The Official "THE FORCE AWAKENS" Thread: May The Force Of JJ Abrams Be With You! SPOILER ALERT!

RUSHHEAD666

FUKK GEORGE LUCAS!

He sold his dream to Disney for 14 Billion?

What a fukking steal.

I heard that UBER is worth 17 Billion.

CALIFORNIA UBERALIS!

Signed,

DEAD KENNEDYS

A real fukking punk band!

FRAKENCHRIST!

SOUP IS GOOD FOOD!

THE GOONS OF HAZARD!

MTV GET OFF THE AIR!!!!!'

NOW!

I love the way things have gone in a span of geological time when it applies to the Star Wars Canon.

Episodes IV through VII are simply brilliant.

I'm just not an Ewok fan.

I know Lucas couldn't afford to construct a Wookie planet back in 1983

So he had to budget and create the Ewok.

Meh

Otherwise I love it ALL

Well I'm not really a SNOOK fan.

How did this CGI mega Villian sneak into one of the greatest films ever made?

Yep, despite Villian Cheese this movie is still a 10!!

The Force Awakens is a 10!!!!

Get it Rush Star Wars nerds?

Love,

FORCE TEN

Hey Earl, how about this?----> Rey isn't Luke's daughter. Seems too easy. Doesn't nearly everyone think she is? I can't imagine so many people guessing right. For this reason, I'd guess she's not. Nobody guessed Vader was Luke's daddy before Empire.

Don't know what would work as a big shocker for Rey but I imagine every dickhead nerd whispering (not so quietly) to his bored girlfriend in the cinema "I TOLD you Rey was Luke's kid! I called it back in December 2015!" IF such a thing were revealed in episode 8. For THIS reason I hope she's NOT Luke's kid.

Signed,

The Foreskin Awakens

Jesus! I was going to go to bed but I read your post and had to fukking sign in!

Damn! I THINK YOU ARE RIGHT!

I think Rey is Luke's kid but it's too damn predictable!!!

For a second I thought that Rey and Ren were twins by Leia and Han separated at birth. One evil one good. I read that years ago.

Perhaps that's true.

All I know is that Ren and Stimpy I mean Snooke will PERISH

f**k my spelling tonight.

I'm "WASTED!"

Signed,

DEF LEPPARD

Having Rey & Ren as twins would be TOO much of a repeat. And Leia's hugging of her wasn't a mother's hug. As I said, having Rey as Luke's kid seems TOO predictable. However, they're probably going to keep her connected to the original crew soooo I'll go slightly off the board and say she's Obi Wan's granddaughter. So yeah, Obi's granddaughter beat up on Anakin's grandson 38 years after Obi took a lightsaber to the side from Vader. Seems parallel enough since Force Awakens TRULY paralleled Star Wars '77. JJ DOES like his altered parallels after all. ((see also: Trek Khan Kirk sacrifice instead of Spock))

Also, if Luke has met and/or trained Rey as a little little kid...well, of course he would've since she'd be Obi Wan's granddaughter. Luke would likely be somewhat of a father figure to her given what Obi meant to him. And she'd have Obi's Jedi blood flowing in her. Granddaughter of one of the greatest Jedi ever. The Jedi who killed Maul, chopped off Anakin's limbs, and sent Luke on his way. Yeah, Rey would make everything come full circle.

Leia & Han probably know/knew exactly who she is...after all, they named their own son after (Ben) Kenobi. They respected Obi and they gave Rey respect pretty quickly for a (supposed) stranger.

You may ask, "Who was Obi's wife?" Obi's kid(s)? Who knows? I sure don't. But I think this somewhat off the wall theory seems more likely than everyone guessing correctly that Rey's Luke's daughter.

