Concert Reviews

Disco

QUOTE (Phoenix @ Oct 7 2006, 07:10 AM)
QUOTE (Batman @ Oct 7 2006, 11:15 AM)
I saw Iron Maiden last night. 
Awsome Show!!! 
Played the new album start to finish!!!!!!!!!! 
I'll give a full review later this weekend. trink39.gif  1022.gif

Lucky Bastard,

have to wait till Dortmund Dez. 8

Say, how was Bruce voice?

3Cheers

Beyond GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the earliest I have seen them in a tour cycle I was blown away! 1022.gif

Edited by Batman

So on Saturday, the 28th of October i took my 15 yr old daughter, and 4 of her friends down to toledo for this All Freaks Halloween Ball at The Club Bijou.....

this "review" brought to you by 39 yr old mother of 5......and RUSH is my favorite band....just to give you an idea......

My daughter, specifically wanted to go and her her FAVORITE band M.S.I. (Mindless Self Indulgence)....

but there were 6 bands all together that played.....

so, first, it's a little over an hour drive from my house to the toledo area....mapped out my route.....

concert/show "began at 6pm"...or at least, the ticket said doors open at 6pm......

we left the house about 3:30.....figuring we'd get there close to 5 pm.....

the winds that day were so strong...a few times i thought my car was going to blow over.......white knuckled holding onto the steering wheel..... we made it pretty right on time....about 5 pm...just like i figured...and that was driving 70 MPH or under in some areas.... (i usually drive a little faster than that)...

so , i pay to park ($3.00)......as we approached the Bijou, we could see a line of people outside the venue.....crap...we're early, and the doors aren't open yet.....i let the kids out of the van so they could get in line... i tell them i'll go park and meet up with them..... park the car...get out...walk to where i had to pay for my paking spot.....and walk to where the kids are waiting in line....

it was so freaking cold and windy...periods of rain came down...fortunately nothing too serious.... FINALLY at around 6:30pm, they open the freaking doors..... some of the people standing in line with us...who had been standing in line alot longer then we had... weren't wearing coats,.... or sweaters....dressed very inappropriiately for the elements...but it's a concert....and it's halloween weekend..so a ton of people were dressed in costume.... i had my "all purpose halloween costume" on, a tank under that, jeans and my leather coat and i was shaking i was so cold...i don't know how these kids/people did it standing outside that long with nothing on but t-shirts, short skirts.....sleevless outfits....f***ing crazy man.....

so...we're inside now....starting to get warmed up... i head straight to the bar for a drink to warm my bones....kids look at & purchase merchandise before the show.....and so now the "music" begins....

they had a guest D.J. that introduced the bands...

his name : D.J. Dark Hour... yeah o.k. whatever...it's just some dude introducing bands.....ain't no big thing in my book.....

first band up: THE ESOTERIC......i guess i'm so old that i don't even know how to classify this kind of music.....heavy metal death goth??? i dunno....couldn't tell ya the "setlist" because i was barely in that room....went back to the bar....checked out some merchandise.....went to the bathroom in the basement.....talked to some people....went back to the bar.....and then secured my table really close to another bar inside the club where i would end up staying the rest of the night.....protecting all of our stuff...stuff bought...coats....etc..... fortunately they only played like 5 or six songs......off the stage...NEXT.....

second one up: DEAD BY 28......??? confused13.gif i remember some groupie guy handing me a FREE CD of theirs sometime during the evening.... wasn't my kind of music...so i left it on the table when we left.....also couldn't tell you a set list.....i could barely understand a f***ing word they were saying.....it was loud...and the "singer" was screaming.....for 5 or six songs......i head back to the bar......but i think they sang alot about death...suicide....telling people to kill themselves..........lovely..... sarcasm.gif

Third up: CANDY COATED JESUS....yeah...o.k...... the band had NOBODY on stage dressed like jesus at all....and i'm pretty sure it wasn't christian music they were singing.........altho there was a guy walking around the club dressed like jesus and his outfit had candy glued on all over it.....by the end of the night, there was very little candy left...people kept picking it off his clothes when he would walk by.....he had a following...some girl dressed up in renaissance clothing...and a small child...maybe 10-12 range in age???? i was kinda shocked....he looked small and young.... the music the band played was a little better than the two previous ones.....the lead singer wasn't screaming thru all of his 5/6 songs he played.....NEXT PLEASE....

