The David Bowie Thread

ReRushed

Cat, Turbine Freight, how do you guys rank the studio albums?

Yikes!

I’ll have to give this some thought.

Do I rank them what I consider the best to worst?

or

Do I rank them according to my favourites?

Either way is not going to be easy.

• Like 1

Yikes!

or

Of course, lol. Take your time.

• Like 1

Hmm, looking through lots of live albums again. Did Bowie never play Drive In Saturday live before the VH1 storytellers gig?
  • Like 1

Hmm, looking through lots of live albums again. Did Bowie never play Drive In Saturday live before the VH1 storytellers gig?

He played it in Toronto on the DD tour June 16, 1974 evening show. Not sure how often it was in the set list

• Like 3

While it may not be one hundred percent accurate, according to setlist FM the last time the song was played was in 1999. They only have it listed as being played a total of 45 times overall. I don't know if Bowie rotated songs in his sets frequently but if he didn't that could be a pretty accurate number.

• Like 2

http://youtu.be/8oTpWm2yOCs

That's lovely! Obviously someone didn't heed Mr. Bowie's advice at the start there about tape recorders... but I'm sure glad they didn't! Wonderful to hear how even such a weird song as Drive In Saturday started out as a pretty folk ballad. Those chord changes though... really this one belongs in my top ten Bowie tunes... but what doesn't!

Yikes!

or

Of course, lol. Take your time.

So... decided on a ranking yet? :bump:

Also, was talking to The Cat and Turbine Freight a while back about Bowie box set and live recs. Well the time has come! For my birthday I received:

Stage 2017 edition (on vinyl)

Welcome To The Blackout (on CD)

and...

CONVERSATION PIECE!

So so excited to start digging through these, Conversation Piece especially. Played a bit of Stage in the background while playing video games with a friend earlier, and it's sounding like exactly what I was hoping for.

• Like 2

https://www.nme.com/...eleased-3057633

And another box set but with his 90s albums.

The positive here is this means new vinyl pressings of albums from that time when artists stopped putting out vinyl records are coming into existence, so even for a more straightforward completionist (who doesn't want every single boxset and doohickey, but would like to have every relevant album in their collection, and on vinyl if possible... not unlike myself) this is perhaps the most important of the boxsets so far. Will I be buying it? Unlikely. It will be expensive and by the time I have that much throw away money it will likely be out of stock. But I would probably get it if I could afford it so I don't have to go tracking all of those albums down on vinyl.

The positive here is this means new vinyl pressings of albums from that time when artists stopped putting out vinyl records are coming into existence, so even for a more straightforward completionist (who doesn't want every single boxset and doohickey, but would like to have every relevant album in their collection, and on vinyl if possible... not unlike myself) this is perhaps the most important of the boxsets so far. Will I be buying it? Unlikely. It will be expensive and by the time I have that much throw away money it will likely be out of stock. But I would probably get it if I could afford it so I don't have to go tracking all of those albums down on vinyl.

Apparently, the CD of BTWN includes two songs that weren't on the vinyl pressing in 1993.

• Like 1

Apparently, the CD of BTWN includes two songs that weren't on the vinyl pressing in 1993.

Maybe the new pressing will have those songs!