• Like 2

Having Rey & Ren as twins would be TOO much of a repeat. And Leia's hugging of her wasn't a mother's hug. As I said, having Rey as Luke's kid seems TOO predictable. However, they're probably going to keep her connected to the original crew soooo I'll go slightly off the board and say she's Obi Wan's granddaughter. So yeah, Obi's granddaughter beat up on Anakin's grandson 38 years after Obi took a lightsaber to the side from Vader. Seems parallel enough since Force Awakens TRULY paralleled Star Wars '77. JJ DOES like his altered parallels after all. ((see also: Trek Khan Kirk sacrifice instead of Spock))

Also, if Luke has met and/or trained Rey as a little little kid...well, of course he would've since she'd be Obi Wan's granddaughter. Luke would likely be somewhat of a father figure to her given what Obi meant to him. And she'd have Obi's Jedi blood flowing in her. Granddaughter of one of the greatest Jedi ever. The Jedi who killed Maul, chopped off Anakin's limbs, and sent Luke on his way. Yeah, Rey would make everything come full circle.

Leia & Han probably know/knew exactly who she is...after all, they named their own son after (Ben) Kenobi. They respected Obi and they gave Rey respect pretty quickly for a (supposed) stranger.

You may ask, "Who was Obi's wife?" Obi's kid(s)? Who knows? I sure don't. But I think this somewhat off the wall theory seems more likely than everyone guessing correctly that Rey's Luke's daughter.

I'll bet against any relation to Obi-Wan. Rey is probably a totally new character, with no blood relation to any of the original cast. Han Solo showed no signs of knowing her or recognizing her. She was left on Jaaku at a very young age......pre-school age.

Or maybe she's Leia's daughter from an EXTRA-MARITAL AFFAIR!! After she and Han broke up, she got busy with one of her interns!! Yeah....that's it...... :scared:

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 2

I'll bet against any relation to Obi-Wan. Rey is probably a totally new character, with no blood relation to any of the original cast. Han Solo showed no signs of knowing her or recognizing her. She was left on Jaaku at a very young age......pre-school age.

Or maybe she's Leia's daughter from an EXTRA-MARITAL AFFAIR!! After she and Han broke up, she got busy with one of her interns!! Yeah....that's it...... :scared:

At a glance:

(1) I want her to be a totally new character.

(2) JJ likes parallels.

(3) I'm guessing MORE that she's NOT Luke's THAN she is Obi's grandkid. I don't even think the latter that much. I'm just saying it seems more likely than being Luke's.

Luke and Leia got drunk and finished what they started years earlier, making Rey.

• Like 1

Another thing I didn't like that I forgot about: Kylo Ren is set up as a dangerous dark side user that can stop blaster shots in mid air. He has a difficult time defeating 2 people who have no light saber experience in hand to hand combat.

Yes, this is one grievance I have.

We can spin it this way:

Finn is a Stormtrooper, and was trained since childhood to fight. As an "orphan" on Jaaku, Rey learned to defend herself quite well. She had to fight off rival scavangers and other nasty beings. She whipped those two goons from the junk dealer with ease. The two of them are no strangers to fighting.

Also, Kylo Ren may have mastered some elements of the Force, but he still has much to learn. He's not nearly as powerful or as sure of himself as Darth Vader was when he was at his peak. Vader would have killed Finn and Rey rather quickly.

You're right: Rey "whipped two GOONS". GOONS. She IS strong with the force but has never been trained.

- Finn refused to gun down civilians in his first battle. Prior to that he was a janitor. Besides, since when has a Stormtrooper been worth a shit (until now)?! They might be able to hit the side of the Millennium Falcon but I wouldn't trust any of them to take on someone trained in the force for anything longer than a split second.

- Kylo Ren is strong with the force, has received some training without a doubt, can stop blasters in mid motion for several minutes then have them resume speed, AND took out ALL of Luke's apprentice Jedis BEFORE these events. Yet he had trouble (and was defeated) by Finn & Rey?...yeah, that's at least a little hard to swallow.

- Really though, I can't find any other things to nitpick (unless you count Adam Driver reminding me of David Schwimmer who I dislike...but Driver isn't bad) so this one gets at least a "B+" from me, likely an "A-".

