Autism

GhostGirl

the Disneyland experiment was a huge success! http://usera.ImageCave.com/RolindaBonz/Rolinda2/mickeyvacation.gif

i had been wondering if Tim would be able to handle an airplane trip. scared.gif

his vestibular system is extremely sensitive, and its tough on EVERYBODY when he has to wait in line for extended periods of time.

so i picked Disneyland because its only an hour flight and close enough to drive back home if the ride there proved to be too stressful.

and i bought trip insurance. wink.gif

it was extremely noisy and overstimulating at the arrival and departure curbs of the airports, but once we got out of the NOISE, he was fine.

Tim is uncomfortable holding hands which is unnerving in the airport for any parent.

but Tyler, my older son (now 17), and i tag-teamed the poor boy, and Timothy gained no freedoms. laugh.gif

by the grace of God, going thru Security only took us about 20 minutes from start to finish each time.

i kept him fed every 2 hrs and gave him lollipops on the airplane to ease the change in pressure. he did complain once or twice on the way back into PHX tho sad.gif

as it turns out, California is very special-needs-friendly. we were blessed to enjoy Holiday Inn's Movie/Pool party on friday night.

we swam while they showed The Princess and The Frog on a pool side screen, gave out beaded necklaces, popped popcorn, and invited everyone to ice and decorate a cookie. http://usera.ImageCave.com/RolindaBonz/Rolinda2/mickeymouse.gif

major kudos to Disneyland for providing us with a free special needs family pass that allowed us to use the FastPass lanes which had very minimal waiting to get on the rides.

they also gave Timothy a birthday button to wear, because he was turning 11. http://usera.ImageCave.com/RolindaBonz/Rolinda2/mickey.gif <--Tim

Tim LUV'd the rollercoasters. We hit Pirates of the Carribean (i sat down into a puddle as soon as we got on the ride sarcasm.gif ), Thunder Mountain (i got splashed twice sarcasm.gif ) , The Matterhorn, Space Mountain (won't do that one again, the flash bulb in the dark left Timothy stunned for about 20 minutes), Autopia (yes, Timothy DROVE applaudit.gif ) Splash Mountain (i got drenched sarcasm.gif ), Haunted Mansion (kinda scary for Tim), Disneyland Railroad (we went around the park TWICE) and the Jungle Cruise with its cheesy jokes. (me and Tyler luv'd those laugh.gif )

Then we jammed past the parade for Disneyland's 55th Birthday and across the mall to California Adventure. We road the Grizzly River Rafts (guess who got soaked? sarcasm.gif ), California Screamin (!!! seerious coastage !!!) and Soaring (vereh nice).

Then we "lost" Tim for about 30 seconds, which was terrifying. Tyler had been taking Tim to the men's rooms all along on the trip, and this time,

Tim had to go so bad that he didn't wait up for Tyler. Except that Tim dashed into the Women's Room instead,

and we had a moment of panic until we heard him "humming" and tracked him down. *whew*

We left after that. yes.gif

I had wanted to take Tim on the Monorail after I figured out that was what he was asking for, calling it "bullet train". like *duh*, mom eyesre4.gif

next year for sure! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif he has already asked me about 20 times today for "Disneyland". laugh.gif

poor kid's gonna hafta wait a while, but we will DEFINITELY go back.

http://usera.ImageCave.com/RolindaBonz/Rolinda2/mm-stmbt.gif

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Jul 19 2010, 03:27 PM)
the Disneyland experiment was a huge success! http://usera.ImageCave.com/RolindaBonz/Rolinda2/mickeyvacation.gif
i had been wondering if Tim would be able to handle an airplane trip. scared.gif
his vestibular system is extremely sensitive, and its tough on EVERYBODY when he has to wait in line for extended periods of time.
so i picked Disneyland because its only an hour flight and close enough to drive back home if the ride there proved to be too stressful.