BTW just so ya'll know....i couldn't tell you ANY of the songs ANY of the bands played...i was just there for the alcohol..o.k.???

Then...#6 TUB RING.....now these guys were actually pretty good.....they've got some talent...a couple of the songs i liked.....the guy playing keyboard was a f***ing nutcase....but he could play while standing on the keyboard...and jumping all around they keyboard......pretty entertaining i must say....my daughter Ryan got to meet the band when we first walked into the club...they had a table with merchandise and they were standing around it...she got pictures...i got a drink....it was all good.....

so at this point... i thought that MSI would be next....I'm pumped...ready for them..... it's going on 10 pm...been there a while.....i'm thinking YAY! MSI next.....they play an hour or so....we leave...get in the car...get home close to around midnight 1am....right on.......

wrong.....

usually a good band plays...then the headliner/featured band.....not true in this particular case...... another band comes on stage....

#5 LIVING DEAD...first song...kindy creepy....kinda halloween-y a bunch of dressed up in halloween attired people come on stage...throw candy into the crowd....i'm like....oh, that's fun......costumes are cool...is this a little pre-cursor to MSI???? oh god no! i came to find out that this is another band playing....f**k....i mean the first song was cool...in the spirit of things....but then THEY CONTINUE TO PLAY....the lead singer is AT LEAST 350 lbs...big old fat f**k....every other word out of his mouth is an F-bomb.....then the keyboard goes out...so then we have to wait 5/10 minutes for them to "fix" it...everyone is boo-ing.....screaming "MSI MSI MSI" i guess i do gotta hand it to the guy....while they tried to fix the keyboard he did his best to try and entertain the increasingly restless crowds.....keyboard fixed...they play 4 more songs...i go to the bar and at this point...no i'm not drunk....i've had a drink per band...but these out rageously $ drinks are small..and cheap...the possibility of getting drunk would have to be shots...and i'm driving...so no....

at the table where i was, there are no chairs....anywhere....so i sit on the floor, drink my drink..smoke WAY too many cigarettes...and text message my friends...it is fun...it passes the time.....i am anxious for this HORRIBLE band to go away....thoroughout their play time....alot of people are booing them...... they don't get the hint...they still play...they are horrible...they suck bad....

BUT THANK GOD!!!!!!!!!!! the last band is here........MSI!!!!!!!!!!!! woo hooo!!!

before they come on...i get one last drink....i think....i dunno...at this point...it's 11pm....i'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO done......i know i'm going to be here at least another 2 hours......so hurry up MSI...get on.....play...and they do!! and i can see why Ryan loves them so much......altho i don't choose to listen to their music... i hear it most every day because my daughter blasts them from her room.....it's not bad.....i've certainly heard much worse...and some of it was tonite!! LOL.....but not only are they Talented.....the 4 memebers of this band can play instruments...and play them WELL....., Jimmy Urine (the lead singer) is pretty talented as well.....nice pitches in his voice....highs, lows.... but the show was quite good! he can sing.... he can dance...they guy never stopped moving the whole hour or so that they played.....except to shave some girls head of hair off at the sides (hey man, she volunteered....) and, he took his pants off.....pretty funny.....but they were entertaining......and .....i enjoyed them......so, they are done...no encores....to which i was suprised at, but hey...the sooner they are done, the sooner i can get outta here!!! they kids want to stay...meet the band (for ryan, again)....get pictures....get autographs....i stick around the back and watch 'the stuff'...the kids are soaking wet because they have been front row, against the plywood barracaids.....all night long....from the ESOTERIC to MSI....the security dudes sprayed them with water every once in a while...so between that, and the sweat from tons of bodies being smashed close together....they are soaked...and they stink like B.O. and cigarettes.....

ack....