Maybe I'm missing something, but Ren beat up on Finn pretty quickly and easily. So what we're left with is an incompletely trained Ren, who admits being incredibly conflicted about his actions and who is obviously an emotional wreck on a good day, just killed his father, got shot by one of the strongest blasters in the galaxy, and is admittedly not trying to kill the girl (he needs the map and he wants to train her). Rey is obviously an unnaturally powerful force-user and she was obviously well trained in the use of her Bo. This is a complete non-issue. Especially in a galaxy where a whiny farm-boy battles the strongest Jedi/Sith ever to a near draw on the strength of 15 minutes of lightsaber training and a weekend force-training trip with Yoda.

If we want to criticize this movie, stick with rehash of plot, the simplicity of executing the climax action (and the ease of coming up with the plan), Finn's consistent over-acting, or that people who know each for about 8 minutes become besties.

Some fair points there especially the bit about Ren NOT wanting to kill Rey. We can say the same about Vader not wanting/trying to kill Luke.

What 8 minute besties are you talking about?

Fin and Poe are the worst, but Finn and Rey are pretty bad, too.

To be clear, I loved the movie. I just think they are far worse issues than this fight. Like R2-D2 having the info and magically coming back online right when the plot needed him to.

That's it! I knew I was forgetting the other issue I had: R2's revival.

Don't see the Finn & Poe problem seeing that Finn saved him from further torture. Then they helped each other escape. The Finn & Rey issue I get but it didn't bother me.

Oh, back to that fight for a sec, Finn did get whipped but he did hold his own long enough for Rey to recover. I'm saying he should've been wiped out in less than a second regardless of the other traumatic things you mentioned Ren going through.

And yeah, I liked this movie quite a bit too. I complain about Jedi too but I liked that a lot so I wouldn't worry too much about any slight negativity I state regarding Force Awakens.

Let's face it, the plot called for a light saber fight, and neither Finn nor Rey could hold their own long enough for the danger Ren posed. Perhaps Ren hasn't faced a situation which required him to duel in a few years, and due to his emotional state and physical injuries, it took the saber injury to snap him out of his funk and pour it on. Ren hasn't achieved mastery of the force, and he's obviously not mastered his emotions.

My biggest problem with this fight is how often people get hit with so little consequence. But it's a minor quibble.

Yes minor quibble but that should stop us because let's face it JJ fracked up a bit. If Finn and Rey just had a bit of a harder time against Ren his character is more imposing, interesting to us. Also the force wouldn't appear "easy" to master. It could have been done.

Still a great film perhaps better than Return of the Jedi...maybe.

Not for me. I like having a new type of bad guy with more depth and room for growth out of the gate. Ren is already twice as interesting as Maul and Dooku combined. And his untamed power and emotional conflict/immaturity are a lot to do with this.

• Like 2

Another thing I didn't like that I forgot about: Kylo Ren is set up as a dangerous dark side user that can stop blaster shots in mid air. He has a difficult time defeating 2 people who have no light saber experience in hand to hand combat.

We can spin it this way:

Finn is a Stormtrooper, and was trained since childhood to fight. As an "orphan" on Jaaku, Rey learned to defend herself quite well. She had to fight off rival scavangers and other nasty beings. She whipped those two goons from the junk dealer with ease. The two of them are no strangers to fighting.

Also, Kylo Ren may have mastered some elements of the Force, but he still has much to learn. He's not nearly as powerful or as sure of himself as Darth Vader was when he was at his peak. Vader would have killed Finn and Rey rather quickly.

You're right: Rey "whipped two GOONS". GOONS. She IS strong with the force but has never been trained.

- Finn refused to gun down civilians in his first battle. Prior to that he was a janitor. Besides, since when has a Stormtrooper been worth a shit (until now)?! They might be able to hit the side of the Millennium Falcon but I wouldn't trust any of them to take on someone trained in the force for anything longer than a split second.

- Kylo Ren is strong with the force, has received some training without a doubt, can stop blasters in mid motion for several minutes then have them resume speed, AND took out ALL of Luke's apprentice Jedis BEFORE these events. Yet he had trouble (and was defeated) by Finn & Rey?...yeah, that's at least a little hard to swallow.

