The Official "THE FORCE AWAKENS" Thread: May The Force Of JJ Abrams Be With You! SPOILER ALERT!

RUSHHEAD666

I also like that Ren is undisciplined because of youth and inexperience and look forward to seeing what training is like on the dark side.

My biggest gripe is dipping into the Death Star well again, this time with an immobile planet. I was able to forgive Battlestar Galactica for the same silliness in 1978 but JJ should be smarter in 2015.

Doing something like the death star again makes perfect sense actually. Kylo wants so much to be like Vader, why wouldn't he create his own version of the death star.

so was this new Base built to surpass everything.

But it doesn't. Being built on an immobile planet how may worlds are really threatened? It seems pretty easy to defend against.

My 9yo son would like to know why anyone would essentially recreate a design that was easily destroyed twice already by small craft. I have no answer for him.

Government red tape, buerocracy, and giving contracts to the lowest bidder.

For What it's worth......my rankings

The Phantom Menace- D

Attack of the Clone-F

Revenge of the Sith-B (Rated high Only for Ian McDiarmid's deliciously Psychotic Sidious. That man is a joy to watch)

A New Hope-A

The Empire Strikes Back-A+

Return of The Jedi-B- (The weakest of the original trilogy for me......Ewoks can die, lol)

The Force Awakens-B+ (As stated.....extremely solid. Kylo Ren......best Antagonist in a while. but some points off for basically being A New Hope, 2.0

Mick

The Phantom Menace- D

Attack of the Clone-F

Revenge of the Sith-B (Rated high Only for Ian McDiarmid's deliciously Psychotic Sidious. That man is a joy to watch)

A New Hope-A

Return of The Jedi-B- (The weakest of the original trilogy for me......Ewoks can die, lol)

The Force Awakens-B+ (As stated.....extremely solid. Kylo Ren......best Antagonist in a while. but some points off for basically being A New Hope, 2.0

Mick

funny, my coworker told me it was basically ANH. If it aint broke why fix?

The Phantom Menace- D

Attack of the Clone-F

A New Hope-A

Mick

As I said in an earlier post, JJ likes his slightly altered parallels.

The Phantom Menace- D

Attack of the Clone-F

A New Hope-A

Mick

Perhaps Disney and Abrams thought it was Priority One to bring back the Original Trilogy's massive fanbase. An entirely new plotline, in their minds, was too risky.

• Like 2

The Phantom Menace- D

Attack of the Clone-F

A New Hope-A

Mick

Perhaps Disney and Abrams thought it was Priority One to bring back the Original Trilogy's massive fanbase. An entirely new plotline, in their minds, was too risky.

That too. Frankly, I think that's part of why JJ was chosen. I'm not complaining about him (I like him for the most part...especially this flick), I just think that's what he does.

Kylo Ren looks like the son of Keanu Reeves, not Han Solo.

http://www.clarin.com/espectaculos/Adam-Driver_CLAIMA20140227_0094_4.jpg

I was thinking David Schwimmer.

http://image.funscrape.com/images/d/david_schwimmer-10355.jpg

But I can see Keanu too.

http://www.topnews.in/light/files/Keanu-Reeves.jpg

He looks like the son of something- he really needs to wear that helmet 24/7 haha.

You know the prequels were bad when I can't remember almost anything about any of them!

Plus I saw them exactly once each in the theaters. Compare that to like fifty times for the original trilogy and this new one I'll probably see again in the theaters and of course 10 more times on DVD later :)

I just really hope when they finally show Supreme Leader Kun-Jun-Il or whomever it's not the crappy CGI giant they had in this, and it's some regular evil-looking guy like Sidious was.

/caps

CAN YOU IMAGINE IF SOMEHOW SIDIOUS WAS THE SUPREME BAD GUY IN THE FORCE AWAKENS?

DAMN, THAT WOULD BE A HELL OF A MOVIE!!!

/caps

Edited by Del_Duio
  • Like 1

I also like that Ren is undisciplined because of youth and inexperience and look forward to seeing what training is like on the dark side.

My biggest gripe is dipping into the Death Star well again, this time with an immobile planet. I was able to forgive Battlestar Galactica for the same silliness in 1978 but JJ should be smarter in 2015.

Doing something like the death star again makes perfect sense actually. Kylo wants so much to be like Vader, why wouldn't he create his own version of the death star.

Redoing the death star doesn't bother me as much as using up the f***ing star!?! So now that hey used up their only source of light, they won't wither away and die in the cold vacuum of space? Plus, why did they need the entire star to destroy one planet? But other than that, I have no complaints

Looking at the new Death Star/Death Planet thingie I can't help but think of the resources needed to build it. To build a planet-sized object it would take the resources from multiple, if not hundreds or thousands. of planets. Think of all the transportation time and costs involved. Making such a thing seems silly versus creating a weapons base on an existing planet. Plus, it would take generations to create it.

I'm all for suspension of disbelief but sometimes things are too absurd to be disbelieved.

• Like 1

I'm not concern aboot resources or how long it would take to construct. They have the technology and likely slave labor or conscripts working the job. I just don't buy an immobile planet as a weapons platform that the known Galaxy should fear.
  • Like 1

I just really hope when they finally show Supreme Leader Kun-Jun-Il or whomever it's not the crappy CGI giant they had in this, and it's some regular evil-looking guy like Sidious was.

