Bands You're Obsessing Over Right Now

2 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

well the first i knew from steely dan was peg from the radio and i always hated it soooooooo this doesn't hold water......for me anyway, lol

Mick

I didn't even know all of those hits belonged to Steely Dan until I started listening to them. I just never paid attention to who it was whenever I would hear their stuff.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Not obsessing at all but I thought it worth a mention that Olivia Rodrigo put out a new song today and I like it. Seem to recall a few other fans of her debut on here from a couple years ago, wondering what everyone else thinks.

i cannot wait for the new album. i enjoyed the song.  and hey even she shits the bed.  She did Sour which is ALREADY an all timer for me.  she's in my good graces forever.

Mick

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bluefox4000 said:

i cannot wait for the new album. i enjoyed the song.  and hey even she shits the bed.  She did Sour which is ALREADY an all timer for me.  she's in my good graces forever.

Mick

My guess is this will be a little too much like Sour for critics who are impatient for change and growth, but it will be the fan reaction which will determine whether Olivia continues down the path she’s already going or changes lanes.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

My guess is this will be a little too much like Sour for critics who are impatient for change and growth, but it will be the fan reaction which will determine whether Olivia continues down the path she’s already going or changes lanes.

i honestly do not mind a sour part 2, lol

but it'llk be record 3 i'll be watching honestly.

Mick

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bluefox4000 said:

i honestly do not mind a sour part 2, lol

but it'llk be record 3 i'll be watching honestly.

Mick

Same

I will say, there are some kinda…. musical theater(?) elements to Vampire.  If she’s going to be leaning into her acting background in that way the results could be very divisive…. and I’m betting you and I would love it, lol.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Same

I will say, there are some kinda…. musical theater(?) elements to Vampire.  If she’s going to be leaning into her acting background in that way the results could be very divisive…. and I’m betting you and I would love it, lol.

Vampire was very broadway.  and if she goes like Meat Loaf dramatic.  take ALL my money, lol

Mick

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Vampire was very broadway.  and if she goes like Meat Loaf dramatic.  take ALL my money, lol

Mick

With her gorgeous layered vocals? Mine too, lol.

• Like 2

Cat Stevens.

His 70's Material was awesome.

And yes Treeduck i still think  Ian Anderson was copping him for AT LEAST songs like Rover.  I swear it was Intentional if not downright theft:laugh:

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Haha 1

Haken and Porcupine Tree.

Fauna is Haken's absolute pinnacle release, I wasn't sure if they'd ever top Affinity.

And PT's latest album is also fantastic and it's made me appreciate Barbieri's work more in the back catalog with how front and center his stuff is on the new album. It's like rediscovering all the songs I loved in the past, kinda like how I started paying more attention to Geddy's bass lines over the years

13 hours ago, The Analog Cub said:

Haken and Porcupine Tree.

Fauna is Haken's absolute pinnacle release, I wasn't sure if they'd ever top Affinity.

And PT's latest album is also fantastic and it's made me appreciate Barbieri's work more in the back catalog with how front and center his stuff is on the new album. It's like rediscovering all the songs I loved in the past, kinda like how I started paying more attention to Geddy's bass lines over the years

Fauna doesn't top Affinity for me but it's a GREAT album.

Mick

• Like 1

MASTODON.

Jeez Loiuse, this Hushed and Grim album is kicking my ass in the best kind of way. What an amazing band, like Molly Hatchet blended with Metallica and plenty of proggy goodness. 

Edited by Wandering Hermit
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Wandering Hermit said:

MASTODON.

Jeez Loiuse, this Hushed and Grim album is kicking my ass in the best kind of way. What an amazing band, like Molly Hatchet blended with Metallica and plenty of proggy goodness. 

i never heard molly Hatchet in them but now you mention it.......i hear it.  especially with the southern flavour they've been adding lately.

Mick

Taylor Swift

She just turned Speak Now into a straight up indie rock album. 

Wow.

Just f***ing Wow.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Wandering Hermit said:

MASTODON.

They are much better than Metallica. Their drummer has talent for one.