- Really though, I can't find any other things to nitpick (unless you count Adam Driver reminding me of David Schwimmer who I dislike...but Driver isn't bad) so this one gets at least a "B+" from me, likely an "A-".

Maybe I'm missing something, but Ren beat up on Finn pretty quickly and easily. So what we're left with is an incompletely trained Ren, who admits being incredibly conflicted about his actions and who is obviously an emotional wreck on a good day, just killed his father, got shot by one of the strongest blasters in the galaxy, and is admittedly not trying to kill the girl (he needs the map and he wants to train her). Rey is obviously an unnaturally powerful force-user and she was obviously well trained in the use of her Bo. This is a complete non-issue. Especially in a galaxy where a whiny farm-boy battles the strongest Jedi/Sith ever to a near draw on the strength of 15 minutes of lightsaber training and a weekend force-training trip with Yoda.

If we want to criticize this movie, stick with rehash of plot, the simplicity of executing the climax action (and the ease of coming up with the plan), Finn's consistent over-acting, or that people who know each for about 8 minutes become besties.

Some fair points there especially the bit about Ren NOT wanting to kill Rey. We can say the same about Vader not wanting/trying to kill Luke.

To be clear, I loved the movie. I just think they are far worse issues than this fight. Like R2-D2 having the info and magically coming back online right when the plot needed him to.

Don't see the Finn & Poe problem seeing that Finn saved him from further torture. Then they helped each other escape. The Finn & Rey issue I get but it didn't bother me.

Oh, back to that fight for a sec, Finn did get whipped but he did hold his own long enough for Rey to recover. I'm saying he should've been wiped out in less than a second regardless of the other traumatic things you mentioned Ren going through.

And yeah, I liked this movie quite a bit too. I complain about Jedi too but I liked that a lot so I wouldn't worry too much about any slight negativity I state regarding Force Awakens.

Let's face it, the plot called for a light saber fight, and neither Finn nor Rey could hold their own long enough for the danger Ren posed. Perhaps Ren hasn't faced a situation which required him to duel in a few years, and due to his emotional state and physical injuries, it took the saber injury to snap him out of his funk and pour it on. Ren hasn't achieved mastery of the force, and he's obviously not mastered his emotions.

My biggest problem with this fight is how often people get hit with so little consequence. But it's a minor quibble.

Yes minor quibble but that should stop us because let's face it JJ fracked up a bit. If Finn and Rey just had a bit of a harder time against Ren his character is more imposing, interesting to us. Also the force wouldn't appear "easy" to master. It could have been done.

Not for me. I like having a new type of bad guy with more depth and room for growth out of the gate. Ren is already twice as interesting as Maul and Dooku combined. And his untamed power and emotional conflict/immaturity are a lot to do with this.

I agree. I was saying a very similar thing to Earl somewhere in this thread in regards to Ren & Maul.

• Like 1

Kylo Ren hasa lot of potential, but he has no discipline. His real power comes from anger, but he's unorganized and lacks focus.

Vader would clean the floors with him, so would Maul. When Luke fights him, it's going to be interesting.

Kylo Ren hasa lot of potential, but he has no discipline. His real power comes from anger, but he's unorganized and lacks focus.

Vader would clean the floors with him, so would Maul. When Luke fights him, it's going to be interesting.

That's exactly why Finn and Rey were able to take it to him. Combine that with a Sith's arrogance and overconfidence and that right there is why he didn't just simply destroy them within seconds.

Vader was always cool, calm and in control. Even when someone disappointed him he didn't destroy control rooms and throw tantrums like Kylo. Vader might raise his voice or force choke someone to death but he did things with a disciplined, confident and sure demeanor. Vader would drop Kylo within seconds and not think anything about it after that.

Kylo does have potential to be a really good character if he can put it all together and manage situations the same way Vader did. Something tells me that won't happen though. I think he falls short of following in Vader's footsteps and finishing what Vader started.

