The Official "THE FORCE AWAKENS" Thread: May The Force Of JJ Abrams Be With You! SPOILER ALERT!

RUSHHEAD666

That's the refreshing part about Kylo Ren. He's not some broad shouldered, dark lord with an intimidating James Earl Jones voice OR some acrobatic, horned warrior with a double ended light saber. Much of the time Ren doesn't get what he wants, throws a tantrum then destroys the room like some aggressive teen with some power but little discipline. That's great! He was way more interesting than the hop skip and jumping red-faced toad Ray Parks. None of the original films needed athletes to create dramatic light saber duels. Phantom Menace got their athlete but it didn't matter.

I agree 100%. Those who turn to the Dark Side are not going to be all alike. Turning to evil and using the Dark Side of the Force has very little to do with wearing a black mask and cape. That is what Kylo Ren doesn't get. He's trying soooooo hard to be Darth Vader, but as we all saw, he's failing at it. He's too conflicted emotionally, he's too immature, he's too WEAK. He can dress up like Vader all he wants, but he'll never be Vader......

If there is to be a great lightsaber battle in these new films, I would rather have Luke be doing it. I think that's what we're all expecting to see - Luke being the Ultimate Jedi Master and displaying a mind-boggling use of the Force.

• Like 2

The only bit I really disliked in the film was the whole sequence with the Rathtars - I felt it was irrelevant and could've been dropped. They could have used that running time to have some flashbacks to Ren's earlier life to give him greater context, maybe - I felt the character needed that once his lineage was revealed.

Apart from that, loved it. I just hope Ep VIII does something completely new with the story, rather than echo old storylines (seems to be a habit that JJ's getting into, what with this and Star Trek Into Darkness).

They could have used that running time to have some flashbacks to Ren's earlier life to give him greater context, maybe - I felt the character needed that once his lineage was revealed.

I'm betting that we'll see much of Kylo Ren's story in Episode VIII. Now that Luke has been found, we'll find out what happened between him and Ren.

I'd pay 20 bucks to watch Daisey Ridley water her damn plants for two hours

Awww...that's so sweet....!!

http://intouch.wunderweib.de/assets/field/image/daisy-ridley.jpg

;) ;)

Hope she's got a good personality because she's a bit homely.

You're joking, right? I think she's gorgeous..... :wub: :wub:

Not really. I wasn't being mean, but she looks kind of goofy to me.

Wow. "Goofy" or "homely" aren't words I would've thought. I think "cute" or "pretty". And I wouldn't disagree with "gorgeous"

Gorgeous is too strong of a word to describe her. She's a nice looking woman, that's for sure. Part of her attractiveness in the movie is how bad ass and independent she is. Once she becomes a Jedi, that will probably make her even more attractive since she will then become everything she was meant to be.

Edited by J2112YYZ

Who is going to kill Ren in Episode VIII?

1. General Leia

2. Luke Skywalker

3. Rey Skywalker

4. That stupid CGI Bald Harry Potter Villian in a big chair

I Think I'm Going Bald!!!

That stupid First Order creature feature is just pathetic.

Is Abrams sabataging the Star Wars Franchise by making the evil characters weak and cheesy?

Now I know why Star Trek sucks.

Well Abrams made that franchise better too.

Fukk

I'm "LOST"

Lol

One of my favorite Y&T songs too.

I bet you Prog Princes and Princesses have no clue to what I am typing about.

Good

I have The Force

Do you?

I have the fire

I have the force

I have the power

To make my evil take its course

666 the Number Of The Beast!

Hell and fire were born to be released!!!

• Like 1

Kylo is one dangerous mofo. Angry, misguided, and undisciplined - with superpowers. Watch out. This guys is going to embrace the dark side in a whole new way, I think and one day he's going to throw a tantrum.... I don't even want to think about it.

Poor Leia. She's lost so many people close to her. That's turning out to be the real tragedy here, IMHO.

