Is Terry Brown Above Criticism ?

Lucas

People like to talk about a sound dropoff with Signals. for me it was GUP. I'm sorry but.....that sounds pretty awful, IMO.

Mick

BOOOO!!!!!!

Just kidding... :P

But in all seriousness I think Grace was significantly better than Signals, but that's just my humble little opinion. :)

In my immodest opinion GUP had better songs, and better production, and better direction.

I feel like Narps getting all defensive, but I really LOVE Grace Under Pressure! To my ears, slating it is as blasphemous as my indifference to Hemispheres is to other fans.

(Amazing how we all love the same band for massively different reasons. How many bands have such universal adoration, but massively divisive releases?).

pretty much all bands with a deep and varied catalog really

The way I see things, Terry and Rush parted ways because Rush was headed into electronic territory and Terry didn't like it. Rush have since come back to being a prog power trio with minimal synths or keys, and I think Terry would be fine with working with them again. Plus, it's been so long, they'd definitely have to get used to working with each other again and there'd be plenty of surprises in the process. Rush should definitely ask Terry to produce their next record, should it come to fruition.

The way I see things, Terry and Rush parted ways because Rush was headed into electronic territory and Terry didn't like it. Rush have since come back to being a prog power trio with minimal synths or keys, and I think Terry would be fine with working with them again. Plus, it's been so long, they'd definitely have to get used to working with each other again and there'd be plenty of surprises in the process. Rush should definitely ask Terry to produce their next record, should it come to fruition.

What have they done in the last 30 years that's in the prog power trio area? Hard rock I would agree, but prog?

What have they done in the last 30 years that's in the prog power trio area? Hard rock I would agree, but prog?

CA. And perhaps small bits of S&A. CA definitely though.

I almost wrote that CA definitely wasn't prog at all but didn't. What do you consider prog about it? It all seems like straight ahead rock to me.

I almost wrote that CA definitely wasn't prog at all but didn't. What do you consider prog about it? It all seems like straight ahead rock to me.

Well, aside from the obvious concept element tying it to prog traditions, most of the songs are somewhat extended and include certain unusual sections or instrumental passages. It's certainly very hard rock as well,mane it's much more straightforward than traditional prog, but it goes further and deeper than, say, your average Foo Fighters record.

EDIT: maybe not most, but certainly many.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo

I thought I read that he was at the R40 party after the LA show.

I can not imagine they are not friends. And he more that deserves to celebrate along with Rush.

Who would think otherwise? I just thought to mention that he was at the party (or I remember someone on here mentioning he was there). It says a lot for the caliber of the person he is to show up for it. He's not petty, and he is able to let go of whatever may or may not have happened in the past.

Well, aside from the obvious concept element tying it to prog traditions, most of the songs are somewhat extended and include certain unusual sections or instrumental passages. It's certainly very hard rock as well,mane it's much more straightforward than traditional prog, but it goes further and deeper than, say, your average Foo Fighters record.

Yeah I suppose compared to a group like Foo Fighters or someone like AC/DC or Van Halen they might be considered more prog. But CA in the sense of prog elements really has the time signatures that vary a lot and the longer songs, but they'e always had that. I guess that's why they kind of stand out in the music world.

• Like 1

I thought I read that he was at the R40 party after the LA show.

I can not imagine they are not friends. And he more than deserves to celebrate along with Rush.

It's confirmed. Terry Brown was at the afterparty inside The Forum. My buddy got in and actually got his picture with him.

• Like 1

Yeah I suppose compared to a group like Foo Fighters or someone like AC/DC or Van Halen they might be considered more prog. But CA in the sense of prog elements really has the time signatures that vary a lot and the longer songs, but they'e always had that. I guess that's why they kind of stand out in the music world.

Rush will never be "prog" like they once were again, but I thought the middle jam section of "Caravan" alone was the most prog-like they'd sounded since MP. And there were other moments on CA too where it seemed like they were reconnecting with their old 'jammy' self (Alex especially). It was refreshing since there really hadn't been much on the previous several albums besides instrumentals that was very interesting, musically speaking. The creative arrangements that used to elevate the songs had become just a standard vehicle to deliver Neil's increasingly standard lyrics. CA began to restore the old balance, which is why another record would be great IF they go back to a decent producer. Maybe Botrill now that they have a good working relationship???

