Autism

GhostGirl

QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Nov 22 2010, 07:51 AM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ Nov 22 2010, 02:24 AM)
QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Nov 22 2010, 04:04 AM)
He singled out what I said to him with that followup about Asperger's, which to me seemed completely out of left-field...

I think you are being too sensitive here.

I myself have Aspergers and I actually appreciate people pointing out something that I have done "oddly" or "wrong".

Sometimes people get upset or annoyed on our behalf when there is no real need, thouh I appreciate your motives. smile.gif

Hon, I only got upset at the comment after the fact that even after agreeing with him (just not the way he went about it), he got upset with me for saying so, and then made a really random comment about maybe he had Asperger's. Yes, perhaps I was a little touchy about it, because my son was recently diagnosed, and I hate the thought of people being singled out because of a disability - but also because of what my husband is going through with his work right now (he's going to be going in for a neuro-psych eval to find out if he has it as well and it's just been misdiagnosed as ADHD all this time)...he's on the verge of being fired, and I'm under a lot of strain between the two of their situations, so when I get a comment like that, seemingly out of left field, not related to anything, it just pushed a button. I didn't go off on him in there. I said something relatively mild, left it at that, and came into this thread to talk to people here about it...I'm generally un-confrontational. I don't like getting in peoples faces, even cybernettically.

I understand where you are coming from, and I appreciate you are under a fair bit of pressure, but from what I can see I don't think he meant any harm, and to be fair he couldn't know about your personal situation.

I think how you are feeling is colouring your response in this instance, which is understandable...it is a lot to worry about after all...I hope it works out for you and your husband.

QUOTE (Fridge @ Nov 22 2010, 02:58 AM)
QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Nov 22 2010, 07:51 AM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ Nov 22 2010, 02:24 AM)
QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Nov 22 2010, 04:04 AM)
He singled out what I said to him with that followup about Asperger's, which to me seemed completely out of left-field...

I think you are being too sensitive here.

I myself have Aspergers and I actually appreciate people pointing out something that I have done "oddly" or "wrong".

Sometimes people get upset or annoyed on our behalf when there is no real need, thouh I appreciate your motives. smile.gif

Hon, I only got upset at the comment after the fact that even after agreeing with him (just not the way he went about it), he got upset with me for saying so, and then made a really random comment about maybe he had Asperger's. Yes, perhaps I was a little touchy about it, because my son was recently diagnosed, and I hate the thought of people being singled out because of a disability - but also because of what my husband is going through with his work right now (he's going to be going in for a neuro-psych eval to find out if he has it as well and it's just been misdiagnosed as ADHD all this time)...he's on the verge of being fired, and I'm under a lot of strain between the two of their situations, so when I get a comment like that, seemingly out of left field, not related to anything, it just pushed a button. I didn't go off on him in there. I said something relatively mild, left it at that, and came into this thread to talk to people here about it...I'm generally un-confrontational. I don't like getting in peoples faces, even cybernettically.

I understand where you are coming from, and I appreciate you are under a fair bit of pressure, but from what I can see I don't think he meant any harm, and to be fair he couldn't know about your personal situation.

I think how you are feeling is colouring your response in this instance, which is understandable...it is a lot to worry about after all...I hope it works out for you and your husband.

Thanks hon smile.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Nov 16 2010, 09:56 PM)
Chances are good I'll be chiming in on this thread a lot, soon. Some of you may remember that my little Aedan was first evaluated for Autism when he was about 2 1/2 (real close to his third birthday). He was borderline and I was told he should be re-tested. Long story short, I've known something has been up with my little guy for many years now. I'm leaning more towards Asperger's which I understand is being classified as, "high-functioning" autistic. His "red flags" are pretty blaring. I had a two-hour IEP report meeting with his school (he attends a special needs pre-school) yesterday and it is really apparent that they all see screaming "red flags" and I see the same at home. So... hopefully he'll be re-evaluated ASAP.

Oddly, I'm not upset about this. I think because I've known for so long now that there was something up with my little guy. He has a number of issues so I think that has hindered a previous diagnosis. He was born with extreme low muscle tone, severe speech apraxia and mild motor apraxia. He has been seeing therapists (physical, occupational and speech) since he was three months old. Not like any of this is new too me. I figure, let's just do what needs to be done so we can get going on any help that he needs.