we leave this Bijou club.......at around 1/1:30.....stop at a drive thru Mc D's so the kids can get food...it's been hours since they ate.....and we are now home bound...the ride home was quiet...i liked it...altho i wouldn't have been able to hear anyone talking anyways thru the ringing in my ears from the 6+ hours of loud music being played.....even the music they played between the bands was ear deafening loud (much better music IMHO...but LOUD)...i wished i had brought ear plugs......

luckily, the wind had died down, so going 80 or 90 on the freeway home was easy to do !! we made great time!! because of the whole fall back thing, it was 2:30 when we rolled in the driveway......but we felt the 3:30am it was supposed to be..........i had all the kids spend the night at my house cuz i wasn't about to spend and additional hour taking them home, or waiting for parents to pick them up.... i was asleep maybe 5 minutes after i walked in the door....possibly before my head hit the pillow...possibly before my body hit the bed.....

would i do it again?.... only if MSI was headlining.....and there was maybe one other band opening for them....and there was a bar....and chairs at the tables......and i had ear plugs.....

Last night (9/11/06) caught the Dropkick Murphys and Less Than Jake co-headlining at the Academy in Newcastle. The place was packed to the rafters. I was disappointed that the Dropkicks were on before Less Than ... Still a brilliant atmosphere!

As usual the Dropkicks tore into their set, and were ****ing excellent. The only down-side were the vocals, which were a little lost in the battery.

Then came Less Than Jake. Never a good sign when the vocalist/guitarist wears pantaloons! Well pantaloons might be a bit strong, but this trend for calf length/long shorts/ill fitting pants is beyond this 'old-timer'. Shorts are short, i.e. above the knee.

Would have been a canny gig, but he rambled on for too long - play the bloody songs.

Still good warm up for RANCID on Monday.

• Like 1

Well the Dropkicks were no warm up for Rancid.

Rancid were simply superb!

A whole new meaning to the word POWER. The video on the backdrop blended in some startling images, which suited the music. Mind you the images were no match for the stuff Rush do, but differing styles.

Just saw Primus live w/ my 12 year old for the first time since they toured w/ rush.

It was average. Average sound, average lights, average length- maybe even short. Claypool can play, but I was definitely disappointed. My kid wasn't but he can count concerts on one hand, and I seen as many as Gene Simmons has had women.

They could have played about 5 more songs if they didn't noodle around so much. Hey Les, you are not Jerry Garcia.

UFO - Academy Newcastle 24th November

Well I was a bit worried about seeing this lot again, as it was 22 years since the last time.

I'll start with the negatives. Phil Mogg removing his shirt to reveal his 50 odd year old torso - not needed. Pete Way looked very 'waysted' and like Stephen Fry's long-haired elder brother. Vinnie Moore showboating - nobody will have Mad Mickey's presence in the band, but the guitarist can play his stuff. Final negative; Sh*te venue management!

The gig itself - f**king brilliant!

Kicked off with Mother's Mary, played some stuff off Monkey Puzzle, with Hard Being Me the stand out of the new stuff. Majority of the show was the standards though; This Kids, Only You Can Rock Me, Let It Roll, Lights Out (no reference to the city either), Love To Love, Looking Out for Number One, Rock Bottom, Too Hard to Handle, Doctor Doctor and Shoot Shoot.

Superb!

Why the venue management wanted them off stage before 10pm to start a Rock Disco is beyond me, especially as the audience were lapping it up, and the band were having a great time.

Final gripe - will someone buy Pete a new pair of pants? Bloody hell, this sounds more like a fashion review than a gig round up.

Paul Weller- Manchester Apollo Theater-Nov 27/06

Too tired to write a review at the moment. Maybe Huck will later?

Meantime here's some visuals.

http://usera.imagecave.com/Ignacious/weller7.jpg

http://usera.imagecave.com/Ignacious/weller6.jpg

http://usera.imagecave.com/Ignacious/weller4.jpg

http://usera.imagecave.com/Ignacious/Weller1.jpg

TRANS-SIBERIAN ORCHESTRA - AIR CANADA CENTRE - NOV. 29/06

what a great f***ing show...I must say. They didn't miss a beat, their stage show was absolutely incredible...never seen anything like it. All they played were Christmas songs except for a groovy cover of Leila fro Clapton and FLIGHT OF THE BUMBLEBEE!!