it was extremely noisy and overstimulating at the arrival and departure curbs of the airports, but once we got out of the NOISE, he was fine.
Tim is uncomfortable holding hands which is unnerving in the airport for any parent.
but Tyler, my older son (now 17), and i tag-teamed the poor boy, and Timothy gained no freedoms. laugh.gif
by the grace of God, going thru Security only took us about 20 minutes from start to finish each time.
i kept him fed every 2 hrs and gave him lollipops on the airplane to ease the change in pressure. he did complain once or twice on the way back into PHX tho sad.gif

as it turns out, California is very special-needs-friendly. we were blessed to enjoy Holiday Inn's Movie/Pool party on friday night.
we swam while they showed The Princess and The Frog on a pool side screen, gave out beaded necklaces, popped popcorn, and invited everyone to ice and decorate a cookie. http://usera.ImageCave.com/RolindaBonz/Rolinda2/mickeymouse.gif
major kudos to Disneyland for providing us with a free special needs family pass that allowed us to use the FastPass lanes which had very minimal waiting to get on the rides.
they also gave Timothy a birthday button to wear, because he was turning 11. http://usera.ImageCave.com/RolindaBonz/Rolinda2/mickey.gif <--Tim

Tim LUV'd the rollercoasters. We hit Pirates of the Carribean (i sat down into a puddle as soon as we got on the ride sarcasm.gif ), Thunder Mountain (i got splashed twice sarcasm.gif ) , The Matterhorn, Space Mountain (won't do that one again, the flash bulb in the dark left Timothy stunned for about 20 minutes), Autopia (yes, Timothy DROVE applaudit.gif ) Splash Mountain (i got drenched sarcasm.gif ), Haunted Mansion (kinda scary for Tim), Disneyland Railroad (we went around the park TWICE) and the Jungle Cruise with its cheesy jokes. (me and Tyler luv'd those laugh.gif )
Then we jammed past the parade for Disneyland's 55th Birthday and across the mall to California Adventure. We road the Grizzly River Rafts (guess who got soaked? sarcasm.gif ), California Screamin (!!! seerious coastage !!!) and Soaring (vereh nice).

Then we "lost" Tim for about 30 seconds, which was terrifying. Tyler had been taking Tim to the men's rooms all along on the trip, and this time,
Tim had to go so bad that he didn't wait up for Tyler. Except that Tim dashed into the Women's Room instead,
and we had a moment of panic until we heard him "humming" and tracked him down. *whew*

I had wanted to take Tim on the Monorail after I figured out that was what he was asking for, calling it "bullet train". like *duh*, mom eyesre4.gif
next year for sure! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif he has already asked me about 20 times today for "Disneyland". laugh.gif

Woohooo! trink39.gif

It may be even easier on ya'll next time around.

You're braver than me, Roli. smile.gif So glad it went well!!!

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c167/RolindaBonz/07172010013.jpg

^^^my boyz wub.gif wub.gif

another thing i forgot to mention, that helped Tim to cope with the noise, crowds, new environment and break from routine, tho in sort of a strange way, was his truck.

you can see it in the A with him on his left.

before we left the house, i told Tim to "pick one car" to bring along. He chose a '57 Chevy Pick Up. biggrin.gif

anyway, wherever we went, whenever it was "time to go", i would ask Tim if he had his truck.

ok, yes. then we're good to go.

i think it served as a sort of continual reassurance for him. a little piece of home or something, i dunno.

he hung onto that thing the entire trip! cool.gif

Good lookin' guys, Roli!

It's good that our "babies" have big brothers, huh?

wub.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 19 2010, 02:04 PM)
Good lookin' guys, Roli!

