33 Years as a Proud Rush Fan

Scooch

This is a long post, I know. I found myself with some downtime today and I had Rush on the brain. Below is (believe it or not) a summarization of my experience as a Rush fan.

I have been a Rush fan since I was 14, in 1982 when Signals came out. Before then I had heard Rush on the radio (mostly Tom Sawyer, The Spirit of Radio and Freewill), and I liked what I heard but never thought to pursue who they were until my best friend got into them. For me as a 14 year old kid, who really wasn’t into any type of scene, the lyrics to Subdivisions truly “spoke to me”. As clichéd as that sounds, it was as if this song found the words to what I was feeling at that time. My friend and I had a blast discovering Rush together. We both started with Signals, but after that we coordinate who got what album – I bought Moving Pictures when he bought AFTK. After listening to them, we would give each other our review of that album and then switch. Over the course of a few months (from Oct ’82 thru March of ’83) we had collected and gotten to know every Rush album to that point. This is one of my fondest high school memories!

As my high school years marched on I passionately look forward to each release – Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows were the 2 albums that came out while I was in high school. As much as I was fan of their 70’s music (Hemispheres being one of my all-time favorites) I thoroughly enjoyed their mid-80’s output as well. Many of my friends at the time complained how Rush had lost their edge, and they weren’t rocking out anymore – but I thought these albums showcased their growing abilities as musicians and arrangers. For me Power Windows and Hold Your Fire rock just as much as Moving Pictures or A Farewell to Kings. The playing on PW and HYF is dynamic, the writing is passionate, the production and compositions are carefully thought out – and I think the vocals on HYF are some of Geddy Lee’s best. Also, the lyrics to songs like Grand Designs, Emotion Detector and Kid Gloves resonated with me.

During the 80’s Rush didn’t release concert videos like they do today. When my family got a VCR for Christmas one year, I spent hours going from one video store to another searching for Exit… Stage Left. I had the live album, I’d seen the 2 or 3 videos they played on MTV but I had never seen the actual concert video until 1985. When I did rent it, I made a night of it. I bought my favorite meal and snacks, and watched Exit… Stage Left while blissfully munching on Doritos and drinking Mountain Dew. 30 years later I still fondly recall this simple yet enjoyable evening! (As a side note, I did end up owning the concert video as one afternoon I was helping my father load a large chest he had acquired from a friend and noticed he had a copy of it. When I mentioned it, he gave it to me stating he wasn’t sure how he ended up having it LOL). My first Rush show was on the Power Windows tour in December 1985 in Hartford, CT. For any of you hardcore fans, this is the show Rush has mentioned as being one of their worst. I read somewhere things went so badly for the band that afterwards they were so mad they were actually throwing a fit. I did notice some mis-timings but it didn’t take away from my enjoyment of the show.

In my early adult years I continued to be a fan, but it was during the Presto and Roll the Bones era that my passion took a bit of a dip. I’m not one to complain, and I certainly don’t mean for this post to criticize, but I found these 2 albums to be somewhat boring. Some of the songs have grown on me since then, and the writing in many spots throughout these albums is strong, but for me the production lacks the dynamics I had come to expect from Rush. I thought their new sound lacked the bottom end of Geddy Lee’s bass and Neil Peart’s drums were pushed too low in the mix. In hindsight I now understand the direction they were going in, but to this day all I have to say about this phase is “it’s not for me”. I’m not saying it’s bad or it’s a low point in Rush’s history. I simply do not connect with this particular time – I will say I can still hear the passion in their playing, and there is still the same level of craftsmanship going into these 2 albums. One of the things I love about the internet and forums such as this one is reading how an album like Presto, that I had originally dismissed, is someone else’s favorite. When I see someone praising Presto I find myself more drawn to reading that review than I do of an album I personally love. It’s by reading these perspectives I’ve come to love songs such as The Pass.

