I wonder if Rush has a stockpile of unreleased live stuff

djflex

If they've been recording the soundboards for years, there's no excuse for not having a website where, for $10 a pop or so, one can download whatever show they wanted. Metallica's been doing this since the beginning of the 2004 'Madly in Anger' tour. I can think of 11 shows between 2007-2015 I would buy immediately if RUSH ever did this. I think almost any fan would want to buy the shows they've been to.

They also need to put out the full T4E Toronto DVD. They absolutely have it. (And, to a lesser extent, I wouldn't mind the Counterparts show that was pro-shot...Auburn Hills, maybe?)

If they do these two things, the boys and Ray will have all the wine, bass guitars, and Aston Martin Vanquishes they can handle.

Regardless of whether or not one likes the music, jam bands have been all over this for a while. The Widespread Panic business model for this is breathtaking. You can buy a single from any show, or complete shows in MP3, Lossless, HD-Audio or on CD. They also just launched an on demand app that gives on access to over 800 shows. http://www.livewidespreadpanic.com/

It will never cease to amaze me how much money that musicians and bands leave on the table.

• Like 2

Some of the bootlegs from the past 30/25 years are anything but inferior. There's one from the early nineties that I understand was recorded in the hope of it being an official release. Don't know why it wasn't, but it is excellent. There is, of course, the partial T4E tour video recently released. There's another excellent one from the VT tour as well as Oh Atlanta from the S&A tour. Edited by Lorraine

If they've been recording the soundboards for years, there's no excuse for not having a website where, for $10 a pop or so, one can download whatever show they wanted. Metallica's been doing this since the beginning of the 2004 'Madly in Anger' tour. I can think of 11 shows between 2007-2015 I would buy immediately if RUSH ever did this. I think almost any fan would want to buy the shows they've been to.

They also need to put out the full T4E Toronto DVD. They absolutely have it. (And, to a lesser extent, I wouldn't mind the Counterparts show that was pro-shot...Auburn Hills, maybe?)

If they do these two things, the boys and Ray will have all the wine, bass guitars, and Aston Martin Vanquishes they can handle.

Regardless of whether or not one likes the music, jam bands have been all over this for a while. The Widespread Panic business model for this is breathtaking. You can buy a single from any show, or complete shows in MP3, Lossless, HD-Audio or on CD. They also just launched an on demand app that gives on access to over 800 shows. http://www.livewidespreadpanic.com/

It will never cease to amaze me how much money that musicians and bands leave on the table.

Yeah, I was just talking about this in another thread a couple of days ago. The Black Crowes have done the same- hundreds upon hundreds of shows, going back to 1996 (and by the way- every single show they played had a different, unique set list ;) ).

www.liveblackcrowes.com

Edited by Blue J

Yes! I hope they do something like they did with the Grace Under Pressure Tour or disk 3 of Different Stages. I would love to hear something from the Hemispheres - Moving Pictures tours.

Me too.

It doesn't seem that far fetched. They would get me to buy it..

I would definitely buy Hemispheres or Permanent Waves tour albums since we already have Moving Pictures with Exit Stage Left.

I hope they will release the lot sooner or later, possibly not starting with the soundboard sourced bootlegs already around. Edited by geezer

I've heard the version of Mission w/a brass band

I know they have -

All or most of the LA Show at least audio (Losing It on Disc 3 R40 was from LA)

the rest of Test For Echo live in Toronto

I'd imagine that they have the entire Hartford show from Vapor Trails stashed somewhere on video - Between Sun & Moon was included on Beyond The Lighted Stage

Audio wise again, I'm almost positive that they have the rest of the stuff that was left off of Different Stages discs 1 & 2, a full Counterparts tour show, a full Power Windows show, a full GUP show, at least two more Vapor Trails shows, at least another Clockwork show on video, maybe the rest of Atlanta on Snakes... they could make a whole thing out of this stuff!

Edited by DistantEarlySignals
  • Like 1

I know they have -

I'd imagine that they have the entire Hartford show from Vapor Trails stashed somewhere on video - Between Sun & Moon was included on Beyond The Lighted Stage

Audio wise again, I'm almost positive that they have the rest of the stuff that was left off of Different Stages discs 1 & 2, a full Counterparts tour show, a full Power Windows show, a full GUP show, at least two more Vapor Trails shows, at least another Clockwork show on video, maybe the rest of Atlanta on Snakes... they could make a whole thing out of this stuff!

If you mean professional CA video, I do not believe that until I see it.

I know they have -

If you mean professional CA video, I do not believe that until I see it.

They do, the second night they filmed. It just won't be great voice wise...

I just remember several years back when everyone and their mother were releasing box sets, someone in an interview was asked when Rush was releasing one...and the response was pretty much box sets are like a retrospective, why would we release something now?

That said.. I DO know from different articles over the years that they have recorded a lot of live stuff..in fact the Permanent Waves tour was recorded for a live album, but they felt that had more to do before releasing that and decided to write and record MP...THEN they released ESL..but had some stuff from the prior tour...so as long as they've kept their recordings in a vault, I'd be willing to bet that live stuff will come out eventually...Maybe like Zappa's "You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore" set where there were odds and ends from different tours sitting around...

As far as unreleased music... They have famously said that there is nothing unreleased in the vault like that...they use parts and snippets of things in other music and nothing is unreleased....but that doesn't mean that there aren't alternate takes or mixes of stuff that they attempted, and decided to make into something different (i.e. Sir Gawain, there MAY be a version of that taped somewhere) Or rough mixes to take home at night, etc.

The other oddity is when most bands are recording, the engineer has a 1/4" or 1/2" tape running the whole time (DAT once those came int play) to capture stuff that is accidentally played and whomever is playing it doesn't remember...so they can go back and go "THAT!" There's always that possibility for odd things to surface.

