Neil torn about touring

dtpoet

Their heart wouldn't be in it.

I think you may have inadvertently said somethng quite profound.

"Their heart". Not "Hearts".

Just the singular.

Then again, maybe that is exactly what you meant.

I meant it the way I wrote it. They always said they functioned as a single unit.

I think this reluctant Neil thing bothers me because I have begun to notice how little warmth people have nowadays and how a lot of folks do things, not because they sincerely want to, but because they feel that they HAVE to. Perfunctory would be a good word to describe what I mean.

I would feel awful sitting in the audience knowing that the band that I love is only up there giving a perfunctory performance.

I hope I am making sense and that what I am trying to say (and feel I am not doing a good job of) is clear. :)

They don't strike me as a band that would go out on tour if they honestly didn't want to or didn't feel like they could put on the best performance they were capable of. I doubt they need the money at this stage in the game.

Just the singular.

I meant it the way I wrote it. They always said they functioned as a single unit.

I think this reluctant Neil thing bothers me because I have begun to notice how little warmth people have nowadays and how a lot of folks do things, not because they sincerely want to, but because they feel that they HAVE to. Perfunctory would be a good word to describe what I mean.

I would feel awful sitting in the audience knowing that the band that I love is only up there giving a perfunctory performance.

I hope I am making sense and that what I am trying to say (and feel I am not doing a good job of) is clear. :)

They don't strike me as a band that would go out on tour if they honestly didn't want to or didn't feel like they could put on the best performance they were capable of. I doubt they need the money at this stage in the game.

It's not the performance. I have no doubt they would always give their best in that respect. It's performing when the heart isn't in it.

Just the singular.

It's not the performance. I have no doubt they would always give their best in that respect. It's performing when the heart isn't in it.

That's what I meant when I said "want to." I think they wouldn't go out if they didn't feel like it was right.

I think he should retire. His family sounds beautiful. He deserves it.
  • Like 1

Well, they've been leaving their families behind for decades now. Why does it disturb him now?

I hope this isn't a serious question. His first family died. He is now 61 (I think) and is starting over again. Why make the same mistake, knowing that there is a good chance that he will be dead by the time his 5-year old is the same age as the daughter who already died.

Yes, it was a serious question. I know his history, which is why I am surprised that he takes the road trips he does and spends any amount of time away from home.

Great points on both sides of this one. His actions indicate he hasn't changed in regards to his seemingly loner ways. Seems he wants some cake and wants to eat it too in this case....

Yep,

And what ever is decided I will be fine with. :rush:

You know it's got to be addictive to go out on that stage and be loved by thousands of adoring fans night after night. I'm sure they'd miss it if they weren't to do it again. They've been in a band practically their entire working lives, it would be really hard to give up I would think.
  • Like 1

You know it's got to be addictive to go out on that stage and be loved by thousands of adoring fans night after night. I'm sure they'd miss it if they weren't to do it again. They've been in a band practically their entire working lives, it would be really hard to give up I would think.

I'd give almost anything just to know what that must feel like myself. To stand on a lighted stage and look out into a sea of thousands and thousands and thousands of faces clapping just for you. It must be quite an "adrenalin surge".

• Like 1

I'd give almost anything just to know what that must feel like myself. To stand on a lighted stage and look out into a sea of thousands and thousands and thousands of faces clapping just for you. It must be quite an "adrenalin surge".

I'll never forget the time I was behind the stage at a concert at the Cincinnati Riverfront Coliseum when the lights went down and the crowd started roaring. It made all of the hairs on my arms stand straight up. It was unbelievable.

• Like 3

I didn't think they were gonna wait this long to throw out dates.

At this point the fans will take anything. What's wrong with a week on (aka 3 shows), week off schedule? Go record two quick new tracks again?

I think it would be a very unlikely event for him to veto any touring in 2015. It might get delayed a bit (longer) but he apparently always reminds himself that "bands tour" and it happens.

Well, they've been leaving their families behind for decades now. Why does it disturb him now? And how about all of his extended trips he takes with his friends? How is touring any different? He is gone a couple of weeks, and gets to go back home for ten days.

Somebody probably adresses this before I'm too lazy to read all pages. Sorry if that's the case :)

But you have to keep in mind what Neil's been through. He now has a chance to "relive" that time of being a father and I would like to think he cherishes every moment he can get. I think it has disturbed all three member of Rush being away from their families but with age they're probably more likely to be vocal about it.

Someone asked Geddy about that and he said he had no real regrets. I don't know about Alex.

If Neil wants to sit home with his family, then that is what he should do.

I think Alex has stated before that he screwed up as a father with his oldest kid, Justin. But he was a very, very young father when he got Charlene pregnant. Their long-lasting marriage is admirable, considering the stresses at the beginning of it. Charlene must be one tough pistola.