My passion for Rush was reignited with 1993’s Counterparts. From the very beginning of the album I could tell I was in for a treat. I listened to Counterparts for months, joyous over the return to their “organic” sound. My second Rush show was on this tour – in May of 1994. As if the album wasn’t enough to reignite things for me, I was blown away by Rush’s performance. Plus the set list contained many older cuts which had me listening to their back catalogue for months on end. Up to this point, I was listening to Rush here and there. But from 1994 until even today I now listen to Rush regularly – and not just their most recent music, all of it. One of the great things about a smartphone is being able to play music from it, so I have all of Rush’s albums literally in my pocket at all times. 1996’s Test for Echo continued where Counterparts left off. Again, I listened to Test for Echo for months on end, completely blown away at how good the album sounded (to this day I think this is their best mixed album). The tour in support of this album was the first one to have no opening act – and wow, what a set list! One of my favorite shows by them was the one I caught in November 1996.

After the tragedies that struck the band in the late 90’s I expected test For Echo to be their last album. So when I heard they were back together and recording I eagerly awaiting the release of 2002’s Vapor Trails, and happy to say was at their Hartford, CT show when they took the stage for the first time in 5 years. I think Vapor Trails is one of their most unique albums in their catalog – very outside their normal sound, but I’m still a fan of it. However, it’s one of those albums I have to be in the mood for… but when I am it really does “scratch that itch” in a way the other albums don’t. Even though it comes from a dark place, I enjoy the lyrics to songs such as Ghost Rider, How It Is and Sweet Miracle. This theme of coming out of the dark, back into the light after a huge, personal struggle was very inspiring. And I admire Neil Peart’s ability to communicate this without being specific to his own personal tragedy. He writes these songs in such a way that it has a universal meaning, allowing the listener to apply any of these songs to their own personal experience. And let’s not forget that amazing tour!

Snakes and Arrows has a very special meaning to me. It was on this tour I was fortunate enough to win a meet & greet. In addition to the meet & greet I also was allowed to be in the photo pit for the first 3 songs of their show. Meeting Alex Lifeson and Geddy Lee was an honor. I was towards the end of the line to meet them so I got to be in the room for a while and watched them repeatedly meet fans and pose for pictures. They were incredibly polite and respectful to each and every person. My friend who came with me, who is a giant music fan but didn’t know too much about Rush, said to me how amazed he was to see Rush treat their fans like they did. In his words “This is a band who REALLY appreciate their fans!” Oh yeah, the album! I translate this album as their most mature – it has a very refined sound. It’s almost laid back. It has a layered sound, and an acoustic feel to it. Thematically, I really enjoy it as well. I like the lyrics, especially the ones for Faithless. It took some time for this one to grow on me, but I’m glad I let it as it’s an incredible album from start to finish. I saw them twice on this tour – first time with my friend and the second time was my son’s first Rush show. Since then he has come to every show with me – WILLINGLY! He has seen them a total of 4 times.

From the moment I first heard it, Clockwork Angels blew me away. Also, this was the first Rush album I bought on vinyl since Hold Your Fire (since then I’ve picked up the Vapor Trails Remix album on vinyl as well). I’ve never really been of the mindset that Rush needs to get back to how they played back in their “classic period”. I’ve enjoyed the ride and with very few exceptions I dig where they take us with each album. But Clockwork Angels is a perfect combination of that vintage-Rush sound, but incorporates enough new influence to make it it’s own thing. A band at this stage in the game normally don’t turn in albums such as this. The playing isn’t just passionate, it’s fierce. They sound like a group of guys in their 20’s. It’s inspired, focused… an album with a purpose, and I have not enjoyed a Rush album this much in over 20 years. I realize it may not be everyone’s thing, and I’ve read reviews that bring up very good points, but for me this is a true winner. As I mentioned earlier, I’m a fan of their mid-80’s stuff so the Clockwork Angels was a true treat for me being seeing first half of the set list was heavy with their mid-80’s material and the 2nd set was focused on their latest album.

