Concert Reviews

Disco

This might be early to say because the concert isn't until July, but last week, for presale, V.I.P., and public tickets went on sale.  Madonna, is going on tour for promoting her 40th+ Anniversary called "the Celebration Tour", and in Vancouver, there is one, which is the first.  I've been seeing if tickets would sell out, and prices get cheaper.  I haven't seen her perform in person before.  On the Canadian Ticketmaster website, for a cheaper price, than what a lot of them have been, I bought a verified resale one.  It's a good seat, and not anywhere on the floors.  With Madonna developing a "serious bacterial infection", her 40th+ Anniversary "the Celebration Tour" July date in Vancouver, and the initial North American leg had, and needed to be postponed, and rescheduled.  Now, the Vancouver date is for Feb. 21, 2024.

I wanted to say that I did go to the rescheduled "Madonna - 40th+ Anniversary: the Celebration Tour" in Vancouver on Feb. 21.  I thought she, and the concert were phenomenal, exceptional, and spectacular.  I recommend anyone else not having trying to miss it. 

Edited by Derek19
  • Like 1

Just saw Judas Priest with Sabaton opening for them in Albany NY.

Good Lord - what a show.

My goodness.

First off - Sabaton.  I saw them a number of years ago opening for Nightwish in a small venue in NYC on the opening night of the Endless Forms Most Beautiful tour.  At that point I did not know anything about Sabaton and was shock at how good they were - they killed it.  Strangly I never really got into their music.  I have one CD but don't listen to it much.  That is going to have to change.  I should like them as I am very interested by history and power metal is my cup of tea.  I really need to find the time to give them a deep dive - both because I should like them, how much I liked their show years ago and the show tonight.  They killed it.  Every song they did was excellent and they really worked the crowed.  Note - I went to the show by myself but then talked to a bunch of folks on the way out (I always do that - if you go to a show in Albany and some tall guy with a beard and glasses just strikes up a conversation it might be me) and everybody I talked with agreed Sabaton killed it and was way, way better than Queensryche who opened for Priest the last time they played Albany.

On to the mighty Priest.  Give me a break.  Geepers creepers - they were ridiculously good.  Just insane.  Way better than their last tour in 2022.  Better than when I saw them opening for Deep Purple in support of Firepower.  Before that the last time I had seen them was on the Painkiller tour and this was much, much better than that (mind you, I dislike Painkiller as an album).  Only time I have seen a better Priest show was on the Ram it Down Tour in 1988 - and that, to this day, is the 2nd best show I have seen (surpassed only by Rush on the VT tour).  The set list included a lot of songs you would expect - The Hellion, Electric Eye, The Green Manalishi, Turbo Lover, Victim of Changes, (those 3 were not on the set list the last time they played Albany and I really like them so that was a welcome inclusion) Breaking the Law, Liven After Midnight, You've Got Another thing Coming, Painkiller (which was also not on the set list last time but since I don't like it - o, well, most folks were happy), Hell Bent For Leather.  They did not play a ton off the new album - Crown of Horns got the biggest response of their new material (which is fine with me as I enjoy it).

BTW - the version of Victim of Changes just had folks both going nuts and shaking their heads.  I heard one guy go "Not f'ing possible!  How how old is Halford and he just did that?"

Then their was Love Bites - I am ok with the song.  No problems but it not amoung my elite Priest songs but this version was insane.  Just fire - no, radioactively glowing it was so hot.  Plus they did Devils Child which is a favorite of mine and Halford killed it  It was crazy - how the f was Halford doing what he did vocally?  That is not an easy song to do. He may not have been hitting all the notes from the album but he was close - and its not 1982 any more.  Crazy. 

Multiple time during the show my jaw just dropped and I said to my self "Good lord!!!  Thats insane!  What the f am I hearing?"  Halford vocals were just incredible / ridiculous.

Additional note - Ritchie Faulkner on lead guitar is just the reincarnation of Randy Rhodes.  Its been said before but I will say it again - I can't think of another band that has received such a late career reinvigoration from the addition of anybody.  He really should have been indicted in the Hall of Fame with the group.  

Crazy good show.  Obviously I enjoyed it and Priest clearly still has a lot left in the tank if they want to keep going.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TheAccountant said:

Just saw Judas Priest with Sabaton opening for them in Albany NY.

Good Lord - what a show.

My goodness.

First off - Sabaton.  I saw them a number of years ago opening for Nightwish in a small venue in NYC on the opening night of the Endless Forms Most Beautiful tour.  At that point I did not know anything about Sabaton and was shock at how good they were - they killed it.  Strangly I never really got into their music.  I have one CD but don't listen to it much.  That is going to have to change.  I should like them as I am very interested by history and power metal is my cup of tea.  I really need to find the time to give them a deep dive - both because I should like them, how much I liked their show years ago and the show tonight.  They killed it.  Every song they did was excellent and they really worked the crowed.  Note - I went to the show by myself but then talked to a bunch of folks on the way out (I always do that - if you go to a show in Albany and some tall guy with a beard and glasses just strikes up a conversation it might be me) and everybody I talked with agreed Sabaton killed it and was way, way better than Queensryche who opened for Priest the last time they played Albany.

