Do you love JOURNEY?? Or do you think they suck??

treeduck

What do you think of JOURNEY?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Do you love JOURNEY? Or do you think they suck?

• I love all their stuff they're one of my absolute favourites!
    • They fuckking suck balls! I hate all their shit!
    • I only like the early years when they had prog sensibilities
    • I only like the Perry years 1978-83 (Raised on Radio doesn't count)
    • I love them now with their Asian YouTube kareoke star
    • Meh I just ignore them
    • I like one or two songs
    • I just like the Escape album
    • I like the one they did with Steve Augery
    • I only like the debut album

Are you guys intentionally ignoring my opinion that some of Journey's music is very good?

:no:

The Monkees were a manufactured band too. I just thought of that. i can say today what I would never have admitted in the late sixties - i think they had some very good songs.

I love the Monkees. And they tried and tried to break away from the constraints of the record company. They are still resentful for the record company holding them back from being a "real" band.

• Like 1

:musicnote: "Oh Hairy" :musicnote:, whoops! :unsure: I mean, :musicnote: "Oh Sherrie" :musicnote: Edited by librarian

I like most all of what Journey did up to frontiers--Love some of it--and really haven't paid attention to anything after that.

I've heard some of it. It's instantly forgettable. They are a band that has toured for years on their Steve Perry era songs. So sad their decline after they booted him out.

I like most all of what Journey did up to frontiers--Love some of it--and really haven't paid attention to anything after that.

I've heard some of it. It's instantly forgettable. They are a band that has toured for years on their Steve Perry era songs. So sad their decline after they booted him out.

And I have seen them with their new singer. They guy can sing and it was a pretty good show but I left without that feeling I had when I saw them with Perry. In their prime he brought the "wow" factor. Sorry to say it's gone.

• Like 2

And I have seen them with their new singer. They guy can sing and it was a pretty good show but I left without that feeling I had when I saw them with Perry. In their prime he brought the "wow" factor. Sorry to say it's gone.

Exactly. I've seen them live in concerts on tv he's like a little Steve Perry clone but without the charisma.

• Like 1

So has this thread inspired anyone into a Journey-fest??

Not really, but I rediscovered Captured. What a great live document. I love the sound and tone of it, really well captured.

Besides that, I still think the debut is their best work.

• Like 1

Journey are to boring to marathon.

I could happily make a playlist of the good stuff, but aside from Infinity I find it a struggle to enjoy a whole album.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

I could happily make a playlist of the good stuff, but aside from Infinity I find it a struggle to enjoy a whole album.

Captured

• Like 2

I find their radio hits are always the ones I skip. I used to love to listen to their albums with headphones. The production/mixing of their albums for the most part was very well done.

• Like 1

That would make a good thread - how much the music industry has changed in the past fifty years in terms of bands being "owned" by record companies.

This is an excellent topic

In the case of The Monkees, they had some fantastic songs, but this was because of backing and songwriters ..

Without that backing, it is doubtful any of the members would have done anything comparable

"Record Company" should not be considered a bad term .... In fact, most of the great bands that have had an effect on our lives probably would have never reached us had it not been for the backing and push of the companies

Edited by Lucas

That would make a good thread - how much the music industry has changed in the past fifty years in terms of bands being "owned" by record companies.

In the case of The Monkees, they had some fantastic songs, but this was because of backing and songwriters ..

Without that backing, it is doubtful any of the members would have done anything comparable

"Record Company" should not be considered a bad term .... In fact, most of the great bands that have had an effect on our lives probably would have never reached us had it not been for the backing and push of the companies

I don't agree about the Monkees. Remember, Nesmith and Tork were very capable musicians before joining the Monkees and they wrote a significant amount of Monkeees material. Nesmith went on to compile a very impressive solo career post-Monkees. He was very influential in defining what became country-rock.

And I like to point out that session musicians were the normal situation with a lot of 1960s material. Heck, Pet Sounds is considered by many the greatest album of all time and the actual members of the Beach Boys hardly played a note on the damn thing.

The Monkees get a bad rap.

• Like 2

I don't agree about the Monkees. Remember, Nesmith and Tork were very capable musicians before joining the Monkees and they wrote a significant amount of Monkeees material. Nesmith went on to compile a very impressive solo career post-Monkees. He was very influential in defining what became country-rock.

And I like to point out that session musicians were the normal situation with a lot of 1960s material. Heck, Pet Sounds is considered by many the greatest album of all time and the actual members of the Beach Boys hardly played a note on the damn thing.

The Monkees get a bad rap.

The Monkees recorded Headquarters. it was a labor of love and it bought them independence but at a cost.

Only 4 votes for suck balls?

Patience my friend! More sucky balls on the way for sure.

I would add 2 sucky balls of my own, but I'm only allowed one.

It's best to be economic in a case like that.

True dat. Can't spread myself too thin. Gotta save my sucky balls for other discussions.

Due to this thread I was inspired to pull out the Journey albums. I listened to Departure, Infinity, Evolution and Captured. While some of their catalog is a bit "light" especially on Evolution, it does rock. I paid more attention to the playing and it is pretty damn good stuff to me. It got me through house cleaning, grocery shopping, and cooking dinner quite nicely. :guitar: :NP:
  • Like 4