CA Live = Ear Fatigue

Captain Avatar

Nothing to do with the material, but right up to Different Stages, or maybe Rush in Rio, Rush live albums were something special, something you waited for and cherished when it came out. Each one representing an era, and quite different from each other. Nowadays there are so many that I've almost lost track. Who is able to differentiate the version of TSOR in S&A Live from Time Machine from CA Live?

I have to agree with this. While I like some of the post DS live recordings.....I loved that Rush had the 4 albums then a live album pattern going. A time capsule of each cycle.

But hey.....they have to make a living. And having each tour since the rebirth (VT) has been cool. I like that I have those albums after T4E's tunes live.....and I love set one of the S&A Tour & CA tour....BIG TIME.

• Like 3

Nothing to do with the material, but right up to Different Stages, or maybe Rush in Rio, Rush live albums were something special, something you waited for and cherished when it came out. Each one representing an era, and quite different from each other. Nowadays there are so many that I've almost lost track. Who is able to differentiate the version of TSOR in S&A Live from Time Machine from CA Live?

I have to agree with this. While I like some of the post DS live recordings.....I loved that Rush had the 4 albums then a live album pattern going. A time capsule of each cycle.

But hey.....they have to make a living. And having each tour since the rebirth (VT) has been cool. I like that I have those albums after T4E's tunes live.....and I love set one of the S&A Tour & CA tour....BIG TIME.

If they have to make a living, and if they have the entire Test for Echo tour recorded somewhere, I wish they'd put it out on Blu Ray. I would definitely pick that up, as would pretty much everyone on this forum. More money for them, and the first "Evening with Rush" for us...plus all of 2112!

• Like 3

One of the positive things about CA Live is that the sawtooth synth sound for Subdivisions is the best it's been since the Signals tour, it actually sounded like an old-school Oberheim synthesizer.
  • Like 2

One of the positive things about CA Live is that the sawtooth synth sound for Subdivisions is the best it's been since the Signals tour, it actually sounded like an old-school Oberheim synthesizer.

yeah it sounds just like when i play it on my wife's casio

:eyeroll:

CA Tour makes TM: 2011 sound pretty good and the only problem I had with that one was that Neil's kit was a bit too low in the mix...particularly the snare. Oh and also Geddy's yodeling particularly in the second half (but he was sick that day so whatcanyado?). Edited by PolarizeMe

I was watching the CA Live Blu Ray disc today and could only make it through the first six songs or so before I needed to turn it off due to ear fatigue.

I don't know what the culprit is, be it post-concert mixing or simply the way their instruments sound live nowadays, but it's like a cacophony of sound, without much instrument separation, IMO. I can barely discern Geddy's bass, and Neil's drums sound pretty bad, too, IMO.

I think this plagues CA studio album to a degree as well. It's especially noticeable since I've been listening to a lot of early material, like Caress of Steel and A Farewell to Kings, where each instrument is crystal clear, and you can hear every one of Neil's ghost notes, etc.

I'd love to see them return to that kind of instrument separation, simply so I can enjoy listening to their newest stuff. I think CA has some great songs on it. I just wish I didn't get so damn tired listening to it!

"VAPOR TRAILS LIVE!!!" The production is shit.

• Like 1

As for CA production Nick should be FIRED! JMO

Nick has become very famous. Good for him. Sadly for my ears he is certainly overrated.

I like the S&A production. That's about it.

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

Nick has become very famous. Good for him. Sadly for my ears he is certainly overrated.

S&A's sounds good, even though like Alex said, he added too much acoustic guitar to the tracks. They could have made it a little less dense, but it does sound good.

• Like 1

S&A's sounds good, even though like Alex said, he added too much acoustic guitar to the tracks. They could have made it a little less dense, but it does sound good.

Yep! I agree! I love "We Hold On." A perfect song to end the album. Sounds great!

• Like 3

Who is able to differentiate the version of TSOR in S&A Live from Time Machine from CA Live?

I can. I know it was a rhetorical question, but I can tell you that there's a difference in the reggae section on all three. Geddy puts on some sort of accent in S&A Live, on CA Tour, He slightly changes the notes in the "for the words of the prophets..." line. Time Machine is probably the closest to the studio version as he just sings it normally without a note or accent change. And I agree with the rest of your comment, though I am happy that they do release the DVD/CD from each tour as I can't go to the shows. Having the DVD, fatigue or no, helps for me as I just want to see the best band in the world, which will sadly never be a dream fulfilled thanks to them pretty much retiring after R40

• Like 1

Clockwork Angels sounds the way it does because the band WANTED it to sound that way. Nick did what THEY wanted. It's one of the most unique sounding records they've made.

So they wanted it to sound like a bunch of jumbled noise that you almost have to have an engineering degree in to set your audio system to where it's listenable? Interesting. Why do you think they would do such a thing?
  • Like 5

Clockwork Angels sounds the way it does because the band WANTED it to sound that way. Nick did what THEY wanted. It's one of the most unique sounding records they've made.

And that's why Rush should've packed up years ago. If they wanted an album to sound like that then they are clearly lacking in any taste or critical facility whatsoever. I mean the "songs" were sh1t to begin with, but to make them even worse in production beggars belief.

When TM reads this, all he'll hear in his head is fart noises!

• Like 1

It's just sad when fans can't recognize a late career renaissance. Vapor Trails is a wonderful album and CA is a return to greatness.

As far as production is concerned, I'd rather have great songs with subpar production than subpar songs produced exquisitely.

A late career renaissance? Production aside, CA is an insult to music. It's as if the band deliberately refuse to write anything that even resembles songs anymore in an act of obstinate defiance. It's a wall of noise. And that's being overly generous.
  • Like 1

When TM reads this, all he'll hear in his head is fart noises!

Segue most likely... ;)
  • Like 1

A late career renaissance? Production aside, CA is an insult to music. It's as if the band deliberately refuse to write anything that even resembles songs anymore in an act of obstinate defiance. It's a wall of noise. And that's being overly generous.

Are you sure you're not talking about the funereal effort prior to their comeback?