Maybe she's the one, through her love and willpower that reconcile Luke and Kylo, and then truly bring balance to The Force, and with that, peace?

As far as the Force awakening.... R2 woke up didn't he? LOL. You have to wonder just how many strings that little guy has been pulling all along.

(I haven't seen the movie yet.. jsut going by reviews and spoilers at this point. Leaving in about an hour to go see it)

Edited by grep

She's adorable!

My God the acting in this film is top notch!

I love that British accent in Star Wars films!

The prequels suck but I still like them.

Darth Maul was the best thing from those CGI disasters.

Episode VII is A New Hope on steroids.

Blaze!

You were right again!

All of my bulkshit talk was a waste of time.

I think Ren is weak and a waste of time and I can't wait for Luke's daughter to fuckking slaughter Leia's son.

Hell I already thought she was going to destroy that wimp Ren Solo.

I also must say that I am not impressed with that lame ass evil CGI troll Harry Potter Stool Sample.

So 9/10

I was "Flying High Again" last night after I saw it

I'm too tired to read all of your comments but I caught yours Presto.

Amazing post.

Epic.

Just like Episode VII

Watching Empire tonight.

Yet another masterpiece.

I love Return also minus the Ewoks.

Oh well.

Budgets.

"I've got a bad feeling about this" is in IV and V too!

Star Wars and Rush forever!!

I am a nerd!

Who gives s fukk!

Who gives a f**k? You do Earl ! I do! Everyone reading this! That's why we're here! We give a f**k! Well, at least a little.

Onwards...

That's the refreshing part about Kylo Ren. He's not some broad shouldered, dark lord with an intimidating James Earl Jones voice OR some acrobatic, horned warrior with a double ended light saber. Much of the time Ren doesn't get what he wants, throws a tantrum then destroys the room like some aggressive teen with some power but little discipline. That's great! He was way more interesting than the hop skip and jumping red-faced toad Ray Parks. None of the original films needed athletes to create dramatic light saber duels. Phantom Menace got their athlete but it didn't matter. The movie was a sweaty, swampy, sack of balls. Just thinking about it makes mine a little swampy and itchy! I can forget that Adam Driver reminds me of the crappy David Schwimmer because the character Ren is interesting AND Driver does a decent job.

"I've got a bad feeling about this"...quite the opposite. I've got a good feeling about this. A really good feeling. :blaze:

Ok Blaze! You got me man!

We all do give a fukk!

I'm a junkie.

Your take on Ren makes great sense.

I totally get it.

I loved Maul but his character development was zero.

Hardly any dialog.

I loved the character for his evil looks.

Ren's character will be fully developed by the end of VIII

The script has been written.

The storyboards are being designed.

Ren vs Rey!

Should be fun!

May The Force Be With You Blaze!

I can see through your mask of forum lunacy.

You are smart and very witty!

Now get down on your Jedi knees and suck my left titty!!!

• Like 1

Kylo is one dangerous mofo. Angry, misguided, and undisciplined - with superpowers. Watch out. This guys is going to embrace the dark side in a whole new way, I think and one day he's going to throw a tantrum.... I don't even want to think about it.

I like your two post grep!!! I totally agree!! Please post your review of the movie! I want to read your take!

I like all these new, young characters. Finn grounds this movie like Han did in the first one. No, I'm not saying he's as good as Ford or anything like that. But he seems like he provides that sense of cowboy with humor.

Finn's role in this story is a mystery. Does he have Force potential, or is he just the new version of Solo? We know that even though he was born and bred to be a killer, his innner character is Good. That's similar to Solo's smuggler-killer with a heart of gold. Regardless, Finn is an excellent character. He shows great fear, but shows courage when he needs it the most.

Well, since the force is everywhere and in all of us and all that, then yeah Finn has potential with it. And he's all those things you said here too. Most important, the actor (whoever he is) does a good job. All the actors in this AT LEAST do okay but many do very well (I'm thinking Rey & Finn specifically).