That's exactly why Finn and Rey were able to take it to him. Combine that with a Sith's arrogance and overconfidence and that right there is why he didn't just simply destroy them within seconds.

Vader was always cool, calm and in control. Even when someone disappointed him he didn't destroy control rooms and throw tantrums like Kylo. Vader might raise his voice or force choke someone to death but he did things with a disciplined, confident and sure demeanor. Vader would drop Kylo within seconds and not think anything about it after that.

Kylo does have potential to be a really good character if he can put it all together and manage situations the same way Vader did. Something tells me that won't happen though. I think he falls short of following in Vader's footsteps and finishing what Vader started.

I think there's a good chance that Ren will become more disciplined and dangerous, now that he's done away with his father. Snoke will continue his training, and he'll be more focused. Ultimately, he'll have a final battle with either Luke or Rey. She will be training with Luke, and we will learn more about Ren and how he destroyed Luke's new Jedi academy.

Of course, we'll have to wait until Episode IX to see that Final Battle....coming soon! (In 2019)

• Like 1

I also like that Ren is undisciplined because of youth and inexperience and look forward to seeing what training is like on the dark side.

My biggest gripe is dipping into the Death Star well again, this time with an immobile planet. I was able to forgive Battlestar Galactica for the same silliness in 1978 but JJ should be smarter in 2015.

• Like 1

Luke and Leia got drunk and finished what they started years earlier, making Rey.

That's very interesting. Greg and Marsha Brady eventually fall in love too and have a couple of kids together.

We can spin it this way:

I agree. I was saying a very similar thing to Earl somewhere in this thread in regards to Ren & Maul.

Yep you were Blaze. I get it. I was never a fan of Dooku.

I also like that Ren is undisciplined because of youth and inexperience and look forward to seeing what training is like on the dark side.

My biggest gripe is dipping into the Death Star well again, this time with an immobile planet. I was able to forgive Battlestar Galactica for the same silliness in 1978 but JJ should be smarter in 2015.

Doing something like the death star again makes perfect sense actually. Kylo wants so much to be like Vader, why wouldn't he create his own version of the death star.

• Like 1

Doing something like the death star again makes perfect sense actually. Kylo wants so much to be like Vader, why wouldn't he create his own version of the death star.

Not to mention the weapon trumps the DS in terms of size and destructive power. Can hit multiple targets. Pretty bad schtuff
  • Like 1

So this immobile Death Star is funded from Kylo Ren's expense account???

Who knows?

How was the creation of the death star funded? Did Palpatine and Vader use their own finances or did they just tell the workers "build this or you will be destroyed".

Details like that aren't really told.

• Like 1

So this immobile Death Star is funded from Kylo Ren's expense account???

Did Palpatine and Vader use their own finances or did they just tell the workers "build this or you will be destroyed"

We know what happens when most workers for the Sith/Empire/First Order are challenged.

They "double their efforts". Even if the need more men to do the job.

• Like 2

I think we can assume that the Starkiller base took decades to build (via millions of workers and droids). This was definitely a long-term Sith/Empire project. Just as the 2nd Death Star was built to surpass the 1st, so was this new Base built to surpass everything.

so was this new Base built to surpass everything.

But it doesn't. Being built on an immobile planet how may worlds are really threatened? It seems pretty easy to defend against.

Going to see it again Christmas weekend. Freaking awesome movie.

I love Star Wars......it's a spaghetti western set in space. A Saturday morning serial with a monster budget. Star Wars nerds crack me up. Like you think this is supposed to be intelligent sci-fi.

It's not. It is supposed to be fun.

You want serious? Go watch Next Generation Star Trek which bores me to tears.

When I want fun I watch JJ's Star Trek reboot which got my wife who can't stand Star Trek into it. Of course I love the original crew and all the movies except for the god awful Star Trek V.

Anyway....This film I actually have ranked ahead of Jedi.

Empire Strikes Back

A New Hope

The Force Awakens

Return Of The Jedi

Revenge of The Sith

The Phantom Menace

Attack Of The Clones

Edited by Todem
  • Like 1