The last show I saw in June of 2015 was incredible. The set list contained something for everyone and was a great representation of their albums, and they performed exceptionally well! I can respect where they are coming from with this stage in their career. To be honest I feel like everything post Test For Echo has been an extra as I really thought they were done after their tragedies in 97 and 98. But if they go out with Clockwork Angels as their last album and this tour as their last, I can’t ask for much more. If they do a show in my area I will go, and if they put an EP of, say, 6 songs I’d be all over it. But if they called it a career right now, I’m still a happy fan, grateful for everything they have done. They truly made a career on their own terms, making music they enjoyed while at the same time giving fans their fair share. They have consistently put out great albums and toured relentlessly behind each one. It’s funny how Rush fans never really cared if our boys were ever inducted into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame or on the cover of Rolling Stone. Actually, non-Rush fans seemed more concerned about that. Most of these conversations were with non-Rush fans asking “So how do you feel about your favorite band isn’t in the RNRHoF?”. My own personal view is, stick around long enough and most bands will get in anyway. And my feelings about the RS cover – I grew up reading reviews in RS when I was in high school, giving albums like Grace Under Pressure or Power Windows 2 stars. And most of the reviews were something like “Neil Peart drums his a** off, while Geddy Lee sings through his nose”, leading me to wonder if anyone over there ever listened to the album. I have nothing against RS, but clearly they didn’t get Rush so why would I want them on the cover of that magazine. Yet here I am today and both of those things have happened – which is great. Any accolade they get, they deserve. But if that recognition was taken away I can honestly say it doesn’t change a thing for me as to how I feel as a proud Rush fan. So for them to get that recognition is a bonus – but takeaway that bonus, not a thing changes for me.

Edited by Scooch
  • Like 10

Very nice post (albeit rather difficult to read). I agree with you on that mid-'80s stuff. Totally underrated, and the Clockwork Angels Tour was great, getting to see some of that stuff live. And this is coming from someone who only discovered Rush about 5 years ago. :)

This is a long post, I know. I found myself with some downtime today and I had Rush on the brain. Below is (believe it or not) a summarization of my experience as a Rush fan.

I have been a Rush fan since I was 14, in 1982 when Signals came out. Before then I had heard Rush on the radio (mostly Tom Sawyer, The Spirit of Radio and Freewill), and I liked what I heard but never thought to pursue who they were until my best friend got into them. For me as a 14 year old kid, who really wasn’t into any type of scene, the lyrics to Subdivisions truly “spoke to me”. As clichéd as that sounds, it was as if this song found the words to what I was feeling at that time. My friend and I had a blast discovering Rush together. We both started with Signals, but after that we coordinate who got what album – I bought Moving Pictures when he bought AFTK. After listening to them, we would give each other our review of that album and then switch. Over the course of a few months (from Oct ’82 thru March of ’83) we had collected and gotten to know every Rush album to that point. This is one of my fondest high school memories!

As my high school years marched on I passionately look forward to each release – Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows were the 2 albums that came out while I was in high school. As much as I was fan of their 70’s music (Hemispheres being one of my all-time favorites) I thoroughly enjoyed their mid-80’s output as well. Many of my friends at the time complained how Rush had lost their edge, and they weren’t rocking out anymore – but I thought these albums showcased their growing abilities as musicians and arrangers. For me Power Windows and Hold Your Fire rock just as much as Moving Pictures or A Farewell to Kings. The playing on PW and HYF is dynamic, the writing is passionate, the production and compositions are carefully thought out – and I think the vocals on HYF are some of Geddy Lee’s best. Also, the lyrics to songs like Grand Designs, Emotion Detector and Kid Gloves resonated with me.

During the 80’s Rush didn’t release concert videos like they do today. When my family got a VCR for Christmas one year, I spent hours going from one video store to another searching for Exit… Stage Left. I had the live album, I’d seen the 2 or 3 videos they played on MTV but I had never seen the actual concert video until 1985. When I did rent it, I made a night of it. I bought my favorite meal and snacks, and watched Exit… Stage Left while blissfully munching on Doritos and drinking Mountain Dew. 30 years later I still fondly recall this simple yet enjoyable evening! (As a side note, I did end up owning the concert video as one afternoon I was helping my father load a large chest he had acquired from a friend and noticed he had a copy of it. When I mentioned it, he gave it to me stating he wasn’t sure how he ended up having it LOL). My first Rush show was on the Power Windows tour in December 1985 in Hartford, CT. For any of you hardcore fans, this is the show Rush has mentioned as being one of their worst. I read somewhere things went so badly for the band that afterwards they were so mad they were actually throwing a fit. I did notice some mis-timings but it didn’t take away from my enjoyment of the show.