It's good that our "babies" have big brothers, huh?

wub.gif

Thanx, GG! wub.gif

o i KNO! yes.gif Thank God for big brothers! trink36.gif

not only for a million practical purposes of helping out, but for example setting and affirming me as a parent as well.

its so hard to know what to do sometimes, how to raise a special needs child.

it makes me second guess myself often. sad.gif especially when others are staring down their nose at me, ya know.

but when i look at Tyler (same ingredients), i am reassured that the challenges we are facing are due to this thing called Autism and not just lousy parenting skilz.

its interesting. i know of a LOT of folks whose second child is afflicted, but not the first. what's up with that? unsure.gif

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Jul 19 2010, 04:27 PM)

applaudit.gif Awesome!!! I am soooooo happy that this turned out so well!

You have made my day reading that!!! :bravo:

QUOTE (sundog @ Jul 19 2010, 07:08 PM)
QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Jul 19 2010, 04:27 PM)
the Disneyland experiment was a huge success!  http://usera.ImageCave.com/RolindaBonz/Rolinda2/mickeyvacation.gif
and i bought trip insurance.  wink.gif

but Tyler, my older son (now 17), and i tag-teamed the poor boy, and Timothy gained no freedoms.  laugh.gif 
i kept him fed every 2 hrs and gave him lollipops on the airplane to ease the change in pressure.  he did complain once or twice on the way back into PHX tho  sad.gif

we swam while they showed The Princess and The Frog on a pool side screen, gave out beaded necklaces, popped popcorn, and invited everyone to ice and decorate a cookie.  http://usera.ImageCave.com/RolindaBonz/Rolinda2/mickeymouse.gif
they also gave Timothy a birthday button to wear, because he was turning 11. http://usera.ImageCave.com/RolindaBonz/Rolinda2/mickey.gif  <--Tim

Tim LUV'd the rollercoasters.  We hit Pirates of the Carribean (i sat down into a puddle as soon as we got on the ride  sarcasm.gif ), Thunder Mountain (i got splashed twice sarcasm.gif ) , The Matterhorn, Space Mountain (won't do that one again, the flash bulb in the dark left Timothy stunned for about 20 minutes), Autopia (yes, Timothy DROVE  applaudit.gif ) Splash Mountain (i got drenched  sarcasm.gif ), Haunted Mansion (kinda scary for Tim), Disneyland Railroad (we went around the park TWICE) and the Jungle Cruise with its cheesy jokes.  (me and Tyler luv'd those laugh.gif )
Then we jammed past the parade for Disneyland's 55th Birthday and across the mall to California Adventure.  We road the Grizzly River Rafts (guess who got soaked?  sarcasm.gif ), California Screamin  (!!! seerious coastage !!!) and Soaring (vereh nice).

We left after that.  yes.gif

I had wanted to take Tim on the Monorail after I figured out that was what he was asking for, calling it "bullet train".  like *duh*, mom eyesre4.gif 
next year for sure!  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif  he has already asked me about 20 times today for "Disneyland".  laugh.gif

applaudit.gif Awesome!!! I am soooooo happy that this turned out so well!

You have made my day reading that!!! :bravo:

How much fun for all three of you! 1022.gif on the roller coasters!

It's really great that Tim had such a good time. Glad you 3 got to do this.

RB--SO glad the Disney experiment turned out well! Such a relief, I know.

Just a few things I've picked up along the way...

I usually travel everywhere with a set of earplugs. Daniel still has some sound issues at age 15. For really bad noises--especially thunderstorms, we have the noise reducing ear protectors you might use at a gun range. It adds a nice level of comfort for him.

I too, have taken my son to Disney, TWICE. And thank goodness for that pass! I rarely wave the flag or ask for special considerations for my son...there wont always be a special pass in life, ya know?...but that one? oh yes indeed. It makes the experience just that much more tolerable, and enjoyable.

