Neil torn about touring

dtpoet

They're touring, but Neil is putting some conditions on it, and isn't super excited either way.

If that's the case, why bother?

http://www.tnooz.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/cash-pile.jpg

It always come down to that, doesn't it? I guess it's true that is one thing no one ever seems to have enough of.

I suppose you get used to a certain lifestyle that's expensive to maintain. Just look at the kinds of wine they drink...and the amount. :hic:

The strain of touring in a band for millions of dollars. I'd call that a first world problem.

• Like 1

Please stay home, Neil. I've been wanting to see a different drummer take your spot in the tours for years.

That's not an option. It's a choice of Neil or nothing. Perhaps you'd like to choose nothing, but I see nothing so bad in his performances that makes me even approach this feeling. Only Geddy's voice moves the needle for me, and even that isn't a close call for me.

He's an extremely skilled drummer, but I find his performance lacking.

JARG, what do you mean by you find his performance lacking?

IMO, there's more to being a performing musician than just the ability to play your instrument well. You also need to get on with the fascination. You need to put on a performance for your audience that let's them know they're hard-earned patronage is appreciated.

Neil fails miserably at this, IMO.

You post fails miserably IMO. Neil still plays with more energy than the majority of younger drummers out there. I guess he doesn't smile enough for your tastes or something.

You got a little brown on your nose there.

I know what I see with my own eyes. Neil was a drumming machine on the CA tour in Indy. Quit comparing 62 year old Neil to 32 year old Neil. He still does a fine job.

Seriously, I've seen every tour from R30 on and Neil beyond impressed me with his performances. Is he the best rock drummer of all-time? I have no idea. I do know he's one of the best rock drummers of all-time. The man is a master.

The answer to your question is unquestionably YES. He is the best rock drummer of all-time and most days that isn't even close. There are jazz guys and virtuoso guys who are leagues above. In the theater of rock he is at the head of the pack. People need to remember to look at his entire body of work before saying he isn't. I think lots of other drummers are fabulous, Danny Carey comes to mind, as does Gavin Harrison, Carter Beauford and a number of others. But without Neil's innovations of the 70s, a lot of those guys never would have been inspired to drum the way they do. The same can be said if Neil had never heard Keith Moon or Jon Bonham.

They're touring, but Neil is putting some conditions on it, and isn't super excited either way.

It always come down to that, doesn't it? I guess it's true that is one thing no one ever seems to have enough of.

I suppose you get used to a certain lifestyle that's expensive to maintain. Just look at the kinds of wine they drink...and the amount. :hic:

The strain of touring in a band for millions of dollars. I'd call that a first world problem.

I remember watching an interview with Justin Hayward and he said the same thing. He said that when you start making loads of money, you develop a certain type of lifestyle. Then, you want to maintain that lifestyle, so you have to keep generating the same amount of money to do so.

When are they gonna unleash some albums as good as 2112, Hemispheres, A Farewell to Kings, Caress of Steel, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures?? :smash:

You left out Signals. :cool:

And Fly by Night! http://www.runnergirlz.com/mwf/default/sml_owl.gif

• Like 2

I remember watching an interview with Justin Hayward and he said the same thing. He said that when you start making loads of money, you develop a certain type of lifestyle. Then, you want to maintain that lifestyle, so you have to keep generating the same amount of money to do so.

Don't forget all that touring around Neil does on his bike and in his car. Gas ain't cheap. :)

So what's the bottom line with the angry mechanic with the purple potato nose?

Is he going to retire or is he going to half ass it for cash??????

I think he would prefer to stay home with Carrie and Olivia.

Let's face it folks. Neil is very lucky to have a loving family again.

If anyone deserves it it's him!!

My gut tells me they will all tour again but you never know...............................

Retire Neil!! Thanks for the 57 drum solos I saw live! I will always love you, you big angry mechanic!!

Go smoke some red apples on the Santa Monica Pier and drink your scotch you red bloated cherry tomato man! LOL!

I haven't looked at this thread for a few days now, but I just wanted to say that Earl, you made me laugh out loud here! :P

Must be drummers' humor! ;)

Hahaha! Thanks buddy! Yep! Drummer's humor! Fukking drummers man! We are a strange breed.

My wife goes to bed now at 11. I am still cranking tunes and wanting to hit my drum kit.

I'm single in a marriage. So healthy right?

Cursed.

• Like 1

When are they gonna unleash some albums as good as 2112, Hemispheres, A Farewell to Kings, Caress of Steel, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures?? :smash:

Hey, nobody told Van Gogh, "Paint another Starry Night, man!"

:P

I'm not trying to be a wise-acre, but that never stopped him from touring before. When did he get married again? 2000 or thereabouts? How many tours have they done the past fifteen years? His daughter was born before CA tour and that didn't stop him from doing that tour.

I agree he is most fortunate to have a family again, but I don't understand why all of a sudden it is stopping him. it's not like they materialized in the past year suddenly.

:huh:

I'm not trying to be a wise-acre, but that never stopped him from touring before. When did he get married again? 2000 or thereabouts? How many tours have they done the past fifteen years? His daughter was born before CA tour and that didn't stop him from doing that tour.

I agree he is most fortunate to have a family again, but I don't understand why all of a sudden it is stopping him. it's not like they materialized in the past year suddenly.

Well I think it's because she's finally at the age that she's a little person. From the way he writes about her in his blog it sounds like she's going to be a little Neil. I have a feeling he appreciates this family more since he lost the last one.

Well I think it's because she's finally at the age that she's a little person. From the way he writes about her in his blog it sounds like she's going to be a little Neil. I have a feeling he appreciates this family more since he lost the last one.

I hope so.

• Like 1