The David Bowie Thread

ReRushed

For those of you here who are experts in all things Bowie, is there any difference in the sound of the Aladdin Sane CD in its three editions?

I believe the newest one (2015) is supposed to be the definitive remix. I couldn't tell much of a difference. It sounds good and it was the cheapest one

• Like 1

Anybody hear the 3 bonus tracks released with the Lazarus soundtrack? They're supposed to be among the final songs he recorded. And they're fully produced and complete too, they didn't have to tinker with them like Lennon's demo tapes for the Beatles Anthology set.

For those of you here who are experts in all things Bowie, is there any difference in the sound of the Aladdin Sane CD in its three editions?

I believe the newest one (2015) is supposed to be the definitive remix. I couldn't tell much of a difference. It sounds good and it was the cheapest one

It's the 40th Anniversary Remaster?

Edited by Lorraine

It's the 40th Anniversary Remaster?

Yeah I think so. I believe it was remixed/remastered with the 5 Years box set

Been on a big Bowie kick the past few days. Learned the Rebel Rebel riff from ear/memory, listened to ChangesBowie with Dad on my way home, been listening to a lot of Diamond Dogs cuz I just got it, listened back through all of the albums of his that I own slightly over a week ago, played an acoustic rendition of Space Oddity live for lots of friends and peers last Thursday night while still on campus, and just in general have had lots and lots of Bowie running through my head. Now I remember why I decided he's my fifth favorite artist, and why it isn't Yes, or Weezer, or Aerosmith, or Floyd, or the Beatles, or something else not quite up to snuff. Also Bowie had one of the few truly inspiring careers in the rock and roll cannon, especially at the end last year. Reminds me so much of Freddie, but he did things very differently nonetheless which I also admire.

Plus he played sax, and I play sax, and that's awesome.

• Like 2

David Bowie had a good heart. Here and there, since his passing, I've read this and that about how he helped this one and that one.

Here's a video of him doing All The Young Dudes. He wrote the song and gave it to Mott The Hoople when their career was about to tank to do.

Rest in peace, David. :rose:

Look at the sea of people in this audience:

• Like 2

I'm finally putting my posters back up in my room that I finally got to retrieve from my dorm a couple weeks ago. I had bought an absolutely killer Bowie poster early last school year at a poster fair, and I have now given it the prime real estate on my wall previously allocated to like my third or fourth Rush poster. Moving a Rush poster aside is a pretty big deal, but that's Bowie for you.

24-1424-david-bowie-tribute-600x600.jpg

• Like 2

Just spun the studio & live albums from the “Berlin Years” today...pure genius.

After the trainwreck of Young Americans, Station to Station and 'The Berlin Trilogy' restored my faith in Bowie.
  • Like 1

An amusing story is Stevie Ray Vaughan being upset when David Bowie was playing his guitar solos in the 'Let's Dance' video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbD_kBJc_gI

His comment was "Bowie stole my licks".

Vaughan was probably oblivious that lip-syncing and miming in instrumental performance and finger-syncing had occurred.

Thankfully Bruce Springsteen didn't get flack for miming Nils Lofgren's guitar solos in the 'Tunnel of Love' video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4K7XZGeHTE

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

An amusing story is Stevie Ray Vaughan being upset when David Bowie was playing his guitar solos in the 'Let's Dance' video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbD_kBJc_gI

His comment was "Bowie stole my licks".

Vaughan was probably oblivious that lip-syncing and miming in instrumental performance and finger-syncing had occurred.

Thankfully Bruce Springsteen didn't get flack for miming Nils Lofgren's guitar solos in the 'Tunnel of Love' video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4K7XZGeHTE

Maybe that's why the only Bruce album I own is Tunnel of Love and I own every Nils and Grin albums. hmmm, interesting.

I was front row at The Bottom Line to see Nils with Eddie Money as the opener.

Eddie was new and touring to support is debut album. Eddie was killer !!!

Nils had his trampoline.

50724766876_a0a3ae459b.jpg

Edited by custom55
  • Like 1

I have been going through his discography for the first time and have heard all the way up to Young Americans so far. I very much like all I have heard. Both his musical and vocal versatility is like no one else. The Man Who Sold The World and Ziggy Stardust are my favorite albums from this bunch. Looking forward to hearing this Berlin trilogy that seems to have gotten a lot of praise.
  • Like 2

I have been going through his discography for the first time and have heard all the way up to Young Americans so far. I very much like all I have heard. Both his musical and vocal versatility is like no one else. The Man Who Sold The World and Ziggy Stardust are my favorite albums from this bunch. Looking forward to hearing this Berlin trilogy that seems to have gotten a lot of praise.

Oooh, you're on the verge of a total change heading into the next batch albums. Station To Station manages to combine the soul of Young Americans with something new and unusual for Bowie, as well as a bit of leftover glam here and there, but by the time you hit Low he's completely changed, especially side two. I'm excited to see how you react to it. These will be the albums that do the most heavy lifting to bring Let's Dance era Bowie out from Ziggy Stardust era.

• Like 2

Anyone listen to the new 50th anniversary mix of The Man Who Sold The World yet? It came out a month or two ago under the album's original title, Metrobolist. After All is the only one that is the same as the original master.

I'm getting this next week as I'm a Bowie completist & TMWSTW is one of my fave albums too.

• Like 2

I have now heard Station To Station and the Berlin trilogy. Station To Station is really good. The title track and Word On A Wing are my favorites.

Low, yuck! Not my thing at all. Got pretty boring hearing all those ambient tracks. Same for Heroes. It's a little bit better thanks to the amazing title track but all this ambient stuff had me hitting the skip button faster than I can recall in quite some time. Lodger is good. It's nice that Bowie remembered that his lyrics and what he can do vocally is a huge part of what makes him so different from his peers.

Onto the 80s now.

• Like 2

I have now heard Station To Station and the Berlin trilogy. Station To Station is really good. The title track and Word On A Wing are my favorites.

Low, yuck! Not my thing at all. Got pretty boring hearing all those ambient tracks. Same for Heroes. It's a little bit better thanks to the amazing title track but all this ambient stuff had me hitting the skip button faster than I can recall in quite some time. Lodger is good. It's nice that Bowie remembered that his lyrics and what he can do vocally is a huge part of what makes him so different from his peers.

Onto the 80s now.

I thought you might not like them as well. Maybe give the first half of Low and Heroes another spin to see if any of the more "songy" songs start to grow on you. Its very shocking to hear those for the first time after Ziggy. Glad you loved Station To Station. I agree its better than the Berlin trilogy. Scary Monsters should be interesting, not sure what you'll think of it. Let's Dance should be an easy one to like though.

• Like 1