Oh, I hope in the next flick they don't pull some shit out of their ass and say that Finn is Lando Calrissian's son or nephew or (god please no) clone. It'd be awful like in the last Star Trek film when Benedict Cumberbatch revealed, "I am Khan." f**k you, no you're not. You're Benedict Cumberbatch!

Now that I've seen this, Star Wars movies are 4-3. Star Trek stands at 4-8.

Which are your 4 for SW? I think I prefer episode 3 to episode 7 personally so I am curious.

Original 3 + this one.

In another thread I graded the prequels like this...

Phantom: F

Clones: D

Revenge: C

None of those had any humor, took itself too seriously at times, was loaded with cheesedick scenes, and had some actors and characters I hated.

If you're curious, the only Trek movies I liked were Khan, Undiscovered Country, First Contact, and the first reboot (though that seemed like a good homage but not Trek). The whale one had some good stuff but I never liked the saving humpback whales to save themselves idea. I didn't see the humanitarian bit that it was trying to pass itself off as. I saw the survivalist bit.

Glad someone said it. I've been seeing people rank Sith over certain OT movies lately, and it just boggles my mind. It really does. I know people have different opinions, but it's as close to being wrong with an opinion as humanly possible. Even as much as I like Sith (and it's my favourite PT movie), it doesn't even come close to any of the first three films. People go on and on about Ewoks being odd and off-putting, but apparently, Anakin's stupid love mumbo jumbo and referring to the Force as "new powers" from the Emperor are A-OK. I just don't think I can understand. Again, I like Sith, but none of the moments in the originals made me cringe. There were many cringeworthy moments in the prequels.

Luckily, Episode VII got back to good feelings, fairly good acting, and natural humour, while not shitting itself in many areas. Is it perfect? Absolutely not. But it does so many things right, whereas the prequel movies did very few things right. And when I say "very few", I mean it. Hell, if you can stomach those Padme/Anakin love scenes and the horrendous CGI, then good on ya. But I'll never be able to rank them anywhere above a 5/10. And really, that's being generous.

• Like 2

I have seen the original three films more times than I can count. SW 36 times in the theater, ESB 18 and RotJ 7 on the big screen. I have seen the prequel films once each, life is too short to revisit them. I'm already thinking Force Awakens again Christmas morning, by myself even if my wife won't go. Perfect? No but 4.7 stars out of five easily.

Now that Gun on Ice Planet Zero problem I have is another subject...

Luckily, Episode VII got back to good feelings, fairly good acting, and natural humour, while not shitting itself in many areas. Is it perfect? Absolutely not. But it does so many things right, whereas the prequel movies did very few things right. And when I say "very few", I mean it. Hell, if you can stomach those Padme/Anakin love scenes and the horrendous CGI, then good on ya. But I'll never be able to rank them anywhere above a 5/10. And really, that's being generous.

I know of very few films that are truly perfect, so any minor flaws in The Force Awakens are not a problem. I always expect at least 1-2 clunky moments in every film I see.

Phantom Menace - D (Dreadful, but Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor were very good)

Attack of The Clones - C-minus (A new low in dialogue. McGregor carried the film, Christopher Lee was a delight)

Revenge of The Sith - B (Great imagery. More action, less putrid dialogue. Ian McDiarmid stole the show as Palpatine)

A New Hope - A

The Empire Strikes Back - A-Plus

Return of The Jedi - A-Minus (Had the Ewoks been more real and less teddy-bearish, it would have been an A-Plus)

The Force Awakens - A (Excellent return to the spirit and feel of the original trilogy. Excellent imagery and effects. Could have used more involvement from Leia. Supreme Leader SnoKe? "SNOKE"? They could have come up with a better name than "SNOKE"....... :doh: )

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 1

I know of very few films that are truly perfect, so any minor flaws in The Force Awakens are not a problem. I always expect at least 1-2 clunky moments in every film I see.

