Is Terry Brown Above Criticism ?

Lucas

Nobody else disappointed that Different Strings was cut short ??

Way too short

Permanent Waves was 35 minutes long - you could have fit 10 more minutes of music on there

Very much agree that the ending is abrupt ;) on Different strings. Good point that PeW was such a short album they definitely had "space for Alex" to have a Xanadu-esque outro solo that coulda woulda shoulda been epic.

• Like 1

People like to talk about a sound dropoff with Signals. for me it was GUP. I'm sorry but.....that sounds pretty awful, IMO.

Mick

BOOOO!!!!!!

Just kidding...:P

But in all seriousness I think Grace was significantly better than Signals, but that's just my humble little opinion. :)

• Like 2

People like to talk about a sound dropoff with Signals. for me it was GUP. I'm sorry but.....that sounds pretty awful, IMO.

Mick

BOOOO!!!!!!

Just kidding... :P

But in all seriousness I think Grace was significantly better than Signals, but that's just my humble little opinion. :)

hey we're all fans.....i don't mind.

But.........uh.......your wrong, lol :moon:

:laughing guy:

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

BOOOO!!!!!!

In my immodest opinion GUP had better songs, and better production, and better direction.

I feel like Narps getting all defensive, but I really LOVE Grace Under Pressure! To my ears, slating it is as blasphemous as my indifference to Hemispheres is to other fans.

(Amazing how we all love the same band for massively different reasons. How many bands have such universal adoration, but massively divisive releases?).

• Like 1

Mick

BOOOO!!!!!!

Mick

The reason ur butt is red raw is coz I spanked the nonsense outta ya!

At least, I tried, but you started singing Rosanna and I just gave up and joined in...

• Like 1

Let's hear some more humility.

:popcorn:

I am amazingly AMAZING in all the ways but out there someone else must come close.

• Like 1

Mick

BOOOO!!!!!!

Mick

I agree, you are wrong!

:cool:

P.S. I think you meant "You're wrong." Gotta love a good Grammar Nazi!

Edited by AnEggplant
  • Like 1

If Brown decided to write a book about his producer years with Rush, Max Webster, and others, I'd read it. He's worked with tons of artists, according to Wikipedia:

"Brown has also engineered, produced or mixed many other artists, including Jimi Hendrix, Sonny and Cher, Kenny Rogers, Traffic, Joe Cocker, The Who, The Dave Clark Five, Rush, Procol Harum, The Troggs, The Moody Blues, The Small Faces, Manfred Mann, Marianne Faithfull, Spencer Davis Group, Donovan, Barbra Streisand, Blue Rodeo, Moist, Max Webster, Klaatu, Thundermug, Fates Warning, Lizzy Borden, Voivod, Ray Stevens, the Bonzo Dog Band, Motherlode, Dr. Music, April Wine, The Stampeders, Michel Pagliaro, Moe Koffman, Alannah Myles, B.B. Gabor, Cirque du Soleil, Dream Theater, Lawrence Gowan, Rough Trade, The Killjoys, FM, Toronto, Ian Thomas and Christmas.[2]

Brown is currently working with emerging Ottawa roots-rockers Ken Workman & The Union."

If Brown decided to write a book about his producer years with Rush, Max Webster, and others, I'd read it. He's worked with tons of artists, according to Wikipedia:

"Brown has also engineered, produced or mixed many other artists, including Jimi Hendrix, Sonny and Cher, Kenny Rogers, Traffic, Joe Cocker, The Who, The Dave Clark Five, Rush, Procol Harum, The Troggs, The Moody Blues, The Small Faces, Manfred Mann, Marianne Faithfull, Spencer Davis Group, Donovan, Barbra Streisand, Blue Rodeo, Moist, Max Webster, Klaatu, Thundermug, Fates Warning, Lizzy Borden, Voivod, Ray Stevens, the Bonzo Dog Band, Motherlode, Dr. Music, April Wine, The Stampeders, Michel Pagliaro, Moe Koffman, Alannah Myles, B.B. Gabor, Cirque du Soleil, Dream Theater, Lawrence Gowan, Rough Trade, The Killjoys, FM, Toronto, Ian Thomas and Christmas.[2]

Brown is currently working with emerging Ottawa roots-rockers Ken Workman & The Union."

