The Official Iron Maiden Thread

Segue Myles

I was going to review the new album, but due to personal circumstances - I had to fly back home for a family matter - my buddy John Kokel took over from me. Here's his take on Senjutsu: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/album-reviews/iron-maiden-senjutsu/
  • Like 2

I was going to review the new album, but due to personal circumstances - I had to fly back home for a family matter - my buddy John Kokel took over from me. Here's his take on Senjutsu: https://www.sonicper...aiden-senjutsu/

A good review, and thanks for posting!

Listening to the title track right now, and it's a grabber from the get-go. :haz:

• Like 1

I was going to review the new album, but due to personal circumstances - I had to fly back home for a family matter - my buddy John Kokel took over from me. Here's his take on Senjutsu: https://www.sonicper...aiden-senjutsu/

Listening to the title track right now, and it's a grabber from the get-go. :haz:

Where do you place it in the discography?

• Like 1

Let me rank the bands albums, as best I can because I f***ing love the shite out of them:

1. Somewhere In Time

2. Seventh Son Of The Seventh Son

3. Number Of The Beast

4. Powerslave

5. No Prayer For The Dying

6. Piece Of Mind

7. Iron Maiden

8. The Killers

9. The Final Frontier

10. The Book Of Souls

11. Brave New World

12. Senjutsu

13. Dance Of Death

14. A Matter Of Life And Death

15. Virtual XI

16. The X Factor

17. Fear Of The Dark

Having some time to digest this album further, I have a few notes

1. Dave Murray is more on fire in this album than he has been in YEARS.

2. The Parchment has some great musical ideas but should've dropped about 2 minutes of repeated bars and the bass-led bookends.

3. Death Of The Celts is better than The Clansman. WAY better. And The Clansman is a pretty good song.

4. The Time Machine recycled a lead riff from Book of Souls title track, but it serves the song very well. Still my favorite track on the album.

5. The title track is an excellent opener and I look forward to seeing how they open a show with it. It builds an incredible amount of tension.

6. Hell On Earth is the best epic Harris wrote on his own since SSOASS.

7. Bruce is the master of taking care of his voice throughout all of his years. He still delivers.

• Like 1

Having some time to digest this album further, I have a few notes

1. Dave Murray is more on fire in this album than he has been in YEARS.

2. The Parchment has some great musical ideas but should've dropped about 2 minutes of repeated bars and the bass-led bookends.

3. Death Of The Celts is better than The Clansman. WAY better. And The Clansman is a pretty good song.

4. The Time Machine recycled a lead riff from Book of Souls title track, but it serves the song very well. Still my favorite track on the album.

5. The title track is an excellent opener and I look forward to seeing how they open a show with it. It builds an incredible amount of tension.

6. Hell On Earth is the best epic Harris wrote on his own since SSOASS.

7. Bruce is the master of taking care of his voice throughout all of his years. He still delivers.

I will say that I agree that DIckinson is (seemingly) ageless. He's got a little Sammy Hagar/Glenn Hughes thing going in that respect.

Where do you place it in the discography?

I'm probably not the guy to ask. But I put it up with my top three favs, which are Killers, Beast, and Book of Souls. I'm one who felt they lost their nuts a bit post-Beast, and thought Souls was a big recovery in sound. Edited by goose

I'm 100% ok with people enjoying the album, and I keep trying and listening, but for me, it's just not there. And I won't try to convince anyone about my opinion, but I believe the enjoyment or not of this album has to do with how long you've been a fan of the band. I got into them when Powerslave came out, and I've seen them evolve, take risks, fail and recover. Now, to my ears, they seem to be on safe mode, not willing to take chances, and drawing too much from the past. A lot of the songs here would require some editing and tweaking, but they are fixed on the idea that everyone needs to be respected in the band, and they're afraid of stepping on each other's toes. Making a five star album takes effort, disappointment, arguing, the ability to take criticism and to sometimes relinquish your ideas in favor of the song. Maiden does not seem willing to do that, and it sounds to me like everyone who presents an idea gets her way. Kevin Shirley is not there to criticize, as opposed to the role he played in Counterparts or in Dream Theater's Falling Into Infinity for example. He's there to press record and capture whatever it is those six guys want him to. He's been a "producer" of this band for twenty years - how did he not pick up that these passages are exactly the same?

03min08s:

02min56s:

05min21s:

With that said, the band's PR sent me a physical copy of the album, and if/when there's a chance to interview one of them, I would gladly take that opportunity. I won't be able to express my opinion the way I'm doing here though...let's see if they have a slot for me.

• Like 4

I'm 100% ok with people enjoying the album, and I keep trying and listening, but for me, it's just not there. And I won't try to convince anyone about my opinion, but I believe the enjoyment or not of this album has to do with how long you've been a fan of the band. I got into them when Powerslave came out, and I've seen them evolve, take risks, fail and recover. Now, to my ears, they seem to be on safe mode, not willing to take chances, and drawing too much from the past. A lot of the songs here would require some editing and tweaking, but they are fixed on the idea that everyone needs to be respected in the band, and they're afraid of stepping on each other's toes. Making a five star album takes effort, disappointment, arguing, the ability to take criticism and to sometimes relinquish your ideas in favor of the song. Maiden does not seem willing to do that, and it sounds to me like everyone who presents an idea gets her way. Kevin Shirley is not there to criticize, as opposed to the role he played in Counterparts or in Dream Theater's Falling Into Infinity for example. He's there to press record and capture whatever it is those six guys want him to. He's been a "producer" of this band for twenty years - how did he not pick up that these passages are exactly the same?

03min08s:

02min56s:

05min21s:

With that said, the band's PR sent me a physical copy of the album, and if/when there's a chance to interview one of them, I would gladly take that opportunity. I won't be able to express my opinion the way I'm doing here though...let's see if they have a slot for me.

I've wondered if liking this album or not is a generational thing too. The younger fans seem to really dig it, which is fair enough, but us older ones not so much.

1630942246[/url'>' post='4944575']
1630921173' post='4944536']

03min08s:

02min56s:

05min21s:

I've wondered if liking this album or not is a generational thing too. The younger fans seem to really dig it, which is fair enough, but us older ones not so much.

I’m an old fan. I like it. But it’s not the debut or Powerslave. I think it depends on how much you like To Tame a Land or Rime. I think as time has gone on, those songs have become the band’s norm, not just a one-off per album.

• Like 2

Listening to Number of the Beast right now. Is Hallowed Be Thy Name the first hint we got of what people are complaining about with respect to the epics? If so, having bought Beast on the day of release, it was like a sneeze that you don't even think twice about before you get sick.

No, it's not songs like Hallowed. It the Fear Of The Dark song format. Soft, slow, spooky intro followed by the main body of the song which is a faster tempo then ending the song the same as it begins with the outro being a slight variation on the intro. Steve has fallen in love with this format and has used it many times since The X Factor. It's a good song format but hearing it multiple times on every album over the last 20 years gets a bit tiresome.