantera in there but there is certainly a bigger Faith No More influence (the album Angel Dust was Slipknot before Slipknot started) and there's more thrash and a little bit of punk in Slipknot.

Godsmack was influenced by 90s Metallica. Their riffs are very much in the same vein and Sully is always trying to do his best Hetefield whenever he gets his strong vocal growl going. Limb Bizkit I don't know about. They were such garbage that they probably were inspired by Nirvana.

Pantera's influence on metal goes much deeper than the mainstream metal bands of the early 2000s.

Post of the day

• Like 3

Are you f***in serious?

Metallica all the way.

WTF???

Are you kidding me???

Once Cliff Biurton passed away METALLICA WAS FUCKKING OVER! JUNK BAND!

I will give "And Justice For All" a thumbs up but really? Jason's bass turned off? What a TURN OFF!

Kill Em All

Ride The Lightning

Master Of Puppets

Groundbreaking masterpieces.

"The Flack Album?" MTV GET OFF THE FUCKKING AIR NOW! DEAD KENNEDYS!

"Nevermind" The Bollocks? Suck My Sex Pistol!

METALLICA IS ONE OF THE MOST OVERRATED BANDS IN THE LAND!

RIP CLIFF BURTON

THE GENIUS OF THE BAND!!

Hell they were born here. About 45 minutes from my house.

Met them all back in the day. Lars is a DOUCHE.

Enjoy your METALLICA WORLD!

I will NEVER pay a dime to see them again.

Hell, I saw NIRVANA with L7 Pearl Jam and The Red Hot Chili Peppers! Cow Palace 1991

I thought Nirvana was great live! Do you know why?

They all smashed their instruments on stage like a real band called THE WHO!

Grohl destroyed his drum set. It was fuckking awesome although not original.

Metallica is doing an S&M Reunion show at the new Chase Center. I wouldn't pay one Red Hot Chili Pepper cent to see that crap!

Great Poll! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK PERP!

Metallica hasn't made a great record since "And Justice For All." DUHHHHHHHHHH

Signed,

KISS MY ST. WHITE ANUS!

LOL!

Oh, shut up with that Metallica was over when Cliff died bullshit. Metallica has always been about the riffs. Nobody listened to them because of the bass. The band has always been about the riffs. They had great riffs with Cliff and plenty of great ones after. Can't hear the bass on Justice? Who cares? Metallica isn't the Chilli Peppers. The bass has never driven their sound.

This x1000000

He slates a band as great as Metallica but will praise shit hair metal that's all cookie cutter and by the numbers.

It makes for great comedy.

Hahaha! After all these years you finally figured me out?

This forum for me is purely based on comedy and music!

You mean "Murder By Numbers."

Love,

The Police

The Black Album is where it all started to go Pete Tong for me...just never liked the "arena rock" vibe of it.

remember at the time Nevermind being a far bigger deal then Metallica's offering, plus imo it's a much better album.

Say what you like about Cobain, but few performers had that raw charisma about them, and imo he was the last great rockstar we have produced.

• Like 2

Having lived through this era, heavily involved in the enjoyment and making of music...

Metallica is/was more enjoyable to me overall. I just find their songs more appealing, even from a technical standpoint.

But the impact Nevermind had, and the doors it helped to kick all the way open, cannot be overstated. Sure, things have slid back a bit since sometime late 90s. Until that slide though, making music (often good music) for sake of music was a thing (again?). It was selling records. We can thank Nirvana for any edgier 90s music we still listen to and look back on fondly.

• Like 2

The Black Album is where it all started to go Pete Tong for me...just never liked the "arena rock" vibe of it.

remember at the time Nevermind being a far bigger deal then Metallica's offering, plus imo it's a much better album.

Say what you like about Cobain, but few performers had that raw charisma about them, and imo he was the last great rockstar we have produced.

Post Of The Day

• Like 1

Gonna be honest, not a big fan of the black album at all.

Nevermind all the way

Yet we still agree on a lot about music.

And I don't hate you. Just don't get why you have to be so out of line with me all the time, my reactions are normally a knee jerk reaction, I'd apologise but I don't feel it's my problem.

But yeah, I'm no fan of this album. I prefer Load and Reload.

• Like 1

The band, and group I've liked, and voted is "Metallica". For, and on type of, and overall of music released, I've listened, and preferred "Metallica", and not "Nirvana".

Nevermind all the way

And I don't hate you. Just don't get why you have to be so out of line with me all the time, my reactions are normally a knee jerk reaction, I'd apologise but I don't feel it's my problem.

I have a knee jerk reaction too. It's how we are both wired. You are still my little brother. Sorry if I go too far, I really don't mean it I just joke around too much.

I'll take "Load" over "Reload."

Nevermind all the way

I have a knee jerk reaction too. It's how we are both wired. You are still my little brother. Sorry if I go too far, I really don't mean it I just joke around too much.

:pussy:

:LOL: