Why we don't love synth era Rush

laughedatbytime

Geddy said it best...sometimes people like crap.

hence CA'S large fanbase, lol

Mick

Bigger than f***ing HYF or Presto, for sure.

The Masses are often wrong.

Mick

Mick is wrong about CA. its not the masterpiece some people make it out to be but it is very good. Very very good.

It is a MASTERPIECE, dont ever lose sight of that :rush:

CA is a PIECE alright...I'll give u that

Never got the CA love.....the albums been out eight years now, lol.

Even Average spits on it.

Mick

Has it really been eight years? Wow...

It's been three...

Eight since S&A

Well...that makes more sense. :LOL: I was feeling like Rip Van Winkle.

Even 8 years since Snakes and Arrows seems like forever ago.

I like most of what synth era has to offer. It churned out of their greatest albums ever in Grace Under Pressure. Signals is also great. Hold Your Fire has like 4 good songs and Power Windows is mostly good.

Then you have that shitcake Presto.

• Like 1

Then you have that Tai Shancake Presto.

Uh-oh

:ph34r:

LET THEM COME

I expect an all-out assault on Counterparts. Listening to Nobody's Hero right now, actually.

One of the three good songs on Counterparts.

Edited by JohnRogers

I like most of what synth era has to offer. It churned out of their greatest albums ever in Grace Under Pressure. Signals is also great. Hold Your Fire has like 4 good songs and Power Windows is mostly good.

Presto is the Gaines Burgers of Rush music.

• Like 5

Why do you hate shit?

Presto is better soaked in water...

• Like 1

I remember them! Do they still make them?

I don't know. I hope not. :LOL:

• Like 1

Sometimes people like dog food...

Sometimes people like dog food...

If they'd rather eat dog food than steak then more power to them. ;)

We love the synth era....of course we do, what else can we do....!!!???

Too bad Santa didn't bring Synth Era Love to the haters. Presto is leaps above Counterparts!

• Like 2

I love the synth era... great bass lines, great vocal melodies, some really memorable guitar parts. Oh yeah, and the synths. They add a texture and expand the Rush vocabulary to where we can really see the abundant talent and musicality of this legendary trio.

I agree with this...and I'll say it was most successfully and singularly achieved on Hold Your Fire.

The production values on that album are firmly rooted in the time during which it was made- really still the mid '80s, leaning toward the late '80s...but Alex has plenty of moments to shine, in conjunction with the synths...the separation of all the instruments is very clear, and balanced, so that none really dominates over another.

And the drumming on HYF is also stupendous. It's not often recognized as a high point for Professor Peart, but I really think it is. (I know that our friend Earl agrees with me, anyway).

Hold Your Fire is, for me, the pinnacle of Rush's achievements. It is easy to miss out in the nuances and emotional depths on display, but a really close listen reveals the best drumming I have yet to hear from Peart, the lyrics are truly beautiful, and Geddy is just on top form vocally, and stayed that way on Presto.

HYF is the one album of Rush that I find most easy to give a perfect rating. I love each and every song, I couldn't even pick out a highlight amongst all them highlights!

• Like 1

Considering I find Permanent Waves the band's ultimate work followed by MP and my love for the Golden 70's I play HYF more often than most might think.
  • Like 2

I love the synth era... great bass lines, great vocal melodies, some really memorable guitar parts. Oh yeah, and the synths. They add a texture and expand the Rush vocabulary to where we can really see the abundant talent and musicality of this legendary trio.

I agree with this...and I'll say it was most successfully and singularly achieved on Hold Your Fire.

The production values on that album are firmly rooted in the time during which it was made- really still the mid '80s, leaning toward the late '80s...but Alex has plenty of moments to shine, in conjunction with the synths...the separation of all the instruments is very clear, and balanced, so that none really dominates over another.

And the drumming on HYF is also stupendous. It's not often recognized as a high point for Professor Peart, but I really think it is. (I know that our friend Earl agrees with me, anyway).

Hold Your Fire is, for me, the pinnacle of Rush's achievements.

HYF is the one album of Rush that I find most easy to give a perfect rating. I love each and every song, I couldn't even pick out a highlight amongst all them highlights!

ummm OK bud.

This is my favorite song from the album.

Some great live tracks from this era... Subdivisions, Analog Kid, Distant Early Warning, Between the Wheels, Marathon, Manhattan Project, Force 10, Mission... I've always thought that these came across fantastic in a live setting.
  • Like 1

Hold Your Fire is, for me, the pinnacle of Rush's achievements.

ummm OK bud.

This is my favorite song from the album.

Its a decent song but I find I always skip it.

Hold Your Fire is, for me, the pinnacle of Rush's achievements. It is easy to miss out in the nuances and emotional depths on display, but a really close listen reveals the best drumming I have yet to hear from Peart, the lyrics are truly beautiful, and Geddy is just on top form vocally, and stayed that way on Presto.

It's easy to miss the nuances and emotional depths because who can stay awake long enough to get to them.

The average Dan Fogelberg album rocks harder than HYF.

It's easy to miss the nuances and emotional depths because who can stay awake long enough to get to them.

I don't think great music has to rock.

HYF is an amazing album, whatever genre it belongs too.

It belongs on Your Lite favorites on FM 102.3, right after Howard Jones, to settle things down a bit.

It belongs on Your Lite favorites on FM 102.3, right after Howard Jones, to settle things down a bit.

Good. After all that stone cold crud it would make an excellent change to have the greatness that is HYF take over the reins.

Good. After all that stone cold crud it would make an excellent change to have the greatness that is HYF take over the reins.

The boys should have posed like Frampton on the cover of I'm In You to give record buyers a taste of what they'd be hearing...

• Like 2