Is Terry Brown Above Criticism ?

Lucas

I'm for Rush bringing back Broon. forward thinking or not.........they need him.......badly.

Mick

Does Terry Brown's non-Rush track record really bear this out?

I don't get the Terry Brown lovefest.

IMO, the last thing that Rush would ever do is try to go backwards in time, recapture the past, or anything similar. They are always for moving forward. It won't matter how successful Brown has been with other bands.

I'm for Rush bringing back Broon. forward thinking or not.........they need him.......badly.

Mick

Because........IMO.......rush sounded way better with Terry then anyone else.

I'm an 80's synth Rush guy BTW.

Mick

• Like 3

There aren't many Moodies fans here, but they had a producer, Tony Clarke, who produced their first seven albums and walked out, along with Mike Pinder, during the production of their eighth album. They never sounded the same again.

i'm a fan and i agree.

As i said. i'm a total synth rush guy. but i will say those post Brown albums....imo.......do not sound the best. as much as i adore them.

Mick

• Like 2

Above critisism? No, no one is above some sort of criticism. Sorry Earl. There are plenty of moments on early Rush albums that scream of padding. Rivendell, Bald, the Fountain, side 2 of Kings and 1/4 of Cygnus Bk 2. There are certainly moments of fill on later albums but since they don't want to throw anything away they are stuck with their present format. I don't know if thats a reaction to the Broon produced albums but its not a great way of working. The albums Terry Brown produced however are however are all good albums. Each of artifcat of its time and products of considerable influence. Whatever happened with Signals can be traced backward and equaled in my mind to a child going away to college. The child needs to grow and expand and get away from its influence and embark on its own path. It should be allowed to stumble (P/g)but in order to grow it must right itself(PoW) and continue on its own maturation process.

There aren't many Moodies fans here, but they had a producer, Tony Clarke, who produced their first seven albums and walked out, along with Mike Pinder, during the production of their eighth album. They never sounded the same again.

: The Present" 1985, produced by Pip Williams, is an overlooked gem. Love this album.

Rush doesn't like returning to past ways, always moving forward. Plus, they are trying to get a modern sound.

That's the point. Technology should go forward not backward. Bad production never equals a good product regardless of when it's created. If the other artists can put out great sounding albums today so could they. It just makes no sense.

My point exactly!

Many decent sounding modern albums. There is no excuse for CA sounding the way it does!

I think it could sound better but they seem to like it or they wouldn't keep trying to get the sound they e had lately. I think they believe it is modern sounding.

I think they've got a hearing problem. :LOL:

Mick

IMO, the last thing that Rush would ever do is try to go backwards in time, recapture the past, or anything similar. They are always for moving forward. It won't matter how successful Brown has been with other bands.

There are well produced albums and crappy ones. The product speaks for itself.

WTF? Terry Brown is a GENIUS. RUSH dumped him to sound better?

Absolute BULLSHIT.

You people call yourselves Rush fans?

For the first time since I joined this forum I am totally embarrassed being part of this group.

Some of you are saying that Collins Northfield and others are better than Terry Brown?

You guys and girls are the ones smoking crack, meth and Mary Jane.

No one touches Terrry Brown. You guys are nucking futs.

Nick ruined the Rush sound.

He even produced the second Ghost record. Same old shit.

TERRY BROWN IS A LEGEND!

Haters have no clue.

I'm done here.

Unless one of you wannabe Rush Fans want to argue with me.

Let's go!

Yep, I agree.

The pairing of Terry Brown and RUSH was fantastic, and my intention was not to lessen the impact Terry had on the band ..

With that said, it would have been very interesting if Rush had done an album without him early on ..

Sometimes being comfortable and familiar is not the best thing for creating great art - music or otherwise .... I understand that the time between Caress Of Steel and 2112 was crucial, however, the parallels between this point and time for Rush and that same time for KISS are extremely similar, and when KISS brought in Bob Ezrin - who by all accounts thrives on pressure and creating something dramatic while making a statement - Ezrin pushed the band to a level that had not come close to - before or after ..

For anyone interested in what kind of impact a producer can have, I highly recommend this new book:

http://www.amazon.com/Shout-Out-Loud-Destroyer-American/dp/1617136182/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1448738496&sr=1-1&keywords=shout+it+out+loud

You do not have to be a KISS fan to appreciate and enjoy it ... After reading it, I really think that 2112 could have been better with Ezrin ...

edit:

ATTENTION EARL - get this book if you haven't already done so .. You'll love it

Edited by Lucas

I think they just like Nick because of his enthusiasm and energy but it's too bad the guy can't mix an album worth a crap.

Nick did a fair job on Snakes.........so i'm baffled with CA

Mick

Maybe because he was just getting to know them so he held back? Only thing I can figure.

• Like 1

I feel the same way about album producers as I do video editors. If I'm noticing what *they've* done to the finished product more than I am the actual artists or film subjects, there's a problem.

The best quality about Terry Brown was that he was smart enough to get out of the way and let Rush be Rush.

Edited by TexMike
  • Like 3

I feel the same way about album producers as I do video editors. If I'm noticing what *they've* done to the finished product more than I am the actual artists or film subjects, there's a problem.

The best quality about Terry Brown was that he was smart enough to get out of the way and let Rush be Rush.

I don't think that's true. After all, he didn't want to record Digital Man

Sometimes being comfortable and familiar is not the best thing for creating great art - music or otherwise .... I understand that the time between Caress Of Steel and 2112 was crucial, however, the parallels between this point and time for Rush and that same time for KISS are extremely similar, and when KISS brought in Bob Ezrin - who by all accounts thrives on pressure and creating something dramatic while making a statement - Ezrin pushed the band to a level that had not come close to - before or after ..

Not every KISS fan is thrilled with what Ezrin did for them. Give me the raw crunch of Alive era records over the overproduced and sanitized Destroyer any day.

You can have "Beth". I'll take "Parasite". ;)

• Like 2

Exactly! It was only when they started to deviate from what they did well that he had a problem with it.