Neil torn about touring

dtpoet

Well, I'm sure they will do their routine of a few shows, then a few days off, so he will have a chance to see his kid during the tour.

If he were willing to give up the motorcycling part of the tour, he could actually fly home when there are 3 days between gigs, as there often are. I know how he likes to do things on his own terms, but if he wants to tour and be with his family, there is a way. He just has to choose it.

• Like 7

There is nothing wrong with how he feels.

As a family man, I couldn't imagine being away from my family for long periods of time...especially my little daughter.

I'm sure people will say the usual "suck it up...you chose to be a musician...it comes with the lifestyle"...and he has. He's just being honest about how he feels, and regardless of being a musician, it doesn't make it any easier when you leave your family behind.

• Like 4

I say like this, I think Rush should quit now.

I believe they still can make more great music and still play live great (even Geddy's voice can make it for a few more years I think). But it dosent seem like they enjoy it as much as they used to anymore, so then it wont be the same thing.

Ofcourse I would get sad if they quit, but at the same time I want them to fell good and enjoy life as well! And besides, they have been playing for 40 years and maked great music during these years, so its not like they owe us fans anything or something like that!

Ofcourse they could release all their unreleased live-stuff before they quit! :P

• Like 1

Well, they've been leaving their families behind for decades now. Why does it disturb him now? And how about all of his extended trips he takes with his friends? How is touring any different? He is gone a couple of weeks, and gets to go back home for ten days.
  • Like 4

I think I get it. I still just have trouble leaving my son to go to work. And thats just for 8 hours. I wouldn't begrudge Neil at this point after what hes been through. I do want to see them at least one more time though. Its not going to kill me if I don't.
  • Like 6

There is nothing wrong with how he feels.

As a family man, I couldn't imagine being away from my family for long periods of time...especially my little daughter.

I'm sure people will say the usual "suck it up...you chose to be a musician...it comes with the lifestyle"...and he has. He's just being honest about how he feels, and regardless of being a musician, it doesn't make it any easier when you leave your family behind.

Exactly. When I hear "comes with the lifestyle" now in reference to peart I laugh.

Most 62 year olds are retired and most rock drummers are dead before they're even 62.. But we on TRF actually have to debate on whether he's worse than he was in the 70's ..or better! And he's 62!

Peart doesn't owe anyone anything that's for sure

• Like 6

another tour and two albums would be cool though (just in case he sees this..) how bout it Neil.. Do me a solid bro.? ;)

None of them do.

But, we are getting mixed messages here. I thought that in early December Geddy said that he and Alex were waiting for Neil to come up to Toronto so they could discuss their next step - tour or not. Then, a meet and greet for their next tour gets auctioned off for charity for $14,000. Then, we get two tour dates listed by Ticketmaster last week. Now, this brief Neil interview.

What is going on?

• Like 3

I think I get it. I still just have trouble leaving my son to go to work. And thats just for 8 hours. I wouldn't begrudge Neil at this point after what hes been through. I do want to see them at least one more time though. Its not going to kill me if I don't.

Thats exactly my perception on this. Being away from your children for eight hours a day is tough enough; time flies where kids are concerned.

So all things considered, it must be a huge dilemma, a very tough decision.

Well, they've been leaving their families behind for decades now. Why does it disturb him now? And how about all of his extended trips he takes with his friends? How is touring any different? He is gone a couple of weeks, and gets to go back home for ten days.

Yeah, seems he writes frequently about all these road trips he takes, without his family, when he is not touring. That always seemed odd to me. Seems being away from the family only bothers him when its touring related.

• Like 3

Well, they've been leaving their families behind for decades now. Why does it disturb him now?

I hope this isn't a serious question. His first family died. He is now 61 (I think) and is starting over again. Why make the same mistake, knowing that there is a good chance that he will be dead by the time his 5-year old is the same age as the daughter who already died.

Please stay home, Neil. I've been wanting to see a different drummer take your spot in the tours for years.

That's not an option. It's a choice of Neil or nothing. Perhaps you'd like to choose nothing, but I see nothing so bad in his performances that makes me even approach this feeling. Only Geddy's voice moves the needle for me, and even that isn't a close call for me.

• Like 2

None of them do.

But, we are getting mixed messages here. I thought that in early December Geddy said that he and Alex were waiting for Neil to come up to Toronto so they could discuss their next step - tour or not. Then, a meet and greet for their next tour gets auctioned off for charity for $14,000. Then, we get two tour dates listed by Ticketmaster last week. Now, this brief Neil interview.

What is going on?

They're touring, but Neil is putting some conditions on it, and isn't super excited either way. He's also probably sending the message that the others shouldn't assume that he's going on with the cycle as usual.

Well, they've been leaving their families behind for decades now. Why does it disturb him now?

I hope this isn't a serious question. His first family died. He is now 61 (I think) and is starting over again. Why make the same mistake, knowing that there is a good chance that he will be dead by the time his 5-year old is the same age as the daughter who already died.

Yes, it was a serious question. I know his history, which is why I am surprised that he takes the road trips he does and spends any amount of time away from home.

None of them do.

What is going on?

They're touring, but Neil is putting some conditions on it, and isn't super excited either way. He's also probably sending the message that the others shouldn't assume that he's going on with the cycle as usual.

Good point Lorraine.

Maybe they're creating confusion so we'll be all the more surprised/relieved when the do announce it.. !

Yes, it was a serious question. I know his history, which is why I am surprised that he takes the road trips he does and spends any amount of time away from home.

Two things:

1. He values his personal trips more than his time touring;

2. His personal trips are completely under his control and usually far shorter than the touring times.

• Like 2