Anyone else actually like Chemistry?

MeanMeanPride

This is a thread in defense of Chemistry. I love this tune!!! I love putting Signals on because I can just let the record go without skipping - the first 3 tracks especially are great! Plus, you get to hear Geddy say "ELECTRICITY!" Classic.

That's just me. I've noticed a lot of people ranking Chemistry as one of their least favorite songs from this era of Rush. I'd love to know you opinion on the matter!!

• Like 4

I like it. To my ears it's one of those Rush songs that hints at the guys having a musical sense of humor (TSOR and Red Lenses fit that bill, too). It's got a great guitar solo, to boot, and translated well live.
  • Like 1

Paging toymaker...

Not a real favourite of mine. It's okay, but not fantastic.

To JARG's point, though, it does have a very nice solo spot from Alex.

• Like 1

Absolutely love it. Signals is my favorite Rush album. I don't skip any of it. Virtually every Rush album has a song or two that is trendy to pick on. For some reason it's Chemistry, and to a lesser degree, Countdown, from Signals. I've never understood why. I've always guessed that Chemistry's stature simply suffers from following Subdivisions and The Analog Kid.
  • Like 2

Excellent song. Excellent album. Pretty much the last one in my view although Grace Under Pressure was very good. The rest since all pale in comparison for various reasons in my view. Not a view shared by all or many I realize...
  • Like 3

Excellent song. Excellent album. Pretty much the last one in my view although Grace Under Pressure was very good. The rest since all pale in comparison for various reasons in my view. Not a view shared by all or many I realize...

Agree completely with this statement.

• Like 1

Agree completely with this statement.

Us DC boys gotta stick together. Not sure of your age but if you are old like me then us old dudes gotta stick together too :LOL: ... :cheers:

Yeah, I love it. One of the best tunes on the album. It has a funky get down "attitude" kind of like the Permanent Waves section of Natural Science. The way Alex plays guitar or something.

I think most people who don't like the song typically blame it on the lyrics. But only Rush can do a song that talks about scientific stuff and rock out. Signals is almost a science textbook. But the song is obviously about relationships and the communication in them.

• Like 1

I like it fine, if there's a dog on that album it's the closer

There is a dog on the album. It's on the cover!

As far as Chemistry is concerned, this, Digital Man, and the rest of the album were all significant in my getting completely hooked on Rush in the early 80's. Signals was my first tour, and Chemistry is most definitely one of my favorites, as my user name might suggest!

• Like 4

Sure. I've got no problem with it.

Well that's a ringing endorsement... :LOL:

:LOL:

I would say just about the same. It's a decent song. I have no problem with it, either. :)

But there are five or six better songs on Signals, too, in my opinion.

• Like 2

This is a thread in defense of Chemistry. I love this tune!!! I love putting Signals on because I can just let the record go without skipping - the first 3 tracks especially are great! Plus, you get to hear Geddy say "ELECTRICITY!" Classic.

That's just me. I've noticed a lot of people ranking Chemistry as one of their least favorite songs from this era of Rush. I'd love to know you opinion on the matter!!

No defense needed with me, I dig the tune. The most flawed tune on Signals to me is Digital Man. It's got that one funky section which feels out of place.

• Like 1