All in all, was very impressed and am definetely going to see them again next year!

1022.gif TSO 1022.gif

Went to my very first concert last night: The Australian Pink Floyd Show.

So, i'll start at my birthday, a month and a bit ago:

My parents had got me tickets to TAPFS for my birthday, and I was very excited.

So, the night of the concert finally came. With my luck, it snowed for the first time this year... and it was bad. Gridlock all over the city. So, we finally made it to the Metro Centre after 2 hours or so of driving. We had to eat, because we had left pretty much just after school. Once we went into the Metro Centre and into our Skybox, i just stared off the ledge at the drumset. Very nice. Looks like something that Nick would play. After a bit of a delay (they wanted to let people get in) the lights suddenly turned off, and everyone yelled. Then, you could hear the opening orchestra-synth line of "Shine of you Crazy Diamond". When everyone started playing, it was magical. Lights everywhere, and the guitar solo's, and the sax solos. After about an hour or so of some awesome Floyd songs (set list below, or atleast what i can remember), there was a 15 minute intermission. Then the lights died again, and the music from "Outside the Wall" started playing. I knew what was next. In The Flesh? scared the crap out of me when they started playing. After another hour, the show was over. And I went home thinking "Now I definitely need to see Rush." I actually thought they werent going to be as good, because they were a tribute band, but, it was actually really good.

Setlist:

Shine On You Crazy Diamond

Time+Breathe Reprise

Dogs

(Not in order)

Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun (to my great surprise. it was also rocked out with a solo)

Take It Back

The Happiest Days of Our Lives+Another Brick In the Wall

Learning to Fly

Brain Damage+Eclipse

The Gunners Dream

The Great Gig In The Sky (with very good vocals)

Nobody's Home (with reclining chair and lamp)

One of These Days

Pigs

Money

Us and Them

Cumfortably Numb

With the Encores: Hey You (Where I thought I heard the "Echoes" pings, which i would have loved to hear) and Run Like Hell

Edited by KublaKhan

QUOTE (KublaKhan @ Dec 5 2006, 11:29 AM)
Went to my very first concert last night: The Australian Pink Floyd Show.

So, i'll start at my birthday, a month and a bit ago:

My parents had got me tickets to TAPFS for my birthday, and I was very excited.

So, the night of the concert finally came. With my luck, it snowed for the first time this year... and it was bad. Gridlock all over the city. So, we finally made it to the Metro Centre after 2 hours or so of driving. We had to eat, because we had left pretty much just after school. Once we went into the Metro Centre and into our Skybox, i just stared off the ledge at the drumset. Very nice. Looks like something that Nick would play. After a bit of a delay (they wanted to let people get in) the lights suddenly turned off, and everyone yelled. Then, you could hear the opening orchestra-synth line of "Shine of you Crazy Diamond". When everyone started playing, it was magical. Lights everywhere, and the guitar solo's, and the sax solos. After about an hour or so of some awesome Floyd songs (set list below, or atleast what i can remember), there was a 15 minute intermission. Then the lights died again, and the music from "Outside the Wall" started playing. I knew what was next. In The Flesh? scared the crap out of me when they started playing. After another hour, the show was over. And I went home thinking "Now I definitely need to see Rush." I actually thought they werent going to be as good, because they were a tribute band, but, it was actually really good.

Setlist:
Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Time+Breathe Reprise
Dogs
(Not in order)
Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun (to my great surprise. it was also rocked out with a solo)
Take It Back
The Happiest Days of Our Lives+Another Brick In the Wall
Learning to Fly
Brain Damage+Eclipse
The Gunners Dream
The Great Gig In The Sky (with very good vocals)
Nobody's Home (with reclining chair and lamp)
One of These Days
Pigs
Money
Us and Them
Cumfortably Numb
With the Encores: Hey You (Where I thought I heard the "Echoes" pings, which i would have loved to hear) and Run Like Hell

Cool first concert. I had the pleasure of seeing the Australian Pink Floyd earlier on in the year and they were amazing,

Incidentally my first concert was Iron Maiden on their first ever British tour.

