NEW ORIGINAL TOPIC, never been discussed, what would RUSH have become if JOHN RUTSEY never left the BAND???

JohnRogers

Forum wouldn't exist, they'd be totally gone after maybe 3 or 4 albums before they get lumped in with the rest of the old 70's has beens that nobody really listens to unless they're on classic rock radio.
  • Like 1

They would have kept their hard rocking sound from the first album, and would've faded away with the rest of the bands of that time.
  • Like 1

I've often wondered that myself - what would they have been like if he'd stayed, and I honestly didn't know at the time. But for what it's worth, here's my thought: I don't think the songs since then would've been written, or even if they had, they might have come much later, and even then they wouldn't even sound the same.

This is my honest thought.

I tend to agree with everyone thus far. They would have faded away. Their music would be in the bargain CD bin at large truck stops. I'm surprised no one has speculated that the genius of Lee and Lifeson would have them relevant 30 years later.

Rush ceases to exist after a couple of albums. Geddy Lee becomes the lead singer and bassist for Genesis following Peter Gabriel's departure. Alex Lifeson takes over as lead guitarist for Genesis following Steve Hackett's departure. Neil Peart takes over for Phil Collins as drummer for Genesis after Phil would rather put all his efforts into keeping Brand X around. Edited by bordercollie

I've often wondered that myself - what would they have been like if he'd stayed, and I honestly didn't know at the time. But for what it's worth, here's my thought: I don't think the songs since then would've been written, or even if they had, they might have come much later, and even then they wouldn't even sound the same.

This is my honest thought.

Since Peart is the lyricist, the songs since then definitely would not have been written.

Unless, of course, they brought Peart in only as lyricist who then did not have to go out on the road......

But his drumming is obviously a major part of their sound, and has affected the way the other two play.

I really like the first album, but most Canadian rock bands of the era didn't make it past a few records. Chances are they would have joined other Canadian rock greats like Moxy, Goddo, BTO, Max Webster , Klaatu, Zon, Fludd,

I think Alex and Geddy would have done something of some significance if Rush folded after a 2 or 3 albums.Remember they bounced back after COS.They are too good of musicians to go away quietly.
  • Like 1

I think Alex and Geddy would have done something of some significance if Rush folded after a 2 or 3 albums.Remember they bounced back after COS.They are too good of musicians to go away quietly.

I like the cut of this man's jib. Let's hear more positive theories.

I think they would have still had a successful career, but who knows how succesful?

Remember there were musical differences and I believe Rutsey would have quit after a couple of albums as he was a more straight up rock guy.

The main musical engine has always been Geddy and Alex, so i still think they would have gone down the line of producing more ambitious muic and would have recruited a drummer who was compatible.

How much success they would have had is anyones guess really.

Edited by Fridge
  • Like 1

This topic's been discussed. And all of the replies so far have been virtually identical to the ones in the original thread.

Even without the health issues, Rutsey would've left due to musical/artistic differences. Then what? Don't know but I don't imagine Lee & Lifeson would've quit music (or each other) in the mid-late 70s.

• Like 2

This topic's been discussed. And all of the replies so far have been virtually identical to the ones in the original thread.

Even without the health issues, Rutsey would've left due to musical/artistic differences. Then what? Don't know but I don't imagine Lee & Lifeson would've quit music (or each other) in the mid-late 70s.

Let's just face it. Rush was almost shitcanned after "Caress Of Steel" with Neil. So yes, I think Rush with Rutsey would have lasted three records.

On the other hand:

What would have happened to Neil Peart if he had never joined Rush ?

He would be teaching English in some Canadian College. Perhaps in some "caved in cop car." My point is I was able to get through college with an English degree thankfully because of my writing. Professors love the alteration. So does Neil.

I certainly hope some of you don't think that all of my rants and long winded offensive, insane and bizarre posts and threads are because I'm on drugs!

It's actually quite simple.

Creative Writing 101.

I mean 666

You must be thinking the What Decade Does Permanent Waves Belong In thread. This topic is fresh and new. Dare I say moist.

Edited by JohnRogers
  • Like 2

You must be thinking the What Decade Does Permanent Waves Belong In thread. This topic is fresh and new. Dare I say moist.

Just like a "Moist Vagina."

Signed,

Nirvana

No. This topic was discussed years ago. And I'd like to say it was about 5-6 years ago.

The PeW decade crap debate is a different mutant...it DID touch on the subject though so I can see how you would think I was mistaken.