Metallica VS Megadeth

Union 5-3992

Metallica VS Megadeth  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Which band is better?

I like AJFA. My favorite Metallica song is on there...Blackened! I like about half of the black album too. It's not bad, just boring. I couldn't even tell you how Holier Than Thou goes right now and I've heard it a hundred times.

Megadeth tho! Holy Wars! Hangar 18! Tornado of Souls! Come onnnnn.

Dont sleep on Lucretia.

Hey!!!

• Like 1

I love both, personally. I once saw someone describe both bands perfectly a long time ago. They said that Metallica is the thunder of heavy metal, while Megadeth is the lightning of heavy metal. And really, that description always seemed to suit both bands. That's how I feel anyway. I kind of get tired of the whole "selling out" argument. It's so tired and cliché. Especially when you consider how many metal bands followed in Metallica's footsteps after they made a significant impact in the mainstream. Hell, Metallica thought they sold out when they recorded Escape for Ride The Lightning. Music videos aren't really about selling out. They're about putting a visual component to the music. I understand that Load and Reload are considered more "safe" in terms of sound, but at least they tried something different. If anything, it makes their discography a bit more varied than other bands of the 80's metal scene. It helps you to appreciate what they did in the 80's, and if you're a fan, makes you appreciate the risks they took even more.

Well written post.

Megadeath has about 3 songs worth listening to. I'll take any of Metallica's first 5 albums over the entire Megadeath discography.

I normally don't let band personalities influence if I listen/support the band or not, but with Mustaine... I don't listen to them anymore.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w276/custom55/DICK_zpsqfwszcfd.jpg

Edited by custom55
  • Like 2

Whether someone is a dick or not plays no part in me liking a band. As long as the music is good I couldn't give a shit how the person who wrote/performs it is in real life. Odds are pretty good I will never meet them and strike up a friendship, so them being an ass is irrelevant to me.
  • Like 2

Not totally thread related, but curious. What did metallica fans think of death magnetic. I liked it and thought it was there best in ages..
  • Like 1

Not totally thread related, but curious. What did metallica fans think of death magnetic. I liked it and thought it was there best in ages..

Yeah, it was their best since The Black Album but that's not a hard thing to accomplish. Most of it is very good but I haven't heard it in a while so I don't know if time has been good to it or not. I usually don't complain about how an album is produced but this album was completely unacceptable when it came to how it was mixed.

• Like 2

Yeah, it was their best since The Black Album but that's not a hard thing to accomplish. Most of it is very good but I haven't heard it in a while so I don't know if time has been good to it or not. I usually don't complain about how an album is produced but this album was completely unacceptable when it came to how it was mixed.

Well it is a Rick Ruin masterwerk

• Like 1

I thought it was great and truth be told...the production was not perfect but I never realised that was a big deal with thrash...their fifth best album in my opinion.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

My feelings as well. I like the songs but the production is lacking in dynamics, if that is the correct term.

I love both, personally. I once saw someone describe both bands perfectly a long time ago. They said that Metallica is the thunder of heavy metal, while Megadeth is the lightning of heavy metal. And really, that description always seemed to suit both bands. That's how I feel anyway. I kind of get tired of the whole "selling out" argument. It's so tired and cliché. Especially when you consider how many metal bands followed in Metallica's footsteps after they made a significant impact in the mainstream. Hell, Metallica thought they sold out when they recorded Escape for Ride The Lightning. Music videos aren't really about selling out. They're about putting a visual component to the music. I understand that Load and Reload are considered more "safe" in terms of sound, but at least they tried something different. If anything, it makes their discography a bit more varied than other bands of the 80's metal scene. It helps you to appreciate what they did in the 80's, and if you're a fan, makes you appreciate the risks they took even more.

Not only do I like your post I really like your screen name! The greatest album ever made! I found a "Hemispheres" picture disc in amazing condition! 6 bucks! I had to get it despite have 4 of them! LOL!