Just saw this, and didn't want to "read and run".

In one way this could be a good thing. Clearly identifying the problem will at least enable you to focus your energies into helping Aeden in the right way.

However, he already has that most priceless thing...a loving parent who will look out for him and fight his corner. smile.gif

As I have mentioned before, I have Aspergers, but unlike Aeden, I did not have anyone who cared about me enough to help me....It has been a very long , hard road indeed to get where I am today, and to be honest, the diagnosis I recieved in my early thirties really only served to draw a line under it all.

Anyway, I am sure you will be a huge resource to him, but if you ever need a little perspective from someone who knows only too well what it is like and who had to become self-reliant very quickly, then feel free o ask, either publicly or via PM.

I always offer this to people nowadays, as I would hate for all the pain I endured to be for nothing, and if I can pass on some "survival" tips then it would certainly make me feel better...

QUOTE (Fridge @ Nov 22 2010, 01:43 AM)
Chances are good I'll be chiming in on this thread a lot, soon. Some of you may remember that my little Aedan was first evaluated for Autism when he was about 2 1/2 (real close to his third birthday). He was borderline and I was told he should be re-tested. Long story short, I've known something has been up with my little guy for many years now. I'm leaning more towards Asperger's which I understand is being classified as, "high-functioning" autistic. His "red flags" are pretty blaring. I had a two-hour IEP report meeting with his school (he attends a special needs pre-school) yesterday and it is really apparent that they all see screaming "red flags" and I see the same at home. So... hopefully he'll be re-evaluated ASAP.

Oddly, I'm not upset about this. I think because I've known for so long now that there was something up with my little guy. He has a number of issues so I think that has hindered a previous diagnosis. He was born with extreme low muscle tone, severe speech apraxia and mild motor apraxia. He has been seeing therapists (physical, occupational and speech) since he was three months old. Not like any of this is new too me. I figure, let's just do what needs to be done so we can get going on any help that he needs.

In one way this could be a good thing. Clearly identifying the problem will at least enable you to focus your energies into helping Aeden in the right way.

However, he already has that most priceless thing...a loving parent who will look out for him and fight his corner. smile.gif

As I have mentioned before, I have Aspergers, but unlike Aeden, I did not have anyone who cared about me enough to help me....It has been a very long , hard road indeed to get where I am today, and to be honest, the diagnosis I recieved in my early thirties really only served to draw a line under it all.

Anyway, I am sure you will be a huge resource to him, but if you ever need a little perspective from someone who knows only too well what it is like and who had to become self-reliant very quickly, then feel free o ask, either publicly or via PM.

I always offer this to people nowadays, as I would hate for all the pain I endured to be for nothing, and if I can pass on some "survival" tips then it would certainly make me feel better...

I rely on my mom gut and can be a real pit bull when it comes to my kids.

Back in October I had the referral from A's pediatrician for an autism re-eval and finally heard back from someone last week. Had a brief conversation with them and waited for them to get back to me, letting me know when they could see Aedan. They called two days ago saying they could see him in approximately nine months. Now... I'm a pretty easy-going person but when it comes to my kids, I will pull out the talons. I had to play the bitch card with this situation. Suffice it to say, she called back in 30 minutes saying they could see him next week.

I'm not saying I want to hear that he has autism but I'm looking forward to getting going on all the opportunities and resources that are out there for him (and us).

AutismTransitionProgram

So, this is where I'm at with my son.

Daniel is 15 now, and what looms ahead is adulthood. Without the safety of school, or daycare services, or afterschool activities. I've got A LOT to do and he's got a lot to learn...but he is making progress.

I realized I've been more protective than I should, but how can I not? smile.gif Letting go a little at a time, and he's surprising me in really wondergful ways! But then he reels back to inappropriate behaviors...talking out loud in class, growling at his para, playing with his hair (stim)...one step forward, two steps back.

He did start taking the local train 2 days a week without an adult. He travels with another boy with a similar diagnosis who is more savvy than my son. So that's uber cool! BIG step forward.

Just wanted to share from the place where I'm at...

Study: Brain Scans Accurate at Spotting Autism

Study: Brain Scans Accurate at Spotting Autism

U.S. researchers are closing in on an accurate test for autism, a finding that could lead to earlier diagnosis and treatment.