I've seen Aussie Floyd 3 times, and I'm going for No.4 in March next year. Should be fun.

Anyhoo, review of the last gig I went to (prepared earlier):

Tenacious D

MEN Arena, Manchester, Tuesday 12th December 2006

Setlist:

Kielbasa

The History Of Tenacious D

Flash

Wonderboy

Dio

Rocket Sauce

Special Thing

Lee

Saxaboom

The Road

---------

Hell Movie/Fellowship Of The D

---------

Kickapoo

Explosivo

Karate

Dude I Really Miss You

Kyle Quit The Band

Friendship

The Metal

Break In City

Car Chase City

Papagenu

Sasquatch

Master Exploder

Beelzeboss

Double Team

---------

f**k Her Gently

Tribute

Pinball Wizard/Tommy Medley

Ok, so we'll get Neil Hamburger out of the way first: Stand-up comedian playing arenas of around 15,000 usually don't go over well, unless you've heard of them, and this crowd hasn't. So he didn't. He died on his arse.

But it's not long before the main event is underway. The set is Kyles Pad with sofas and TV and Mircowave, etc, and this is the part of the set which is just Jack and Kyle doing stuff from the first album. Usual stuff happens, they bring Lee out for "Special Thing" and "Lee", which are fantastic.

However, when Jack suggests that The D go "electric", this is when things pick up. Jack hands Kyle an electric guitar made from a toilet seat, and when they plug in, they're electrocuted...

Which is where the movie kicks in, obviously, they die and go to hell, although there's a nice line from Jack - "How do you know this is hell? Heaven could be red, and hot." During this movie they meet various members of their backing band. Guitarist, "The Anti-Christ" (basically some guy dressed as Jesus), Bass Player "Charlie Chaplin" (sent to hell because he was gay), and drummer "Colonel Sanders".

After that the main set is now changed from Kyles living room, to Hell, and The D have the addition of their band to kick through the rest of the set. Personal highlights are "Double Team" (as always), "The Metal" (which brings out a huge metal dude), and "Beelzeboss" in which Jack and Kyle do battle with Satan (both The Metal and Satan are played by Lee).

There's something altogether weird about 15,000 singing "f**k Her Gently", and "Tribute" brings the house down, much better with the full band. It's only left to play out with a medley from The Who's "Tommy" to close the show.

Rock!

9/10

1022.gif KISS and POISON in the summer of 2004.

Even tho we only had lawn seats, it was amazing. It was me, my mom, her friend mike, and my friend shawn, and it was his 1st concert.Itwas so kool, and even when KISS did the fire, u could feel the heat all the way back to the lawn.

And when CC from poison was soloing, it was loud for our seats.We had so much fun at that concert.It's 1 that i'll never forget. 1022.gif

Edited by spawn666

Saw Styx last night at Billy Bob's in Ft. Worth. Great show!

Larry Gowan has Dennis De Young's voice down pat. Really stayed true to the melodies. Good showman too what with spinning his keyboard rig around on it's riser and even standing on top of the instrument. Oh yeah, he plays it real well too!

Song list covered all the hits: Blue Collar Man, Grand Illusion, Lady, Miss America, Snowblind, etc. They played a 15 minute medley in the middle of the set of a bunch of other tunes which I can't all name (the opening to Mr. Roboto drew big cheers though)

Chuck Pannozzo was introduced late in the show to come and play Fooling Yourself, Suite Madame Blue, and Come Sail Away. He played well, and looked pretty good despite his illness.

If they come around your way, go see them... a definite good time.