In my early adult years I continued to be a fan, but it was during the Presto and Roll the Bones era that my passion took a bit of a dip. I’m not one to complain, and I certainly don’t mean for this post to criticize, but I found these 2 albums to be somewhat boring. Some of the songs have grown on me since then, and the writing in many spots throughout these albums is strong, but for me the production lacks the dynamics I had come to expect from Rush. I thought their new sound lacked the bottom end of Geddy Lee’s bass and Neil Peart’s drums were pushed too low in the mix. In hindsight I now understand the direction they were going in, but to this day all I have to say about this phase is “it’s not for me”. I’m not saying it’s bad or it’s a low point in Rush’s history. I simply do not connect with this particular time – I will say I can still hear the passion in their playing, and there is still the same level of craftsmanship going into these 2 albums. One of the things I love about the internet and forums such as this one is reading how an album like Presto, that I had originally dismissed, is someone else’s favorite. When I see someone praising Presto I find myself more drawn to reading that review than I do of an album I personally love. It’s by reading these perspectives I’ve come to love songs such as The Pass.

My passion for Rush was reignited with 1993’s Counterparts. From the very beginning of the album I could tell I was in for a treat. I listened to Counterparts for months, joyous over the return to their “organic” sound. My second Rush show was on this tour – in May of 1994. As if the album wasn’t enough to reignite things for me, I was blown away by Rush’s performance. Plus the set list contained many older cuts which had me listening to their back catalogue for months on end. Up to this point, I was listening to Rush here and there. But from 1994 until even today I now listen to Rush regularly – and not just their most recent music, all of it. One of the great things about a smartphone is being able to play music from it, so I have all of Rush’s albums literally in my pocket at all times. 1996’s Test for Echo continued where Counterparts left off. Again, I listened to Test for Echo for months on end, completely blown away at how good the album sounded (to this day I think this is their best mixed album). The tour in support of this album was the first one to have no opening act – and wow, what a set list! One of my favorite shows by them was the one I caught in November 1996.

After the tragedies that struck the band in the late 90’s I expected test For Echo to be their last album. So when I heard they were back together and recording I eagerly awaiting the release of 2002’s Vapor Trails, and happy to say was at their Hartford, CT show when they took the stage for the first time in 5 years. I think Vapor Trails is one of their most unique albums in their catalog – very outside their normal sound, but I’m still a fan of it. However, it’s one of those albums I have to be in the mood for… but when I am it really does “scratch that itch” in a way the other albums don’t. Even though it comes from a dark place, I enjoy the lyrics to songs such as Ghost Rider, How It Is and Sweet Miracle. This theme of coming out of the dark, back into the light after a huge, personal struggle was very inspiring. And I admire Neil Peart’s ability to communicate this without being specific to his own personal tragedy. He writes these songs in such a way that it has a universal meaning, allowing the listener to apply any of these songs to their own personal experience. And let’s not forget that amazing tour!

Snakes and Arrows has a very special meaning to me. It was on this tour I was fortunate enough to win a meet & greet. In addition to the meet & greet I also was allowed to be in the photo pit for the first 3 songs of their show. Meeting Alex Lifeson and Geddy Lee was an honor. I was towards the end of the line to meet them so I got to be in the room for a while and watched them repeatedly meet fans and pose for pictures. They were incredibly polite and respectful to each and every person. My friend who came with me, who is a giant music fan but didn’t know too much about Rush, said to me how amazed he was to see Rush treat their fans like they did. In his words “This is a band who REALLY appreciate their fans!” Oh yeah, the album! I translate this album as their most mature – it has a very refined sound. It’s almost laid back. It has a layered sound, and an acoustic feel to it. Thematically, I really enjoy it as well. I like the lyrics, especially the ones for Faithless. It took some time for this one to grow on me, but I’m glad I let it as it’s an incredible album from start to finish. I saw them twice on this tour – first time with my friend and the second time was my son’s first Rush show. Since then he has come to every show with me – WILLINGLY! He has seen them a total of 4 times.

