Is Terry Brown Above Criticism ?

Lucas

Rush went downhill when Broon left. But, nobody is above criticism.

70s Rush is the perfect blend of hard rock, prog and youthful exuberance. And the synths are in the background where they belong!

CoS 4eva!

Let's see, we can listen to one of the greatest bass players play bass, or listen to him muddle thru the synths with the color coded dots to help him play the keys.

Lucas, thanks for mentioning Universe Divided, cranking it now!

• Like 1

Nah, he isn't above criticism.

He did a lot of good work, don't get me wrong, but I feel like he slipped up sometimes, like with Signals and parts of 2112 and A Farewell To Kings. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

Sure, Ezrin's resume is undeniable. But who knows what would've happened if he had been working with Rush? Their evolution might've taken a different turn had he been involved at some point in the 70s. Without all those successive Brown-produced albums, Moving Pictures might've been something different or possibly not at all.

http://www.likecool.com/Gear/Pic/evolution%20of%20man/evolution-of-man.jpg

Blaze!

You make me feel very happy now.

So happy that Ezin didn't touch any Rush music.

I support Terry Brown FOREVER!

All other producers for RUSH ARE FUCKKING WEAK! JMO

TERRY HAD BALLS!! THESE OTHER WIMPS WANTED GLOSS AND SYNTHETIC SYNTH SHITE!

Ezrin? As in Bob Ezrin? Didn't he produce some Alice Cooper albums?

Yeah he did.

Thought so. :)

And.... I've just spotted that bit in the original post..! :facepalm:

Signals sucks. And Hemispheres could have been a lot more interesting.

Moron :facepalm:

I disagree with him about Hemispheres but Signals really left something to be desired with me too.

Hemispheres was one of their greatest studio albums!

Signals WAS missing something...I liked most of the songs, the production lacked a bit...especially after the killer that Moving Pictures was... It almost seemed like some of the tunes were leftovers...and they rehashed some riffs and stuff to make up the album..

• Like 3

Moron :facepalm:

I disagree with him about Hemispheres but Signals really left something to be desired with me too.

Hemispheres was one of their greatest studio albums!

Signals WAS missing something...I liked most of the songs, the production lacked a bit...especially after the killer that Moving Pictures was... It almost seemed like some of the tunes were leftovers...and they rehashed some riffs and stuff to make up the album..

Hemispheres is one of their greatest albums! I think it's perfect! It's my 2nd favorite. However, Signals is pretty meh to me as a whole, and not just because it followed Moving Pictures which I happen to like but it's a little overrated in my opinion.

• Like 1

Let's be truthful........no matter WHAT they did after MP it was going to been seen as lacking. why........it followed MP

Mick

That's not actually true. Plenty on TRF believe any number of post-MP albums are NOT lacking. Plenty here believe there are many albums POST-MP that are better than it.

• Like 1

Let's be truthful........no matter WHAT they did after MP it was going to been seen as lacking. why........it followed MP

Mick

That's not actually true. Plenty on TRF believe any number of post-MP albums are NOT lacking. Plenty here believe there are many albums POST-MP that are better than it.

I would say this is true of Clockwork Angels, Snakes and Arrows, Vapor Trails, Test for Echo, and Counterparts.

Post MP albums that are better? INCONCEIVABLE!

yea you agree.......Signals is WAY better then MP :P :D

Mick

Signals is OK. Not a bad album, not a great album. I have thought of one album better than MP: Hold Your Fire.
  • Like 1

At 47 years young I can't understand thiis.

It is what it is.

Terry Brown will always be number one for me.

Signed,

Broon's Bane

Is that a YES, he is above criticism ?

Earl, don't you think that a different perspective - even if for one album - might have been good, if for nothing else, just a change ?

And he should have put his foot down and said NO to I Think I'm Going Bald ..

Lucas!

Terry Brown deserved NO criticism!! HE RULES! To me is he PERFECT in the Production Protocol Of Progressive Perfection!

To me "Caress Of Steel" is a perfect record. It's bloody brilliant!

Many on here know this.

I find it totally ironic that Shit Corporate Crap Mercury was going to drop the band from the label. This has NOTHING to do with Terry.

I am a broken record on here but fukk it man it's all good. I will die by the sword of all things RUSH because I actually have confidence and swagger.

I roll my hips like Mick Jagger!

"I Think I'm Going Bald" is pure punny homage to another band I adore like you called KISS!!!!

KISS Wrote "Goin' Blind" so Rush counteracted with "I Think I'm Going Blind." It's pure class and comedy all in one.

People who hate "I Think I'm Going Bald" need to stop masturbating because I think they have hairy hands and palms and are truly the ones going blind by their ears.

The riff by Alex is absolutely killer.

The guitar solo is EPIC!

i will never understand the stink eye for the "Caress Of Steel" album. Perhaps if the average Rush fan renamed the record "Caress My Steel" they would love it more.

They could love it more like "FEEL MY STEEL."

Yours Truly,

CARESS OF STEEL PANTHER

There was a song floating around the Rush catalog at the time that would have fit perfect on Caress Of Steel - a song that was CRIMINIALLY never recorded by the band in the studio:

Garden Road

It should have been on one of those early albums - Brown is partly to blame

It is a travesty that we will never know what that song could have been ... At least record it, even if it doesn't end up on the album

And I think Ezrin would have hit it off big time with Neil

Those tubular bells would have come out a lot sooner - the studio 2112 would have been incredible with them ... Something For Nothing is amazing on Disc 3 of Different Stages, with Neil and the bells

Always happy to read posts about this producer-genius--crisp sonics, great separation and balance, sparkling energy. More content here if anyone is interested:

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/91225-t-brown-the-fourth-member-of-classic-rush/

You're a nut bag.

Anywho it's hard to wonder if Rush would have been better during a Brown break. Almost universally recognized is the band's best music was recorded with Brown.

• Like 2