Neil torn about touring

dtpoet

Please stay home, Neil. I've been wanting to see a different drummer take your spot in the tours for years.

That's not an option. It's a choice of Neil or nothing. Perhaps you'd like to choose nothing, but I see nothing so bad in his performances that makes me even approach this feeling. Only Geddy's voice moves the needle for me, and even that isn't a close call for me.

He's an extremely skilled drummer, but I find his performance lacking.

JARG, what do you mean by you find his performance lacking?

IMO, there's more to being a performing musician than just the ability to play your instrument well. You also need to get on with the fascination. You need to put on a performance for your audience that lets them know they're hard-earned patronage is appreciated.

Neil fails miserably at this, IMO.

Edited by JARG
  • Like 2

C'mon people....you know a tour will happen. Don't care what Neil says. You think they will go out without a farewell tour of some sort with a TON of money to be made? No way. Just announce it as a farewell tour and watch the record crowds. Book it!

Please stay home, Neil. I've been wanting to see a different drummer take your spot in the tours for years.

That's not an option. It's a choice of Neil or nothing. Perhaps you'd like to choose nothing, but I see nothing so bad in his performances that makes me even approach this feeling. Only Geddy's voice moves the needle for me, and even that isn't a close call for me.

IMO, there's more to being a performing musician than just the ability to play your instrument well. You also need to get on with the fascination. You need to put on a performance for your audience that let's them know they're hard-earned patronage is appreciated.

You post fails miserably IMO. Neil still plays with more energy than the majority of younger drummers out there. I guess he doesn't smile enough for your tastes or something.

• Like 1

IMO, there's more to being a performing musician than just the ability to play your instrument well. You also need to get on with the fascination. You need to put on a performance for your audience that let's them know they're hard-earned patronage is appreciated.

You post fails miserably IMO. Neil still plays with more energy than the majority of younger drummers out there. I guess he doesn't smile enough for your tastes or something.

You got a little brown on your nose there.

• Like 2

I know what I see with my own eyes. Neil was a drumming machine on the CA tour in Indy. Quit comparing 62 year old Neil to 32 year old Neil. He still does a fine job.

I know what I see with my own eyes. Neil was a drumming machine on the CA tour in Indy. Quit comparing 62 year old Neil to 32 year old Neil. He still does a fine job.

Seriously, I've seen every tour from R30 on and Neil beyond impressed me with his performances. Is he the best rock drummer of all-time? I have no idea. I do know he's one of the best rock drummers of all-time. The man is a master.

Edited by ReRushed

Seriously, I've seen every tour from R30 on and Neil beyond impressed me with his performances. Is he the best rock drummer of all-time? I have no idea. I do know he's one of the best rock drummers of all-time. The man is a master.

Yet some people calling for his replacement. Welcome to the internet!

Hey, if they do end up touring a lot of members of our beloved Rush Forum will start to bitch about the setlist and how Geddy can't hit the high notes anymore.

Old Geddy rocks, new Geddy sucks....

Fixed

:tsk:

Geddy is Geddy, no matter his age. Geddy will always rock, no matter his constantly lowering singing range.

• Like 2

C'mon people....you know a tour will happen. Don't care what Neil says. You think they will go out without a farewell tour of some sort with a TON of money to be made? No way. Just announce it as a farewell tour and watch the record crowds. Book it!

Yeah... and after the farewell tour you can always come back as often as you want. Just ask The Who.

• Like 1

Yeah... and after the farewell tour you can always come back as often as you want. Just ask The Who.

Ask a lot of bands on that one! Didn't the Eagles and Kiss do that as well?

Ask half the Who.

• Like 1

Ask half the Who.

But you better ask Roger. Pete's hearing isn't too good.

• Like 1

Well, they've been leaving their families behind for decades now. Why does it disturb him now? And how about all of his extended trips he takes with his friends? How is touring any different? He is gone a couple of weeks, and gets to go back home for ten days.

Somebody probably adresses this before I'm too lazy to read all pages. Sorry if that's the case :)

But you have to keep in mind what Neil's been through. He now has a chance to "relive" that time of being a father and I would like to think he cherishes every moment he can get. I think it has disturbed all three member of Rush being away from their families but with age they're probably more likely to be vocal about it.

For someone who is as obviously uncomfortable with the whole concept of living a public life, I think that we have all been extremely blessed that he has done this for as long as he has. I spent some years of my twenties as a touring musician. It is physically, mentally, and also emotionally draining. It takes a lot out of you. I can't explain why or how, but anyone who has done this at any level will understand.

For those comparing his road trips to touring, one thing should be blatantly obvious. He can call off a road trip at any time. He chooses where, when, for how long etc. Tours don't work that way. It is a huge committment. Can you imagine the uproar if he just turned round half way through and said "I'm done with this tour. That's enough." How do you cancel something that big, ignoring fans even, and just focusing on the people who rely on you for their wage cheque - you know, feeding their kids - and come out the other end feeling okay about yourself? You don't. At least, not a person as dignified and honest as he is.

I hope they are done with the big tours. Hundreds of dates. Hours a night. I would love to see them relieve themselves of that pressure and do the odd week here and there, with as little travelling and time away from home as possible. It makes a lot more sense than piling on the days and then finally sayng - "No more. I can't do it anymore."

We would get short bursts of energy and enthusiasm. More likely than not, it would be an itch that they had to scratch, or even frustrated wives just saying, "Stop banging the spoons on the table like a madman. You are driving me crazy. Go and play a week of gigs."