So I went to see my friends The Western Dream last night, and they shared the bill with Word of a Bloom who stole the show. They are quite honestly among the best bands I have ever seen, and I have seen many great bands like Primus, Dream Theater, Herbie Hancock, Tony Levin Band and Carl Palmer Band, just to name a few. These guys were right up there, no foolin'! 10/10

The band thought I was drunk, I was hollering so loud. A fan of theirs taped the set and I plan to post it later for all on TRF to see what an ass I made of myself, and the intense chemistry, energy, and songwriting prowess that is Word of a Bloom. smile.gif

Saw John Martyn and his band at the Sage (slug) in Gateshead. Have to say for deftness of touch his guitar playing is something else. I struggled to listen to his stuff on CD, including Solid Air, but live was quite spellbound.

Canny stuff!

Blackfield with Pure Reason Revolution at London's Mean Fiddler

After all the band's recent problems I was fearing the worst from Pure Reason Revolution, who I've been dying to see since the release of their superb debut album The Dark Third last year. Fortunately I couldn't have been more wrong, as they turned in a brilliant performance, the centre piece of which was a stunning rendition of The Bright Ambassadors of Morning. The sound was fantastic, as we chose to stand beside the mixing desk, and I had the bonus of a great view of the gorgeous Chloe, who played most of the set with a big smile on her face and is quite simply sex on legs. For the first night of the tour it was a terrific effort - catch them if you can and spread the word!

I love both Blackfield albums, and they put in a good performance. Steve Wilson was on particularly good form, despite a couple of first night mistakes. However, I do have reservations about them in a live environment - their music is very angsty and has very little in the way of up tempo numbers to break up the pacing. As a result, after a while I found my attention beginning to wonder, which is a shame because the sound was great and the performance, as I've said, was good. My friends all felt the same way though, but fortunately it hasn't put them off going to see Porcupine Tree in April!

Pure Reason Revolution get a 9/10

Blackfield get a 7/10

On November 18th, I went to see Iron Maiden in The Globe Arena, Stockholm, Sweden. The last time I had been to "The Globe" was in September 2004 when I saw Rush on their R30 tour.

I went with my sister and one of her friends. None of them had seen Iron Maiden before (I had seen them once) so it was really fun for them. We met outside the arena roughly 45 minutes before the show was supposed to start, and found our seats in the very back and quite high up. Not the best view of the stage, but that didn't really matter. We were there and that's the important thing. It also turned out that the sound was great where we were sitting.

We sat and chatted before the opening act, Trivium hit the stage. I didn't have very high hopes about the band, judging from my previous experience with Iron Maiden openers. In June 2003, Murderdolls opened for them and I didn't like them at all. I was with other words pleasantly surprised with Trivium. A little bit too much "thrash" for me, but they did a good show and from my point of view, the rest of the audience liked them as well.

After a break including bathroom visits, Doctor Doctor came on and everyone who had seen Maiden before knew what was about to come. After some classical intro, they opened up with Different World, the first song from their new album. They had played the night before also, and since I couldn't keep from buying the newspaper to read the review, I knew the setlist. That didn't disappoint me too much though.

Setlist:

Entire "A Matter Of Life And Death" album

Fear Of The Dark

Iron Maiden

--------------

2 Minutes To Midnight

The Evil That Men Do

Hallowed Be Thy Name

After hearing the new album at home in my stereo, I wasn't too impressed. However, when they played them live, they got so much more energy and power that I was blown away. One cool part was during "Out Of The Shadows" when everyone got their cell phones out and waved them around like lighters. Also, hearing the last song "The Legacy" was truly a concert highlight for me. When they then launched into Fear Of The Dark, the arena went nuts! Pretty much everyone was standing up and singing/shouting along. The final song before the encore (as always) was Iron Maiden with a huge Eddie in command of a Tank which was cool.

They opened up the encore with 2 Minutes To Midnight and it was nice seeing (and hearing) Adrian playing the intro for once. During The Evil That Men Do, Eddie came out again dressed as a soldier and Janick ran around him, punching him in the balls smile.gif During the final song, the crowd was absolutely crazy and no one wanted it to stop. When it finally (and sadly) did, everyone walked out of the arena, singing Monty Pyton's Always Look At The Bright Side Of Life, that was being played in the speakers.

Now I'm looking forward to Roger Waters in The Globe on April 27th, and I'm expecting a great experience, based on what I have read here smile.gif

Thanks for reading!

1022.gif