Official PGA Tour Thread

Lost In Xanadu

Mickelson starts round one of the US Open birdie-birdie!!! :dweez:

Plays the remaining 16 holes at eleven over to finish at +9, one stroke ahead of dead last. :LOL:

Phil deserves the Grand Slam, and it doesn't look like he'll get it.

No, his chances are fading fast. Maybe he can win the US Senior Open.

Will Tigger get any more, though? He's increasingly looking like s spent force.

The US Open is so punitive on errant shots that I think it is the toughest major for Tiger to win at this point. Next year IS at Torrey Pines, though, which gives him a good shot. I think he can still get another Masters or a British Open at this point.

The US Open goes Tarantino and calls in the Wolff to take care of business! 21yo Matthew Wolff goes low on day three, getting to -5 and securing a two-stroke lead going into the final round. Amazingly, Wolff only hitting two fairways in the process.

I hope Bryson can close it out, as he`s different enough to be interesting among a pretty homogenous group (which for me is basically any field sans-Tiger). Two-shot lead, eight to play... will his slightly dodgy temperament get in the way, or will he power the head off his driver? :rage: Edited by IbanezJem

DeChambeau just eagled the 9th, then Wolff followed with his own. Wow.

That was impressive. Wolff struggling to keep pace with DeChambeau so far on the back nine. He's down three after he bogies the par 3 and DeCh gets another eagle on the par 5. Wolf just not sharp enough with his irons right now.

DeChambeau just eagled the 9th, then Wolff followed with his own. Wow.

That was impressive. Wolff struggling to keep pace with DeChambeau so far on the back nine. He's down three after he bogies the par 3 and DeCh gets another eagle on the par 5. Wolf just not sharp enough with his irons right now.

21-years-old and in your first major will do that. He's impressive nonetheless, especially under the circumstances.

On 14 both Wolff just got majorly screwed by that false front. :LOL:

Ends up making bogey, while DeChambeau sinks a longish par putt to go up 4.

Edited by goose

You can tell the announcers can't stand the way DeChambeau plays. Some of the players as well. I keep hearing the phrase "I don't know if this is good for golf".

I'm guessing they're mad that the high school jocks that used to be the crap out of them in high school are now taking over their game.

• Like 1

You can tell the announcers can't stand the way DeChambeau plays. Some of the players as well. I keep hearing the phrase "I don't know if this is good for golf".

I'm guessing they're mad that the high school jocks that used to be the crap out of them in high school are now taking over their game.

Athleticism is ruining the game, lol.
  • Like 1

I`d rather watch DeChambeau than the horror of Wolff`s swing - that`s the Furyk, octopus-in-phone-box thing all over again. Being fitter and stronger is now a reason to criticise?

To a certain kind of "purist," anything is a reason to criticize. This isn't really new, though; golfers have had permission to hit the gym since Tiger's advent, and athletes like DJ or Rory have taken advantage. There will surely be some copycatting, but not every player can transform the physique the way BdC did, and for some, the additional bulk would actually be a detriment to their game. I cannot foresee every player going hulk mode.

• Like 1

I`d rather watch DeChambeau than the horror of Wolff`s swing - that`s the Furyk, octopus-in-phone-box thing all over again. Being fitter and stronger is now a reason to criticise?

To a certain kind of "purist," anything is a reason to criticize. This isn't really new, though; golfers have had permission to hit the gym since Tiger's advent, and athletes like DJ or Rory have taken advantage. There will surely be some copycatting, but not every player can transform the physique the way BdC did, and for some, the additional bulk would actually be a detriment to their game. I cannot foresee every player going hulk mode.

Pretty simple though, the solution if your planning the set up for a tournament if you are anti-power. Graduate the rough so anyone who is offline and long gets the heaviest penalty. 300-325 yds could be playable, but 350 yds + and you`ll need a scythe.
  • Like 3

He's not just fitter and stronger, it's his stiff looking swing that is also hard to digest. But, swing speed is swing speed, and distance is a huge advantage.

Pretty simple though, the solution if your planning the set up for a tournament if you are anti-power. Graduate the rough so anyone who is offline and long gets the heaviest penalty. 300-325 yds could be playable, but 350 yds + and you`ll need a scythe.

In too many tournaments, there isn't enough of a penalty for being off target. Often it becomes an advantage. I'd like to see not only more rugh, but more designated OB territory. The latter would really put a premium on being straight.
  • Like 1

I think most will continue to get bigger and stronger, just like basketball, football, baseball...

I remember in basketball weight lifting was said to ruin your shot, when in reality it has expanded both range and accuracy.

In too many tournaments, there isn't enough of a penalty for being off target. Often it becomes an advantage. I'd like to see not only more rugh, but more designated OB territory. The latter would really put a premium on being straight.

The current courses aren`t dead yet - I`m pretty sure Bryson would find it hard at Carnoustie in wind/rain, for example, even if he`d drive the Par 5s if the ground was firm. If you have a ten-yard wide fairway then that`d be an equaliser!
  • Like 2

The current courses aren`t dead yet - I`m pretty sure Bryson would find it hard at Carnoustie in wind/rain, for example, even if he`d drive the Par 5s if the ground was firm. If you have a ten-yard wide fairway then that`d be an equaliser!

Yeah, this latest US Open is just one tournament, too. Let's see him string four or five together ala Vijay or Tiger, then we can start worrying about the game.
  • Like 3

As for needed corrections, how about making bunkers a penalty area again, instead of the bailout targets they've become.

How to do that? Make them deeper? Fill them with something other than sand? Knee high grass maybe?

A few links-style traps where your options are sideways, or backwards :rage:
  • Like 2

As for needed corrections, how about making bunkers a penalty area again, instead of the bailout targets they've become.

How to do that? Make them deeper? Fill them with something other than sand? Knee high grass maybe?

A few links-style traps where your options are sideways, or backwards :rage:

And heavier sand that's not perfectly dried and raked.
  • Like 2

Maybe make the bunkers similar to what we hackers have to play!!