Rush will never be "prog" like they once were again, but I thought the middle jam section of "Caravan" alone was the most prog-like they'd sounded since MP. And there were other moments on CA too where it seemed like they were reconnecting with their old 'jammy' self (Alex especially). It was refreshing since there really hadn't been much on the previous several albums besides instrumentals that was very interesting, musically speaking. The creative arrangements that used to elevate the songs had become just a standard vehicle to deliver Neil's increasingly standard lyrics. CA began to restore the old balance, which is why another record would be great IF they go back to a decent producer. Maybe Botrill now that they have a good working relationship???

They need to quit adding layer upon layer of instruments. They sounded the best before they started doing that. They are so great as just a three-piece with tasteful synths thrown in just to fill out the sound (if at all).

Oh and stop clipping the master tracks.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 1

Rush doesn't like returning to past ways, always moving forward. Plus, they are trying to get a modern sound.

That's the point. Technology should go forward not backward. Bad production never equals a good product regardless of when it's created. If the other artists can put out great sounding albums today so could they. It just makes no sense.

• Like 1

Rush doesn't like returning to past ways, always moving forward. Plus, they are trying to get a modern sound.

That's the point. Technology should go forward not backward. Bad production never equals a good product regardless of when it's created. If the other artists can put out great sounding albums today so could they. It just makes no sense.

My point exactly!

Many decent sounding modern albums. There is no excuse for CA sounding the way it does!

• Like 1

WTF? Terry Brown is a GENIUS. RUSH dumped him to sound better?

Absolute BULLSHIT.

You people call yourselves Rush fans?

For the first time since I joined this forum I am totally embarrassed being part of this group.

Some of you are saying that Collins Northfield and others are better than Terry Brown?

You guys and girls are the ones smoking crack, meth and Mary Jane.

No one touches Terrry Brown. You guys are nucking futs.

Nick ruined the Rush sound.

He even produced the second Ghost record. Same old shit.

TERRY BROWN IS A LEGEND!

Haters have no clue.

I'm done here.

Unless one of you wannabe Rush Fans want to argue with me.

Let's go!

• Like 2

My point exactly!

Many decent sounding modern albums. There is no excuse for CA sounding the way it does!

I think it could sound better but they seem to like it or they wouldn't keep trying to get the sound they e had lately. I think they believe it is modern sounding.

Absolute BULLSHIT.

For the first time since I joined this forum I am totally embarrassed being part of this group.

Some of you are saying that Collins Northfield and others are better than Terry Brown?

TERRY BROWN IS A LEGEND!

Haters have no clue.

I'm done here.

Let's go!

I'll give it a go. Rush seems to want this sound or they wouldn't be working with the people they've chosen and getting this sound. They aren't being pressured to release albums in a shirt period of time and then embark on long pre scheduled tours that can't be delayed. They can afford to spend a bit more time fine tuning the sound they are getting. Regardless of our opinions, I'm convinced the CA sound is exactly what they (geddy) want(s).

Above criticism? With regards to Rush, yes. Until Signals, those albums were flawless, and Signals wasn't his fault.
  • Like 1

Above criticism? With regards to Rush, yes. Until Signals, those albums were flawless, and Signals wasn't his fault.

Are they flawless because of the quality of the production or the quality of the songwriting?

Let me ask you a question my fellow Wire fan - who is more responsible for their respective band's success - Mike Thorne or Terry Brown?

Absolute BULLSHIT.

TERRY BROWN IS A LEGEND!

Haters have no clue.

I'm done here.

Let's go!

I'll give it a go. Rush seems to want this sound or they wouldn't be working with the people they've chosen and getting this sound. They aren't being pressured to release albums in a shirt period of time and then embark on long pre scheduled tours that can't be delayed. They can afford to spend a bit more time fine tuning the sound they are getting. Regardless of our opinions, I'm convinced the CA sound is exactly what they (geddy) want(s).

"Rush seems to want this sound." Absolutely true, that's the scary part.

Rush has said over the synth era and later years they are searching for a "sophisticated sound" which is exactly what makes it inferior.

The early material is them from their heart instinctually playing their hearts out. Listeners can hear the passion inherent in the music. That's what makes 2112 2112 ;)

The later material is about Rush trying to sound "different" or that is just not them at their best.Despite what the band says (the words "that is not Rush" have never been uttered)...

CA had plenty of quality songs, but it sounds like they are trying too hard to flood the material with gigunda amounts of sound. What's missing is the base track passion of the earlier material.

I like the synths era alot(because they wrote many quality songs in that era) ...but when one of the greatest bass players of all time plays the keys instead, needing color coded dots in order to do so, and relegates one of the best lead guitarists of all time to background sounds, something significant is amiss.

Terry Brown Rules!

• Like 1