Do you love JOURNEY?? Or do you think they suck??

treeduck

What do you think of JOURNEY?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Do you love JOURNEY? Or do you think they suck?

• I love all their stuff they're one of my absolute favourites!
    • They fuckking suck balls! I hate all their shit!
    • I only like the early years when they had prog sensibilities
    • I only like the Perry years 1978-83 (Raised on Radio doesn't count)
    • I love them now with their Asian YouTube kareoke star
    • Meh I just ignore them
    • I like one or two songs
    • I just like the Escape album
    • I like the one they did with Steve Augery
    • I only like the debut album

Due to this thread I was inspired to pull out the Journey albums. I listened to Departure, Infinity, Evolution and Captured. While some of their catalog is a bit "light" especially on Evolution, it does rock. I paid more attention to the playing and it is pretty damn good stuff to me. It got me through house cleaning, grocery shopping, and cooking dinner quite nicely. :guitar: :NP:

I used to have all of those on vinyl but sold them many years ago. Never did buy them again on CD since they sounded so great that way. I guess I should fix that.

JOURNEY???

THIS THREAD RULES!!!!

Every REAL Journey fan loves the first three Journey albums WITHOUT Steve Perry!!!!!!!!! "Infinity" is ok but that's IT!!!!!

DUNBAR!!!!

I have yet to hear them. But I may have to check them out one of these days. :)

JOURNEY???

THIS THREAD RULES!!!!

Every REAL Journey fan loves the first three Journey albums WITHOUT Steve Perry!!!!!!!!! "Infinity" is ok but that's IT!!!!!

DUNBAR!!!!

Infinity first... :)
  • Like 1

JOURNEY???

THIS THREAD RULES!!!!

DUNBAR!!!!

I know Infinity backwards and forwards. :)

• Like 1

JOURNEY???

THIS THREAD RULES!!!!

DUNBAR!!!!

I know Infinity backwards and forwards. :)

Sorry as I am a bit out of sorts at the moment. Shutting up now... :blush:

The first three are very good but they are closer to jazz rock and prog rock. Starting with Infinity they became more of a pop rock band. I'm not a music snob though so I like a lot of their stuff. I do think infinity is very good but I seriously think fans of RUSH and other prog stuff really need to check out their first three(pre Perry) albums. Edited by New_World_Man

Well, they're playing the national anthem right now on Monday night football

Hey I missed that, was it any good?

Nah, vocalist sounded nothing like Steve perry and they looked confused and unrehearsed

Well, they're playing the national anthem right now on Monday night football

Hey I missed that, was it any good?

Nah, vocalist sounded nothing like Steve perry and they looked confused and unrehearsed

Hmmmm

I get the impression he is able to mimic perry on songs he's heard perry sing but either can't or doesn't the rest of the time. Not really a negative. He really didn't sound bad. Just didn't have anything unique about him either.

Meh. Too poppy and I grew up at a time when journey was shoved down or up every available orifice all day and night with no lube through every radio possible.

I would say that Moving Pictures is every bit as commercial as any Journey album with Perry.

Odd you complain about a band being too poppy with MP as your avatar.

Srsly?

The lyrics to Tom Sawyer and Limelight...the two "hits" would have been completely out of place on any Perry era Journey album.

Not to mention the complexity of the music.

There's no middle of the road plonking piano playing either and no sickly sweet harmony vocals, and drippy lovey dovey lyrics.

Peart may have written "Net boy net girl bla bla bla bla..." but no way in hell would he have ever written "walks like a lady, but she criiiiiiiiies like a little girl little girl". Ironically, I like Walks Like A Lady more than Virtuality. Shit, did I just say that? Actually, I don't care for either but if I HAD TO choose. :LOL:

Meh. Too poppy and I grew up at a time when journey was shoved down or up every available orifice all day and night with no lube through every radio possible.

I would say that Moving Pictures is every bit as commercial as any Journey album with Perry.

Srsly?

The lyrics to Tom Sawyer and Limelight...the two "hits" would have been completely out of place on any Perry era Journey album.

There's no middle of the road plonking piano playing either and no sickly sweet harmony vocals, and drippy lovey dovey lyrics.

Peart may have written "Net boy net girl bla bla bla bla..." but no way in hell would he have ever written "walks like a lady, but she criiiiiiiiies like a little girl little girl". Ironically, I like Walks Like A Lady more than Virtuality. Shit, did I just say that? Actually, I don't care for either but if I HAD TO choose. :LOL:

Imagine Steve Perry in Judas Priest? :eh:

Srsly?

Singing, singing for vengeance.... No, I can't imagine it.

Srsly?

Singing, singing for vengeance.... No, I can't imagine it.

:LOL:

I liked Journey best with Perry & Rolie on vocals. Escape was good stuff but just a little too pop for me.

• Like 1

None of those options applies to me.

I like both the early years and the perry years. Just like.

Me too!

Did you find this thread again through the "also tagged with" thing at the bottom of the Aerosmith thread, or is that just a coincidence, lol?

None of those options applies to me.

I like both the early years and the perry years. Just like.

Me too!

Did you find this thread again through the "also tagged with" thing at the bottom of the Aerosmith thread, or is that just a coincidence, lol?

No, it's just a coincidence.

Solid rock band, with great pop and melody, ripping guitar, soaring majestic vocals.

A really good band with a lot of great songs. I don’t love them.....but I do really like their stuff and I actually have been on a Journey kick lately and been listening to both their greatest hits vol 1 and 2 as well as the hits live record.

I need to check out the pre-Steve Perry stuff. I never have ventured into that phase of the band.

Raised On Radio get’s a ton of flack.....and I get it. Very glossy, thin pop. But there are a few gems on that album in Girl Can’t Help It, I’ll Be Alright Without You and the underrated The Eyes Of A Woman. Really slick pop on that record. Some sizzling vocal harmonies and Neil tearing it up on I’ll Be Alright Without You.

Shame they broke up. Real shame. But they were so big in 1983 after Frontiers.....I mean they even had a coin-up Video Game (remember that?) That played songs from Frontiers during each band members boards. It was hilarious. And yes I played the crap out of it.

Without Perry.....there is no Journey for me. Simple as that. Perry was the soul of the band. His vocals were one of a kind and quite frankly some of the best rock vocals I have ever heard in my life.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 2