• Like 1

The first four Metallica albums are untouchable, and their influence in metal is undeniable. Megadeth, on the other hand, have stuck to their roots for longer - in fact, the only slips in their discography for me are Supercollider and Risk, all the rest is quite consistent. I kinda liked Death Magnetic, but Metallica has sounded quite artificial for a long while now. It seems to me that the four guys wanted to be in another band, or doing something else, but have to keep thrashing to make money.
  • Like 1

I'm not the biggest fan of the genre but I enjoy a lot of Metallica songs and a few of their albums. In fact, I like a lot of their songs after they "sold out." They do what they want and a lot of it falls flat and a lot of it is pretty good.

Megadeth never caught my fancy. No hate, just good ol' apathy on my part.

• Like 2

Hasn't this been done before?

How fitting nonetheless.

I HATE Metallica after "Master Of Puppets."

MEGADETH ALL DAY AND NIGHT!

Dave got fukked right in the Pinole asshole.

Revenge can be sweet.

Fukk Metallican't Hold Megadeth's Jock Strap!

I did a search and didn't see any version of this topic

Maybe Earl's thinking of this one?

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/96260-who-is-your-favourite-old-school-thrash-metal-band-thats-your-own-personal-favourite-not-the-biggest-or-the-fastest-or-the-daftest/page__st__20__hl__+metallica%20+megadeth#entry3773109

Metallica by miles. Can't stand Mustaine's whiny vocals and Elementary school lyrics.

What lyrics would those be?

Right on...which lyrics? Mustaine takes on some issues and controversial subjects. I respect that a ton.

• Like 3

I have to say I was one of the biggest Metallica fan there was.....however now I barely ever listen to them. On the other hand Megadeth for whatever reason I find so easy to listen to ANYONE of their albums. I've seen Metallica around 12 times and I've never seen Megadeth live however I'm going to make sure I do see them soon especially since our star musicians are dropping all around us so far this year.

Very nice post, I agree with your accessment of Mettallica selling out....that's a bunch of crap. All bands need to try new things RUSH included and Metallica tried all sort of things. Some fans will like some won't.....nothing ventured nothing gained. I did liked some of their music after AJFA but the music seemed to lose some of its bite and hard crunch. In other words the music seemed to get stale, even though their were gems from several albums. It didn't help that Lars is an obnoxious little dweeb and James at times can't seem to stand himself. Didn't like the treatment of Jason where his bass playing came off as non existent.

I'll take Megadeth now with Daves screechie voice which doesn't bother me a bit but then again some fans complain about Geddys voice as well.

I would rather listen to Katy Perry backwards than METALLICA after "And Justice For All."

I hear ya mate!!!

I had the records for AND JUSTICE FOR ALL and they sounded like crap!!!! (Like they were digitally mixed)

Quite sad..... When Metallica started out THEY WERE K-RAD!!!!!!!!

Metallica by miles. Can't stand Mustaine's whiny vocals and Elementary school lyrics.

Right on...which lyrics? Mustaine takes on some issues and controversial subjects. I respect that a ton.

It's all a matter of taste. No matter how technically good the music is in parts, these always seemed cheesy to me (coupled with the even cheesier vocals):

Just like the Pied Piper

Led rats through the streets

We dance like marionettes

Swaying to the Symphony...

Of Destruction

• Like 2

It's all a matter of taste. No matter how technically good the music is in parts, these always seemed cheesy to me (coupled with the even cheesier vocals):

Just like the Pied Piper

Led rats through the streets

We dance like marionettes

Swaying to the Symphony...

Of Destruction

OR I just remembered this song...

Cool enough music but that voice and lyrics I can do without....the vocals especially DO ruin it all for me...especially the vocals in the first line I'm including here:

Hindsight is always 20-20

But looking back it's still a bit fuzzy

Speak of mutually assured destruction?

Nice story...Tell it to Reader's Digest?

So yeah, I totally understand toscanobarga's opinion.

• Like 1