On to the mighty Priest.  Give me a break.  Geepers creepers - they were ridiculously good.  Just insane.  Way better than their last tour in 2022.  Better than when I saw them opening for Deep Purple in support of Firepower.  Before that the last time I had seen them was on the Painkiller tour and this was much, much better than that (mind you, I dislike Painkiller as an album).  Only time I have seen a better Priest show was on the Ram it Down Tour in 1988 - and that, to this day, is the 2nd best show I have seen (surpassed only by Rush on the VT tour).  The set list included a lot of songs you would expect - The Hellion, Electric Eye, The Green Manalishi, Turbo Lover, Victim of Changes, (those 3 were not on the set list the last time they played Albany and I really like them so that was a welcome inclusion) Breaking the Law, Liven After Midnight, You've Got Another thing Coming, Painkiller (which was also not on the set list last time but since I don't like it - o, well, most folks were happy), Hell Bent For Leather.  They did not play a ton off the new album - Crown of Horns got the biggest response of their new material (which is fine with me as I enjoy it).

BTW - the version of Victim of Changes just had folks both going nuts and shaking their heads.  I heard one guy go "Not f'ing possible!  How how old is Halford and he just did that?"

Then their was Love Bites - I am ok with the song.  No problems but it not amoung my elite Priest songs but this version was insane.  Just fire - no, radioactively glowing it was so hot.  Plus they did Devils Child which is a favorite of mine and Halford killed it  It was crazy - how the f was Halford doing what he did vocally?  That is not an easy song to do. He may not have been hitting all the notes from the album but he was close - and its not 1982 any more.  Crazy. 

Multiple time during the show my jaw just dropped and I said to my self "Good lord!!!  Thats insane!  What the f am I hearing?"  Halford vocals were just incredible / ridiculous.

Additional note - Ritchie Faulkner on lead guitar is just the reincarnation of Randy Rhodes.  Its been said before but I will say it again - I can't think of another band that has received such a late career reinvigoration from the addition of anybody.  He really should have been indicted in the Hall of Fame with the group.  

Crazy good show.  Obviously I enjoyed it and Priest clearly still has a lot left in the tank if they want to keep going.

I was there too. It was an amazing show

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Super25Smasher said:

I was there too. It was an amazing show

Yes - one other thing I did not mention was that I spent  lot of $ at the show.  One ticket at the door, $90.  One T-shirt outside, another $40.  One beer in the venue, another $19 (give me a break, fine with helping pay the salaries of the workers but thats robbery).  Needed the beer though as I had puled some muscles in my back and even with some CBD and Tylenol my back was killing me.  4 T- shirts (2 Priest & 2 Sabaton) at the merch booth another $200. A signed copy of Sabaton's album at the merch booth another $75.  

Not complaining (much).  I saved up and planned to spend this $.  It was worth it (except the crazy cost of the beer - but even that was worth it in a way).  Glad you liked the show as well.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, TheAccountant said:

Yes - one other thing I did not mention was that I spent  lot of $ at the show.  One ticket at the door, $90.  One T-shirt outside, another $40.  One beer in the venue, another $19 (give me a break, fine with helping pay the salaries of the workers but thats robbery).  Needed the beer though as I had puled some muscles in my back and even with some CBD and Tylenol my back was killing me.  4 T- shirts (2 Priest & 2 Sabaton) at the merch booth another $200. A signed copy of Sabaton's album at the merch booth another $75.  

Not complaining (much).  I saved up and planned to spend this $.  It was worth it (except the crazy cost of the beer - but even that was worth it in a way).  Glad you liked the show as well.

I spent $50 inside on a shirt haha. I got my ticket for about $35 in March. Ticketmaster had what they call a “Get Lucky Offer”, and I got a good deal.

• Like 1

Stones were fantastic on Thursday.  The t-storms rolled through last morning but the weather was perfect for an outdoor show.

Going back for more tonight.

I've said this many times before but I think this will be The Last Time is see The Stones live.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, custom55 said:

Stones were fantastic on Thursday.  The t-storms rolled through last morning but the weather was perfect for an outdoor show.

I've said this many times before but I think this will be The Last Time is see The Stones live.

Soooo good, and we're going again too, we grabbed side stage on Friday afternoon!!

Gimme Shelter was my highlight. Chanel is fierce!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, custom55 said:

Yeah, I remember saying that in 95. I was quite sure they wouldn't be around for too much longer. How wrong was I!

• Like 1

Keith looks like death but sounds great, Ronnie sounds great and Mick is like Benjamin freaking Button

• Like 2

I just saw the Stones last night and was frankly shocked at how good they were.  The show was really good and even given the biological limitations of singing and dancing at 80; it made little difference.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, lerxt1990 said:

I just saw the Stones last night and was frankly shocked at how good they were.  The show was really good and even given the biological limitations of singing and dancing at 80; it made little difference.  

Pulling the thread more..

********SPOILER MENTION OF SONG BELOW SKIP IF YOU DONT WANT TO KNOW***************************

She's A Rainbow hit me right where I live.  They played it brilliantly, and being an old GenXer it transported me to my youth, that piano and the singing, and they played it VERY well.  Also whether you are a slightly more than casual fan (like me) you realized quickly that you were watching legends play this stuff with every ounce of energy they had, not mailing it in.  For me, Start Me Up to start was obviously great (although I couldnt get the image of Bill Gates and those dorks dancing to the song out of my head..) but what really hit was Honky Tonk WOman, Sympathy Devil, Gimmee SHelter (his black female backup singer crushed it), Cant Alway Get What you Want, and Midnight Rambler especially - which reminds you how they truly love the blues.  Straight up did not expect to enjoy it as much as I did.

If you get a chance to see Scorpions on their Love at First Sting anniversary tour, take it. I was lucky enough to catch their show in London last week and it was well worth it. 

I made the show by the skin of my teeth (delayed flight from Tel Aviv) and I was out on my feet with fatigue. I've seen Scorpions goodness knows how many times over the years but this show was incredible. They've even replicated the World Wide Live stage set from the original tour. 

It's a great night out.

• Like 2