One caveat for that...we've also used it at Six Flags, and Daniel likes the roller coasters too! So we managed to get on SEVEN roller coaster rides. One should not try to do 7 roller coaster rides in a day. It will leave you green at day's end. smile.gif

wub.gif thank you sunny, mara and ms. megadon new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

cosmo.gif cosmo.gif cosmo.gif

and thanks for the tip about 6 flags!

tyler suggested we go to universal studios next time,

since tim did so well on the rides...luv'd them actually.

we'll add 6 flags to our wish list, too. 1287.gif

one thing i forgot to mention was "single file".

timothy doesn't seem to understand traffic,

not the danger of being in the street or parking lot,

not to get out of the way of on-coming carts in the grocery store,

nor to even avoid bumping into other people walking.

and crowded places are extremely difficult on BOTH of us.

i'm afraid he will get separated/lost from me,

and he doesn't want to hold hands for any extended period of time.

but Disneyland was sooo very crowded, that we got pretty good at walking single file.

i would lead, tell timmy to follow me and have tyler bring up the rear.

and sometimes, i would let tyler lead, and i would make sure tim didn't waver.

it worked quite well, since there were 3 of us. smile.gif

chalk up more points for teh big brothers everywhere! cheer.gif

This is a great article I found this morning.

7 Easy Ways to Help a Family Diagnosed With Autism

All wonderful ideas. Sometimes it's hard to ask for help, you know? Share this with someone you know who wants to help. Almost everyone knows a family affected.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Aug 18 2010, 08:50 AM)

All wonderful ideas. Sometimes it's hard to ask for help, you know? Share this with someone you know who wants to help. Almost everyone knows a family affected.

Great article. I think this should be required reading for everyone. It would definitely help alot of people out there.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Aug 18 2010, 09:50 AM)

funny...i actually came across this article yesterday as well. Good ideas.

Here is an article from my local paper (online) that tells about a guide dog who helps an 8 year old boy with autism (along the lines of a seeing eye dog):

http://auburnpub.com/news/local/article_2d...1cc4c03286.html

I've never heard of this before but it's a great idea if it works for sure.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Sep 8 2010, 08:07 AM)
Here is an article from my local paper (online) that tells about a guide dog who helps an 8 year old boy with autism (along the lines of a seeing eye dog):

kewl! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

its hard for me to put that together. we have a black lab, but Tim has never really paid much attention to him,,,other than complain that Turbo steals the ball and won't give it back. laugh.gif

i wonder if the advantage comes from other people recognizing a special needs student and offering a lil extra grace? cheer.gif

other than that, i don't see the distinct advantage of the dog. confused13.gif

what is the dog helping with, exactly? unsure.gif

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Sep 9 2010, 11:57 PM)
QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Sep 8 2010, 08:07 AM)

kewl! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

its hard for me to put that together. we have a black lab, but Tim has never really paid much attention to him,,,other than complain that Turbo steals the ball and won't give it back. laugh.gif

i wonder if the advantage comes from other people recognizing a special needs student and offering a lil extra grace? cheer.gif

other than that, i don't see the distinct advantage of the dog. confused13.gif

what is the dog helping with, exactly? unsure.gif

I looked into this a little further...this is from the ASDA's website (Autism Service Dogs of America):

Our service dogs provide a physical and emotional anchor for children with autism. With their child tethered to a service dog, families feel they are newly freed to engage in activities as simple as shopping at the mall. On the streets, parents are relieved of the worry their child might run away. In many cases, the service dog accompanies the child to school, where its calming presence can minimize and often eliminate emotional outbursts, enabling the child to more fully participate. Transitioning among school day activities is eased and the service dog provides a focus through which the child can interact with other children. This helps increase the opportunity for the child to develop social and language skills.

Makes a little more sense as to why they are available.

Family to Receive $1.5M in First-Ever Vaccine-Autism Court Award

The first court award in a vaccine-autism claim is a big one. CBS News has learned the family of Hannah Poling will receive more than $1.5 million dollars for her life care; lost earnings; and pain and suffering.

Hannah was described as normal, happy and precocious in her first 18 months.

Then, in July 2000, she was vaccinated against nine diseases in one doctor's visit: measles, mumps, rubella, polio, varicella, diphtheria, pertussis, tetanus, and Haemophilus influenzae.

