Why we don't love synth era Rush

laughedatbytime

Presto is an amazing album!

Indeed! I'm highly fond of it. (I can't rate it higher than Hemispheres, though).

I decided to give it a spin on my way home today, just because it came up in the conversation here. It had been a little while.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 1

they cut off Xanadu on several tours.

Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. :tsk: :tsk: :tsk: Sacrilege.

Agreed.

They redeemed themselves on that front this past year, though.

Yeah, they played . . . most of it.

I'll never understand that one but, at this point in time, I am just grateful that they did the entire (almost) song.

They didn't play all of Cygnus X-1 either, which seemed odd. The sad and lonely guitar at the end really captures the mood.

• Like 2

"I decided to give it a spin on my way home today, just because it came up in the conversation here. It had been a little while."

Was someone offering a prize, like at the fair? Are you ok? No resulting cognitive problems, seizures, or other medical issues?

I'm listening to Exit Stage Left right now (my four year old boy likes to listen to Red Barchetta, Closer to the Heart, and "The Strange Village" as he calls it). With ESL material, no explanations are needed :).

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

Was someone offering a prize, like at the fair?

No.

Are you ok?

That depends upon whom you ask.

No resulting cognitive problems, seizures, or other medical issues?

No.

• Like 1

"I decided to give it a spin on my way home today, just because it came up in the conversation here. It had been a little while."

Was someone offering a prize, like at the fair? Are you ok? No resulting cognitive problems, seizures, or other medical issues?

I'm listening to Exit Stage Left right now (my four year old boy likes to listen to Red Barchetta, Closer to the Heart, and "The Strange Village" as he calls it). With ESL material, no explanations are needed :).

Now that is adorable. It sounds like something my 5 year old would say too. :laughing guy:

I think they definitely played more than enough of Cygnus and Xanadu for a more than satisfactory experience. My dad and I sure didn't care about any missing minute here or there.
  • Like 1

I thought Power Windows was an amazing album when it came out and still do.It was miles away from the heaviness of MP (change of music gear,producer,writing style,etc)but still Rush!But what got me was how are these guys going to reproduce this onstage unaware of changes in technology.I mean Yes were treading the same glossy sheen at the time but there were five of them.I can understand people not liking this era because it did become a bit poppy.Counterparts I feel was a return to that heavy MP sound(Alex rediscovered his Gibson Les Paul and Marshall stack)

I'm have no problem with what can be called their synth era. I think many of he arrangements during this time stand up with their most powerful in their catalog. I don't consider myself a fan or non-fan of any era, as I don't really view any part of their discography as an era. I either like the album or I don't. I like Power Windows just as much as I like A Farewell to Kings. To my ears GUP though HYF rocks just as much as anything from 2112 through MP. With that said, it was cool to see them return to a more organic, 3 piece sound with Counterparts. When they returned to it, they were different writers and arrangers than they were 15 years earlier so it was great seeing how they had changed. The "synth era" should be respected as much as any other album from the 70's IMO...
  • Like 4

Agreed.

I'll never understand that one but, at this point in time, I am just grateful that they did the entire (almost) song.

To me, it was close enough for rock and roll!

:guitar:

I was just disappointed that they played my favourite part of the song wrong. At the beginning of the song, after the intro, there is the descending chord pattern that Alex plays unaccompanied. This tour he chose to do that bit on the 6 string. Not exactly sure why he chose to do that because he's always played it on the twelve.

• Like 1

Agreed.

To me, it was close enough for rock and roll!

:guitar:

I was just disappointed that they played my favourite part of the song wrong. At the beginning of the song, after the intro, there is the descending chord pattern that Alex plays unaccompanied. This tour he chose to do that bit on the 6 string. Not exactly sure why he chose to do that because he's always played it on the twelve.

The only one I have handy at the moment to listen to is Tulsa. i don't hear any difference.

What's the difference you hear?

A truncated Xanadu morphing into Superconductor?!? That's so wrong on so many levels. Thank you Lord that you saved me from '90s Rush. (I know Presto was released in 1989, but we all know it was the first '90s Rush album.)

I guess I don't know why people hate Superconductor so much? Honestly it's my favorite off of Presto. I like it.

• Like 1

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81HW9oFpudL._SL1500_.jpg

Oh, was this picture taken before or after the R40 tour? ;)

Worst poster ever. Yet i have one on my basement wall. Really unflattering up close.

They brought some famous dude for that shot. Yousef k???

• Like 1

Geddy has definitely found a better look.

Looks like he cut his hair himself.

I gave myself a bi-level (before it was called a mullet) back in the early 80's. :D
  • Like 1

I gave myself a bi-level (before it was called a mullet) back in the early 80's. :D

It must have looked better than that, right? :)

• Like 1

The ladies seemed to think so... :P

Back when men and women had the same hairstyles.

Back when men and women had the same hairstyles.

Man bun is next for me. Edited by goose
  • Like 2