Terry Brown was the engineer on the 1972 Thundermug album " Strikes", fantastic album, I have the remastered release on Flawed Gems Records.

At 47 years young I can't understand thiis.

It is what it is.

Terry Brown will always be number one for me.

Signed,

Broon's Bane

Is that a YES, he is above criticism ?

Earl, don't you think that a different perspective - even if for one album - might have been good, if for nothing else, just a change ?

And he should have put his foot down and said NO to I Think I'm Going Bald ..

Lucas!

Terry Brown deserved NO criticism!! HE RULES! To me is he PERFECT in the Production Protocol Of Progressive Perfection!

To me "Caress Of Steel" is a perfect record. It's bloody brilliant!

Many on here know this.

I find it totally ironic that Shit Corporate Crap Mercury was going to drop the band from the label. This has NOTHING to do with Terry.

I am a broken record on here but fukk it man it's all good. I will die by the sword of all things RUSH because I actually have confidence and swagger.

I roll my hips like Mick Jagger!

"I Think I'm Going Bald" is pure punny homage to another band I adore like you called KISS!!!!

KISS Wrote "Goin' Blind" so Rush counteracted with "I Think I'm Going Blind." It's pure class and comedy all in one.

People who hate "I Think I'm Going Bald" need to stop masturbating because I think they have hairy hands and palms and are truly the ones going blind by their ears.

The riff by Alex is absolutely killer.

The guitar solo is EPIC!

i will never understand the stink eye for the "Caress Of Steel" album. Perhaps if the average Rush fan renamed the record "Caress My Steel" they would love it more.

They could love it more like "FEEL MY STEEL."

Yours Truly,

CARESS OF STEEL PANTHER

There was a song floating around the Rush catalog at the time that would have fit perfect on Caress Of Steel - a song that was CRIMINIALLY never recorded by the band in the studio:

Garden Road

It should have been on one of those early albums - Brown is partly to blame

It is a travesty that we will never know what that song could have been ... At least record it, even if it doesn't end up on the album

Fair enough. I agree. "Garden Road" should have been on an earlier record.

• Like 1

Terry Brown was the engineer on the 1972 Thundermug album " Strikes", fantastic album, I have the remastered release on Flawed Gems Records.

I think they're the ones who do the kazoo solo?

it's gonna be so funny when i wind up liking Grace. Cause i'm just saying it'll happen, lol.

Mick

Narps earlier didn't take too well to a post I made regarding the debut...but it is true, with Rush, all it takes is a little time and the worst becomes the best!

No other band has proven to grow on me like Rush.

I used to hate these albums:

Fly By Night

Hemispheres

Permanent Waves

Signals

Grace Under Pressure

Power Windows

Counterparts

Vapor Trails

Snakes And Arrows

What do they all have in common?

THEY GREW ON ME, OFTEN AGAINST MY OWN WILL!

• Like 2

I have long considered Terry Brown the fourth member of RUSH, and have never really questioned what the band would have been without him .. Rush consistently made headway and created some fantastic cinematic albums during the time he spent with the band ..

But after reading a book about the making of KISS' album Destroyer, which chronicled the lengths Bob Ezrin went in transforming KISS in late 1975 / early 1976, I began to wonder what an album like 2112 ( for example ) would have been with a guy like Ezrin ..

Sometimes the "comfortable shoe" is not always conducive to bringing out the best in something, whether that be art, music, relationships, personal growth, etc

Staying with Ezrin for a minute - he had a big influence in transforming Alice Cooper, giving him an added dimension that his previous albums lacked ...Same with KISS ... and Ezrin's fingerprints are all over Pink Floyd's The Wall ..

