What got you hooked on RUSH?

DistantEarlySignals

The Spirit Of Radio. ESL was the first RUSH thing I heard and it got me in a flash

ESL was the first thing I heard also, thought it was good stuff. Then came the remaster with APtB-I was hooked then.

Edited by pjbear05

Far Cry in 2007. Before I hated Rush because my mom always said she didn't like Rush, before I really even heard any of their songs. Thankfully I didn't turn out like the rest of the kids my age who listen to their hip hop and rap, and my parents really introduced me to Rush when Snakes & Arrows came out. After that I loved Rush and couldn't stop listening to Snakes & Arrows, until Snakes & Arrows Live came out, which is when my dad and I saw Rush together for the first time. 9 years later, I'm still addicted to Rush and they're my favorite band.

Summer camp 1979, all the pretty girls were listening to them, and I wanted in the club,

Seriously, it was Bastille Day and 2112 from ATWAS.

For me it wasn't a song but a boy, in 11th grade, he and his band did "working man" in the talent show, but at the time I didn't know who Rush was. We started hanging out and he told me and I bought ESL (cassette) and we would listen to it constantly driving around town. I think it was probably The Trees though that really drew me in. Edited by Laurabw
  • Like 1

Became a casual fan after hearing Spirit of Radio while in high school. After getting married and having four kids and being immersed in their lives/interests, I didn't have much interest in any of the music of my youth. About a decade ago, I really got into Zeppelin after I started listening to a local classic rock station. Then, I got IHeart radio on my new smart phone two years ago and stumbled upon the song Time Stand Still. One thing led to another and went to R40 at Jiffy Lube Live (Va.) on May 30, 2015. (Took my 22-year old son who really enjoyed the show as well!) Then, I took a "Headlong Flight" and have become totally immersed in everything from the first album to Clockwork Angels. Sometimes, I regret the 2.5-decade lapse in my fandom, but to this day, I keep discovering old songs that are new to me. Sorry for the long-winded answer, but what else to do on a rainy July 4!!!
  • Like 3

Mine was actually Dreamline, which my dad showed me when I was seven. I've now learned plenty of other songs, but Dreamline will never not be a favorite of mine.
  • Like 3

Hmm.. I think my first exposure to Rush was when i started learning bass i was looking for easy but fun riffs to learn, ended up with Tom Sawyer. Took about 2 months to learn fully but yeah it got me into :rush: :geddy:
  • Like 1

The Spirit Of Radio, Geddy's vocals then a friend played ESL I was totally hooked after that with Xanadu and LVS.

What song (If you remember), got you into the band? For me it was Countdown. My favorite RUSH songs at first were Countdown and Red Barchetta. Now, I still love the RB, but Countdown lingers in my top 15 RUSH songs, if not my top ten. I just love that song.

So what was the song that got you hooked on RUSH?

Old thread, but I'm just finding it now, so sue me. :D

First song I heard was Tom Sawyer, when Moving Pictures was brand new. I was in fifth grade and used to bring my boom box to school... everyone would bring cassettes and we'd take turns playing them at lunch. Someone said, "you gotta hear this!". and popped in Moving Pictures, Side 1.

First song that HOOKED me, though, was Limelight. So damn catchy and I loved the guitar solo.

Since then, been hooked time and time again by different songs, as they were released.... Subdivisions, Analog Kid, Digital Man, Distant Early Warning, Red Sector A, etc etc etc ...

Edited by Mystic Slipperman

The whole All The World's A Stage album. Some time either in late 1976, or more probably early 1977, I went round to a friend's house and he was already playing it on what we used to call a "record player". I'd love to know what was the first song I heard, but I don't remember. I do remember hearing the "not too far from here as a matter of fact" introduction to Lakeside Park not long after I'd turned up in his bedroom, so it was probably Fly By Night, In The Mood or Something For Nothing.

I borrowed it a short time after that, taped it, and I was a fan. They toured the UK for the first time a few months later and I was there, as I was at all the subsequent UK tours.

• Like 1