Autism

GhostGirl

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Feb 11 2011, 09:59 AM)
LSM, the eating/feeding issues are, unfortunately, par for the course with autism.  Stephen used to eat anything and everything, then, right around 18 months, he started narrowing his choices.  Over the years he has dropped all fruits, all vegetables - he eats mostly carbs and drinks only water.  Period.

We used to try forcing him to try new foods, but having him gag and throw up kind of ruined everyone's appetites.  So, we continue to offer new foods, and sometimes he'll take a bite.  Otherwise, we give him a vitamin and hope for the best.

How well I remember the days of trying to guess what he wanted to eat.  Have you begun implementing a PECS system?  The easiest way to start is with foods.  Make pictures of the ones he likes, and just begin showing him the picture of goldfish crackers (or whatever) continually when he's eating them.  It took Stephen about 2 years to really get the hang of how it worked, so it's time to start that now if you haven't already.  But I can almost guarantee you that one day it'll click and he'll realize that if he hands you the picture of what he wants, then you'll give him that food.

We rely completely on visual prompts and schedules for Stephen.  It helps a lot.

Thanks M heart.gif His therapists have started with PECS, though it hasn't been very successful so far. He doesn't really comprehend the concept just yet. I'm really hoping he will catch on, because one of my greatest frustrations is his lack of ability to communicate his wants and needs.

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Feb 11 2011, 11:02 AM)
aw, LSM...most of what you describe is typical terrible twos. I wouldnt worry so much about what he's eating...sounds like a perfectly fine breakfast and hell, bacon pizza?...kid has good taste! LOL

If he's gaining weight, has energy enough to throw things around and the doctor has no concerns about his general well being, leave it alone. He's 2 and has a 2 year old palate. Dont guess at what he likes or buy all kinds of crazy stuff. Give him what he likes, and a little of what you are having. Put bacon on other things, that might get his attention.

I agree with GG though on picture boards if you can get started with that, doesnt have to be anything complicated, but they surely help.

When your spitfire is on the warpath, do you do any deep pressure therapy or brushing therapy?

IE: Deep Pressure...hold him, wrap him up tightly in your arms, legs, your whole body, and just hold him firmly. Sing to him, tell him a story, whatever. He'll bitch, but just hang on, he'll come back. It helps reorganize their stimulus. Make a game, roll him up in a blanket, (not his face) the heavier the better...tell him he's an egg roll or a burrito, or blintz. laugh.gif (might get him thinking about food!)

Also a different sort of deep pressure, put cutouts of hands on wall or door, and when boy gets out of whack, tell him "Push the wall!" have him push with all his little might up against the immovable force...make grunting musclehead noises to encourage his strength and make him laugh.

Brushing...you know the brushes surgeons use to scrub up? go to your local surgical supply store, or check online, and get one of those. Then sit little hellion child down once or twice a day, and brush away! His arms, his back, his legs...this too helps reorganize his brain and brings him back.

Sounds like he's looking for sensory input...bounce him around a little, throw a beach ball at him, so it bounces off of him, not as catch. Roll him on a yoga ball (did wonders for my boys balance!) spin him in circles. Dont over do of course, just play.

And as far as explaining autism, dont try. My son is almost 16, and some of my most beloved family members still dont get it and are still unnecessarily wary of my boy. Get some articles, buy the book "Ten Things Children with Autism wish you knew" and give it to them. Then just get back to the business of Niall, he is your concern, not them.

hang in there girl! We're here for you! wub.gif

Thanks K heart.gif He is still gaining weight, and he's still growing at a good clip, I think he's grown another inch in the past week! He hasn't been to see the Pediatrician in a few months - we lost insurance when Dave lost his job, and we're working on getting him on the state funded kids insurance program.

So far he hasn't gotten sick of eating the pizza, but I know that it won't last long - I think what happened with the chicken is he got sick of having it every night. I'd like to try switching up the pizza every other night, but right now there's nothing else I can think of that he'll eat. I've even tried putting bacon with the chicken - no luck there laugh.gif The one thing he REALLY likes is Snyder's Veggie Fries - they're all natural baked "fries" made with potato, tomato and spinach. So at least he's getting some vegetable input. He drinks a TON of milk, and likes Danimals too. He also drinks water with apple juice. We're hesitant to introduce more liquids, even though doing the V8 Splash juice will introduce more veggies to him, because he leaks through his diapers almost every night when he goes to bed.

