Cover versions of songs that aren't as good as the original

Truly awful, but truly awful isn't too hard to find (just go to any high school talent show); what's great about this is that the band looks so serious, as if they have no idea how bad they are. They are either absurdly clueless, or they are comedic masters of dry wit.

I abhor those covers that don't try to re-interpret the song but rather are used as a way for an otherwise talent-less band to get airplay. A few years ago a cover of "Give a Little Bit" and "What I Like About You" got a lot of airplay (I'd hear them at baseball games or at Bed, Bath and Beyond). They didn't sound any different that the originals, they just sounded thinner and not nearly as good. Currently, someone (female singer) has a cover of "Here Comes the Sun" getting played over restaurant satellite radio. No different from original except in the execution, which sucks. I'll forgive a suck-y cover if it was an attempt to change the original up some.

I'm not a Metallica fan, really. I own the black album, and that's it. However, I will stick up for them and say I think their cover of Turn the Page is really good.

But it doesn't sound anything LIKE the Rush version...not even close :no:

I like rush's turn the page more than metallica's OR seger's

Every cover that Metallica has done.

Great call.

Metallica have ruined a ton of classic songs with their rubbish versions.

Who the hell knew who Diamond Head was before Metallica covered their stuff?

Are you kidding? Really?

Every rock/metal fan in England knew exactly who Diamond Head was before Metallica had even formed. Jesus H Christ.

diamond head weren't/aren't popular in the US... the only nwobhm bands that ended up being successful over here are maiden, motorhead and def leppard (and def leppard had to stop playing heavy music to get popular over here).

Edited by bathory

Every cover that Metallica has done.

Great call.

Metallica have ruined a ton of classic songs with their rubbish versions.

Who the hell knew who Diamond Head was before Metallica covered their stuff?

Are you kidding? Really?

Every rock/metal fan in England knew exactly who Diamond Head was before Metallica had even formed. Jesus H Christ.

diamond head weren't/aren't popular in the US... the only nwobhm bands that ended up being successful over here are maiden, motorhead and def leppard (and def leppard had to stop playing heavy music to get popular over here).

I know. I was actually there at the time. Diamond Head's career came to an abrupt halt on the Canterbury tour in England,but they were the next big thing from the White Promo album through the Borrowed Time period until Canterbury killed them off. To say no-one ever heard of them until Metallica did covers is wrong.

Being born in Detroit and raised with the sounds of Motown I have a particular loathing for Motown covers by white folks. Most are bland, and some are downright pain inducing, such as The 4 Tops "Reach Out (I'll Be There)" as done by Michael Bolton.