Eel Yddeg

So?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Is Rush Metal?

• Yes
    • Some Songs, but not as a whole
    • No

Since this has been discussed in the "Top 100 Metal Albums"

Would you say Rush is a metal band, or not?

Personally, I wouldn't. Their sound is more hard rock with prog elements to me. They lost all heaviness once Signals rolled around.

However, some songs, IMO, are metal.

The following are songs I would consider to be metal.

Working Man

By-Tor and the Snow Dog (7/4 War Furor)

2112 Grand Finale

Cygnus X-1 (Part III)

Natural Science (Part II, Different Stages version)

BU2B

One Little Victory (Particularly the intro)

Post thoughts below. If they're not metal, feel free to post songs you'd say are.

Geez.

Not even one of Rush's songs are metal.

For f**k's sake.

ALL of them are METAL!! You fool! :blaze:

• Like 3

Personally, I wouldn't. Their sound is more hard rock with prog elements to me. They lost all heaviness once Signals rolled around.

Working Man

2112 Grand Finale

Cygnus X-1 (Part III)

BU2B

Post thoughts below. If they're not metal, feel free to post songs you'd say are.

Geez.

Not even one of Rush's songs are not metal.

For f**k's sake.

Fixed :-)

• Like 1

Not metal!

Even if a few of the early songs sort of leaned that direction...that was not really a direction that I think any of them wanted to go. The interplay among the three of them was always...well, something other than metal.

• Like 1

I would consider Hemispheres, Bastille Day, most of Counterparts, almost all of Vapor Trails, Bits of S&A and Clockwork Angels to be metal.

My first impression of Vapor Trails was "oh going back to their metal roots". RUSH had metal moments. You could imagine early RUSH sharing the same genre as classic Maiden and Priest, not Crötley Mu or Poison. Like many great bands of the late 60's RUSH evolved away from metal. Over all body of work no not metal.

I love Rush because of the variation in their music but still keeping their identity.Yes Rush have their metal moments particularly in the 70s.Anthem metal?Yes.Rivendell?No.Immigrant Song metal?Yes.That's the Way? No.I remember that Rush were getting disowned by the metal crowd in the eighties.I have a copy of a Metal Hammer magazine with a feature on Rush and the release of Hold Your Fire.With their 'fashionable' haircuts,suits and an unmetal album they look out of place next to Metallica,Candlemass,Slayer, etc.I think metal and hard rock has the broadest spectrum of music and although Rush have their heavy moments I wouln't call them metal.Heavy,hard,progressive with reggae,new wave,conceptual,space rock,medieval,pop,AOR elements.Something like that.

I love Rush because of the variation in their music but still keeping their identity.Yes Rush have their metal moments particularly in the 70s.Anthem metal?Yes.Rivendell?No.Immigrant Song metal?Yes.That's the Way? No.I remember that Rush were getting disowned by the metal crowd in the eighties.I have a copy of a Metal Hammer magazine with a feature on Rush and the release of Hold Your Fire.With their 'fashionable' haircuts,suits and an unmetal album they look out of place next to Metallica,Candlemass,Slayer, etc.I think metal and hard rock has the broadest spectrum of music and although Rush have their heavy moments I wouln't call them metal.Heavy,hard,progressive with reggae,new wave,conceptual,space rock,medieval,pop,AOR elements.Something like that.

Growing up reading metal magazines, Metal Hammer covered them frequently, as does various metal websites, including the Encyclopaedia Metallum. They have impacted hugely on the world of metal, and my coming to know of them is a result of their influence on many of my favourite metal bands and the magazines I read. Mastodon, for example, have a lot of the spirit of Rush in their music, and I tried Rush based on a glowing endorsement from the band for Moving Pictures, and I felt the connection to the prog and heavier metal of my youth immediately. I didn't actually question their status as a metal band until after I had completed my collection of their seventies work, and tried Signals.

And like Led Zeppelin and Van Halen, I don't think every single moment screams "METAL", but the journey that led me to Rush was via metal and to separate it from the world of the metal I love is mostly due to small minded fans who have only an ear for modern music.

When I come across vintage articles online or old Kerrang! magazine articles, Rush as a metal band never seems to have been doubted in the eighties and prior to that.

True Segue but The Synth Era was not metal. The music, the clothes, the hair, the attitude was no longer metal. Then with Modern Era RUSH some metal music returned.

True Segue but The Synth Era was not metal. The music, the clothes, the hair, the attitude was no longer metal. Then with Modern Era RUSH some metal music returned.

I did say I questioned it from the time I started the post MP work with Signals...

Working Man

2112 Grand Finale

Cygnus X-1 (Part III)

BU2B

Geez.

For f**k's sake.

