CA Live = Ear Fatigue

Captain Avatar

As for CA production Nick should be FIRED! JMO

Nick has become very famous. Good for him. Sadly for my ears he is certainly overrated.

I like the S&A production. That's about it.

Clockwork Angels sounds the way it does because the band WANTED it to sound that way. Nick did what THEY wanted. It's one of the most unique sounding records they've made.

If they wanted it to sound that way, they need hearing aids.

Or at the very least, a better sense of humour. The joke fell flat.

CP was the funnier album, lol

Great joke songs on that one.

CA was just sick and cruel, lol

Mick

Cruel in the sense that they wasted the previous 27 or so years of their career with lite rock classics when they were capable of something like CA.

Vapor Trails? Lite rock?

And CA is worthy of a 27 year dip, a dip which you still claim saw the release of classics?

CA fans are worse than Bieber fans. I swear, reading these sorts of comments is like going through any random YouTube comment section.

Yeah, the lite rock comment was only applicable to the PoW, HYF, presto era of Fogelbergian missteps. CP, T4E, and VT (the latter of which is actually very good) were despite their inability to measure up to the greatness of the pre PoW era, not lite rock).

For you, the most flighty poster ( in a musical sense ) that exists on this forum to compare anyone to a Bieber fan just shows that your sense of self awareness is as undeveloped as your hero's musical ability.

Point proven.

CA fans are the worst.

Segue, segue, segue. Jack, relax get busy with the facts... There are folks around here that love and don't love all sorts of things in the span of a 40 plus year catalog. Accept the fact and move on. Truth is at least for me if I never heard anything post 84' again I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. There is nothing beyond that time period that I really must have. As far a CA goes it is about half to 60% good as far as I am concerned. Overall I would rather listen to HYF but they are very different in production and sound. I like to rock with the best of them but the production of CA just doesn't sit well with me and I would rather hear a more minimalistic production. It may be easy listening to some but it is very good easy listening save for the last two songs in my view. I have heard the word masterpiece associated with CA and I couldn't even come close to going there but if some folks feel that way its cool. I think AFTK is a masterpiece and some don't. Its all good. BTW 2112, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures and Signals I would consider masterpieces as well. Caress Of Steel and Fly By Night are great too but fall just shy of masterpiece status. Just my opinion... :codger:

I agree. it's been 3 years. CA fans used to annoy me. but now it's just.......hey they like what they like. i will never change them they will never change me......so shut up and rock, lol

:rush:

Mick

Vinyl usually has a larger dynamic range than CD which is why that medium is more forgiving. I've heard that reel to reel tape has even more dynamic range.

Wrong. Technically CD has much higher possible dynamic range, but with most popular music it's not utilized at all, because it's compressed and brickwalled. Classical music does utilize it to its full potential.

• Like 1

As far as vinyl as compared to CD's goes... I have heard VT in any number of ways and it sounded like sh*t to me. I got it on vinyl for Christmas as a gift from my daughter and listened to it and the sound is completely listenable. I am still not a fan of the album per se but I can at least get through it without digging around in the kitchen drawer searching for an ice pick... :) Edited by Narps
  • Like 2

Really enjoy this release. I think the CA tracks have an added energy / passion over the studio versions, appear to be tracks the band are very proud of and excited to be playing live. I think they must have practiced long and hard to play this well so late in their careers. I certainly wasn't expecting such a strong studio album and associated live release this late on. Overall a totally unexpected high energy and very enjoyable show from start to finish. One of my favourites.Really blown away by the performance.

A late career renaissance? Production aside, CA is an insult to music. It's as if the band deliberately refuse to write anything that even resembles songs anymore in an act of obstinate defiance. It's a wall of noise. And that's being overly generous.

I wouldn't go quite that far, but it's been painfully obvious over the last couple albums that Rush pieces together songs from random riffs and parts they compose over time which makes a lot of the material sound clunky.

As far as production is concerned, I'd rather have great songs with subpar production than subpar songs produced exquisitely.

I'd rather have great songs with exquisite production :)

Edited by Rushman14

As far as production is concerned, I'd rather have great songs with subpar production than subpar songs produced exquisitely.

I'd rather have great songs with exquisite production :)

Well, sure....

Nick has become very famous. Good for him. Sadly for my ears he is certainly overrated.

Clockwork Angels sounds the way it does because the band WANTED it to sound that way. Nick did what THEY wanted. It's one of the most unique sounding records they've made.

Mick

Cruel in the sense that they wasted the previous 27 or so years of their career with lite rock classics when they were capable of something like CA.

Vapor Trails? Lite rock?

And CA is worthy of a 27 year dip, a dip which you still claim saw the release of classics?

CA fans are worse than Bieber fans. I swear, reading these sorts of comments is like going through any random YouTube comment section.

Yeah, the lite rock comment was only applicable to the PoW, HYF, presto era of Fogelbergian missteps. CP, T4E, and VT (the latter of which is actually very good) were despite their inability to measure up to the greatness of the pre PoW era, not lite rock).

For you, the most flighty poster ( in a musical sense ) that exists on this forum to compare anyone to a Bieber fan just shows that your sense of self awareness is as undeveloped as your hero's musical ability.

Point proven.

CA fans are the worst.

Segue, segue, segue. Jack, relax get busy with the facts... There are folks around here that love and don't love all sorts of things in the span of a 40 plus year catalog. Accept the fact and move on. Truth is at least for me if I never heard anything post 84' again I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. There is nothing beyond that time period that I really must have. As far a CA goes it is about half to 60% good as far as I am concerned. Overall I would rather listen to HYF but they are very different in production and sound. I like to rock with the best of them but the production of CA just doesn't sit well with me and I would rather hear a more minimalistic production. It may be easy listening to some but it is very good easy listening save for the last two songs in my view. I have heard the word masterpiece associated with CA and I couldn't even come close to going there but if some folks feel that way its cool. I think AFTK is a masterpiece and some don't. Its all good. BTW 2112, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures and Signals I would consider masterpieces as well. Caress Of Steel and Fly By Night are great too but fall just shy of masterpiece status. Just my opinion... :codger:

Well said. I agree.

Mick

Vapor Trails? Lite rock?

Point proven.

CA fans are the worst.

Well said. I agree.

Again we agree. We are going to have to stop meeting like this... :cool:
  • Like 1