Cover versions of songs that aren't as good as the original

I think a lot of people on here would agree that most covers aren't as good as the original. I hate it when they play them on the radio. Here are some examples:

Come Together - Aerosmith

I wouldn't really consider myself a fan of the Beatles, but I can't understand why they play the Aerosmith version of this song on the radio. The original is way better.

Love song - 311

Not much needs to be said here. Again, there is no reason to play this on the radio when the original is much better.

Every cover that Metallica has done.

I like Metallica, but I 100% agree with you. The original version of Astronomy is way better than their cover of it. They should stick to their own songs, preferably the ones before 1991.

Edited by Dark Lord von Crayola
  • Like 2

A better discussion would be covers that are better than the originals. A band doing a cover that is not as good as the original is a long, long list.

All Along the Watchtower, Buckley's Hallelujah, a few of the Priest covers, and uhh...*crickets*

• Like 1

A better discussion would be covers that are better than the originals. A band doing a cover that is not as good as the original is a long, long list.

There was a thread for exactly that. In fact when I first opened this thread I thought it was inspired by that one, and this would just act as a place we could list the opposite.

I can't seem to find it though. This one isn't it, but it comes close:

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/85983-favorite-covers/page__st__20

I disagree. I actually really like their covers of Turn the Page, Remember Tomorrow, Last Caress, and Child in Time.

Edited by adace1

Great call.

Metallica have ruined a ton of classic songs with their rubbish versions.

Metallica has covered some real obscure bands who otherwise would have never been known if it weren't for them. So while you may not think their versions are that good, you have to admit that they made a number of bands more well known by covering them. Who the hell knew who Diamond Head was before Metallica covered their stuff?

Great call.

Who the hell knew who Diamond Head was before Metallica covered their stuff?

Are you kidding? Really?

Every rock/metal fan in England knew exactly who Diamond Head was before Metallica had even formed. Jesus H Christ.

Edited by Turbine Freight

Great call.

Who the hell knew who Diamond Head was before Metallica covered their stuff?

Are you kidding? Really?

Every rock/metal fan in England knew exactly who Diamond Head was before Metallica had even formed. Jesus H Christ.

Well, that may have been the case over in England but from interviews i've seen from Metallica, nobody here in America knew that half their set in the early days was Diamond Head covers. The fans thought they were Metallica tunes. Since they're from England, it's no surprise that you would know who they were back when they started. But over here in America, Diamond Head never even made it and their biggest claim to fame is that Metallica recorded/performs covers from them.

So, I should've said that hardly anybody in America knew who Diamond Head was before Metallica raised their profile by covering a number of their songs throughout their career.

Edited by J2112YYZ

I'm not a Metallica fan, really. I own the black album, and that's it. However, I will stick up for them and say I think their cover of Turn the Page is really good.

But it doesn't sound anything LIKE the Rush version...not even close :no:

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 2

Metallica has officially released so many cover songs for some reason. I don't think any of them are really that special, or add much to the song. I get pissed every time I have to hear the Turn the Page cover because why would anyone want to hear any Bob Seger song done by anyone else. I give 'em credit for trying, but 'Tallica take all of the soul out of that song. I don't even particularly like that song as much as other Seger stuff, but the one thing it has going for it is Bob's soulful, emotive delivery. Hetfield can't even come close. I listened to their cover of BOC's Astronomy once.... I'd rather not talk about it. They did a cover of Thin Lizzy's Whiskey in the Jar, and it wasn't much to write home about, but I will give props for doing the guitar solo pretty much note for note like Eric Bell on the original.

One song that has been killing my soul lately is the Joan Baez cover of The Band's The Night they Drove Old Dixie Down. That song plays over the speakers at my work on a regular basis and it hurts so bad to listen to. Talk about taking all the emotion out of a song. She doesn't even get the words right. She took a dump all over a masterpiece and that is absolutely unforgivable. At least Metallica never did anything that heinous.

• Like 1