As for the deep pressure, yes, we do "squishes" with him when he's Stimming, running around and getting out of control. Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't. We have a bounce ball that he loves to go on, but sometimes it works in the opposite way we'd like - it gets him more excited lol I've never heard about the brushing though? Not too sure what brush you're referring to...can you find me a link so I can see what it looks like? Those are ALL great ideas, and I'm going to save this post in a notepad on my laptop so that we can refer to it easily in the future! And that book is a great idea - when we have the spare $$ I'll certainly pick up a copy!

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Feb 11 2011, 06:50 PM)
oh and the bed thing?  Put two sets of sheets on his mattress, and a towel under that...helps with middle of the night bed changing.

genius! i'm going to try that tonite! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

thanks, QueenieGirl! wub.gif trink38.gif

LSM, my Timothy likes eggo waffles too. yes.gif

and ravioli from the can

and hot dogs (with CHILI!!! i just found out today)

chicken and tots, with LOTS of ketchup

and fishsticks and fries, with LOTS of ketchup

...orange wedges (with the peel still on...he doesn't eat the peel, but chews the pulp off of the rind)

oh! and pb&j common001.gif

and spaghetti with meatballs smile.gif

that's about it. he's 11 now. wub.gif

Three hour tantrums...I wish I'd never dealt with them, but I have. Well, I've endured them. At some point, you let your mind wander away and you pray - even when you're not normally a praying person.

My baby turned 11 yesterday. Because we celebrated his birthday on Sunday and he got to open his presents then, we didn't even dare wish him a happy b'day yesterday for fear he'd start wanting to "open" again. It's hard to put into words the resigned, wistful sadness I felt because I couldn't even smile at him and say "Happy Birthday Stephen." Those intangible things - like being able to just TALK to him about stuff and explain things that don't make sense - those are the things I grieve over the most.

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Feb 16 2011, 01:14 AM)
hooray for titanium anchors!

oh dayam, now i feel insufficient as a mother. eh.gif

what do you do when a temper tantrum lasts 3 hours???

actually, now that I've read it again, I went to the internet and started looking, and of course, something came up.

Sensory Processing/Tantrums

As I mentioned earlier, he sounds like he's looking for sensory input. You need to establish some process, daily, several times daily even, to give him that input. Check into some of the things I suggested, check some websites...this particular kind of therapy is pretty simple to put together on your own. Once you get yourself situated with insurance and such (have you tried Social Security? He should be eligible for SSI benefits and/or medicaid) maybe the doctor will prescribe meds...though I'm not a proponent and my son never really needed them...keep asking questions, listen to your gut most importantly.

As always, here if you need any more help. smile.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Feb 16 2011, 10:06 AM)
...Those intangible things - like being able to just TALK to him about stuff and explain things that don't make sense - those are the things I grieve over the most....

hug2.gif hug2.gif I know Niall is only 2 and he may well start talking within the year, but I know just what you mean here. heart.gif

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Feb 11 2011, 08:47 PM)
BRUSH

TECHNIQUE

TEN THINGS EVERY CHILD WITH AUTISM WISHES YOU KNEW ARTICLE

ask and you shall receive hon! wub.gif

PS--I'd put the food issues to the back burner, try of course, but dont make it one of your battles...you have enough. PM me anytime if you need anything. xo

Thank you so much hon! I talked with his OT and this was her reply,

Kathy,
I am very familiar with this. The Wilbarger Protocol is something I have done with several other children, most often those a bit older than Niall, as they have to be able to tolerate the input several times each day. It is most often utilized to assist in decreasing tactile defensiveness. I have also seen it help with regulating some children. I tend to trial various other methods of treatment prior to introducing this program simply because of the time commitment and tolerance required from the kiddos. It is a large commitment for you and Dave as the program calls for the brushing to occur every 90 minutes to 2 hours, although I know you will both do anything to help Niall!! The brushes are $2 each through Easter Seals and I would be more than happy to bring one out to the house as well as some information explaining the program.