Phantom Menace - D (Dreadful, but Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor were very good)

Attack of The Clones - C-minus (A new low in dialogue. McGregor carried the film, Christopher Lee was a delight)

Revenge of The Sith - B (Great imagery. More action, less putrid dialogue. Ian McDiarmid stole the show as Palpatine)

A New Hope - A

The Empire Strikes Back - A-Plus

Return of The Jedi - A-Minus (Had the Ewoks been more real and less teddy-bearish, it would have been an A-Plus)

The Force Awakens - A (Excellent return to the spirit and feel of the original trilogy. Excellent imagery and effects. Could have used more involvement from Leia. Supreme Leader Snope? "SNOPE"? They could have come up with a better name than "SNOPE"....... :doh: )

That's funny, I was thinking about the name "Snope" too. "Snope" just sounds like some lieutenant that Vader would strangle in Episode 4. :LOL:

Your ratings of the originals and Force Awakens are pretty close to mine. Your prequel ratings are all one notch higher than mine.

Saw it this morning at the IMAX.

Freaking glorious. It felt like Star Wars again. The Star Wars I grew up with.

It was fantastic. The gap between Episode VII and Episode I, II and III is vast. And the gap between VII from IV and VI is narrow.

Empire will always be the Holy Grail of the Star Wars films.

• Like 2

There have now been 7 of these movies? I thought there only 4 or 5 and I'm not sure I've seen more than 3 of them. Clearly they made quite an impact on me.

Actually there are 29 Star Wars films. They're just spreading out their releases so as to not mess with the marketing of their toys.

I like all these new, young characters. Finn grounds this movie like Han did in the first one. No, I'm not saying he's as good as Ford or anything like that. But he seems like he provides that sense of cowboy with humor.

Finn's role in this story is a mystery. Does he have Force potential, or is he just the new version of Solo? We know that even though he was born and bred to be a killer, his innner character is Good. That's similar to Solo's smuggler-killer with a heart of gold. Regardless, Finn is an excellent character. He shows great fear, but shows courage when he needs it the most.

Well, since the force is everywhere and in all of us and all that, then yeah Finn has potential with it. And he's all those things you said here too. Most important, the actor (whoever he is) does a good job. All the actors in this AT LEAST do okay but many do very well (I'm thinking Rey & Finn specifically).

Oh, I hope in the next flick they don't pull some shit out of their ass and say that Finn is Lando Calrissian's son or nephew or (god please no) clone. It'd be awful like in the last Star Trek film when Benedict Cumberbatch revealed, "I am Khan." f**k you, no you're not. You're Benedict Cumberbatch!

Now that I've seen this, Star Wars movies are 4-3. Star Trek stands at 4-8.

Which are your 4 for SW? I think I prefer episode 3 to episode 7 personally so I am curious.

Original 3 + this one.

In another thread I graded the prequels like this...

Phantom: F

Clones: D

Revenge: C

None of those had any humor, took itself too seriously at times, was loaded with cheesedick scenes, and had some actors and characters I hated.

If you're curious, the only Trek movies I liked were Khan, Undiscovered Country, First Contact, and the first reboot (though that seemed like a good homage but not Trek). The whale one had some good stuff but I never liked the saving humpback whales to save themselves idea. I didn't see the humanitarian bit that it was trying to pass itself off as. I saw the survivalist bit.

Glad someone said it. I've been seeing people rank Sith over certain OT movies lately, and it just boggles my mind. It really does. I know people have different opinions, but it's as close to being wrong with an opinion as humanly possible. Even as much as I like Sith (and it's my favourite PT movie), it doesn't even come close to any of the first three films. People go on and on about Ewoks being odd and off-putting, but apparently, Anakin's stupid love mumbo jumbo and referring to the Force as "new powers" from the Emperor are A-OK. I just don't think I can understand. Again, I like Sith, but none of the moments in the originals made me cringe. There were many cringeworthy moments in the prequels.

