Do you love JOURNEY?? Or do you think they suck??

treeduck

What do you think of JOURNEY?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Do you love JOURNEY? Or do you think they suck?

• I love all their stuff they're one of my absolute favourites!
    • They fuckking suck balls! I hate all their shit!
    • I only like the early years when they had prog sensibilities
    • I only like the Perry years 1978-83 (Raised on Radio doesn't count)
    • I love them now with their Asian YouTube kareoke star
    • Meh I just ignore them
    • I like one or two songs
    • I just like the Escape album
    • I like the one they did with Steve Augery
    • I only like the debut album

I think that might be why Hatchetaxe&saw likes Stone In Love so much - some good guitar work in that song.

Pete likes it because it's the heaviest metal they ever produced and Pete is a mad metal monger if ever there was one!

:haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz:

• Like 2

Meh. Too poppy and I grew up at a time when journey was shoved down or up every available orifice all day and night with no lube through every radio possible.

I would say that Moving Pictures is every bit as commercial as any Journey album with Perry.

Odd you complain about a band being too poppy with MP as your avatar.

Meh. Too poppy and I grew up at a time when journey was shoved down or up every available orifice all day and night with no lube through every radio possible.

I would say that Moving Pictures is every bit as commercial as any Journey album with Perry.

Yeah, that's true about MP, but back when Journey was around w/ Steve Perry, that's all you heard on the radio. They never played Rush songs like that. Not even Limelight or Tom Sawyer.

• Like 2

Yeah, that's true about MP, but back when Journey was around w/ Steve Perry, that's all you heard on the radio. They never played Rush songs like that. Not even Limelight or Tom Sawyer.

Aaah...they weren't big in the UK so no one really knows them here it seems (aside from classic rock fans and now Glee fans).

I thought they were another under the radar band...

• Like 1

Srsly?

The lyrics to Tom Sawyer and Limelight...the two "hits" would have been completely out of place on any Perry era Journey album.

Not to mention the complexity of the music.

Aaah...they weren't big in the UK so no one really knows them here it seems (aside from classic rock fans and now Glee fans).

I thought they were another under the radar band...

Based on the AirPlay of each I'll have to disagree. From 79-83 they were probably the biggest band in the states on radio. It doesn't sound like long but when that is from age 13-17 it seems like forever at the time.

• Like 1

Srsly?

The lyrics to Tom Sawyer and Limelight...the two "hits" would have been completely out of place on any Perry era Journey album.

There's no middle of the road plonking piano playing either and no sickly sweet harmony vocals, and drippy lovey dovey lyrics.

• Like 3

Some of my favorite Perry era Journey songs are the lesser known "deep cuts".....

Winds of March

Patiently

Mother, Father

To name a few...I am sure there are more....

Edited by Xanadu

Some of my favorite Perry era Journey songs are the lesser known "deep cuts".....

Winds of March

Patiently

Mother, Father

To name a few...I am sure there are more....

Mother, Father is one of my favourites. As is all of Infinity.

• Like 2

The saving grace of Journey though is Schon and Smith. Perry can sing but he tries to bring too much Motown to the occasion and he often sounds like a melodic rock Donald Duck.

Overall they're good for the odd listen when you're in the mood for some Neal Schon pop tart rock. Here's a good example of that:

Srsly?

But how would anyone but a musician, or someone who had studied music, know that Rush songs were more musically complex?

Signed,

Ignorance Is Bliss

:angel:

• Like 1

Srsly?

But how would anyone but a musician, or someone who had studied music, know that Rush songs were more musically complex?

Signed,

Ignorance Is Bliss

:angel:

There's more notes for you to hear!

I'm a fan. Before I discovered prog rock I was into Led Zeppelin but I was also into bands like Styx, Foreigner, Asia and Journey. Their "Escape" album was one of the first albums I bought actually. So although I'm not really a hardcore fan I do have a soft spot for them for sure. I particularly like their seventies albums though(even the ones before Steve Perry joined).
  • Like 1

I have an emotional attachment to Escape since it was the album that I heard nonstop on the radio when I was in my first rehab, and the lyrics to the song Escape helped put my own situation in perspective back in 1981.

Yes, Escape was a great one at the time. I heard it described as "feel good" rock music, which at the time was welcome after the late 70's disco era.

• Like 2

None of those options applies to me.

I like both the early years and the Perry years. Just like.

Starting with Infinity, every album offer 2-4 great tracks for my tastes, with Departure a standout 6 songs I like pretty well.

Infinity: Lights, Feeling That Way/Anytime

Evolution: Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin', Just the Same Way

Departure: Any way You Want It, Walks Like A Lady, Someday Soon, Where Were You, Good Morning Girl, Stay Awhile

Escape: Don't Stop Believin', Stone In Love, Who's Crying Now?

Frontiers: Send Her My Love, Faithfully

Raised On Radio: Be Good to Yourself, I'll Be Alright Without You

As much as I hated it in high school, I can admit now that "Whiny" Steve's voice really was a great instrument.

None of those options applies to me.

I like both the early years and the Perry years. Just like.

Starting with Infinity, every album offer 2-4 great tracks for my tastes, with Departure a standout 6 songs I like pretty well.

Infinity: Lights, Feeling That Way/Anytime

Evolution: Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin', Just the Same Way

Departure: Any way You Want It, Walks Like A Lady, Someday Soon, Where Were You, Good Morning Girl, Stay Awhile

Escape: Don't Stop Believin', Stone In Love, Who's Crying Now?

Frontiers: Send Her My Love, Faithfully

Raised On Radio: Be Good to Yourself, I'll Be Alright Without You

As much as I hated it in high school, I can admit now that "Whiny" Steve's voice really was a great instrument.

I think Steve had the voice thing in common with Geddy as far as people either really liking it or totally disliking it. I found Steve's voice unique, in a good way, much like Geddy's voice.

• Like 4

I better get on the ball.

Who knew Steve Perry had a whiny voice? :unsure:

Anyone with "y" chromosome.

I think men felt threatened by the fact that women tended to love his voice. They couldn't compete. :LOL:

• Like 2