Rush Songs I Hate

LedRush

Dog Years

The Speed of Love

Second Nature

That's about it, those are the only songs that legitimately hurt my ears and not for the same reason that Vapor Trails and Clockwork Angels hurts people's ears.

I don't hate any of their songs, but there are quite a few that I think aren't quite up to their best.

That's the way I would put it too. There are quite a few songs that do not measure up to what we know they can do, and a lot better.

I think any time they tried to go out of the box and do The Police thing, it was a mistake. That's like the antithesis of what Rush was all about, and what they did the best.

How about in later years?

They're not really doing that anymore. Hold Your Fire and Presto were the worst offenders.

Disagree. Signals was the "worst offender" as you put it and it is brilliant. Signals is littered with reggae and Copeland inspired drums and Andy Summers type guitar.

Sure Signals had all of that but the songwriting was better so it's not as offensive. That's what I was referring to.

Face Up, Tears, Rivendell, most of Counterparts, Roll The Bones, Test For Echo, Presto and Hold Fire are pretty awful. Good News First, Wish Them Well, Bravest Face, Out Of the Cradle and The Stars Look Down are truly dreadful.

• Like 2

Hate is such a strong word.... I don´t hate any Rush song at all, they are all at least good in one way or another.

But my top ten favorites are (kinda...):

The Fountain Of Lamneth

Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres

Cygnus X-1 Book I: The Voyage

La Villa Strangiato

Natural Science

Secret Touch

Closer To The Heart

Circumstances

The Trees

I first began listening to RUSH before I really knew the full extent of what they were all about, musically ... I was just a kid who found certain bands appealing - and RUSH appealed to me because Geddy's voice was completely unique and their music made me feel the same way bands like KISS, Thin Lizzy and Led Zeppelin made me feel ... as a kid of 9 or 10, I didn't understand it, I just knew I liked it ...

So for a few years, I had this bond with this oddball band who had a unique singer that could have been male or female, and rocked as hard as any other band out there ...

A huge part of that bond was lost around 1981-82, and by Grace Under Pressure, I have to admit that RUSH completely lost me ..

I love them, and always will ... But I would be lying if I said that I like ALL their music from all eras ...

I think a true fan will stick with the band thru think and thin - but that doesn't mean we must love everything that they do ...

Not sure if this answers the question, but . . .

Half the World is truly worth of hate. Phoned in drivel, especially lyrically.

I don't REALLY hate much of anything else in their discography. I can ignore most of it (see most of S&A and Presto) and if you can be indifferent toward something you don't really hate it.

hmmm the rush songs i hate.

if i took a gallagher watermelon mallet to a synthesizer would that give you a hint?

:smash:

Edited by 2112FirstStreet

I don't hate any of their songs, but there are quite a few that I think aren't quite up to their best.

That's the way I would put it too. There are quite a few songs that do not measure up to what we know they can do, and a lot better.

I think any time they tried to go out of the box and do the Duran Duran thing, it was a mistake. That's like the antithesis of what Rush was all about, and what they did the best.

So true.

I think any time they tried to go out of the box and do the Duran Duran thing, it was a mistake. That's like the antithesis of what Rush was all about, and what they did the best.

So true.

Now you're being mean to Duran Duran.

Re the mentions of S&A not being that bad, I listened to my virtual Rush LPs, incl S&A, and when the fat is trimmed it is a really good album.

Far Cry

Armor and Sword

The Main Monkey Business

The Way the Wind Blows 24:23

Workin’ Them Angels

The Larger Bowl

Hope

Faithless

Malignant Narcissism

We Hold On 22:55

To the topic, Rush songs I can't listen to: Show Don't Tell, Stick it Out, Superconductor, Neurotica, BU2B. Other duds like Rivendell and Tai Shan are bad but harmless; they don't bother me like those others.

Edited by Rutlefan

only song off counterparts that sounded like a b side was speed of love... totall filler..

couldn't stand alot of vapor trails, although rush hit out of the park with that one cause fans seem to really like that album the best...

I first began listening to RUSH before I really knew the full extent of what they were all about, musically ... I was just a kid who found certain bands appealing - and RUSH appealed to me because Geddy's voice was completely unique and their music made me feel the same way bands like KISS, Thin Lizzy and Led Zeppelin made me feel ... as a kid of 9 or 10, I didn't understand it, I just knew I liked it ...

So for a few years, I had this bond with this oddball band who had a unique singer that could have been male or female, and rocked as hard as any other band out there ...

A huge part of that bond was lost around 1981-82, and by Grace Under Pressure, I have to admit that RUSH completely lost me ..

I love them, and always will ... But I would be lying if I said that I like ALL their music from all eras ...

I think a true fan will stick with the band thru think and thin - but that doesn't mean we must love everything that they do ...

Same experience exactly except replace Thin Lizzy with Aerosmith. LZ, Rush and Aerosmith were my kid holy trinity. They mostly lost me with Signals, went further with GUP, and with PoW it was over. These last few years I've tried hard to like the post-MP stuff with partial success. I don't think I'll ever really appreciate PoW through CP, though I no longer begrudge the people that do. Actually, I only see some of the material as being "bad" (some of the stuff from Presto through CP is terrible, though there's plenty of good stuff too), it's just not my thing I don't think it ever will be. I do like a lot of material from VT on though MP and earlier they were so awesome they'll never touch that again. In fairness though, if LZ has kept making albums those would have never touched their prime stuff either. Same for Pink Floyd, and Aerosmith of course has been an awful parody of themselves. At least Rush didn't become anything like later Aerosmith. They've retained their integrity, and more, making some great stuff lately even if it isn't PeW.

Edited by Rutlefan

Same experience exactly except replace Thin Lizzy with Aerosmith. LZ, Rush and Aerosmith were my kid holy trinity. They mostly lost me with Signals, went further with GUP, and with PoW it was over. These last few years I've tried hard to like the post-MP stuff with partial success. I don't think I'll ever really appreciate PoW through CP, though I no longer begrudge the people that do. Actually, I only see some of the material as being "bad" (some of the stuff from Presto through CP is terrible, though there's plenty of good stuff too), it's just not my thing I don't think it ever will be. I do like a lot of material from VT on though MP and earlier they were so awesome they'll never touch that again. In fairness though, if LZ has kept making albums those would have never touched their prime stuff either. Same for Pink Floyd, and Aerosmith of course has been an awful parody of themselves. At least Rush didn't become anything like later Aerosmith. They've retained their integrity, and more, making some great stuff lately even if it isn't PeW.

Funny stuff. You reminded me that originally, I was confused about Signals when it came out. I expected another exciting, high spirited album, but remember feeling confused/disappointed. It was rather downbeat and had a sort of somber feel to it. They kinda recouped with the electric/mid-80's-style-futuristic P/G album that I still love. Anyway, Signals grew on me and I consider it one of their finest efforts. A real gem.

Edited by GeminiRising79
  • Like 1

So true.

Now you're being mean to Duran Duran.

:LOL:

"how it is"

Bradley Ard

Such a happy sounding song, but with some seriously dark and deep lyrics. It speaks to me on a lot of different levels.

·

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

Steven Hunter

These are maybe the sweetest lyrics Neil ever penned. So beautiful and so deeply personal! I love this song.

·

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

Edited by goose
  • Like 1