Should TRF uncensor "F*ck"?

Mr. Not

Should TRF uncensor "F*ck"?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Should TRF uncensor "F*ck"?

• Yes, having it censored is f*cking pointless
    • No, it's good to maintain this family-friendly effort as it helps set the tone for board behavior
    • Yes (other reason)
    • No (other reason)

I'm not offended by swearing, but I also don't want to say it/hear it/read it in every sentence, mostly because that is really boring. We've all heard those people whose every other word is "f**k" and listening to them is as about as interesting as someone whose every other word is "like."

I often walk away from my niece as she's speaking, because every other word out of her mouth is either "like" or "basically". It pisses her off when I walk away, but TOO BAD. Speak decent English, my dear, and then maybe I'll listen to you!

Why the hell would you do that?! She's your f***ing FAMILY. You shouldn't give a f**k how she speaks.

Why shouldn't he give a fu**?

Valley girl talk is fu***** up. :LOL:

I don't care if he hates that kind of talk or not, if there is one thing I learned as a human growing up, is that you NEVER turn your back on your family. I may do things that annoy my family, especially my mother, but no matter what happens, she is ALWAYS there for me.

You can disapprove of someones behavior by actively turning away from them and still be there for them. It's called setting boundaries. Not doing so is a disservice. If my niece is misbehaving and she won't listen, I walk away from her until she learns that bad behavior will push people away. I'm doing her a favor.

:goodone:

Well said. The last thing you want to do is show someone that their bad behaviour will get them results.

• Like 1

I'm not offended by swearing, but I also don't want to say it/hear it/read it in every sentence, mostly because that is really boring. We've all heard those people whose every other word is "f**k" and listening to them is as about as interesting as someone whose every other word is "like."

I often walk away from my niece as she's speaking, because every other word out of her mouth is either "like" or "basically". It pisses her off when I walk away, but TOO BAD. Speak decent English, my dear, and then maybe I'll listen to you!

Why the hell would you do that?! She's your f***ing FAMILY. You shouldn't give a f**k how she speaks.

I don't care if he hates that kind of talk or not, if there is one thing I learned as a human growing up, is that you NEVER turn your back on your family. I may do things that annoy my family, especially my mother, but no matter what happens, she is ALWAYS there for me.

You can disapprove of someones behavior by actively turning away from them and still be there for them. It's called setting boundaries. Not doing so is a disservice. If my niece is misbehaving and she won't listen, I walk away from her until she learns that bad behavior will push people away. I'm doing her a favor.

I will also say that there are times when you do turn your back on your family. Just because someone is related to you does not make them a good person. If you have a family member, even if it is a parent or a child, and they are abusive or otherwise intolerable then go ahead and leave them behind. No one needs to have abusive or hateful people in their life.

• Like 1

I think the F-word has become ubiquitous now and has lost a lot of the stigma. "C***" will never become acceptable to me though even though you hear it on the street and in pubs all the time. A contradiction from me, I guess that shows what is acceptable to one person is not to others.

Hence the censor.

Another thing is that we have Rush fans from 12 to 70 on this board and I firmly believe that to be as inclusive as possible the main Rush forum needs to be kept free of uncensored swear words. You wouldn't want some young fan being prevented from reading about his favourite band because his or her parents believe the site is unsuitable.

• Like 6

f**k isn't censored. You just have to be special to be allowed to use it.

Well done, but encrypted characters are what I'd classify as inconvenient :LOL:

I don't understand why anyone needs to resort to those words to express what they want to say anyway. Four hundred thousand words in the English language, there are...and I don't know how many words there are in German, Portuguese, Swedish, Finnish, and however many other languages there are that TRF members speak...and you're hung up on those four letters?

Expand your mind a bit. Seriously.

F♂CK Y♂U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNw4PwVYzSs

...the real question here is whether the censoring of f*ck shelters the young users here as well as promotes a friendlier board experience, or if it's just a futile measure and we'd be better off with it uncensored.

TRF was always meant to be family- and work-friendly. Not G-rated Disney friendly, but friendly enough that a young teen who got into Rush could come here and not feel out of place. That's the main reason for the word filters. We figured the adults who felt they needed to use such words (usually in service of a joke) would simply use the filtered versions and still get their f***ing point across. :)

Then there are the people who don't quite understand such a concept and need it explained to them, as Mr. Not ably demonstrates with this thread.

Lots of teenagers use that word. Including me. So there is no need to block it.

I don't understand why anyone needs to resort to those words to express what they want to say anyway. Four hundred thousand words in the English language, there are...and I don't know how many words there are in German, Portuguese, Swedish, Finnish, and however many other languages there are that TRF members speak...and you're hung up on those four letters?

F♂CK Y♂U

...the real question here is whether the censoring of f*ck shelters the young users here as well as promotes a friendlier board experience, or if it's just a futile measure and we'd be better off with it uncensored.

TRF was always meant to be family- and work-friendly. Not G-rated Disney friendly, but friendly enough that a young teen who got into Rush could come here and not feel out of place. That's the main reason for the word filters. We figured the adults who felt they needed to use such words (usually in service of a joke) would simply use the filtered versions and still get their f***ing point across. :)

Then there are the people who don't quite understand such a concept and need it explained to them, as Mr. Not ably demonstrates with this thread.

Brat.

• Like 2

F♂CK Y♂U

That's an opinion, and I understand it.

My take on it is I just don't understand why there are so many who feel a need to resort to language like that in order to express themselves.