It may take a little time, but there may be some things that eventually make it out. I'm leaning more towards live stuff, though..

• Like 1

I would love some live cd's from each era but a as long as they keep things to a minimum.I remember years ago walking into a shop and seeing a sea of Pearl Jam live cds and thinking thank God i'm not into that band i'd be poorer than what i am.Just imagine if they started releasing 200 cd box sets with 500 page books, new Hugh Syme artwork,t shirt, guitar pick,bobble head,etc.I would like to see a couple of multi disc(say 3 cd) shows from each era.I know most of us here are Rush fanatics and collect everything that is possible but do we want to get to the stage where we are scraping the barrel like poor old Hendrix and he was only around for three or four years.I remember the years of buying an album,say HYF and looking forward to the next live album,ASOH,and be focused on that.After Rio came all these other live releases and while they are great to have something was lost on me,a bit too much overkill perhaps.Just my little rant
  • Like 1

I would love some live cd's from each era but a as long as they keep things to a minimum.I remember years ago walking into a shop and seeing a sea of Pearl Jam live cds and thinking thank God i'm not into that band i'd be poorer than what i am.Just imagine if they started releasing 200 cd box sets with 500 page books, new Hugh Syme artwork,t shirt, guitar pick,bobble head,etc.I would like to see a couple of multi disc(say 3 cd) shows from each era.I know most of us here are Rush fanatics and collect everything that is possible but do we want to get to the stage where we are scraping the barrel like poor old Hendrix and he was only around for three or four years.I remember the years of buying an album,say HYF and looking forward to the next live album,ASOH,and be focused on that.After Rio came all these other live releases and while they are great to have something was lost on me,a bit too much overkill perhaps.Just my little rant

Can you imagine the serious Grateful Dead or King Crimson crowd! THOSE bands are releasing stuff at a KILLER rate! Granted...those bands change up their set lists throughout the course of a tour (GD especially) Rush at LEAST keeps it minimal! There's a LOT of GD stuff coming out at an alarming rate...the KC stuff has some cool live boxes from specific tours, but according to an online friend, the THRAK box that just came out wasn't worth it's salt except for maybe the video stuff. The audio was just a slight upgrade from the originals.

I'm not a big fan of the re-release of the old albums that are purported to be sound upgrades... I borrowed some of those "Sectors" boxes from a friend, and they weren't THAT different to my ears! Maybe if you have an over the top stereo system, and paid more than my last two cars for your speakers it makes a difference, but not on my trusty dusty old speakers! I'm glad they released the videos on DVD, and I picked up the R40 Blu-Ray box because it had a lot of oddities in it, but I won't be upgrading each time new technology comes out.

Edited by Jaminbenb
  • Like 1

Yeah i 'm a GD fan and got most of their studio albums and a number of live ones but I couldn't see myself getting everything.Same for Rush.Maybe if I was rolling in it,I don't know.I looking forward to getting R40 live this week,i've heard it on Spotify and seen some on You Tube but i don't want to hear or see every show from the tour.Or maybe I do.

Yeah i 'm a GD fan and got most of their studio albums and a number of live ones but I couldn't see myself getting everything.Same for Rush.Maybe if I was rolling in it,I don't know.I looking forward to getting R40 live this week,i've heard it on Spotify and seen some on You Tube but i don't want to hear or see every show from the tour.Or maybe I do.

I would like the ones i was at. At least the ones i was sure of

• Like 1

I hear you. Used to be every four albums and then a live release. Now it's a live release CD/DVD/Bluray with all the bells and whistles every tour and since their live sound hasn't really changed much since the mid '90s (and Geddy's voice getting weaker every tour), they all sound mostly the same to me. I didn't get R40 for that reason, I can just punch up the songs I want to hear on Youtube, why pay for yet another version of Spirit/YYZ/TS/Working Man/2112, etc etc. It's too much, you're right.

Edited by jnoble

I hear you. Used to be every four albums and then a live release. Now it's a live release CD/DVD/Bluray with all the bells and whistles every tour and since their live sound hasn't really changed much since the mid '90s (and Geddy's voice getting weaker every tour), they all sound mostly the same to me. I didn't get R40 for that reason, I can just punch up the songs I want to hear on Youtube, why pay for yet another version of Spirit/YYZ/TS/Working Man/2112, etc etc. It's too much, you're right.

Yep.

That's why they needed to play different stuff - I usually don't "zone in" when Tom Sawyer, TSOR, Working Man, etc are on - I tend to really listen in to different, less played songs

Different story with Pearl Jam live sets. I have a few. Over the course of 75 concerts on a tour, you're unlikely to get an identical set list. Great for the fans!

Can you imagine the serious Grateful Dead or King Crimson crowd! THOSE bands are releasing stuff at a KILLER rate! Granted...those bands change up their set lists throughout the course of a tour (GD especially) Rush at LEAST keeps it minimal! There's a LOT of GD stuff coming out at an alarming rate...the KC stuff has some cool live boxes from specific tours, but according to an online friend, the THRAK box that just came out wasn't worth it's salt except for maybe the video stuff. The audio was just a slight upgrade from the originals.

I'm not a big fan of the re-release of the old albums that are purported to be sound upgrades... I borrowed some of those "Sectors" boxes from a friend, and they weren't THAT different to my ears! Maybe if you have an over the top stereo system, and paid more than my last two cars for your speakers it makes a difference, but not on my trusty dusty old speakers! I'm glad they released the videos on DVD, and I picked up the R40 Blu-Ray box because it had a lot of oddities in it, but I won't be upgrading each time new technology comes out.

King Crimson has been killing me for a while now......