Don't get me wrong - when the subject of 2112 is brought up, we are talking about one of the greatest albums ever ... But I think it could have been better ... Listening to the Universe Divided bootleg, the song is off the charts incredible - sure, that was 3 years later and the band had played it to death at that point - but how many times have we said "the live version of By Tor is so much better" or "the live version of In The End . . " etc etc

And I must add that I have always had an issue with Different Strings ending too soon - just as Alex gets going, the song ends ... And Permanent Waves clocks in at a miniscule 35 minutes - a full 10 minutes shorter than Caress Of Steel - the song could have gone much longer ..... And I can only imagine what Tears would have been under a guy like Bob Ezrin ...

One of my favorite bands of the 80s is Voivod - and Terry Brown killed them on Angel Rat

On the other hand, there are some magic moments on these albums ( Jacob's Ladder, Cygnus X-1 ) and once Terry Brown left the fold, the band, I feel, lost a huge part of their identity and signature sound ..

Even if it was for just one album, do you feel a little something more could have been brought out early on ?

I think voivod killed themselves by trying to emulate their prog rock heroes (rush, king crimson, etc) too much. angel rat's a pretty good album but voivod needs more metal in their sound

• Like 1

it's gonna be so funny when i wind up liking Grace. Cause i'm just saying it'll happen, lol.

Mick

Narps earlier didn't take too well to a post I made regarding the debut...but it is true, with Rush, all it takes is a little time and the worst becomes the best!

Fly By Night

Hemispheres

Permanent Waves

Signals

Grace Under Pressure

Power Windows

Counterparts

Vapor Trails

Snakes And Arrows

I will, however say it will NEVER happen with VT. as i can often never get past track 1. Ditto CA

It could happen with GUP.......cause i CAN listen to the whole album even through the boredom.

Mick

Mick

Fly By Night

Hemispheres

Permanent Waves

Signals

Grace Under Pressure

Power Windows

Counterparts

Vapor Trails

Snakes And Arrows

I will, however say it will NEVER happen with VT. as i can often never get past track 1. Ditto CA

It could happen with GUP.......cause i CAN listen to the whole album even through the boredom.

Mick

Yeah but you gave CA THREE 10/10's!

Still find it hard to understand how you can hate on an album with that much awesome!

Edited by Segue Myles

Mick

Fly By Night

Hemispheres

Permanent Waves

Signals

Grace Under Pressure

Power Windows

Counterparts

Vapor Trails

Snakes And Arrows

Mick

Yeah but you gave CA THREE 10/10's!

Still find it hard to understand how you can hate on an album with that much awesome!

Cause the production is REALLY Important........and Nick shithead took a big poo on that record.

or Rush did...........someone messed up.

or if the rest had been up to thoes 3.......i might have loved it anyway.

Alas.......it twas not to be.

Mick

• Like 2

At 47 years young I can't understand thiis.

It is what it is.

Terry Brown will always be number one for me.

Signed,

Broon's Bane

Is that a YES, he is above criticism ?

Earl, don't you think that a different perspective - even if for one album - might have been good, if for nothing else, just a change ?

And he should have put his foot down and said NO to I Think I'm Going Bald ..

Lucas!

Terry Brown deserved NO criticism!! HE RULES! To me is he PERFECT in the Production Protocol Of Progressive Perfection!

To me "Caress Of Steel" is a perfect record. It's bloody brilliant!

Many on here know this.

I find it totally ironic that Shit Corporate Crap Mercury was going to drop the band from the label. This has NOTHING to do with Terry.

I am a broken record on here but fukk it man it's all good. I will die by the sword of all things RUSH because I actually have confidence and swagger.

I roll my hips like Mick Jagger!

"I Think I'm Going Bald" is pure punny homage to another band I adore like you called KISS!!!!

KISS Wrote "Goin' Blind" so Rush counteracted with "I Think I'm Going Blind." It's pure class and comedy all in one.

People who hate "I Think I'm Going Bald" need to stop masturbating because I think they have hairy hands and palms and are truly the ones going blind by their ears.

The riff by Alex is absolutely killer.

The guitar solo is EPIC!

i will never understand the stink eye for the "Caress Of Steel" album. Perhaps if the average Rush fan renamed the record "Caress My Steel" they would love it more.

They could love it more like "FEEL MY STEEL."

Yours Truly,

CARESS OF STEEL PANTHER

The best part of itigb are the lyrics.