Rush doesn't owe anybody anything, I agree, but if they go out like this it will be somewhat of a disappointment without a farewell tour IMO. Just think how much more packed the CA dates would have been had the band announced it was the last tour. I still say no way in hell they are done yet. Just Neil blowing smoke about hating touring as usual.

Rush doesn't owe anybody anything, I agree, but if they go out like this it will be somewhat of a disappointment without a farewell tour IMO. Just think how much more packed the CA dates would have been had the band announced it was the last tour. I still say no way in hell they are done yet. Just Neil blowing smoke about hating touring as usual.

I like what he says here....

http://www.npr.org/2015/01/06/375171736/mystic-rhythms-rushs-neil-peart-on-the-first-rock-drummer

Often, Peart says he dreams of being in the audience of his own Rush show.

"I'd love to observe what we're a part of," he says. "Our band has been together for 40 years, so I sense sometimes when magic is happening. And also, if I was in the audience, I wouldn't have to be working so hard."

Oh, I think they're gonna tour this year. :)

Neil doesn't like touring. Nothing new about that. He likes playing, though. There's a difference.

But as mentioned elsewhere...there's nothing wrong with them scaling back some. Tour for a month, not for a year. Do a two hour set, not a three hour double set. There are ways for Neil Ged and Alex to have their cake and eat it too. They've earned it.

I think this is the reason a lot of bands never retire until they have to. Ya it's often about money I'm sure but I bet a lot of them are just addicted to the attention

• Like 1

I think this is the reason a lot of bands never retire until they have to. Ya it's often about money I'm sure but I bet a lot of them are just addicted to the attention

I have to agree with that....even Neil says he would love to be in the audience to see Rush play. I know I do 49 times since the GUP Tour.

• Like 2

What about making a new album? That won't keep him from his 5 year old daughter, she can even bring them their tea- sorry wine :cosmo: :eyeroll:

Right here. Duck is spot on. Make a new album, preferably Clockwork Angels II. Play a few dates. Make another album.

Oh, I think they're gonna tour this year. :)

Neil doesn't like touring. Nothing new about that. He likes playing, though. There's a difference.

But as mentioned elsewhere...there's nothing wrong with them scaling back some. Tour for a month, not for a year. Do a two hour set, not a three hour double set. There are ways for Neil Ged and Alex to have their cake and eat it too. They've earned it.

Exactly. They can do a shorter tour like they did with the Presto/Counterparts tours. And scaling back to the standard two hour set is fine as well. Wouldnt mind seeing a good opener anyway... Maybe theyll do a short summer-early fall stint then head into the studio for likely their last proper album. We'll find out soon enough.

Edited by greg2112

Yeah i'd be happy if these beautiful guys chose to go out to pasture and enjoy the rest of their lives with family but i think is pretty obvious Al & Ged in particular got a lot of energy left for rush stuff so if Neil up for it i'd like to see them go the whole hog pump out another great rush studio album followed by a tour of whatever length they'd like.

Whatever guys, we love ya whatever, yeah its a bit frustrating as rush heads waiting so long for new material especially but, you given much more than enough already.

Edited by lifeson90

Well, they've been leaving their families behind for decades now. Why does it disturb him now? And how about all of his extended trips he takes with his friends? How is touring any different? He is gone a couple of weeks, and gets to go back home for ten days.

Somebody probably adresses this before I'm too lazy to read all pages. Sorry if that's the case :)

But you have to keep in mind what Neil's been through. He now has a chance to "relive" that time of being a father and I would like to think he cherishes every moment he can get. I think it has disturbed all three member of Rush being away from their families but with age they're probably more likely to be vocal about it.

Someone asked Geddy about that and he said he had no real regrets. I don't know about Alex.

I think Alex has stated before that he screwed up as a father with his oldest kid, Justin. But he was a very, very young father when he got Charlene pregnant. Their long-lasting marriage is admirable, considering the stresses at the beginning of it. Charlene must be one tough pistola.

Their women are rarely mentioned and I understand the reasoning. Their personal life is personal. However, I do think that both Charlene and Nancy should get awards. I can't imagine what both of them have gone through. I could never have done it. It takes a certain type of woman to do what they did.

• Like 2

Their women are rarely mentioned and I understand the reasoning. Their personal life is personal. However, I do think that both Charlene and Nancy should get awards. I can't imagine what both of them have gone through. I could never have done it. It takes a certain type of woman to do what they did.

I agree. For one thing, how many women would trust their husbands out on a tour for months on end? Though I know that this has never been a band that has attracted a huge amount of wild women groupies. But still.

• Like 1

I agree. For one thing, how many women would trust their husbands out on a tour for months on end? Though I know that this has never been a band that has attracted a huge amount of wild women groupies. But still.

ya and then when they come home the wives have to hear," but honey, there's no women in our audience.. no really! you believe me... right... hun.. tell me you believe me.."

• Like 1