When Kylo Ren was conferring with Supreme Leader Snoke, it was via holographic projection. As always, the Sith see themselves as larger than life, so Snoke had his projection room make him much larger than he really is.

When we do meet Snoke for real, it would be nice to see a real person rather than a CGI creature.

Loved it but Han's death seemed hasty. Would have had a bigger impact if we got to see more interaction with Kylo. And he should have been reunited with Luke first. Plus there should have been some sort of ceremony. I dunno, kind of left me feeling like "that's it?"

Loved it but Han's death seemed hasty. Would have had a bigger impact if we got to see more interaction with Kylo. And he should have been reunited with Luke first. Plus there should have been some sort of ceremony. I dunno, kind of left me feeling like "that's it?"

I think they'll touch more on Han's death in the next one. No three year wait between films this time around. Episode 8 will be out in summer of 2017. So, we don't have to wait that long. Both Chewie and Leia were probably in the shock/denial stage and Chewie needed to flee the Starkiller and get Finn and Rey to safety before it blew up. Han's death probably hadn't even hit both them at that point.

While Han wasn't a Jedi or force sensitive (that we know of anyways) it doesn't mean Luke can't reunite with him in some way in the next film or the one after.

I think they'll touch more on Han's death in the next one. No three year wait between films this time around. Episode 8 will be out in summer of 2017. So, we don't have to wait that long. Both Chewie and Leia were probably in the shock/denial stage and Chewie needed to flee the Starkiller and get Finn and Rey to safety before it blew up. Han's death probably hadn't even hit both them at that point.

While Han wasn't a Jedi or force sensitive (that we know of anyways) it doesn't mean Luke can't reunite with him in some way in the next film or the one after.

We'll see more of Han Solo in Episode VIII. It will be via flashbacks.

We'll see the back story of Luke, Ben, and how Ben turned to the Dark Side and rebelled against his parents.

But it doesn't. Being built on an immobile planet how may worlds are really threatened? It seems pretty easy to defend against.

My 9yo son would like to know why anyone would essentially recreate a design that was easily destroyed twice already by small craft. I have no answer for him.

http://www.ridelust.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/ford-pinto.jpg

There were over 3 million Ford Pintos produced over a ten year run.

It performed within the mission parameters set for it marvelously. This immobile Death Star Planet not so much.

A Pinto didn't blow up every single time. Just occasionally.

Ford Pinto Design Team > Evil Empire Design Team

They kept producing that piece of shit. That's the point. A car "occasionally" blowing up is awful.

^^^ Sees the glass as half empty.

I'm not concern aboot resources or how long it would take to construct. They have the technology and likely slave labor or conscripts working the job. I just don't buy an immobile planet as a weapons platform that the known Galaxy should fear.

Dumb design is dumb.

The second one wasn't defeated by a design flaw, and the people from the first 2 aren't the same as for this one, which they thought would have the first strike capability to destroy the Resistance fleet (and they were largely right). Also, the 3rd's "flaw" was a necessity due to the nature of the weapon: everyone knows that you can't contain a star without a thermal oscillator! Duh!

So, I'll just tell him that evil is stupid? OK.

Try this: The Emperor and the Empire's greatest weakness was their overconfidence (Luke said so). The First Order, which is the remnant of the Empire, didn't learn a thing from their past mistakes. The commanders of the first Death Star boasted that it was the "ultimate" in weaponry.

"Ultimate" weapon...not in the sense of "greatest", but in the sense of the last weapons idea they'll ever generate? OK.

Evil is stubborn?

http://www.ridelust.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/ford-pinto.jpg

There were over 3 million Ford Pintos produced over a ten year run.

It performed within the mission parameters set for it marvelously. This immobile Death Star Planet not so much.

A Pinto didn't blow up every single time. Just occasionally.

Ford Pinto Design Team > Evil Empire Design Team

[thread killer]

When I was in high school, one of my classmates went to Arizona on a family vacation. A semi rear-ended their Ford Pinto station wagon and hit the gas tank. It exploded and my friend, his sister and parents were incinerated. The funeral had four closed caskets.

I'm rather biased against Ford Pintos.

[/thread killer] :eh:

The second one wasn't defeated by a design flaw, and the people from the first 2 aren't the same as for this one, which they thought would have the first strike capability to destroy the Resistance fleet (and they were largely right). Also, the 3rd's "flaw" was a necessity due to the nature of the weapon: everyone knows that you can't contain a star without a thermal oscillator! Duh!

So, I'll just tell him that evil is stupid? OK.

Try this: The Emperor and the Empire's greatest weakness was their overconfidence (Luke said so). The First Order, which is the remnant of the Empire, didn't learn a thing from their past mistakes. The commanders of the first Death Star boasted that it was the "ultimate" in weaponry.

"Ultimate" weapon...not in the sense of "greatest", but in the sense of the last weapons idea they'll ever generate? OK.

Evil is stubborn?

In this case, very stubborn. The Empire's arrogance was pathological. They saw themselves as all-powerful.

The one commander warned against dismissing the Rebel Alliance as an insignificant threat to the Death Star. He knew that the Rebels could find a weakness and exploit it, but the other commanders ignored him.

Palpatine himself led the Rebels to the location of the new Death Star, as he believed they had no chance whatsoever of defeating him. Hubris to the Nth degree!

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 1

Sorry...couldn't help myself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26J0uDIGErM