The David Bowie Thread

ReRushed

Since we're on the subject of Let's Dance, I listened to it for the first time and besides China Girl and Ricochet there wasn't anything else I cared for. Yeah, just a bland pop album that is well below his standards. I didn't even know that Modern Love was his song. I just thought it was done by some 80s one hit wonder due to how unbelievably mainstream that song is. Did he borrow that from Phil Collins or something? That would have been a great Collins song.

Scary Monsters on the other hand is really good. I forgot that I knew Fashion until I heard it here. The first song is kind of weird with the Japanese spoken word parts. I think the album does have some of the magic that his best 70s material has. Definitely an album that will get more listens. Especially since I need to get the bad taste of Let's Dance out of my mouth.

Since we're on the subject of Let's Dance, I listened to it for the first time and besides China Girl and Ricochet there wasn't anything else I cared for. Yeah, just a bland pop album that is well below his standards. I didn't even know that Modern Love was his song. I just thought it was done by some 80s one hit wonder due to how unbelievably mainstream that song is. Did he borrow that from Phil Collins or something? That would have been a great Collins song.

Scary Monsters on the other hand is really good. I forgot that I knew Fashion until I heard it here. The first song is kind of weird with the Japanese spoken word parts. I think the album does have some of the magic that his best 70s material has. Definitely an album that will get more listens. Especially since I need to get the bad taste of Let's Dance out of my mouth.

Scary Monsters is probably my favorite album by him. I'd say it gets pretty hit or miss from there on. If you don't find as much to like in the 80s/90s, his post-2000 work is really consistently good.

If you want a really divisive, off the walls album, he wrote an industrial rock album called Earthling after touring with Trent Reznor.

I'm leaning towards Scary Monsters being his catchiest album. It's got the pop accessibility but the songs still have that adventurous side he's so well known for.

You know, that very well might be so. Incredible it starts off him screaming almost out of key while Robert Fripp goes on playing musical gibberish in the background till Bowie yells for him to shut up. That said it might be my favorite song, lol.

I have now heard Station To Station and the Berlin trilogy. Station To Station is really good. The title track and Word On A Wing are my favorites.

Low, yuck! Not my thing at all. Got pretty boring hearing all those ambient tracks. Same for Heroes. It's a little bit better thanks to the amazing title track but all this ambient stuff had me hitting the skip button faster than I can recall in quite some time. Lodger is good. It's nice that Bowie remembered that his lyrics and what he can do vocally is a huge part of what makes him so different from his peers.

Onto the 80s now.

Let's Dance should be an easy one to like though.

Let's Dance is the best sellout album by anyone. That is an example of it being done the right way where others have failed.

it’s a great album, probably my second favorite Bowie album. Why do you say it’s a “sellout” album?

I find Let's Dance one of his worst albums. The start of a tepid and underwhelming run of albums. I find the production to be cold and uninviting. I do think he wanted to sell a lot of records in the 1980s and as a result we got the worst run of albums in his career.

I couldn't disagree with you more. One of the beauties of art.

Yep, whereas Tonight was hit or miss and Never Let Me Down was so bad that even Bowie wasn't too fond of it.

I'm leaning towards Scary Monsters being his catchiest album. It's got the pop accessibility but the songs still have that adventurous side he's so well known for.

You know, that very well might be so. Incredible it starts off him screaming almost out of key while Robert Fripp goes on playing musical gibberish in the background till Bowie yells for him to shut up. That said it might be my favorite song, lol.

And the juxtaposition of it at the end with a quieter version was nice as well.

• Like 1

And the juxtaposition of it at the end with a quieter version was nice as well.

Oh I love the recap at the end. Best thing in the second half.

• Like 1

Why do you say it’s a “sellout” album?

Yes I don't get that either.

Because the Art was gone, it was strictly accessible pop rock. Some of it very good but it didn't have the mysterious interesting elements of his previous 5 records. It was kind of a "Young Americans" record for the 80's - which means it wasn't as good as YA either. Bowie even admitted himself. as well as Nile Rodgers has stated. Bowie wanted to get to the next level in sales and popularity. And he succeeded admirably. He then completely dialed it back with the follow up album, unfortunately it just wasn't a very good record. The dreadful eighties, but things picked up once Tin Machine came about

I wouldn't go that far. It's a far more commercial outing than really anything he'd done previously, sure. But the art was still there when the album cut of the massive hit title track goes on for 7 minutes just jamming and another one of the hit singles features an unnerving spoken word passage (China Girl), or when it contains a song like Ricochet at all.

Plus, China Girl was written years before it for Iggy Pop's album, The Idiot.

• Like 1

I have now heard Station To Station and the Berlin trilogy. Station To Station is really good. The title track and Word On A Wing are my favorites.

Low, yuck! Not my thing at all. Got pretty boring hearing all those ambient tracks. Same for Heroes. It's a little bit better thanks to the amazing title track but all this ambient stuff had me hitting the skip button faster than I can recall in quite some time. Lodger is good. It's nice that Bowie remembered that his lyrics and what he can do vocally is a huge part of what makes him so different from his peers.

Onto the 80s now.

I almost forgot, if you dug Lodger and the straightforward songs on "Heroes", you should check out The Idiot and Lust For Life by Iggy Pop. Bowie produced those albums in Berlin and wrote a lot of the music.

• Like 3