The test, which uses conventional magnetic resonance imaging or MRI machines, detected 94 percent of individuals with a high-functioning form of autism, they reported on Thursday.

"These results are the best yet in the search for a biological basis in terms of being able to distinguish those with and without the disease," said Nicholas Lange of Harvard Medical School, who directs the Neurostatistics Laboratory at McLean Hospital in Belmont, Massachusetts.

He said the findings, published in the journal Autism Research, were very preliminary, but if confirmed in several more and larger studies, they might replace current subjective tests now used to diagnose the disorder.

And, he said, they might also lead to better management and treatment of people with autism, a complex and mysterious brain disorder usually first diagnosed in early childhood.

Autism is characterized by difficulties in social interaction, communication, and understanding other people's emotions and behavior.

For the study, researchers at McLean and a team led by Dr. Janet Lainhart the University of Utah used an MRI that was tuned to pick up microscopic features of the brain's wiring -- a technique known as diffusion tensor imaging.

"You don't need any fancy equipment. This is performed around the world," Lange said in a telephone interview.

The team did scans of this type on the brains of 30 people with autism and 30 people without.

They found that the brain circuitry is significantly different in those with autism compared to people with normal brain function, specifically in areas of the brain that are engaged in language and social and emotional functioning.

By measuring six aspects of the brain's circuitry, the test was able to correctly pick out people who had been diagnosed with autism with 94 percent accuracy.

A repeat study using two different sets of subjects showed the same high level of performance.

Lange said the findings should help make the process of diagnosing autism more scientific because it would rely on a test rather than a subjective assessment.

And it may also offer an early diagnosis, which could help affected children get earlier intervention, when it is most likely to do some good.

"The basis of autism in the brain is very deep. There may be very little that one can actually change about the disorder for an individual with a severe case," Lange said.

"However, it has been shown that in the early stages of development, individuals have been aided by intense one-on-one caring to help them with language, social function with their peers and also with emotional problems," he said.

Autism disorders are diagnosed in one in 110 children in the United States and affect four times as many boys as girls.

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Dec 2 2010, 10:04 AM)
AutismTransitionProgram

So, this is where I'm at with my son.

Daniel is 15 now, and what looms ahead is adulthood. Without the safety of school, or daycare services, or afterschool activities. I've got A LOT to do and he's got a lot to learn...but he is making progress.

I realized I've been more protective than I should, but how can I not? smile.gif Letting go a little at a time, and he's surprising me in really wondergful ways! But then he reels back to inappropriate behaviors...talking out loud in class, growling at his para, playing with his hair (stim)...one step forward, two steps back.

He did start taking the local train 2 days a week without an adult. He travels with another boy with a similar diagnosis who is more savvy than my son. So that's uber cool! BIG step forward.

Just wanted to share from the place where I'm at...

glad to hear of the small steps forward, admire your caring as a parent.

QUOTE (Janie @ Nov 23 2010, 03:10 PM)

Back in October I had the referral from A's pediatrician for an autism re-eval and finally heard back from someone last week. Had a brief conversation with them and waited for them to get back to me, letting me know when they could see Aedan. They called two days ago saying they could see him in approximately nine months. Now... I'm a pretty easy-going person but when it comes to my kids, I will pull out the talons. I had to play the bitch card with this situation. Suffice it to say, she called back in 30 minutes saying they could see him next week.

I'm not saying I want to hear that he has autism but I'm looking forward to getting going on all the opportunities and resources that are out there for him (and us).

Good for you. Nine months.. Id have gone bananas.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Dec 5 2010, 07:47 PM)

The first time he was evaluated for autism, about two years ago, he couldn't talk and so they could only give him half of the ADOS. He had his first two-hour re-evaluation session last week and has his second (and last) two-hour session next week. At the end of the month, I will meet with the individual who evaluated him and she'll tell me her findings.

Aedan has some of the standard autism "red flags" but only a few. So, I'm curious as to how she's going to diagnose him. Everyone is pretty sure though that he will get a positive diagnosis.

One thing I hadn't thought of before was something his private speech therapist brought up the other day. She said that sometimes insurance companies will deny coverage for autistic children because they can't, "Be fixed." Has anyone else heard this or had coverage dropped?