I love his therapist - she is a veritable font of information, and I usually defer to her judgment. So for now, we'll only use this as a last resort method, if all other methods fail. But I REALLY appreciate all the information hug2.gif

QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Feb 18 2011, 01:57 AM)
QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Feb 11 2011, 08:47 PM)
BRUSH

TECHNIQUE

TEN THINGS EVERY CHILD WITH AUTISM WISHES YOU KNEW ARTICLE

ask and you shall receive hon! wub.gif

PS--I'd put the food issues to the back burner, try of course, but dont make it one of your battles...you have enough.  PM me anytime if you need anything.  xo

Thank you so much hon! I talked with his OT and this was her reply,

Kathy,
I am very familiar with this. The Wilbarger Protocol is something I have done with several other children, most often those a bit older than Niall, as they have to be able to tolerate the input several times each day. It is most often utilized to assist in decreasing tactile defensiveness. I have also seen it help with regulating some children. I tend to trial various other methods of treatment prior to introducing this program simply because of the time commitment and tolerance required from the kiddos. It is a large commitment for you and Dave as the program calls for the brushing to occur every 90 minutes to 2 hours, although I know you will both do anything to help Niall!! The brushes are $2 each through Easter Seals and I would be more than happy to bring one out to the house as well as some information explaining the program.

I love his therapist - she is a veritable font of information, and I usually defer to her judgment. So for now, we'll only use this as a last resort method, if all other methods fail. But I REALLY appreciate all the information hug2.gif

You did absolutely the right thing conferring with those who know Niall best. biggrin.gif Truthfully, I never did the rigorous brushing. Just a couple times a day, for as long as he'd tolerate it...usually no more than half an hour.

You and Niall's therapist can work out if and when he's ready, (so glad you have someone who is so wonderful!) and I'm certainly happy to pass along whatever info I have. smile.gif

Last night was bad. SO BAD.

Two long crying jags, one because a certain Bob the Builder VHS episode isn't on YouTube. Miserable for all involved. Hitting head, hitting me, screaming.

And I can't reason with him. I can't explain that some stuff just isn't there. I can't figure out how to use pictures to explain this. And just letting him cry it out drives me to the brink of insanity. Seriously.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Feb 18 2011, 09:57 AM)
Last night was bad. SO BAD.

Two long crying jags, one because a certain Bob the Builder VHS episode isn't on YouTube. Miserable for all involved. Hitting head, hitting me, screaming.

And I can't reason with him. I can't explain that some stuff just isn't there. I can't figure out how to use pictures to explain this. And just letting him cry it out drives me to the brink of insanity. Seriously.

Believe it or not, still deal with that kind of thing from time to time. I told my son I'd pick him up early from school last week, but on my way there got a flat. Called school told him he'd have to stay. He SCREECHED at me over the phone...WHY DO YOU HAVE A FLAT????????.

mind you, he's nearly 16. *sigh*

GG...did you try the website HULU? Even iTunes sometimes has vids...we downloaded Thomas the Tank engine to my sons iPod. I'd imagine you dont have the tape/dvd else problem solved...maybe look for it on eBay? I often found older shows in second hand childrens stores.

(what episode? I may still have some Bob The Builder around...)

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Feb 18 2011, 11:59 AM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Feb 18 2011, 09:57 AM)
Last night was bad.  SO BAD.

Two long crying jags, one because a certain Bob the Builder VHS episode isn't on YouTube.  Miserable for all involved.  Hitting head, hitting me, screaming.

And I can't reason with him.  I can't explain that some stuff just isn't there.  I can't figure out how to use pictures to explain this.  And just letting him cry it out drives me to the brink of insanity.  Seriously.

Believe it or not, still deal with that kind of thing from time to time. I told my son I'd pick him up early from school last week, but on my way there got a flat. Called school told him he'd have to stay. He SCREECHED at me over the phone...WHY DO YOU HAVE A FLAT????????.

mind you, he's nearly 16. *sigh*

GG...did you try the website HULU? Even iTunes sometimes has vids...we downloaded Thomas the Tank engine to my sons iPod. I'd imagine you dont have the tape/dvd else problem solved...maybe look for it on eBay? I often found older shows in second hand childrens stores.

(what episode? I may still have some Bob The Builder around...)

Thanks, Queen...

We DO have the VHS tape AND the DVD...but he wants it on his iPad. The kicker is that some vids on YouTube aren't yet formatted for the iPad, so they'll play on the computer but not the iPad...

I never knew that would be an issue.

Plus, stupid me didn't really know that iPads don't support Flash video. So many of the sites Stephen loves (PBS Kids, Nickelodeon) won't play on his iPad.