Afterward, her health declined rapidly. She developed high fevers, stopped eating, didn't respond when spoken to, began showing signs of autism, and began having screaming fits. In 2002, Hannah's parents filed an autism claim in federal vaccine court. Five years later, the government settled the case before trial and had it sealed. It's taken more than two years for both sides to agree on how much Hannah will be compensated for her injuries.

In acknowledging Hannah's injuries, the government said vaccines aggravated an unknown mitochondrial disorder Hannah had which didn't "cause" her autism, but "resulted" in it. It's unknown how many other children have similar undiagnosed mitochondrial disorder. All other autism "test cases" have been defeated at trial. Approximately 4,800 are awaiting disposition in federal vaccine court.

Source

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Sep 10 2010, 01:39 AM)
Family to Receive $1.5M in First-Ever Vaccine-Autism Court Award

The first court award in a vaccine-autism claim is a big one. CBS News has learned the family of Hannah Poling will receive more than $1.5 million dollars for her life care; lost earnings; and pain and suffering.

Hannah was described as normal, happy and precocious in her first 18 months.

Then, in July 2000, she was vaccinated against nine diseases in one doctor's visit: measles, mumps, rubella, polio, varicella, diphtheria, pertussis, tetanus, and Haemophilus influenzae.

Afterward, her health declined rapidly. She developed high fevers, stopped eating, didn't respond when spoken to, began showing signs of autism, and began having screaming fits. In 2002, Hannah's parents filed an autism claim in federal vaccine court. Five years later, the government settled the case before trial and had it sealed. It's taken more than two years for both sides to agree on how much Hannah will be compensated for her injuries.

In acknowledging Hannah's injuries, the government said vaccines aggravated an unknown mitochondrial disorder Hannah had which didn't "cause" her autism, but "resulted" in it. It's unknown how many other children have similar undiagnosed mitochondrial disorder. All other autism "test cases" have been defeated at trial. Approximately 4,800 are awaiting disposition in federal vaccine court.

Source

I don't doubt that this may prove important to some families. However, I cannot imagine letting someone give my child NINE shots in one day! Once, Stephen got 5 and it still makes me sick to think of it.

He never had the reactions that some kids do post-vaccine, so I don't think they played a role in his autism.

Something did, for sure, but in his case it wasn't shots.

I hope the money really helps the family involved. God knows we could use some funds. Having a child with autism is expensive.

QUOTE (Arleen2112 @ Sep 15 2010, 06:50 PM)
Found this article and thought you might be interested in reading it smile.gif

Canadian researchers find possible cause of autism

Really interesting stuff, thank you Arleen. hug2.gif

After today, I finally understand what the haircut mess is all about. My little student had a haircut yesterday, and all of the work I've been doing with him went out the window for the entire day. He just couldn't get it together, and he's not that severe.

I can't imagine what his mother went through last night.

hug2.gif to all of you who have to live this over and over.

QUOTE (nettiesaur @ Nov 2 2010, 09:12 PM)
After today, I finally understand what the haircut mess is all about. My little student had a haircut yesterday, and all of the work I've been doing with him went out the window for the entire day. He just couldn't get it together, and he's not that severe.

Nettie..

oh I remember those days. ohmy.gif It got better...and thankfully we have a wonderful barber who was very patient with him.

My son trusts him so much now that he lets the barber give him a (electric) shave. smile.gif My how far we've come!

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Nov 3 2010, 12:12 PM)
QUOTE (nettiesaur @ Nov 2 2010, 09:12 PM)

Nettie..

oh I remember those days. ohmy.gif It got better...and thankfully we have a wonderful barber who was very patient with him.

My son trusts him so much now that he lets the barber give him a (electric) shave. smile.gif My how far we've come!

This kid got a buzz. He must have screamed the entire time, because he hasn't stopped whining for 2 days.

Really, I don't know how any of you do it.