Yes. I already raised the question what is metal? Its analogus to he question "what is jazz"? There are multiple ways to define it. Each Person has their own definition. No, Rush is by no means a Metal band but they do have songs that are very metallic and heavy in their construct. Heavy riffs, dark lyrical concepts, challenging musical constructs. Pretty metal if hou ask me.

LOL. Not even remotely close to metal.

Prog rock, dude.

Somebody take this guy's Rush card away, please.

Working Man

2112 Grand Finale

Cygnus X-1 (Part III)

BU2B

Geez.

For f**k's sake.

Yes. I already raised the question what is metal? Its analogus to he question "what is jazz"? There are multiple ways to define it. Each Person has their own definition. No, Rush is by no means a Metal band but they do have songs that are very metallic and heavy in their construct. Heavy riffs, dark lyrical concepts, challenging musical constructs. Pretty metal if hou ask me.

Don't even try arguing with Bard. He's right as he always is.

On the 3rd day, Bard created Rush. On the 4th, Bard created metal. Given that, Rush couldn't possibly be metal.

Besides, Bard already said "geez" and "for f**k's sake" which trump any argument made.

Geez. For f**k's sake.

Oh hey. BTW. Know what else I was right about?

That Neil was retiring. :)

I see tons of metal heads moshing at Rush shows. Leather studs, headbangin', the whole nine yards.

Oh wait...I don't at all. :)

Edited by Bard

Anyone who doesn't think that Rush are heavy metal (with a touch of Heavy Prog) is a revisionist douchebag.

You cannot rewrite history. Heavy Metal as a term dates back to the early 70s, whether metal is something different now is irrelevant. Why do you think Iron Maiden were termed "new wave of British Heavy Metal"? They could only be a "new wave" if something had gone before.

Jeez.

• Like 4

Working Man

2112 Grand Finale

Cygnus X-1 (Part III)

BU2B

Geez.

For f**k's sake.

On the 3rd day, Bard created Rush. On the 4th, Bard created metal. Given that, Rush couldn't possibly be metal.

Besides, Bard already said "geez" and "for f**k's sake" which trump any argument made.

Geez. For f**k's sake.

I see tons of metal heads moshing at Rush shows. Leather studs, headbangin', the whole nine yards.

Empty vessels make most noise. How about you turn it down to somewhere between 0 & 1?

Anyone who doesn't think that Rush are heavy metal (with a touch of Heavy Prog) is a revisionist douchebag.

You cannot rewrite history. Heavy Metal as a term dates back to the early 70s, whether metal is something different now is irrelevant. Why do you think Iron Maiden were termed "new wave of British Heavy Metal"? They could only be a "new wave" if something had gone before.

Jeez.

You always were a bright bulb, tony. :)

Working Man

2112 Grand Finale

Cygnus X-1 (Part III)

BU2B

Geez.

For f**k's sake.

Geez. For f**k's sake.

Empty vessels make most noise. How about you turn it down to somewhere between 0 & 1?

BTW,...you were wrong about Neil.

Surprise. :)

Working Man

2112 Grand Finale

Cygnus X-1 (Part III)

BU2B

Geez.

For f**k's sake.

Geez. For f**k's sake.

I was wrong about Neil?

Care to elaborate?

Working Man

2112 Grand Finale

Cygnus X-1 (Part III)

BU2B

Geez.

For f**k's sake.

Geez. For f**k's sake.

I was wrong about Neil?

Care to elaborate?

Shh. Dial it down a notch. Between 0-1.

Jeez.

You always were a bright bulb, tony. :)

Oh, so you are just trolling?

Tool.

Working Man

2112 Grand Finale

Cygnus X-1 (Part III)

BU2B

Geez.

For f**k's sake.

Geez. For f**k's sake.

I was wrong about Neil?

Care to elaborate?

Shh. Dial it down a notch. Between 0-1.

When was I wrong about Neil? Answer the question of get the f**k out of my space.

Working Man

2112 Grand Finale

Cygnus X-1 (Part III)

BU2B

Geez.

For f**k's sake.

Geez. For f**k's sake.

I consider myself a metalhead and I've never worn leather studs in my life. So there goes your argument.

I consider myself a metalhead and I've never worn leather studs in my life. So there goes your argument.

Aw, you're a lightweight then.

Pantera crowds would eat you for breakfast.

BTW, equating Rush to the genre where Metallica, Sabbath, and Anthraxx reign is kinda like masturbating with a cheese grater.

It can be done.

But why.

Edited by Bard

Aw, you're a lightweight then.

Pantera crowds would eat you for breakfast.

BTW, equating Rush to the genre where Metallica, Sabbath, and Anthraxx reign is kinda like masturbating with a cheese grater.

It can be done.

But why.

Or the Scorpions or UFO, or AC/DC or Uriah Heap. Slaughter or Cinderella. Purp or the Zep.

Hmmmmmm.