From the moment I first heard it, Clockwork Angels blew me away. Also, this was the first Rush album I bought on vinyl since Hold Your Fire (since then I’ve picked up the Vapor Trails Remix album on vinyl as well). I’ve never really been of the mindset that Rush needs to get back to how they played back in their “classic period”. I’ve enjoyed the ride and with very few exceptions I dig where they take us with each album. But Clockwork Angels is a perfect combination of that vintage-Rush sound, but incorporates enough new influence to make it it’s own thing. A band at this stage in the game normally don’t turn in albums such as this. The playing isn’t just passionate, it’s fierce. They sound like a group of guys in their 20’s. It’s inspired, focused… an album with a purpose, and I have not enjoyed a Rush album this much in over 20 years. I realize it may not be everyone’s thing, and I’ve read reviews that bring up very good points, but for me this is a true winner. As I mentioned earlier, I’m a fan of their mid-80’s stuff so the Clockwork Angels was a true treat for me being seeing first half of the set list was heavy with their mid-80’s material and the 2nd set was focused on their latest album.

The last show I saw in June of 2015 was incredible. The set list contained something for everyone and was a great representation of their albums, and they performed exceptionally well! I can respect where they are coming from with this stage in their career. To be honest I feel like everything post Test For Echo has been an extra as I really thought they were done after their tragedies in 97 and 98. But if they go out with Clockwork Angels as their last album and this tour as their last, I can’t ask for much more. If they do a show in my area I will go, and if they put an EP of, say, 6 songs I’d be all over it. But if they called it a career right now, I’m still a happy fan, grateful for everything they have done. They truly made a career on their own terms, making music they enjoyed while at the same time giving fans their fair share. They have consistently put out great albums and toured relentlessly behind each one. It’s funny how Rush fans never really cared if our boys were ever inducted into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame or on the cover of Rolling Stone. Actually, non-Rush fans seemed more concerned about that. Most of these conversations were with non-Rush fans asking “So how do you feel about your favorite band isn’t in the RNRHoF?”. My own personal view is, stick around long enough and most bands will get in anyway. And my feelings about the RS cover – I grew up reading reviews in RS when I was in high school, giving albums like Grace Under Pressure or Power Windows 2 stars. And most of the reviews were something like “Neil Peart drums his a** off, while Geddy Lee sings through his nose”, leading me to wonder if anyone over there ever listened to the album. I have nothing against RS, but clearly they didn’t get Rush so why would I want them on the cover of that magazine. Yet here I am today and both of those things have happened – which is great. Any accolade they get, they deserve. But if that recognition was taken away I can honestly say it doesn’t change a thing for me as to how I feel as a proud Rush fan. So for them to get that recognition is a bonus – but takeaway that bonus, not a thing changes for me.

• Like 6

33 years for me as well. I was 11 when I first heard New World Man and Tom Sawyer (thought they would be on the same lp). I feel the same way you do. I remember that dip around presto... CP brought me back as well. It's fantastic to be closing in on 45 and being able to look back at most of my conscious life as having Rush along for the ride.

Thank you for posting this. It's good to travel back in time.

• Like 3

Scooch, this is a nice piece of writing, and I connected to a lot of the things you said. I too had a close friend I sort of discovered the band with and saw my first shows with. We also hunted high and low for the Exit . . . Stage Left video. I'm with you, too, on losing a bit of interest, particularly with Roll the Bones, and then finding some relief with the heavier sound of Counterparts. Anyway . . . decent post!
  • Like 1

October of 2015 marked my 39th year as a Rush fan. When a friend said "check this out" and dropped the needle on "All The World's A Stage"!

"All right! Would you please welcome home . . . :rush: !" :haz:

I, too, was 14.

Edited by mandydog
  • Like 2

October of 2015 marked my 39th year as a Rush fan. When a friend said "check this out" and dropped the needle on "All The World's A Stage"!

"All right! Would you please welcome home . . . :rush: !" :haz:

I, too, was 14.

Yeah...pretty much my situation as well...I got "you're a drummer right? you need to hear this guy" and he played Working Man through to the end! (I was only 13)

• Like 2

Very nice post (albeit rather difficult to read). I agree with you on that mid-'80s stuff. Totally underrated, and the Clockwork Angels Tour was great, getting to see some of that stuff live.

Too small, too long but if he praised The Synth Era he is worthy of his bold 33 year claim. Welcome brother. The last thing we need around here is another 70's asshole with his head up his ass.

Edited by JohnRogers

Who has been a fan the longest here on TRF?

So far we have Eagle at #1 with 39 years.

Who here has her beat?

I'm sure there are some. Maybe Mr. JD or someone like that.