I don't profess to know what goes through their minds, but as a fan of over thirty years, I know what I would prefer.

To see them happy and healthy, making music when it suits them, hopefully recording another full album to their own timetable, and playing live when the urge compels them to. I have been given a lifetime of happiness by these guys. It has cost me only a couple of hundred euros to own, play, and endlessly replay their entire catalogue. I saw them live once in the late eighties. It is still one of the favourite nights of my musical life.

They don't owe me, as the cliche goes. I would say that I owe them.

(Breathes out)

• Like 4

Well, they've been leaving their families behind for decades now. Why does it disturb him now? And how about all of his extended trips he takes with his friends? How is touring any different? He is gone a couple of weeks, and gets to go back home for ten days.

Somebody probably adresses this before I'm too lazy to read all pages. Sorry if that's the case :)

But you have to keep in mind what Neil's been through. He now has a chance to "relive" that time of being a father and I would like to think he cherishes every moment he can get. I think it has disturbed all three member of Rush being away from their families but with age they're probably more likely to be vocal about it.

Neil has an child. Geddy and Alex's are all grown up. Why wouldn't Neil be torn?

For someone who is as obviously uncomfortable with the whole concept of living a public life, I think that we have all been extremely blessed that he has done this for as long as he has. I spent some years of my twenties as a touring musician. It is physically, mentally, and also emotionally draining. It takes a lot out of you. I can't explain why or how, but anyone who has done this at any level will understand.

For those comparing his road trips to touring, one thing should be blatantly obvious. He can call off a road trip at any time. He chooses where, when, for how long etc. Tours don't work that way. It is a huge committment. Can you imagine the uproar if he just turned round half way through and said "I'm done with this tour. That's enough." How do you cancel something that big, ignoring fans even, and just focusing on the people who rely on you for their wage cheque - you know, feeding their kids - and come out the other end feeling okay about yourself? You don't. At least, not a person as dignified and honest as he is.

I hope they are done with the big tours. Hundreds of dates. Hours a night. I would love to see them relieve themselves of that pressure and do the odd week here and there, with as little travelling and time away from home as possible. It makes a lot more sense than piling on the days and then finally sayng - "No more. I can't do it anymore."

We would get short bursts of energy and enthusiasm. More likely than not, it would be an itch that they had to scratch, or even frustrated wives just saying, "Stop banging the spoons on the table like a madman. You are driving me crazy. Go and play a week of gigs."

I don't profess to know what goes through their minds, but as a fan of over thirty years, I know what I would prefer.

To see them happy and healthy, making music when it suits them, hopefully recording another full album to their own timetable, and playing live when the urge compels them to. I have been given a lifetime of happiness by these guys. It has cost me only a couple of hundred euros to own, play, and endlessly replay their entire catalogue. I saw them live once in the late eighties. It is still one of the favourite nights of my musical life.

They don't owe me, as the cliche goes. I would say that I owe them.

(Breathes out)

:goodone:

I would never begrudge any one of them their retirement. As much as I want to see them in concert, if they chose to call it quits right now, that's fine with me.

And you've never seen them live, correct?

That's mighty big of you to say! I've seen them 10 times and I'm barely that strong :P

No. I am ashamed to say that I have never seen them in concert, and am filled with more regret than you could ever know.

But I am sixty, and I was so worn out this morning that I had a hard time pushing my shopping cart around the store. i can't imagine what it must be like to for Rush doing three hour shows every other night and constant traveling from city to city to country to country.

I do understand where Rush is coming from. Touring takes a lot out of men younger than they are. I can't imagine how it must affect them.

:codger: :goodone:....

I don't feel so bad now, I got into Rush hardcore back in like 1980 or so but Didnt see them until 2002!

I was only interested in their music but for shows I was into Alice Cooper, Motley Crüe etc..

I just saw them together last summer. Great show!

• Like 1

Neil has an child. Geddy and Alex's are all grown up. Why wouldn't Neil be torn?

My point exactly :)

Someone asked Geddy about that and he said he had no real regrets. I don't know about Alex.

If Neil wants to sit home with his family, then that is what he should do.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone here thinks that Rush owes them anything.

Again, speaking only for myself, if they are going to reluctantly tour, then I would rather they didn't. I know they would put on a superb show, but that is not the point. Their heart wouldn't be in it.

Someone asked Geddy about that and he said he had no real regrets. I don't know about Alex.

If Neil wants to sit home with his family, then that is what he should do.

There's no real way I can be sure, so I was second guessing based on how I imagine they would feel about it. But yes, if he want's to be with his family then that's what he should do of course.

Their heart wouldn't be in it.

I think you may have inadvertently said somethng quite profound.

"Their heart". Not "Hearts".

Just the singular.

Then again, maybe that is exactly what you meant.

• Like 2

Their heart wouldn't be in it.

I think you may have inadvertently said somethng quite profound.

"Their heart". Not "Hearts".

Just the singular.

Then again, maybe that is exactly what you meant.

I meant it the way I wrote it. They always said they functioned as a single unit.

I think this reluctant Neil thing bothers me because I have begun to notice how little warmth people have nowadays and how a lot of folks do things, not because they sincerely want to, but because they feel that they HAVE to. Perfunctory would be a good word to describe what I mean.

I would feel awful sitting in the audience knowing that the band that I love is only up there giving a perfunctory performance.

I hope I am making sense and that what I am trying to say (and feel I am not doing a good job of) is clear. :)

• Like 2