This is why there is little enjoyment in this type of conversation. Other people's opinions about movies are wrong? Please. You decide to ignore issues with ewoks so why isn't it ok to ignore an easily ignorable love story?

Your ratings of the originals and Force Awakens are pretty close to mine. Your prequel ratings are all one notch higher than mine.

Very few films have gotten an "F" from me. David Lynch's Dune, Bridget Jones' Diary, Independence Day, and Kingsmen come to mind ....... :facepalm: :facepalm:

• Like 1

Very few films have gotten an "F" from me. David Lynch's Dune, Bridget Jones' Diary, Independence Day, and Kingsmen come to mind ....... :facepalm: :facepalm:

I thought Independence Day was a lot of fun. Four rooms is a terrible movie.

This is why there is little enjoyment in this type of conversation. Other people's opinions about movies are wrong? Please. You decide to ignore issues with ewoks so why isn't it ok to ignore an easily ignorable love story?

Star Wars fans are like pro football fans.

Armchair directors, armchair head coaches......they're all the same. Our opinions are facts, while everyone else's opinions are irrational bunk..... :LOL: :lol:

• Like 1

As a kid, I fell asleep watching Dune. I've never seen BJ's Diary or Kingsmen. Independence Day really is similar to Phantom Menace to me in that there are pretty colors and explosions that try in vain to mask 2+ hours of annoying characters and stupidity.

Go watch Johnny Depp in "Cry Baby" to increase your number of F movies by one.

Another thing I didn't like that I forgot about: Kylo Ren is set up as a dangerous dark side user that can stop blaster shots in mid air. He has a difficult time defeating 2 people who have no light saber experience in hand to hand combat.

Yes, this is one grievance I have.

We can spin it this way:

Finn is a Stormtrooper, and was trained since childhood to fight. As an "orphan" on Jaaku, Rey learned to defend herself quite well. She had to fight off rival scavangers and other nasty beings. She whipped those two goons from the junk dealer with ease. The two of them are no strangers to fighting.

Also, Kylo Ren may have mastered some elements of the Force, but he still has much to learn. He's not nearly as powerful or as sure of himself as Darth Vader was when he was at his peak. Vader would have killed Finn and Rey rather quickly.

You're right: Rey "whipped two GOONS". GOONS. She IS strong with the force but has never been trained.

- Finn refused to gun down civilians in his first battle. Prior to that he was a janitor. Besides, since when has a Stormtrooper been worth a shit (until now)?! They might be able to hit the side of the Millennium Falcon but I wouldn't trust any of them to take on someone trained in the force for anything longer than a split second.

- Kylo Ren is strong with the force, has received some training without a doubt, can stop blasters in mid motion for several minutes then have them resume speed, AND took out ALL of Luke's apprentice Jedis BEFORE these events. Yet he had trouble (and was defeated) by Finn & Rey?...yeah, that's at least a little hard to swallow.

- Really though, I can't find any other things to nitpick (unless you count Adam Driver reminding me of David Schwimmer who I dislike...but Driver isn't bad) so this one gets at least a "B+" from me, likely an "A-".

Maybe I'm missing something, but Ren beat up on Finn pretty quickly and easily. So what we're left with is an incompletely trained Ren, who admits being incredibly conflicted about his actions and who is obviously an emotional wreck on a good day, just killed his father, got shot by one of the strongest blasters in the galaxy, and is admittedly not trying to kill the girl (he needs the map and he wants to train her). Rey is obviously an unnaturally powerful force-user and she was obviously well trained in the use of her Bo. This is a complete non-issue. Especially in a galaxy where a whiny farm-boy battles the strongest Jedi/Sith ever to a near draw on the strength of 15 minutes of lightsaber training and a weekend force-training trip with Yoda.

If we want to criticize this movie, stick with rehash of plot, the simplicity of executing the climax action (and the ease of coming up with the plan), Finn's consistent over-acting, or that people who know each for about 8 minutes become besties.