Why we don't love synth era Rush

laughedatbytime

I reported this thread and asked 73 to investigate it as a hate crime.

That's because you don't really like the synth era, you're just pretending to like it, and this kind of faux outrage is incredibly unconvincing.

I reported this thread and asked 73 to investigate it as a hate crime.

That's because you don't really like the synth era, you're just pretending to like it, and this kind of faux outrage is incredibly unconvincing.

Bully. I'm going to a safe place and discuss Star Wars maybe Tom Brady in OLV. Don't stalk me internet bully.

• Like 1

If you don't like marathon, the problem is between your ears.

I don't like Marathon. The lyrics are half baked and the music is pretty pedestrian. As usual for a poor Rush song Alex's lead break makes the song Without it, it would be pretty unremarkable. The weakest link on the album if you ask me. Still its better than Kid Gloves or Red Lenses.

Why don't I love the synth era? I know a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step, but still, making a list of all the reasons I don't love the synth era is too daunting to know where to begin.
  • Like 1

:zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

That just about sums it up...

This is embarrassing to see but it's your opinion.

As a drummer I absolutely LOVE playing to ALL the synth Rush records.

I just played through "Power Windows" yesterday. It's so fun to play!

My favorites are "Grace" and "Hold Your Fire."

I'm just a whore though so my opinion doesn't count.

I love playing to every Rush record up to "Counterparts."

• Like 1

So that being said. I LOVE THE RUSH SYNTH ERA!!!!

Are you kidding me? The keyboards on "Middletown Dreams" gets me every time.

"Middle aged Madonna"

Not a synth era fan . The keys on middletown dreams are good. So good i suspect its not ged.

I have always wanted clarification on what those additional dudes played on.

Edited by tangy
  • Like 1

Power Windows is the perfect example of how to play keys in a hard rock band. Can't think of a better one.

Maybe The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway?? Or any Yes album
  • Like 1

Power Windows is the perfect example of how to play keys in a hard rock band. Can't think of a better one.

I think signals was the perfect and/or the maximum allowable use of keys by the band.

Its probably why i dont include signals as part of the synth era.

• Like 2

I think signals was the perfect and/or the maximum allowable use of keys by the band.

I'm always happy to meet another Signals lover. :)

Geddy said it best...sometimes people like crap.

hence CA'S large fanbase, lol

Mick

Bigger than f***ing HYF or Presto, for sure.

The Masses are often wrong.

Mick

Mick is wrong about CA. its not the masterpiece some people make it out to be but it is very good. Very very good.

It is a MASTERPIECE, dont ever lose sight of that :rush:

CA is a PIECE alright...I'll give u that

Never got the CA love.....the albums been out eight years now, lol.

Even Average spits on it.

Mick

Has it really been eight years? Wow...

This frigg'in guy gets it. I think of Signals as the last of a trio from PeW, MP. Grace starts the Synth Era right through T4E.

• Like 1

Geddy said it best...sometimes people like crap.

hence CA'S large fanbase, lol

Mick

Bigger than f***ing HYF or Presto, for sure.

The Masses are often wrong.

Mick

Mick is wrong about CA. its not the masterpiece some people make it out to be but it is very good. Very very good.

It is a MASTERPIECE, dont ever lose sight of that :rush:

CA is a PIECE alright...I'll give u that

Never got the CA love.....the albums been out eight years now, lol.

Even Average spits on it.

Mick

Has it really been eight years? Wow...

It's been three...

Eight since S&A

Still haven't heard the former, and the latter I find great but not as perfect as PoW. Personal taste.

I love the synth era... great bass lines, great vocal melodies, some really memorable guitar parts. Oh yeah, and the synths. They add a texture and expand the Rush vocabulary to where we can really see the abundant talent and musicality of this legendary trio.
  • Like 2

Still haven't heard the former, and the latter I find great but not as perfect as PoW. Personal taste.

Personal taste indeed...I love the early Genesis and Yes albums, but I was thinking of keyboards in rather a different context when I read your statement- how about the Allman Brothers Band? Gregg Allman was (and still is) a monster on the piano and the Hammond B-3. And the Fender Rhodes, for that matter...

I love the synth era... great bass lines, great vocal melodies, some really memorable guitar parts. Oh yeah, and the synths. They add a texture and expand the Rush vocabulary to where we can really see the abundant talent and musicality of this legendary trio.

I agree with this...and I'll say it was most successfully and singularly achieved on Hold Your Fire.

The production values on that album are firmly rooted in the time during which it was made- really still the mid '80s, leaning toward the late '80s...but Alex has plenty of moments to shine, in conjunction with the synths...the separation of all the instruments is very clear, and balanced, so that none really dominates over another.

And the drumming on HYF is also stupendous. It's not often recognized as a high point for Professor Peart, but I really think it is. (I know that our friend Earl agrees with me, anyway).

• Like 4