Lost In Xanadu

That was a win for the ages.

"A win for the aged"! :codger:

50 is the new 40. Unfortunately, I’m turning 60 this year. :doh:

• Like 1

That was a win for the ages.

"A win for the aged"! :codger:

50 is the new 40. Unfortunately, I’m turning 60 this year. :doh:

Mickelson is three days older than me, so his win is a great affirmation! Unfortunately, the only other thing we have in common is not being Tiger Woods . . .

LOL, well I'd love to be 50 again, I'm 56!

Tiger who?? LOL. For once I felt like the announcers barely mentioned him yesterday, which was a nice change.

• Like 2

LOL, well I'd love to be 50 again, I'm 56!

Tiger who?? LOL. For once I felt like the announcers barely mentioned him yesterday, which was a nice change.

It was the best major without Tiger I`ve seen. I`ve lost interest in a few over recent years, especially when it means staying up past midnight to watch a procession. As long as a golfer that I can remember from the 90s is in charge, I`m happy :sundog:
  • Like 1

Jon Rahm takes a 6 stroke lead into the final round of the Memorial.

Or I should I say "took". He tested positive for COVID and will be forced to withdraw.

:facepalm:

Or I should I say "took". He tested positive for COVID and will be forced to withdraw.

There is no possible way he could safely play a 4th round.

:eyeroll:

Half of Ohio would be dead within a week.

Better now than in a major. Or Ryder Cup - I hope the authorities opt for something like a biosecure bubble for the players in September, as a repeat of this would really suck. Feels like "don`t ask, don`t tell" would be appropriate - testing for Covid during the tournament is asking for trouble. Tests for all beforehand, keep with your people, and off you go... would that really risk mass casualties?
  • Like 1

Better now than in a major. Or Ryder Cup - I hope the authorities opt for something like a biosecure bubble for the players in September, as a repeat of this would really suck. Feels like "don`t ask, don`t tell" would be appropriate - testing for Covid during the tournament is asking for trouble. Tests for all beforehand, keep with your people, and off you go... would that really risk mass casualties?

No, it would not. Distancing in golf is not an issue, and being outdoors in sunshine drops risk of airborne transmission to close to nil. Rahm's disqualification is absurd.
  • Like 1

No, it would not. Distancing in golf is not an issue, and being outdoors in sunshine drops risk of airborne transmission to close to nil. Rahm's disqualification is absurd.

In addition, why can`t he - if the PGA want to look like they`re taking some action - request that Rahm keeps to his own company, carries his own bag etc. If he`s asymptomatic - hell, even if he`s on a ventilator - it`s his job! And he would be back to No.1 with a win. Nah, I`m not getting it.

In addition, why can`t he - if the PGA want to look like they`re taking some action - request that Rahm keeps to his own company, carries his own bag etc. If he`s asymptomatic - hell, even if he`s on a ventilator - it`s his job! And he would be back to No.1 with a win. Nah, I`m not getting it.

:goodone:

There's rules and policy, and then there's common sense in the face of extraordinary circumstances.

Edited by goose

:goodone:

There's rules and policy, and then there's common sense in the face of extraordinary circumstances.

They probably don't want to take the risk of being posted about in the What made you do a facepalm today? thread in Random Samples...

I just turned on the Memorial Tournament, which is being played in Ohio.

Immediately, I heard the buzz of those damned cicadas. My childhood memories of those hideous pests are not good! :rage:

I just turned on the Memorial Tournament, which is being played in Ohio.

Immediately, I heard the buzz of those damned cicadas. My childhood memories of those hideous pests are not good! :rage:

Morikawa loses in a playoff. Hit a perfect drive but got mud on the ball which killed his approach shot. Then missed a par putt to stay alive. He also had a complete whiff on a shot from the greenside rough earlier.

On the ladies side, today Lexi Thompson entered the final round of the US Open with a five stroke lead. She lost control of her driver and spent the last several holes working out of the rough. Her putting, which had been solid, started to suffer from misreads. The, on the final two holes, with the title on the line, she flat choked and missed out on the playoff.

:(

Just for the fun of it, though, given the last year of rules, was this really that extraordinary of a circumstance? The policy about positive tests was clear, he was tagged in contact tracing, he (apparently?) hasn't had his jab, so down he goes. Golf, of all sports, knows about following the letter of the law down to the last jot or tittle ("Did that ball change position, or merely oscillate?").

Would it be that newsworthy if he weren't Jon Rahm or if he were in 37th place? I dunno. Should those things matter?

Having said that, I'm a fan of Rahm, and agree with all that's been said about the risks in an open air sport like golf. They should make those adaptations, but maybe not in the middle of a tournament?

Just for the fun of it, though, given the last year of rules, was this really that extraordinary of a circumstance? The policy about positive tests was clear, he was tagged in contact tracing, he (apparently?) hasn't had his jab, so down he goes. Golf, of all sports, knows about following the letter of the law down to the last jot or tittle ("Did that ball change position, or merely oscillate?").

Would it be that newsworthy if he weren't Jon Rahm or if he were in 37th place? I dunno. Should those things matter?

The fact that he had already played three rounds, been allowed to finish his third when the info was known, and was in the lead by six strokes with millions on the line seems enough to make an exception.

On the flip side, politically/PR-wise, it was an extraordinary opportunity to make a statement around the importance of getting vaccinated and the social consequences of not doing so.

• Like 1

The fact that he had already played three rounds, been allowed to finish his third when the info was known, and was in the lead by six strokes with millions on the line seems enough to make an exception.

On the flip side, politically/PR-wise, it was an extraordinary opportunity to make a statement around the importance of getting vaccinated and the social consequences of not doing so.

More on the story...

https://www.news.com.au/sport/golf/heart-sinks-for-golf-star-after-disqualified-for-covid19-test-on-live-tv/news-story/86a8e7a262d7a5fb85430a53c499b186

Bland's round is anything but* as he gets to -5 for the early round two lead!

*ten bucks says that will be in every golf article today

Bland's round is anything but* as he gets to -5 for the early round two lead!

*ten bucks says that will be in every golf article today

I think you`d have got a decent price on him leading anything a few months back. Amazing what that first win has done for him, and the best thing of all is that he`s older than me :notworthy:
  • Like 1

The toughest three-hole stretch on the course is 10, 11, 12. McKenzie Hughes started his round on the back this PM and has gone birdie-birdie-birdie. :notworthy:

Koepka back to -4, but on hole 5 he has short-sided himself deep in the green side rough with a bunker between his ball and the hole. And he runs it well past the hole, but at least gives himself a long par putt. Edited by goose