• Haha 1

Taylor Swift

Listening to the new Speak now i had a weird thing happen.  I miss orifginal country singer/songwriter taylor and (sorry Segue)  it's making midnights slip to where it was.  I just loved her songwriting style in this years.  Pop queen Swift is fun and all but after red she lost SOMETHING in her songwriting.  and as  much as i love Something like Lover.  This first songs through Red just have a sparkle.  Which is why i was so excited about Folklore........SHE WAS GETTING THAT BACK then........it's me......HI!!!!!!!!!!! AND...... ugh.

i hope Segue at least gets some of my point, lol  any i'm beginning to think her best era was Fearless-Red.  yes it's a new revelation but i'm fine with it,.

Mick

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Taylor Swift

Listening to the new Speak now i had a weird thing happen.  I miss orifginal country singer/songwriter taylor and (sorry Segue)  it's making midnights slip to where it was.  I just loved her songwriting style in this years.  Pop queen Swift is fun and all but after red she lost SOMETHING in her songwriting.  and as  much as i love Something like Lover.  This first songs through Red just have a sparkle.  Which is why i was so excited about Folklore........SHE WAS GETTING THAT BACK then........it's me......HI!!!!!!!!!!! AND...... ugh.

i hope Segue at least gets some of my point, lol  any i'm beginning to think her best era was Fearless-Red.  yes it's a new revelation but i'm fine with it,.

Mick

Oh no I get you. I think any singer who tries different styles will have an era that resonates with you.

I've loved Speak Now since it came out, but always felt it had too slick a production and her voice wasn't ready for her songwriting.

I cried listening to this. This is EVERYTHING 

However,  I think Anti-Hero is flawless songwriting and one of her finest moments.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Oh no I get you. I think any singer who tries different styles will have an era that resonates with you.

I've loved Speak Now since it came out, but always felt it had too slick a production and her voice wasn't ready for her songwriting.

this re-works are great because to be honest young swift's voice is not  pleasant to my ears?

i know she was mid-puberty but yea, lol

hopefully Speak now gets it's due with this cause it's kind of the "lost album"  No one REALLY rates it among her best.

Mick

• Like 2

Just now, bluefox4000 said:

this re-works are great because to be honest young swift's voice is not  pleasant to my ears?

i know she was mid-puberty but yea, lol

hopefully Speak now gets it's due with this cause it's kind of the "lost album"  No one REALLY rates it among her best.

Mick

Among her core fanbase Speak Now gets a lot of love. I don't really get why it wasn't bigger in the media. 

Back To December 

Enchanted

Spark's Fly

Mean

Haunted

Mine

The Story Of Us

I see these songs brought up all the time!

Also, the bonus material is killer

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

However,  I think Anti-Hero is flawless songwriting and one of her finest moments.

Agreed. I would also argue that Karma is god-tier.

13 minutes ago, Super25Smasher said:

Agreed. I would also argue that Karma is god-tier.

Not the Ice Spice version, but yeah. I've been up and down on that song but at the moment I love it.

Honestly think every Taylor era has been phenomenal. She tries her hand at many things and I've never been let down.

And the best thing about the new Speak Now is that I feel finally, her vocals match her songwriting. 

However, I don't miss the Speak Now era. Every single album she has released since has seen her talent shine and her skills improve. Not everything won me over immediately, but I have, for example, fallen in love with Lover recently and 1989 is a much better album than I thought it was at the time.

I can't get enough of the new Speak Now.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

They are much better than Metallica. Their drummer has talent for one.

I still have no idea where this massive hate for Lars's playing came from. I don't think a lot of other people know either. They just see all the jokes through the years and roll with it.

10 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

I still have no idea where this massive hate for Lars's playing came from. I don't think a lot of other people know either. They just see all the jokes through the years and roll with it.

I have no idea how you can listen to him play and not hear what I hear.

I hated his drumming before I knew it wasn't a unique perception.

And thats why I never rate them highly when talking thrash metal.

1 hour ago, Segue Myles said:

I have no idea how you can listen to him play and not hear what I hear.

I hated his drumming before I knew it wasn't a unique perception.

And thats why I never rate them highly when talking thrash metal.

What do you hear?

24 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

What do you hear?

Something I don't like.

Simple.