One of the BEST songs of 70's Rush

DirkPrattLerxst

A Farewell To Kings is, alongside Bastille Day, my favourite Rush song of the decade! I think it is the best song on the album, and one of the reasons I adore that album so much! Xanadu actually doesn't come close, just to give you an idea how much I love it

Top five Rush songs:

Chain Lightning

Red Barchetta

A Farewell To Kings

Bastille Day

Open Secrets

• Like 1

That's a bucket list song for me. Too bad I'll almost certainly never hear it live. I guess I'll never be able to die.

We've discovered the key to immortality. And surprisingly it does not include drinking the milk of paradise.

• Like 1

That's a bucket list song for me.

I caught it on the Hemispheres tour. I had my binocular trained on Geddy during the intro, trying to see how he played the keyboard part. Flashpots when whole band comes in. I saw spots for the rest of the song.

• Like 4

Dope song. So many cool things about it:

-- Excellent "pastoral" intro.

-- Really hip effect from the way they drop out a beat from some of the measures in the big chordal opening figure. A great example of something Rush always did better than anyone else IMO, play oddball time signatures in a way that felt groovy and natural.

-- Insane drum fills, insane vocals, Alex's finest "major chords and more major chords, thank you" riff writing.

-- Love the jam under the guitar solo; an example of Rush playing a normal time signature with odd accents that feels funky and weird yet still totally grooves. If you think about it, this is a precursor to the instrumental section of Freewill... an oddly-accented 12/8 groove with an outside-y guitar solo...

-- And the breakdown into a more traditional rock beat for the second half of the instrumental break. So good.

-- I love when a band makes an effort to unify lyrical themes across an album... "Closer to the Heart" gets a namecheck here. Always thought that was neat.

• Like 1

-- Really hip effect from the way they drop out a beat from some of the measures in the big chordal opening figure. A great example of something Rush always did better than anyone else IMO, play oddball time signatures in a way that felt groovy and natural.

-- Insane drum fills, insane vocals, Alex's finest "major chords and more major chords, thank you" riff writing.

-- Love the jam under the guitar solo; an example of Rush playing a normal time signature with odd accents that feels funky and weird yet still totally grooves. If you think about it, this is a precursor to the instrumental section of Freewill... an oddly-accented 12/8 groove with an outside-y guitar solo...

-- And the breakdown into a more traditional rock beat for the second half of the instrumental break. So good.

-- I love when a band makes an effort to unify lyrical themes across an album... "Closer to the Heart" gets a namecheck here. Always thought that was neat.

How do you mean "normal" there?

How do you mean "normal" there?

In terms of pure note counts, it's in 12/8 (IIRC), as opposed to somethign like 5 or 7 or 13... they just accent the beats in a really wacky way that makes it funky and angular. I guess probably you would notate it as 5/8+7/8 or something like that.

I suppose I should have said "perverting a usually normal time signature."

Edited by AndroidOnTheRun

I will do whatever i can to convince the guys to do it in a possible next tour. I have my contacts. That would be a appropriate song for a farewell tour.

A Farewell to Kings. I've noticed it barely gets attention around here and I don't know why. It rocks hard!

AFTK is a wonderfully fantastic song. Its one of my all-time faves.

• Like 1

A Farewell to Kings. I've noticed it barely gets attention around here and I don't know why. It rocks hard!

AFTK is a wonderfully fantastic song. Its one of my all-time faves.

We agree on this? Then maybe it is time to revisit CA haha

• Like 1

Farewell to Kings is very good to me, but it's on an album that's strong with other songs. Cygnus, CTTH, and Xanadu are way higher up for me.