I have two sons, 12 and 9, who have certainly heard language like that- my older told me just yesterday that he hears the F word so much among his schoolmates that it barely even registers with him anymore. And I think that's kind of sad. He doesn't use profanity at all. My kids don't hear me swear, and they will continue to not hear me swear.

Call me a proper snob, or old-fashioned, or whatever. It doesn't matter to me. My perception of this issue and other things like it, when it comes to protecting kids, is a result of virtually no restrictions at all being placed on my behavior or my habits by my own parents, when I was growing up. Kids need their parents to be parents, rather than just being people with whom they live.

Lots of different parents have lots of different opinions about lots of different things. Other people, I'm sure, disagree with me. And that's OK. :)

• Like 2

F♂CK Y♂U

My take on it is I just don't understand why there are so many who feel a need to resort to language like that in order to express themselves.

I have two sons, 12 and 9, who have certainly heard language like that- my older told me just yesterday that he hears the F word so much among his schoolmates that it barely even registers with him anymore. And I think that's kind of sad. He doesn't use profanity at all. My kids don't hear me swear, and they will continue to not hear me swear.

Call me a proper snob, or old-fashioned, or whatever. It doesn't matter to me. My perception of this issue and other things like it, when it comes to protecting kids, is a result of virtually no restrictions at all being placed on my behavior or my habits by my own parents, when I was growing up. Kids need their parents to be parents, rather than just being people with whom they live.

Lots of different parents have lots of different opinions about lots of different things. Other people, I'm sure, disagree with me. And that's OK. :)

When I was a teenager, my parents never heard me swear and I never heard them swear either. I don't know what they sounded like when I wasn't around but I know I was swearing tons around my friends. I didn't swear in front of them because I knew they didn't want me to do it. They would've been incorrect if they had told their pals, "Our son Johnny doesn't use profanity at all".

Clearly, I don't know what your kids do or don't do but I don't think you can assume too much when it concerns your kids' actions. No offense.

• Like 1

F♂CK Y♂U

When I was a teenager, my parents never heard me swear and I never heard them swear either. I don't know what they sounded like when I wasn't around but I know I was swearing tons around my friends. I didn't swear in front of them because I knew they didn't want me to do it. They would've been incorrect if they had told their pals, "Our son Johnny doesn't use profanity at all".

Clearly, I don't know what your kids do or don't do but I don't think you can assume too much when it concerns your kids' actions. No offense.

None taken. I understand that.

And you're right, I can't assume too much. That's another element of responsible parenting.

• Like 1

Joke- "AWWWWW f**k IT!" :LMAO: Edited by OldRUSHfan

I will also say that there are times when you do turn your back on your family. Just because someone is related to you does not make them a good person. If you have a family member, even if it is a parent or a child, and they are abusive or otherwise intolerable then go ahead and leave them behind. No one needs to have abusive or hateful people in their life.

Someone once told me that family is friends you haven't chosen yourself.

I grew up in a family where there was tension between my father his mother. So I never knew how it was to be in a big happy family. So I'm not hung up on the idea of family before anything else. "Family" is those who actively welcomes you into their lives and who you welcome back.

• Like 1

I can count on one hand the number of times I used it here. If I could have those posts deleted, I would.

Just because everyone is doing it doesn't make it right. I still think it isn't necessary to be so crude, but I do understand getting angry enough to do it.

Edited by Lorraine

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5xykgeA2g1qgyyx7o2_500.gif

Do you kiss your mother with that mouth? :P

Oh, HECK no! She died back in '08! :o

:banana:

F♂CK Y♂U

It's not that they feel the need to resort to using that kind of language. No one, except for maybe some middle school kids who are discovering the f word for the first time, are thinking "how many times can I say this word today?" The language just comes out instinctively once you've heard and said it enough yourself. More often than not, most adults aren't making a conscious effort to swear, it's just something that usually happens without thinking. At least that's my experience when it comes to that.

Obviously, people should be aware of their surroundings and know when to censor themselves. Unless it's been established that it's OK to use in the workplace, people need to watch what they say. I always make sure I don't let anything slip while talking to people at work. But i've also worked places where it didn't matter and nobody gave a second thought to saying f**k or whatever else some might consider bad words.

I think anytime the work f**k is typed it should be replaced by this picture. Problem solved...

http://fotos.fotoflexer.com/b7b0dc3d422fb7a77c08864a20629773.jpg

F♂CK Y♂U

It's not that they feel the need to resort to using that kind of language. No one, except for maybe some middle school kids who are discovering the f word for the first time, are thinking "how many times can I say this word today?" The language just comes out instinctively once you've heard and said it enough yourself. More often than not, most adults aren't making a conscious effort to swear, it's just something that usually happens without thinking. At least that's my experience when it comes to that.

Obviously, people should be aware of their surroundings and know when to censor themselves. Unless it's been established that it's OK to use in the workplace, people need to watch what they say. I always make sure I don't let anything slip while talking to people at work. But i've also worked places where it didn't matter and nobody gave a second thought to saying f**k or whatever else some might consider bad words.

Yeah, I get that.

But there are lots of different posts that I've seen on this forum where it was certainly a conscious choice, on the part of an adult (or maybe I should say, an alleged adult :LOL: ).

I think anytime the work f**k is typed it should be replaced by this picture. Problem solved...

http://fotos.fotoflexer.com/b7b0dc3d422fb7a77c08864a20629773.jpg

Not the worst idea in the world...

Always on the cutting edge of thought...

:guitar:

• Like 1

:wtf: While you people debate this nonsense I'm over here wondering how we get :rush: to record and tour again...

You don't its over. Saying or not saying f**k is all we have left.

• Like 1