Edited by Janie

QUOTE (Janie @ Dec 10 2010, 04:21 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Dec 5 2010, 07:47 PM)

The first time he was evaluated for autism, about two years ago, he couldn't talk and so they could only give him half of the ADOS. He had his first two-hour re-evaluation session last week and has his second (and last) two-hour session next week. At the end of the month, I will meet with the individual who evaluated him and she'll tell me her findings.

Aedan has some of the standard autism "red flags" but only a few. So, I'm curious as to how she's going to diagnose him. Everyone is pretty sure though that he will get a positive diagnosis.

One thing I hadn't thought of before was something his private speech therapist brought up the other day. She said that something insurance companies will deny coverage for autistic children because they can't, "Be fixed." Has anyone else heard this or had coverage dropped?

geez i hope thats not true. if it helps it helps!

For what it's worth, seeing as how we're on opposite sides of the country, I have no idea what kind of insurance you have, and many other factors:

We rarely if EVER mention Stephen's autism diagnosis in those words. It's always "developmental delay across all areas" or, in his case but not your son's, mental retardation. There are different codes, and we learned the hard way that blabbing the "a-word" will often cause roadblocks.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Dec 10 2010, 02:49 PM)
For what it's worth, seeing as how we're on opposite sides of the country, I have no idea what kind of insurance you have, and many other factors:

We rarely if EVER mention Stephen's autism diagnosis in those words.  It's always "developmental delay across all areas" or, in his case but not your son's, mental retardation.  There are different codes, and we learned the hard way that blabbing the "a-word" will often cause roadblocks.

hug2.gif i hate that its a "spectrum". angry.gif

every kid is so different. by the time we decipher the behaviors, we could right a book. thing is, the book would be barely relevant to anyone else.

i guess there are SOME similarities, but its so damned frustrating. sad.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Dec 10 2010, 03:49 PM)

We rarely if EVER mention Stephen's autism diagnosis in those words. It's always "developmental delay across all areas" or, in his case but not your son's, mental retardation. There are different codes, and we learned the hard way that blabbing the "a-word" will often cause roadblocks.

We speak in code here too. The school system uses Pervasive Developmental Delay as code for Autism, even if it's on the high side of the spectrum. You have to really read the education plan to figure out where the child is on the spectrum, and sometimes that doesn't even help. However, I understand that there is a need to not use autism as a term with insurance, since it isn't covered in this state either.

No, a child cannot be denied coverage because they are autistic. And if your speech therapist said that, I'd like her to back it up.

Do some services get denied? Sure, like anything else there are parameters within the insurance companies that they like to try to get around to avoid paying certain claims.

However, there is currently a sweeping change across the country with autism insurance reform...AUTISM VOTES

Some DOCTORS dont take insurance. My son's first (and fantastic) neurologist did not take insurance...so I saved for each visit...250 to 400 a pop. But she was the best, and I did it. His current neuro takes insurance, and honestly, we only go once a year to re-evaluate for Medicaid. Apparently Medicaid thinks autism will go away from year to year. (and who has the mental delay? unsure.gif )

You guys do know that you are eligible for Social Security Disability for your kids if you fall within certain financial parameters, right? With that usually comes Medicaid insurance...and with that you can get a Meidcaid Waiver, which gives you access to all kinds of services (or should) It's a long process, painfully long sometimes, but worth it.

Thankfully, we have very good insurance coverage. I'll be curious if we will need to be careful about our words if/when he's diagnosed. He had part two of his assessment this morning and I'll find out soon if he falls in the spectrum or not.

QUOTE (Janie @ Dec 13 2010, 03:19 PM)
Thankfully, we have very good insurance coverage. I'll be curious if we will need to be careful about our words if/when he's diagnosed. He had part two of his assessment this morning and I'll find out soon if he falls in the spectrum or not.

We have very good coverage too...and we still have to be careful. Just be aware. We found out the hard way.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Dec 13 2010, 04:49 PM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Dec 13 2010, 03:19 PM)

We have very good coverage too...and we still have to be careful. Just be aware. We found out the hard way.

Also good insurance thankfully! Though I've never tried to get therapies with it, since all that is offered in school.

The funny thing is? You say you have to say Pervasive Developmental Delay or what have you to get services. That dx doesnt get jack where I live. On paper, his dx is Autism.

It shouldnt be this complicated.

ALEX NEWS FROM RIAB. Last month he signed a Carparelli S3 guitar that will be auctioned off to raise money for Autism Speaks Canada.

I love hearing these stories about the charities that the Rush guys are involved with. This one, obviously, struck a chord with me. I thought others here would be interested too.

smile.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Dec 15 2010, 01:24 PM)
ALEX NEWS FROM RIAB. Last month he signed a Carparelli S3 guitar that will be auctioned off to raise money for Autism Speaks Canada.

I love hearing these stories about the charities that the Rush guys are involved with. This one, obviously, struck a chord with me. I thought others here would be interested too.

smile.gif

most excellent. thanks for posting!

QUOTE (Janie @ Dec 15 2010, 01:24 PM)

smile.gif

653.gif 653.gif wub.gif wub.gif AlexFinal.gif wub.gif wub.gif 653.gif 653.gif

So... we just got the official diagnosis and he does have autism. I guess he had a ton of strengths but he still scored on the ADOS. No surprises here, really. They say he needs to continue with his speech therapy to help him with speech patterns. He scored average in a lot of areas but scored less-than-average in speech production/social interation. Surprisingly he scored very high in other areas.

Once school starts back up, I'm going to be really curious about his progress. I'm also anxious to see what programs are now available to us and what groups and activities are available for him.

QUOTE (Janie @ Dec 29 2010, 03:10 PM)
So... we just got the official diagnosis and he does have autism. I guess he had a ton of strengths but he still scored on the ADOS. No surprises here, really. They say he needs to continue with his speech therapy to help him with speech patterns. He scored average in a lot of areas but scored less-than-average in speech production/social interation. Surprisingly he scored very high in other areas.

Once school starts back up, I'm going to be really curious about his progress. I'm also anxious to see what programs are now available to us and what groups and activities are available for him.

Ok, so now you have it. A diagnosis. Wasnt so bad, right?

A concern though...you say "he has autism"...but you also say he scored average or high on most of the tests. The only ones he had real issue with is speech/social interaction? And this is what they are basing the dx?

He falls on the spectrum you say, but where? Did they tell you? The spectrum, is, as name suggests, rather varied. What you describe are pretty much the same issues my son now has. BUT, when he was small, and first dx'd, he was much more off the chart, and didnt score very high at all.

I say all this because

A) Some doctors say "autism" and it isnt.

B.) If his issues are minor now, then he's got a real shot at being more "typical" than not.

C) The more you know about what his dx really means, the easier it will be to match him up to services/activities.

Good Luck! Welcome To Holland. I'm here if you have ANY questions at all. been there done that, as it were. heart.gif

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Dec 29 2010, 10:11 PM)

A concern though...you say "he has autism"...but you also say he scored average or high on most of the tests. The only ones he had real issue with is speech/social interaction? And this is what they are basing the dx?

He falls on the spectrum you say, but where? Did they tell you? The spectrum, is, as name suggests, rather varied. What you describe are pretty much the same issues my son now has. BUT, when he was small, and first dx'd, he was much more off the chart, and didnt score very high at all.

I say all this because

B.) If his issues are minor now, then he's got a real shot at being more "typical" than not.

C) The more you know about what his dx really means, the easier it will be to match him up to services/activities.

Good Luck! Welcome To Holland. I'm here if you have ANY questions at all. been there done that, as it were. heart.gif

Did your doctor mention Asperger's at all? I'm not sure how old your son is...Asperger's is usually not diagnosed before age 3. If he's high functioning in a lot of areas, it could be that.

My son has Asperger's...diagnosed at age 10, but his interaction, reading emotions, etc., are all much better (without any real therapy) as compared to age 6, and he's extremely high functioning at school, so if he's really high scoring in a lot of areas, it could be that.

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Dec 29 2010, 08:19 PM)
QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Dec 29 2010, 10:11 PM)

I say all this because

Did your doctor mention Asperger's at all? I'm not sure how old your son is...Asperger's is usually not diagnosed before age 3. If he's high functioning in a lot of areas, it could be that.

My son has Asperger's...diagnosed at age 10, but his interaction, reading emotions, etc., are all much better (without any real therapy) as compared to age 6, and he's extremely high functioning at school, so if he's really high scoring in a lot of areas, it could be that.

Yes, that's what we're thinking. Once I see her report, I'll know a lot more about her diagnosis.

Edited by Janie